Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgusting things in restaurants

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've heard awful things about the kitchen in a certain pizza restaurant in South Dublin. Oven not cleaned in years. Soap dispensers covered in grease, tomato sauce, general dirt. Glass panels on fridge doors covered in a film of dirt so thick you can't see the inside.

Haven't eaten there myself, but I'm very familiar with another restaurant in the same franchise so I'd trust the source of the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I've heard awful things about the kitchen in a certain pizza restaurant in South Dublin. Oven not cleaned in years. Soap dispensers covered in grease, tomato sauce, general dirt. Glass panels on fridge doors covered in a film of dirt so thick you can't see the inside.

De HORROR !!!!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I once saw a massive rat running on the floor behind the counter in McDonalds on Dam Straat in Amsterdam when I was waiting for a burger.

I thought I'd smoked too much, until I saw another one saunter behind the chip pans.

No idea how the staff worked there - the place was infected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

TheUsual wrote: »
    De HORROR !!!!!! :eek:

could have been a pizza place in dolphins barn or tallaght, both of which are in south Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Off Topic, But why striped socks? And horizontal or vertical stripes?

:)
    The evening I registered I was lying on the couch desperately trying to think of a username. I was hoping to pick something really cool but realistically I knew I couldn't pull it off, even as an anonymous poster on an Internet forum.
    When I think about things I tend to rub my feet together, similar to a fly that rubs his front legs together almost as if he's scheming to take over the world a la pinky & the brain.
    Anyway as I was having a little foot on foot rub I noticed I was wearing striped socks. At that very same time the boy in the striped pyjamas was on.
    It really was a lightbulb moment. Granted I'm not a boy & I wasn't wearing pyjamas so I adjusted it accordingly & girl in the striped socks was born.
    The rest, as they say, is history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

Vaguely related, but I once had to collect some equipment from a butcher's shop in west Dublin.

The public part of the shop was like any normal butchers, with counters of meat all nicely displayed etc. The rear of the shop, and enclosed back yard were like something from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre :eek:

The floor was covered with meat in various states of decay. One of the things I was to collect was a machine that sliced up the joints of meat into rashers. It was still being used when I arrived, and was literally covered in maggots. There were rats in the back yard and I don't think I've ever seen so many flies!

The shop was in a small parade of four or five others, how they didn't complain about the stench and flies etc I'll never know.

The locals must have become immune to the bacteria, as the place had a queue out the door the hour or so I spent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

TheUsual wrote: »
    The waiters balls or the chefs ?

The chefs balls, his own ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Went to the local chinese for myself and my twin sisters birthday (not through choice but tis either that or supermacs in my town).
    The kitchens are right beside the toilets and when I went to the ladies room the kitchen door was wide open.
    There was one lad stir-frying with a fag in his mouth and another lad clearing the mucus from his nose and throat in the loudest most disgusting manner.
    Once I heard the spit I ran to the toilets and called for huey on the big white telephone.
    Never again, never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

to many to mention in my 15 years in the industry

snap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I threw a fork at someone if that counts.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I know someone who worked in a restaurant and they were running low on supplies so they reused some of the stuff off other peoples plates. If people had soup they reused the brown bread if person didn't use it. Scraped leftover spuds and vegetables off peoples plates. Added leftover spagethi bolognase back to the pot, reused sandwiches etc. It happened on numerous occasions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You go to a foreign pizzeria where they knead the dough and have all the ingredients at the counter so you can see most stuff going on.

Then you come back here and you realise you have no idea what's going on.

cue "sneezeburger"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Deskjockey wrote: »
    How did the estate get "begone" of him. Must be hard to stop someone driving in with an ice cream van into an estate?

Our guy comes in at 8:30 when kids are gone to bed and puts the music on- very annoying indeed!!
    just tell the kids that he only plays the music to let people know he's run out of ice cream :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

areyawell wrote: »
    I know someone who worked in a restaurant and they were running low on supplies so they reused some of the stuff off other peoples plates. If people had soup they reused the brown bread if person didn't use it. Scraped leftover spuds and vegetables off peoples plates. Added leftover spagethi bolognase back to the pot, reused sandwiches etc. It happened on numerous occasions.

I honestly question if the full house don't do this (its all you can eat)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I remember reading stories about Chinese food practices. The story that stuck out was some crowd skimming oil off the contents of a sewer (it floats on top) and using it for cooking.

Just looked it up

More Chinese food scandals

I know it's a bit off topic, but I wonder how much of it gets over here. I'm also sure there are plenty of dodgy practices here that we know nothing about.

