Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 ordering process

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

I'm in Spain at the moment and the google play store has it for pre order for €349 for 16gb and delivery to an address in Spain. Releasing next Tuesday. What bugs me is the play store will auto locate you and I can't vpn from here to UK but home Tuesday and will be VPN'ing then. Once I order mine from the UK I'll let people know of a service that will deliver to the republic very cheaply. Getting mine first though !! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

pmsurveys wrote: »
    I'm in Spain at the moment and the google play store has it for pre order for €349 for 16gb and delivery to an address in Spain. Releasing next Tuesday. What bugs me is the play store will auto locate you and I can't vpn from here to UK but home Tuesday and will be VPN'ing then. Once I order mine from the UK I'll let people know of a service that will deliver to the republic very cheaply. Getting mine first though !! ;)

You mean Parcel Motel? If it isn't then I doubt it would be much cheaper than the €3.50 they charge.

I assume you're already sorted on this front, but the big problem isn't a parcel forwarding service, nor is it a UK VPN it's a credit/dedit card with a UK address.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭positron

Nolimits wrote: »
    I assume you're already sorted on this front, but the big problem isn't a parcel forwarding service, nor is it a UK VPN it's a credit/dedit card with a UK address.

Exactly this. However, would it be too hard to set up a prepaid virtual card like entropay or 3V Visa card etc online, with the Parcel Motel address, and would Play store allow these kind of cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I have a feeling at least one of the online retailers like Clove will sell at the same price as the play store and save us all a lot of hassle!

positron wrote: »
    Exactly this. However, would it be too hard to set up a prepaid virtual card like entropay or 3V Visa card etc online, with the Parcel Motel address, and would Play store allow these kind of cards?

The problem with using either of those is you really need €350 spare, if it doesn't work you won't be gettin your money back and you'll need to find something else to spend it on.

I know I've mentioned it on this thread before, but I think your best bet would be to call your credit card company and ask them if you can have a change of address on your card, use a random address generator if you don't know anyone who'll let you use their address and make sure you have your account set to receive no mail from them.
    I have a feeling at least one of the online retailers like Clove will sell at the same price as the play store and save us all a lot of hassle!

They might not have a choice, if it's got a RRP of about £500 they might not be getting them cheap enough to match Googles price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Anyone know if Expansys.ie will be stocking this when it comes out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Any guesses as to how soon the US play store will sell out? The girlfriend is coming over from the states at Christmas, thinking this could be a nice present to myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well I've had my Samsung GSII since release day and for €300 I can't say no to a Nexus 4. Love Android, love my Nexus 7, and giving my SII to the misses will make her love me more.

Seems to be some messing in relation to who is stocking it, surely an irish retailer will have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Unless im totally wrong and I dont think I am shops in Ireland will charge the public "full whack" when it comes to buying this phone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭positron

I've asked in Currys & PC World section if they would stock it, will update if/when they know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Guys over on XDA offering to buy a Nexus 4 and ship it over for $25 delivery and hassle fee. Pretty good. Just got to figure out can you trust these people!

Guys over on XDA offering to buy a Nexus 4 and ship it over for $25 delivery and hassle fee. Pretty good. Just got to figure out can you trust these people!
    Unless he's someone with thousands of posts I really wouldn't, for one thing you might end up in a big waiting list, I'd say these are gonna fly out.

positron wrote: »
    I've asked in Currys & PC World section if they would stock it, will update if/when they know.
    Really don't see why they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭emo72

i take it its not going on sale in the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

emo72 wrote: »
    i take it its not going on sale in the uk?

What gives you that idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭emo72

thomasj wrote: »
    What gives you that idea?

okay since i posted that, I've read the entire thread. 279 sterling?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Can't wait to get one of these.

For some reason i've a feeling Argos may stock them, they have a few sim free phones for sale at the moment e.g. Samsung Galaxy S3, Htc Desire C.

