Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgusting things in restaurants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Vaguely related, but I once had to collect some equipment from a butcher's shop in west Dublin.

The public part of the shop was like any normal butchers, with counters of meat all nicely displayed etc. The rear of the shop, and enclosed back yard were like something from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre :eek:

The floor was covered with meat in various states of decay. One of the things I was to collect was a machine that sliced up the joints of meat into rashers. It was still being used when I arrived, and was literally covered in maggots. There were rats in the back yard and I don't think I've ever seen so many flies!

The shop was in a small parade of four or five others, how they didn't complain about the stench and flies etc I'll never know.

The locals must have become immune to the bacteria, as the place had a queue out the door the hour or so I spent there.

Eeeew, SICK!!!! What town is this place in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

After working in restaurants I've noticed that older customers are generally messier than kids.

One day I went to clean up a table a group of adults had been sitting at. It was filthy. There were crumbs everywhere and sauce all over the table. The bottom was worse: spilled drinks, burger buns and even half a burger.

These were adults in their fifties.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CorkBabe33

newmug wrote: »
    <p></p>
    <p> </p>

I once frequented a restuarant ran by an Asain family. Because of where I was working at the time, I became a regular there. Once, when the family got friendly enough, the son asked me where the local dog pound was!!!!!:eek::eek::eek: I told him, and asked him why he wanted to know. He came up with some bull story about his friends dog being hit by a car a few weeks ago and he wanted to bring him somewhere to be put down. Worst cover story ever! He could have just told me he wanted a pet, or they were going on holidays and needed somewhere to put their animals. That was the last time I ever set foot in the place.

A friend of mine got a takeaway very recently and something got stuck in her tooth. She ended up having to go to the dentist and he said it was a piece of a microchip - as in, the ones they put into dogs...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

One really disgusting thing happened to me in a rather posh restaurant in Helsinki back in the 1980s. I am tall and had been sitting with one of my knees pressing against the underside of the table. Just as the bill arrived and I was about to pay and leave, I noticed that my knee had been pressing into a lump of chewing gum that had been stuck to the underside of the table. With the heat of my body, it had sort of melted into the cloth and I knew that nothing would ever get it out.:eek:

I called the headwaitress and complained about it. She offered to give me the meal free, but I told her it was not enough and, in an increasingly loud voice, made some points about hygienic standards in her supposedly up-market restaurant, complaints to the licensing authority, health board, yadda, yadda, yadda. I demonstratively lifted up the tablecloth and asked her if she realised how many bacteria were there and if they ever cleaned the undersides of the tables ---

As more and more heads turned towards us, she finally gave me a card with her boss's phone number and asked me to call them the following day about getting the price of a new suit. I did, and of course the free meal.:):)

But, paragon of honesty that I am, I have always resisted the temptation to put a lump of chewing gum under a table in another restaurant and make a claim.;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

Spent 17 years repping for a food supplier, had to visit a dozen or so kitchens every day and seen some unbelievable stuff.
    seen something recently while playing golf which was a real beaut.... the guy that makes the sausage/bacon sambos at the halfway coffee shop coming out of the jacks pulling up his zip-still wearing his blue rubber gloves and straight in behind the counter. not eating there anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Was at a Christmas lunch a few years back, had a salad with salmon for main. As i was tucking into the salad something didn't feel right in my mouth. Took it out and it was tissue paper. Convinced it was someones rag from up their sleeve I didn't touch the rest of my meal.. Follow big hulabaloo from the manager making a huge deal out of it trying to explain that tissue was put between the layers of lettuce to absorb the water etc. Didn't believe a word of it. Will never eat there again. Salad spinner anyone???

Another salad eating moment, you know that purple lala rossa lettuce? well munching away and crunch.. felt like sand in my mouth, it was actually earth. Someone hadn't bothered to wash the lettuce.

Me and lettuce are well and truly OVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

An old man died beside me once in a little café.
    That was pretty disgusting :L

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

An old man died beside me once in a little café.
    That was pretty disgusting :L

Did he choke or something or just pass away from natural causes?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Joe Duffy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

I was on the iPhone last night

There's a special place in hell for people like you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

jessiejam wrote: »
    Did he choke or something or just pass away from natural causes?

Didn't stick around to find out. It frightened the life out of me so I left. He just arched his back violently and fell off the chair and he was dead :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

CorkBabe33 wrote: »
    A friend of mine got a takeaway very recently and something got stuck in her tooth. She ended up having to go to the dentist and he said it was a piece of a microchip - as in, the ones they put into dogs...

There's no way thats true :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Never having chinese again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I'd say thats done all the time. If I was a manager and saw a staff member doing that, P60 on the spot.

