Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Quick question; I am on slim 3.7 and I am thinking of upgrading to slim 3.9.

Can I do that without wiping all my apps, screen layouts etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

DRose1 wrote: »
    Quick question; I am on slim 3.7 and I am thinking of upgrading to slim 3.9.

Can I do that without wiping all my apps, screen layouts etc?

I think the framework changes are going from 3.6 to 3.7, check the changelog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Flashed Apex to replace Lightning, the Launcher2 app replacement didn't seem to have any customisation from what I could see.

Just OOC does anyone else have very poor battery life with slim? Noticed it last night when I flashed 3.9 and was hoping 4.0 might fix it but still no joy. Looking at only a few hours battery life tops without any real explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭rje66

anybody got the lowdown on downloading kies to my PC. tried it last night and it took appox 1 1/2 hours and then a message popped up from microsoft highly reccommending not to proceed with the initialisation:confused::confused::confused:

any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

rje66 wrote: »
    anybody got the lowdown on downloading kies to my PC. tried it last night and it took appox 1 1/2 hours and then a message popped up from microsoft highly reccommending not to proceed with the initialisation:confused::confused::confused:

any help appreciated.

Kies is a truly horrible piece of software. Are you looking to upgrade the firmware? If you are I recommend checking back through this thread over about the last 10 pages. There is a step by step guide explaining exactly how to go about doing it. Easy to follow and the slim rom is miles ahead of the stock samsung rom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭rje66

Kies is a truly horrible piece of software. Are you looking to upgrade the firmware? If you are I recommend checking back through this thread over about the last 10 pages. There is a step by step guide explaining exactly how to go about doing it. Easy to follow and the slim rom is miles ahead of the stock samsung rom.

got the phone last week and just want to transfer work photos to PC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

When you install the driver you'll be able to manually drag and drop files into folders on the phone. Definitely stay away from Kies mate, it's nothing but hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

got the phone last week and just want to transfer work photos to PC

yeah if your computer is windows 7 or vista it should be plug and play. This means when you plug the phone into the computer it will install some stuff and then it will just appear like an external hard drive(usb stick) then just go to the appropriate folder and drag your pics across:)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 iwishiknew

any help appreciated.

Go to Settings...Wireless and Network....USB Settings and select Mass Storage

Avoid Kies. It is the syphillis of the software world

• Registered Users Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭G1032

Flashed Apex to replace Lightning, the Launcher2 app replacement didn't seem to have any customisation from what I could see.

Just OOC does anyone else have very poor battery life with slim? Noticed it last night when I flashed 3.9 and was hoping 4.0 might fix it but still no joy. Looking at only a few hours battery life tops without any real explanation.

Check whats using your battery with BetterBatteryStats

Link is to the paid version on the Market but there is a free version on XDA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Just thought I would tell you guys about this ROM if you haven't seen it. RemICS

It basically brings the Galaxy S3 UI to the Galaxy S. Lots of customising can be done just like Slim ICS, not as light on the memory but I have only noticed lag in the starting up of heavyish games.

If you wanna give it a try I think an update is set to come out soon so might be worth the wait.

I flashed it last night straight from Slim ICS no factory reset and the only thing that doesn't seem to be working for me is the ability to change the brightness by scrolling over the status bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭smurra3

*Sigh* My Galaxy S really doesn't seem to like me at the moment, maybe it knows I'll be replacing it with an S3 at the end of the month. Over the last few days the screen has started overheating quite badly near the top (very hot/burning to the touch) after its been in use for a while, particularly if I've been using the internet. Tempted to throw it into CPW and claim on my insurance, but the last time I left the phone into them they just reflashed the firmware and it took nearly a month to get it back off them.

I remember being in a similar situation last year, I had it in my coat pocket and i was putting my coat in the boot of the car. Then I accidently slammed the car boot on it. Cut it clean in half. No reflashing that bad boy. Vodafone insurance were really helpful and I got an S2 as a replacement. Needless to say I won't be putting my coat in the boot with my phone in the pocket again:-P ;-) :-P ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Since I've upgraded to Slim from Darkys about a month ago my gps hasnt been the same. When in navigation it doesnt keep up with the car as well as before, and search's for gps a lot more. Any ideas? Ive reinstalled Maps already but there doesn't seem to be any difference

Since I've upgraded to Slim from Darkys about a month ago my gps hasnt been the same. When in navigation it doesnt keep up with the car as well as before, and search's for gps a lot more. Any ideas? Ive reinstalled Maps already but there doesn't seem to be any difference

This fix recently worked for me after gps never working on ICS.