If no retailer here or the uk phone sites don't have them at the google play store price then I hope theres some way of getting them through parcel motel using a uk ip address to access the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

So in the US is the only way to get it through the play store?

A few of the lads from work are over there until end of nov and I'm over in Jan but I don't think we can use an Irish CC on the US play store??

If some bricks & mortar were selling it there I'd get one.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

lafors wrote: »
    So in the US is the only way to get it through the play store?

A few of the lads from work are over there until end of nov and I'm over in Jan but I don't think we can use an Irish CC on the US play store??

If some bricks & mortar were selling it there I'd get one.

Might be worth checking if bestbuy will be selling them over there perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

manu2009 wrote: »
    Can't wait to get one of these.

For some reason i've a feeling Argos may stock them, they have a few sim free phones for sale at the moment e.g. Samsung Galaxy S3, Htc Desire C.

If no retailer here or the uk phone sites don't have them at the google play store price then I hope theres some way of getting them through parcel motel using a uk ip address to access the site.

As has been stated on the thread already, it's needing a credit/debit card wit ha UK address that is the problem when ordering off the UK Play store. Not sure if it would work, but you could possibly use a prepay debit card and put a UK address in

bennyx_o wrote: »

As has been stated on the thread already, it's needing a credit/debit card wit ha UK address that is the problem when ordering off the UK Play store. Not sure if it would work, but you could possibly use a prepay debit card and put a UK address in
    I'd been thinking about that, might spend a tenner on a card today and try to use it to buy a book or something and report back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

I'm correct in assuming Nexus 4 is micro sim? If so do 3 use them as I plan to switch to their €20 a month pay as you go.

Contacted my cousin in Vegas and she said she would buy it for me and ship it over :cool:

I'm correct in assuming Nexus 4 is micro sim? If so do 3 use them as I plan to switch to their €20 a month pay as you go.

Yes and yes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

O2, Meteor and The Carphone Warehouse in Carlow have no idea what the story is with the 4, it'll be after Christmas before they get it in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Regarding the LTE, it's surely far too expensive at the moment to be a must have? I have little interest in signing up for a data plan like that until costs dramatically fall.

It would be nice to have a future proof phone but it ain't a must have imo.
    Yeah LTE hasn't been rolled out in Ireland yet and is a year or two away, I think.

Not sure where or how, but a friend has managed to email Google and ask them about availability here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

O2, Meteor and The Carphone Warehouse in Carlow have no idea what the story is with the 4, it'll be after Christmas before they get it in anyway.

was in carphone warehouse today too:

Nexus 4?
    Who?
    Nokia lumia 920?
    Is that a phone?
    HTC X8?
    Do you kiss your mum with that mouth?!
    So you have no idea about those?
    Nope. though we have iphone 5 and samsung S3!!!
    okay... ( dies little bit inside )

Nexus 4?
    Who?
    Nokia lumia 920?
    Is that a phone?
    HTC X8?

Yep and when you go back in 6 months they'll be saying "Look at this brand new Nokia phone!"

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

Nexus 4?
    Who?
    Nokia lumia 920?
    Is that a phone?
    HTC X8?

They are ginnets.

My friend went in to buy an iphone 5 the other day and they did everything to get him to just leave without one. It was like they were too lazy to do up the paperwork. He just wanted a good tariff and the phone. Money wasn't a problem. They arsed around so much he just walked out and had the phone got off vodafone 30 minutes later!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 3bs

Nolimits wrote: »
    I'd been thinking about that, might spend a tenner on a card today and try to use it to buy a book or something and report back.

Interested to see if this works. Please let us know.

What makes you say that? I might end up just getting it from handtec
    Not sure where or how, but a friend has managed to email Google and ask them about availability here in Ireland.

Can you please let us know what they reply back. Cheers

• Advertisement

3bs wrote: »
    What makes you say that? I might end up just getting it from handtec
    That's what they said. They told me they have the list of phones that they will be getting for the rest of the year.

3bs wrote: »
    Can you please let us know what they reply back. Cheers

Will do!

Advertisement