Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

summerskin wrote: »
    Yes, with my Irish mother, Irish grandparents, Irish wife, Irish children and living and working in Ireland I clearly hate the place...

I love Ireland and most of the people. I just have no time for the mouthbreathing "800 years" brigade who hate everything British, while watching English soccer, watching English tv and shopping in NI so than can save a few euro.

You should check out the film, the believer.

I would argue a very high percentage of people like England, Scotland & wales and the people who live there, sometimes the road to real peace is in the arguments that lead to understanding.

I would also say there has not been any real nastiness in this thread towards people from different backgrounds and the argument of the poppy stems from what went on after WW2 as opposed to during it and before it.

Regarding 800 years, it wasnt that long ago so you can't expect people to 100% forget about and for some people still alive its still a very painful subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yes, with my Irish mother, Irish grandparents, Irish wife, Irish children and living and working in Ireland I clearly hate the place...

I love Ireland and most of the people. I just have no time for the mouthbreathing "800 years" brigade who hate everything British, while watching English soccer, watching English tv and shopping in NI so than can save a few euro.

Who hates everything British? I certainly do not. While you live here, have an understanding of our history and the modern tentative peace in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This thread is a very good example as to why the white poppy should be more available

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_poppy_(symbol)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

LordSutch wrote: »
    I think Jon Snow has refered to it as Poppy Fascism, and I agree with him 100%, as the enforced wearing devalues the true meaning.
    Youve exactly gottten to the core of the thread.
    The widespread wearing of it in the media in the UK makes celebrating the war dead might raise the question on some (and maybe the OPs) mind as to why in Ireland we dont do the same or similar?

Fact is that in Ireland, unlike the UK, conventional war or the military has not touched many families in any way no matter how many generations back you go.
    In the UK tens of millions of people have close relatives who have died in the world wars and that memory is pricked by the body bags coming back from the middle east.
    And they have 1000s on the ground still in Afgahanistan this very moment.

They have a set of circumstances where remembering the dead and soldiers putting themselves in harms way is very relevant (and thus the new found prominence).

In Ireland though I'm probably quite representative in that I don't know anyone who fought in any war (well, not a conventional one - ahem) in my family no matter how extended and have no friends or family who have any military service.

This complete lack of relevance of all things military and war is why wearing the poppy is just an irrelevance to me and 99% of the irish population - and its nothing to do with being anti british

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

But the Mau Maus.....

Trying to make a point? Or just annoyed that I'm right? I'd guess the latter.

• Advertisement

Youve exactly gottten to the core of the thread.
    The widespread wearing of it in the media in the UK makes celebrating the war dead might raise the question on some (and maybe the OPs) mind as to why in Ireland we dont do the same or similar?

Fact is that in Ireland, unlike the UK, conventional war or the military has not touched many families in any way no matter how many generations back you go.
    In the UK tens of millions of people have close relatives who have died in the world wars and that memory is pricked by the body bags coming back from the middle east.
    And they have 1000s on the ground still in Afgahanistan this very moment.

They have a set of circumstances where remembering the dead and soldiers putting themselves in harms way is very relevant (and thus the new found prominence).

In Ireland though I'm probably quite representative in that I don't know anyone who fought in any war (well, not a conventional one - ahem) in my family no matter how extended and have no friends or family who have any military service.

This complete lack of relevance of all things military and war is why wearing the poppy is just an irrelevance to me and 99% of the irish population - and its nothing to do with being anti british

1000's of Irish people died on both www 1/2 wars so i would say it effects quite alot of Irish families and friends rather than the 1% you say.

1000's of irish died as a result on Irish/British conflict pre www 2 that have effected the way some people see the British political elite and their motives.

Alot of British people love nothing better than to slag off the Germans and think nothing wrong of it yet if Irish people do the same thing well its anti British and hateful.

Our partial independence is less than a 100 years old and greate strides have been made but you cant expect it to completely be forgotten and ditto for the British and Germans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

billybudd wrote: »
    1000's of Irish people died on both www 1/2 wars so i would say it effects quite alot of Irish families and friends rather than the 1% you say.

They did. Unfortunately their memory seems to be controversial, in Britain it is not. We also had conscription in Britain so it was more than just volunteers that died, it was normal Joe Soaps who had no choice. I think that is something people forget. Yes, WWI was the result of imperialist sabre ratling, but the cause/objectives of the war are irrelevant, it is those that died that are remembered.