Go here and scroll down to get the uk.zip.

Don't bother flashing it as I't wouldn't work for me. Just extract the files and locate the uk.gps.conf file. Now using a root browser backup and replace your old gps.conf file with this one. It is in system/etc/ I think I renamed the uk.gps.conf to just gps.conf in case it interfered being named the first way.

Been working well ever since.

It's worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

shizz wrote: »
    This fix recently worked for me after gps never working on ICS.

Go here and scroll down to get the uk.zip.

Don't bother flashing it as I't wouldn't work for me. Just extract the files and locate the uk.gps.conf file. Now using a root browser backup and replace your old gps.conf file with this one. It is in system/etc/ I think I renamed the uk.gps.conf to just gps.conf in case it interfered being named the first way.

Been working well ever since.

It's worth a shot.
    Cheers, just replaced the file there. Going out in the car shortly so I'll give it a bash

Cheers, just replaced the file there. Going out in the car shortly so I'll give it a bash

The first lock seems to take the longest. Download the app "GPS Test", as you can see how many satellites you are using etc, and I noticed that it helps speed up the lock on when you have it open.

Simi wrote: »
    Is anyone else having trouble with the touch version of boards? Some posts are being cut off after the first line.

I just flashed the latest CM9 nightly and I want to check if anyone else is experiencing this before i report it.

I am now experiencing this on remICS. Have you found a fix?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Is anyone else having trouble with the touch version of boards? Some posts are being cut off after the first line.

I just flashed the latest CM9 nightly and I want to check if anyone else is experiencing this before i report it.

Bug logged here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Bug logged here.

Yeah that's it fixed for me. Cheers for reporting it!

I think something implemented in CM9 (which most unofficial ICS roms are based on) broke it.

I sent a bug report off weeks ago but I'd imagine a text display problem on a single Irish site is very low priority! :-D

Flashed the new REMics and it is fixed. Must of implemented the new CM9.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Wasn't a Rom issue lads, reading through the thread it was also reported on iPhone. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Raoul

On RemICS. I can't remember, how do you get maps to stop running in the background? Its wasting my battery so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Raoul wrote: »
    On RemICS. I can't remember, how do you get maps to stop running in the background? Its wasting my battery so much.

Dont know about that ROM but in general, stop google tracking your location in location settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I recently bought a new Galaxy S +. I'm having issues with the wireless connection. Drops intermittently every few hours/half hour. This is while I'm on my home network.

There's no issue with any other wireless device - laptop, iPhone or even my old Galaxy S.

The connection restores itself when I turn off and turn on the wireless again. Or just wait for it to restore itself.

I've tried several different wireless channels with no joy. Any suggestions on anything else I can try?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I recently bought a new Galaxy S +. I'm having issues with the wireless connection. Drops intermittently every few hours/half hour. This is while I'm on my home network.

There's no issue with any other wireless device - laptop, iPhone or even my old Galaxy S.

The connection restores itself when I turn off and turn on the wireless again. Or just wait for it to restore itself.

I've tried several different wireless channels with no joy. Any suggestions on anything else I can try?

Are you running the stock rom and which one? Have you any "power-saving" apps installed or app killers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Are you running the stock rom and which one? Have you any "power-saving" apps installed or app killers?

It's stock Gingerbread - upgraded the firmware at the weekend - after I found the issue with the wireless.

No power-saving or task killing apps installed. I have the same apps as I had on my previous Galaxy S but have installed far fewer of them to try and keep performance acceptable.

I should clarify as well - it's not the connection to the network that drops - it's the internet connection. I have no problem with internet on 3G at anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

What custom ROMS are people running at the moment?
    I've upgraded to Slim 4.2 from Slim 3.6 last night, just trying to get used to Lightning Launcher at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Raoul

I am on RemICS at the moment, V1.3. Its going pretty well.

I've upgraded to Slim 4.2 from Slim 3.6 last night, just trying to get used to Lightning Launcher at the moment.

euuugh that thing is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Cyanogenmod 9, its pretty good. I've been having issues with my Galaxy S lately (possibly Three issues) where people ring me the call dials on their end but I don't see the incoming call. It doesn't always happen, but usually the person ringing it rings until voicemail even though the phone is on, anybody else expierience similar? Also sometimes I do get the incoming call and manage to answer just before it goes to voicemail, but its been ringing for the person on the other end much longer

Nick

Advertisement