Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

No, but he was also arrested for making obscenities, so I guess that is what he was arrested for. Hopefully burning a Poppy isn't an offence.
    Two young lads arrested in the north for doing that last year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

GRMA wrote: »
    Two young lads arrested in the north for doing that last year
    during my student days in Belfast the cops were arresting lads for pissing in alleyways on the same obscenity laws.

crazy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

lohal wrote: »
    Many of these "scum" were Irish aprox 35000 Irish died in WWI 210000 Irish served in the British army in WWI there was no conscription in Ireland in that period. why should we forget them?

Talking of scum, there really is some hateful anti poppy stuff on here this year, which is disheartening, but not representitive of the wider Irish population . . . .

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them."

We will remember them.

during my student days in Belfast the cops were arresting lads for pissing in alleyways on the same obscenity laws.

crazy stuff.
    You also get hassled by the continuity RUC for wearing a lily... especially for selling them as I discovered last year. Loads of places you arent allowed wear a lily, and many employers require you wear a poppy

LordSutch wrote: »
    Talking of scum, there really is some hateful anti poppy stuff on here this year, which is disheartening, but not representitive of the wider Irish population . . . .

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them."

We will remember them.
    Hateful eh? Don't like the reality of your army being pointed out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You also get hassled by the continuity RUC for wearing a lily... especially for selling them as I discovered last year. Loads of places you arent allowed wear a lily, and many employers require you wear a poppy

maybe they were investigating complaints of a Lilly seller acting in a hypocritical manner?

Hateful eh? Don't like the reality of your army being pointed out?

The army I remember are long dead, they fought in WWI & WWII. My granddad was one of them, and I always wear a poppy in his/their memory, and as a result I dont like being called a quisling, scum, or other such terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Childish post of the day award has to go to that!

The army I remember are long dead, they fought in WWI & WWII. My granddad was one of them, and I always wear a poppy in his/their memory, and as a result I dont like being called a quisling, scum, or other such terms.
    My great grandfather served in both world wars, I dont need a poppy that glorifies the entire British army including those who butchered my countrymen to remember him, I visit his grave.

Childish post of the day award has to go to that!
    Its a term for the remnants of the RUC who are in the PSNI. Most PSNI people you meet on the beat are quite young and very professional, but you come across the odd bigot, hence the term continuity RUC.

• Advertisement

My great grandfather served in both world wars, I dont need a poppy that glorifies the entire British army including those who butchered my countrymen to remember him, I visit his grave.

You visit his grave and I wear my poppy, mutual respect then.

maybe they were investigating complaints of a Lilly seller acting in a hypocritical manner?
    You still havent pointed out how I'm a hypocrite....

And FWIW I wasnt selling or even wearing a lily, some of my friends were (they were who I was visiting).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Its a term for the remnants of the RUC who are in the PSNI. Most PSNI people you meet on the beat are quite young and very professional, but you come across the odd bigot, hence the term continuity RUC.
    I suggest you look back at the context in which you chose to use it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Hardly surprising the authorities would take an interest considering people like RSF sell them to raise cash.

You visit his grave and I wear my poppy, mutual respect then.
    Probably different in that I think he was wrong to join the BA. I visit it because he was a nice man to my parents when they were in trouble and I take my grandad. Nothing to do with him being a Brit.

I suggest you look back at the context in which you chose to use it then.
    Nothing wrong with the context I used it in.

Probably different in that I think he was wrong to join the BA. I visit it because he was a nice man to my parents when they were in trouble and I take my grandad. Nothing to do with him being a Brit.

My Granddad was a great man too, so like I say then, mutual respect.

PS: Whats with Michael D presenting a Laurel Wreath at the poppy day service in St Patricks Cathedral?

Whats the significance of a wreath made of laurel leaves?

My Granddad was a great man too, so like I say then, mutual respect.

PS: Whats with Michael D presenting a Laurel Wreath at the poppy day service in St Patricks Cathedral?

Whats the significance of a wreath made of laurel leaves?
    Enda Kenney and Gilmore both left Laural wreaths also. They didnt buy into the poppy nonsense so they left a normal wreath to remember the dead of WW1

I see, that's helpful.
    You have a problem with the wreath they left?

You still havent pointed out how I'm a hypocrite....

And FWIW I wasnt selling or even wearing a lily, some of my friends were (they were who I was visiting).

Because it glorifies people who have murdered innocent people. The very thing you complain about the Poppy.

• Advertisement

You have a problem with the wreath they left?

I asked a question as to the significance . . .

Because it glorifies people who have murdered innocent people. The very thing you complain about the Poppy.
    I don't wear a lily?

I see you've come to the conclusion that the BA are on a par with the IRA, an organization you despise.

And fwiw the lily is generally confined to remembering 1916, not every member of the IRA since then. A very small minority might wear it for that but that's not it's stated aim and purpose, unlike the poppy which is for every BA guy who died whether in Ireland, Kenya, Iraq or whatever

I don't wear a lily?

I see you've come to the conclusion that the BA are on a par with the IRA, an organization you despise.

And fwiw the lily is generally confined to remembering 1916, not every member of the IRA since then. A very small minority might wear it for that but that's not it's stated aim and purpose, unlike the poppy which is for every BA guy who died whether in Ireland, Kenya, Iraq or whatever

The Poppy and the Lilly are similar emblems. They remember the good, but also the bad get thrown in as well.

I suggest you read up a bit more about the Lilly. You yourself said it gives money to the NGA (A great organisation I think you called it). The NGA currently have memorials to people who killed innocents, including the men behind the 1939 bomb in Coventry that killed five people and injured another 72.

It also commemorates Sean Russell, a man who conspired with the Nazis to invade Ireland, in the name of Irish freedom of course.

I don't have a problem with people wearing a Lilly, because there is a lot more to it than just the people I mention. I do have a problem with people wearing it and chastising people for wearing the Poppy. That is hypocritical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Because it glorifies people who have murdered innocent people. ...........

It does?
    The Poppy and the Lilly are similar emblems. They remember the good, but also the bad get thrown in as well............

You seem to be equating fighting in a liberation struggle with fighting for an empire Fred.

Presumably you'd like the them banned, along with various republican views, republican ballads......

Nodin wrote: »
    Presumably you'd like the them banned, along with various republican views, republican ballads......
    Of course... the evil wolfe tones playing in a hotel... should be banned

It does?
    yes, as I have already pointed out.
    You seem to be equating fighting in a liberation struggle with fighting for an empire Fred.

in other words, it is acceptable to kill innocent people if it is in the name of Ireland.

I mean, after all, what's a few dead Brits :rolleyes:

Nice to see you belittle an act of blatant terrorism.

http://www.historiccoventry.co.uk/articles/s-shaw.php

..thats what he said, essentially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

..thats what he said, essentially.

And you effectively said it was ok for the ira to murder British people.... After all, it was for "liberation". You know, of Northern Ireland where the majority want to stay British. In fact, you could almost call it empire building by the Irish, invading a foreign land and murdering innocents such as those in enniskillen...

• Advertisement

summerskin wrote: »
    And you effectively said it was ok for the ira to murder British people.... After all, it was for "liberation". You know, of Northern Ireland where the majority want to stay British. In fact, you could almost call it empire building by the Irish, invading a foreign land and murdering innocents such as those in enniskillen...

My, we do love to over-speculate and rant, don't we?

Advertisement