WWI is still fairly hot in people's minds. My Grandparents were all in teh services. My Dad remembers their anderson shelter. One of his clearest memories of childhood is when they finally stopped sweet rationing..
    1000's of irish died as a result on Irish/British conflict pre www 2 that have effected the way some people see the British political elite and their motives.

was it 1000s? I believe the conflict totalled around 2000 dead in total, the majority British.
    Alot of British people love nothing better than to slag off the Germans and think nothing wrong of it yet if Irish people do the same thing well its anti British and hateful.

Slagging is one thing and is great fun. getting a dig in at every available opportunity about something people had no control over is something else. My frequent use of Harry Enfiled's "Jurgen the German" is to show how this comes across. It appears that some people just want the Brits to constantly apologise for the actions of their forefathers.
    Our partial independence is less than a 100 years old and greate strides have been made but you cant expect it to completely be forgotten and ditto for the British and Germans.

The British and Germans buried the hatchet years ago. The British and French on the other hand.......;)

They did. Unfortunately their memory seems to be controversial, in Britain it is not. We also had conscription in Britain so it was more than just volunteers that died, it was normal Joe Soaps who had no choice. I think that is something people forget. Yes, WWI was the result of imperialist sabre ratling, but the cause/objectives of the war are irrelevant, it is those that died that are remembered.

WWI is still fairly hot in people's minds. My Grandparents were all in teh services. My Dad remembers their anderson shelter. One of his clearest memories of childhood is when they finally stopped sweet rationing..

was it 1000s? I believe the conflict totalled around 2000 dead in total, the majority British.

The Irish civil war? or total deaths pre.1924?

Slagging is one thing and is great fun. getting a dig in at every available opportunity about something people had no control over is something else. My frequent use of Harry Enfiled's "Jurgen the German" is to show how this comes across. It appears that some people just want the Brits to constantly apologise for the actions of their forefathers.

Alot of people have the same mentality just maybe British people not getting Irish humour? Alot of people dont give a ****e and say things in jest.

Germany apologised, the head of the Monarch state has not and will not.

The British and Germans buried the hatchet years ago. The British and French on the other hand.......;)

Oh come on alot of sly digs by even the British media when England come up against past enemies.

From living in England my conclusion is that alot of English people have no awareness of what happended in Ireland and still view it as not that big of deal which can be quite infuriating if some of your family suffered because of it, be like an Irish person making light of a few generations being wiped out in www1/2 and saying ''ahh sure that was too long ago, who cares?''

Also in England if i celebrated Irish independence i was viewed as a RA head and you know the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Au contraire, we love the French here in Scotland - we still have that 'auld aliance' don't you know;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,010 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Nodin wrote: »
    You seem to think the kenyan issue is a deflection. The fact is that British troops were responsible for torturing and killing thousands in Kenya alone. The poppy funds go towards ex-service personell. Therefore raising their deeds is perfectly legitimate.

Have you managed to find any live ones in Ireland yet?

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »

So what your saying is we should just mind our own business and not worry about what goes on in the world? If only the BA & the US army amongst some would do that and let impartial peace keeping and human rights organisations deal with human issues then the world would be a better place.

So what your saying is we should just mind our own business and not worry about what goes on in the world? If only the BA & the US army amongst some would do that and let impartial peace keeping and human rights organisations deal with human issues then the world would be a better place.

What I'm saying is what I said, and not what you think I said. How on earth you can draw your conclusion from what I posted is a mystery to me.:P

I use kenya as an example. Given the date its infinetly more likely that veterans of colonial conflicts like it are alive rather than WWII veterans.

What I'm saying is what I said, and not what you think I said. How on earth you can draw your conclusion from what I posted is a mystery to me.:P

It was a question as that is what ? means.

So what did you mean?

I use kenya as an example. Given the date its infinetly more likely that veterans of colonial conflicts like it are alive rather than WWII veterans.

60 odd years ago? That's a bit of a stretch. Perhaps the British Legion is paying for the upkeep of some Cryogenics facility in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You mean organisations like the UN? I agree with you and I fully support anyone engaged on one of their peace keeping missions.

Which is one of the reasons why I have bought a poppy.