Food counterfeiting, things like painting bad meat, was a huge problem before refrigeration. At least we have safety inspections and a system now, even if it's not perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I think it is really out of order when people on open forums go over the top when giving out about a particular restaurant. Wouldn't it be a bit more proactive to go straight to the propertior and give them your feedback rather than hiding behind a keyboard and launching an open attack at them from there and potentially ruining their business, without them having a chance to rectify what your grievances are.

The urban myth too of the Chinese restaurant selling the sea gull instead of the chicken is still unbelively doing the rounds too. How much, how long would it take, and how the fu*k in the first place could you round up all those sea gulls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

People's expectations are way too high, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Not in Ireland, but over in a restaurant in America, where one of my mates was working, he was told that one of the waiters walked into the kitchen one of the days to the chef rubbing his balls over some nicely cooked burgers...

Why would anyone want to cover their ball in hot fat,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No service charge normally

But for parties of 6 and upward they charge a service charge

Robbin cnuts

You give a restaurant a lot of business and custom and instead of getting a discount instead they charge you more

Makes no sense, it's like they don't want large groups at all :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Anyone remember the restaurant scene in Trainspotting, the book?

I was on the iPhone last night, so I didn't fancy typing out the full story. Suffice to say that it involves a pi$$ed off waitress - Kelly was the character's name - who got increasingly pi$$ed off with a group of mouthy, pushy male customers, so she polluted their drinks, their tomato soup and their chocolate mousse. I'll leave it to your imagination to work out the details.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

areyawell wrote: »

I'd say thats done all the time. If I was a manager and saw a staff member doing that, P60 on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

A friend who was a waitress in a 'classy' cafe/delicatessen/emporium told me "never eat garnish - it's always recycled from plate to plate".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I don't see the problem with seagull curry. Have seen a fair few disgusting customers in restaurants though. Usually the moutheir ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Riamfada wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with seagull curry. Have seen a fair few disgusting customers in restaurants though. Usually the moutheir ones.

<p>
    Riamfada wrote: »
    </p>
    <p> </p>

The problem is if you pay for CHICKEN curry, then you expect to get chicken in it. If you want to eat seagulls, catch a few and go ahead. Its not right to pay for one thing, and then get seagull / pigeon / rat / squirrell / cat / dog instead.

Then you have other issues. eg. hygene, safety, the morality of killing other peoples pets. Cattle and chickens are killed in state-of-the-art processing plants, where independant inspections take place daily. Wild fowl and vermin carry all sorts of diseases. And dogs and cats are peoples pets who will be missed. Not cool.

I once frequented a restuarant ran by an Asain family. Because of where I was working at the time, I became a regular there. Once, when the family got friendly enough, the son asked me where the local dog pound was!!!!!:eek::eek::eek: I told him, and asked him why he wanted to know. He came up with some bull story about his friends dog being hit by a car a few weeks ago and he wanted to bring him somewhere to be put down. Worst cover story ever! He could have just told me he wanted a pet, or they were going on holidays and needed somewhere to put their animals. That was the last time I ever set foot in the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Chinasea wrote: »

The urban myth too of the Chinese restaurant selling the sea gull instead of the chicken is still unbelively doing the rounds too. How much, how long would it take, and how the fu*k in the first place could you round up all those sea gulls.

I hadn't heard of that one

But I have heard the reason you don't see the council worker out checking for dog licenses anymore is because he lost his job.

Chinese takeaways dealt with the stray dogs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Cargin

Just to toss out an example from the other side of the counter (yep, I work in fast food), once had a woman threaten to empty her colostomy onto the floor if she wasn't served immediately. Could have been quite the sticky situation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I was in McDonalds in Swords Village once a few years before it got a much needed overhaul and I saw a cook drop a box of beef patties all over an obviously unswept floor. Instead of throwing away the dropped patties he simply scooped them up, popped them back in the box and placed the box back in the fridge and no-one batted an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

I know of a restaurant where the owner takes the leftover meats from peoples plates and minces it all to make burgers for the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

The cafes that leave milk in small jugs on the table for hours, just topping them up rather than cleaning the jugs and refilling them. I don't take milk in my coffee unless I'm getting a latte, but I wouldn't touch milk in those places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

newmug wrote: »
    <p></p>
    <p> </p>

I once frequented a restuarant ran by an Asain family. Because of where I was working at the time, I became a regular there. Once, when the family got friendly enough, the son asked me where the local dog pound was!!!!!:eek::eek::eek: I told him, and asked him why he wanted to know. He came up with some bull story about his friends dog being hit by a car a few weeks ago and he wanted to bring him somewhere to be put down. Worst cover story ever! He could have just told me he wanted a pet, or they were going on holidays and needed somewhere to put their animals. That was the last time I ever set foot in the place.

Ah now, de you even believe this yourself.

Advertisement