I think you mean p45 :D, p60 is the statement you get at the end of a tax year with details of your pay, tax, USC and PRSI deducted by your employer during the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

I'd say thats done all the time. If I was a manager and saw a staff member doing that, P60 on the spot.

You b**tard. At least wait near the end of the year before presenting him with his annual tax statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

jessiejam wrote: »
    Was at a Christmas lunch a few years back, had a salad with salmon for main. As i was tucking into the salad something didn't feel right in my mouth. Took it out and it was tissue paper. Convinced it was someones rag from up their sleeve I didn't touch the rest of my meal.. Follow big hulabaloo from the manager making a huge deal out of it trying to explain that tissue was put between the layers of lettuce to absorb the water etc. Didn't believe a word of it. Will never eat there again. Salad spinner anyone???

Another salad eating moment, you know that purple lala rossa lettuce? well munching away and crunch.. felt like sand in my mouth, it was actually earth. Someone hadn't bothered to wash the lettuce.

Me and lettuce are well and truly OVER!

Its quite common to layer salad with damp CLEAN paper tissue to keep it crisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I was in a chinese Restaurant in Soho in London & just as we finished our meals the family that ran the restaurant decided to change their baby's nappy on the table beside us.. Ugh I feel sick even thinking about it again :(..

A place serving food would be visited by the HSO twice per year at least and it is very random and they have very high standards, you have too keep records of food bought with dates etc and they have to match your invoices.

Most kitchens in Ireland would be to a very good standard hygiene wise and great strides have been made.

Most food poisoning arises from two things.

Scummy staff not washing their hands after visiting toilets.

Poisoning arising from toxins in fish and shell fish.

Accidents happen regarding hair in food and even it could be a hair from the customers head yet they just blame the restaurant or from the waiter or indeed from the chef, its a hair not nice but hardly that grotesque!!!

The amount of urban myths in this thread that are now fact by friend is laughable, do you know how many times i have heard that micro chip story in the last few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

billybudd wrote: »
    A place serving food would be visited by the HSO twice per year at least and it is very random and they have very high standards, you have too keep records of food bought with dates etc and they have to match your invoices.

Most kitchens in Ireland would be to a very good standard hygiene wise and great strides have been made.

Most food poisoning arises from two things.

Scummy staff not washing their hands after visiting toilets.

Poisoning arising from toxins in fish and shell fish.

Accidents happen regarding hair in food and even it could be a hair from the customers head yet they just blame the restaurant or from the waiter or indeed from the chef, its a hair not nice but hardly that grotesque!!!

The amount of urban myths in this thread that are now fact by friend is laughable, do you know how many times i have heard that micro chip story in the last few years?

dunno.....3?

[/B]
    dunno.....3?

or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I hadn't heard of that one

But I have heard the reason you don't see the council worker out checking for dog licenses anymore is because he lost his job.

Chinese takeaways dealt with the stray dogs :P
    until last year or the year before at the most,an uncle of mine worked for dublin council and was one of those who went out checking dog licences until he had to retire through his health,he woud do all sorts of tasks as part of the job like rounding up loose horses,cutting the grass etc,theyre definitely still doing it in that council anyway.

had never heard of seagull being used either despite the fact its full of them over here,
    the main one people go on about chinese chippies/restaurants using is cats or dogs.
    theres to many health and safety rules here for them to get away with doing that plus the fact itd realy tear at the morals of people as cats and dogs are the most popular pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Eeeew, SICK!!!! What town is this place in?

I'll not give out the area, as even though I believe that particular butcher has since closed, I wouldn't want to taint the reputation of whoever has taken over.

In fact, now I think of it there were at the time (around 18 years ago) some unbelievably poor practices in the meat trade that weren't just confined to suburban back street butchers shops. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Customer's treatment of staff. Especially in fast food places.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

Where are all these places selling dog ?

I'd love abit of dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Steodonn wrote: »
    Where are all these places selling dog ?

I'd love abit of dog

Preferably not the dogs bo***cks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Its usually the manager who tells the staff to cut corners. And would'nt a P45 be more appropriate than a P60?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Preferably not the dogs bo***cks though.

Why not? I hear it's the dogs bollocks.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Why not? I hear it's the dogs bollocks.

It's like faeces. You can eat it, but it tastes like sh**.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

juan.kerr wrote: »
    It's like faeces. You can eat it, but it tastes like sh**.

I know a restaurant where the Chef swears by picking his bum and wiping little bits of poo into the food, he swears by it! , It's meant to taste nice.

• Advertisement

I know a restaurant where the Chef swears by picking his bum and wiping little bits of poo into the food, he swears by it! , It's meant to taste nice.

I'm intrigued.

Advertisement