60 odd years ago? That's a bit of a stretch. Perhaps the British Legion is paying for the upkeep of some Cryogenics facility in Dublin.

Malaya to Kenya to Suez to Aden to Iraq II. Thats 1948 to 2003.

Why is it you don't make your remarks re cryogenic facilities when we get the usual justifications that refer to WW1 and WWII?

Malaya to Kenya to Suez to Aden to Iraq II. Thats 1948 to 2003.

Why is it you don't make your remarks re cryogenic facilities when we get the usual justifications that refer to WW1 and WWII?

They were probably experimenting with cryogenics in the 60s, but WW1 and WW2 would have been a definite no no on that score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

can we have a little sympathy for the british indians killed in the mau mau wars......a lot of them in a horrific manner..

they were doing no worse than making a home in foreign lands....the same as the irish did in the usa, canada, australia, etc.....

or is it only irish that are innocent.......

can we have a little sympathy for the british indians killed in the mau mau wars......a lot of them in a horrific manner..

they were doing no worse than making a home in foreign lands....the same as the irish did in the usa, canada, australia, etc.....

or is it only irish that are innocent.......

What are you on about now?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

wearing one is very much a personal choice, and i would in no way think any less of someone who choose to wear it.

that said i wouldn't as i do not feel inclined to commemorate soldiers who slaughtered my fellow irish-men, women and children

exactly the same reason i choose not to wear an Easter lily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    The blood of one side only. Hardly a gesture symbolising the futility of war.
    The question was regarding Irish people wearing the poppy. Like it or not at the time we were part of the British Isles & over 30,000 Irish men died during the war while serving the British army.
    The poppy doesn't represent the futility of war & I never said it did.
    So did a lot of Germans, are their lives not worth honouring too? Nope only Irish and by extension the side they were fighting on matter.
    Actually since ´45 it is not en-voque in Germany to celebrate the deeds and remembrance of german soldiers (at least without beeing labeled "nazi" and "revisionist". The only flower used in the German military tradition is the Leontopodium alpinum, as a symbol for the alpine rangers "Gebirgsjäger" & I didn't say they didn't matter. The question at hand is regarding Irish people wearing a Poppy.
    The red poppy may have symbolised one thing but it raises money for another.
    There is no "may" about it, the poppy symbolises the blood of the dead.
    If it's just the money you have the issue with, light a candle for them all.

Like it or not at the time we were part of the British Isles

We still are part of the British Isles as that is a geogrphical name. You mean we were part of the United Kingdom of Britain and Ireland.

There is no "may" about it, the poppy symbolises the blood of the dead.

The dead of one side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

We still are part of the British Isles as that is a geogrphical name. You mean we were part of the United Kingdom of Britain and Ireland.

The dead of one side

Yep. The side where you are currently living. Don't forget that.

Yep. The side where you are currently living. Don't forget that.

I prefer to actually remember all who died, primarily the millions of civilians in wars. The red poppy certainly does not do that. Don't forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Thankfully there are only a few of them left. All bile and dogma, long inaccurate and fogged up memories. Sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Listened to a Intersting interview of Cruel Britannia Author Ian Cobain by pat kenny during the week about GB's use of torture.
    The british army are world leaders in torture. They perfected it from the boer war to after WWII. They used these skills to try to hold onto their crumpling empire indiscremently, they even tortured Barack Obama's grandfather in kenya.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/nov/04/cruel-britannia-ian-cobain-review

Maybe before you wear a symbol you shold make sure you know what it represents. The british army have created, through their own behaviour over the years here and internationaly, a well of hatred that run very deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Listened to a Intersting interview of Cruel Britannia Author Ian Cobain by pat kenny during the week about GB's use of torture.
    The british army are world leaders in torture. They perfected it from the boer war to after WWII. They used these skills to try to hold onto their crumpling empire indiscremently, they even tortured Barack Obama's grandfather in kenya.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/nov/04/cruel-britannia-ian-cobain-review

Maybe before you wear a symbol you shold make sure you know what it represents. The british army have created, through their own behaviour over the years here and internationaly, a well of hatred that run very deep.

Comparing different situations in the same era with different eras, kind of a fail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Comparing different situations in the same era with different eras, kind of a fail.

Different eras all right but the brutality and oppresion remains the same.

Advertisement