Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 ordering process

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

long_b wrote: »
    Google Music launching on November 13
    Oops - looking it up again they only said UK and some mainland countries for this

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Sure what else is new, there is no point even going into the shops because they'll have no idea there is a new phone. Your best bet is to try their twitter.

I like the phone but i won't be getting it as i dont see the point in upgrading from the Galaxy Nexus. Unless somebody knows something i dont.

heh, i dont even have a hope to find it in any shop lol. though where will i be able to get it online? google shop is not avelable here...

do UK get the to buy from google shop? i got good few friends in north, i could ask them to buy it for me and send it over.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

do UK get the to buy from google shop? i got good few friends in north, i could ask them to buy it for me and send it over.

Yep, that'll work once it's available in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

heh, i dont even have a hope to find it in any shop lol. though where will i be able to get it online? google shop is not avelable here...

Still 2 weeks to go so we won't know until closer the time but basically our best option will probably be one of these reliable retailers:

Amazon.co.uk (Maybe Amazon.de if it works out cheaper)
    Clove
    Handtec
    Expansys

Or there might the highly unlikely scenario that an Irish retailer is selling it shortly after release at the RRP!?

well, i asked my buddy to look in to it and they can use google shop... :rolleyes: same island, but hey, i guess were are not important enough.
    So its 279£, by just using google i got it 350eu, but i guess 3% for paypal transfer, plus i am pretty sure their euro to £££ will be as **** as possible. DHL delivery and it will end up around 400eu.

i guess ill just wait for one more week and see if we will get it offered from at least one retailer here.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

well, i asked my buddy to look in to it and they can use google shop... :rolleyes: same island, but hey, i guess were are not important enough.
    So its 279£, by just using google i got it 350eu, but i guess 3% for paypal transfer, plus i am pretty sure their euro to £££ will be as **** as possible. DHL delivery and it will end up around 400eu.

i guess ill just wait for one more week and see if we will get it offered from at least one retailer here.

1 more week? It won't be released anywhere until the 13th.

5starpool wrote: »
    1 more week? It won't be released anywhere until the 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

No we're a completely different nation with different laws on sales, copyright,tax :confused:

No we're a completely different nation with different laws on sales, copyright,tax :confused:

23099459.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

That looks like it would be cheaper to buy from one of the European outlets mentioned above like Amazon.de etc. Or else beg/threaten/kiss-ass someone who's travelling to the states. Or start the charm offensive at that distant-relative in the US that you haven't spoken to in a few years.. etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Will we get Google Now over here, and how many of the features will work?

Has anyone got a phone running jelly bean already and tried it out? Looks pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

EGriff wrote: »
    Will we get Google Now over here, and how many of the features will work?

Has anyone got a phone running jelly bean already and tried it out? Looks pretty cool.
    I have it running on my HTC Desire S, haven't used it much (I don't see where it will help me in anyway). Gives stuff like temperature in Fahrenheit unless you ask it to give you Celsius and I haven't found a setting to change it (not looked particularly hard).

Some features will not be the same or work here as the US as with so many other things like Google Music.

What about using voice for setting alarms, making calls, navigation and all that stuff?

I'm still on the fence between this and the HTC 8X, this has way more power and features but that Windows phone UI is so slick it's making it a tough choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

What about using voice for setting alarms, making calls, navigation and all that stuff?
    Alarm was set perfectly, call brought up the contact I asked for and I just had to hit the ring button, navigation doesn't seem to understand any location I ask it.

[Edit] Just got it to recognise a location and it works perfectly.

Thanks EGriff I think you just opened my eyes to the power of Google Now.

positron wrote: »
    That looks like it would be cheaper to buy from one of the European outlets mentioned above like Amazon.de etc. Or else beg/threaten/kiss-ass someone who's travelling to the states. Or start the charm offensive at that distant-relative in the US that you haven't spoken to in a few years.. etc etc.

unfortunately true. Though we do have to see the prices it will go for here first... 279£ might magicly not be 350eu when it comes as far as here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I have it running on my HTC Desire S, haven't used it much (I don't see where it will help me in anyway). Gives stuff like temperature in Fahrenheit unless you ask it to give you Celsius and I haven't found a setting to change it (not looked particularly hard).

Some features will not be the same or work here as the US as with so many other things like Google Music.

At the moment it doesn't do huge amount here in Ireland, although in the last few days a new item appeared comparing your walking or cycling distances. screen shot attached. Was quite strange to see to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

Uriel. wrote: »

At the moment it doesn't do huge amount here in Ireland, although in the last few days a new item appeared comparing your walking or cycling distances. screen shot attached. Was quite strange to see to be honest.

Hi Uriel.

How does it know if you walk cycle etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi Uriel.

How does it know if you walk cycle etc

Presumably it makes a judgment on your speed, but not sure really. It is fairly accurate though I would think, in my case anyway. I took two Dublin bike journeys which would have covered approximately a mile.

I have heard talk on other sites though that people who don't cycle at all are getting data for cycling so there does seem to be glitches (possibly driving very slowly might get read as cycling).

The whole thing is a bit of a mix of cool and scary at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It's not very accurate, it says I cycled over a mile when I haven't cycled in years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It's not very accurate, it says I cycled over a mile when I haven't cycled in years

Did you walk briskly through some red lights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Looks like clove will be selling it http://www.clove.co.uk/lg-nexus-4 as a UK company I doubt they'd bother selling it unless they match googles price, though if you're a new customer you have to jump through some hoops.

Handtec are selling it but the before tax price is the same as the after tax price of the Google Play store in the UK?? Might just be a coincidence though?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was gonna get the S2 for Christmas but definitely gonna get the Nexus 4 instead. Hopefully, it will be available in shops like Meteor, HMV, etc.

Handtec are selling it but the before tax price is the same as the after tax price of the Google Play store in the UK?? Might just be a coincidence though?

420eu.... cute

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Any one know if there is some sort of US or UK based, online Visa/Mastercard thingees that you can sign up to, load some money into, and use that to order one of these from US/UK Play store?

so what i am seeing so far: i am not an american and LET wont be here up untill 2058, so i think we are prety damn good without it. I am still getting only Edge at work and a glimpse of 3G at home.

the glass back was a stupid idea... i hate cases and i never used them, so if i am getting this phone, it means a case is a need...

some weird figures with performance too...

damn, why cant they do everything right for a change! :p

The verge make some really great videos, the engadget one looks pure amateur in comparison.

I am definitely getting this phone. Now to try and find a good 30 day rolling contract with plenty data.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I am definitely getting this phone. Now to try and find a good 30 day rolling contract with plenty data.

Three PAYG works nicely if youre in a good area for it. 20 a month for unlimited texts & data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

so what i am seeing so far: i am not an american and LET wont be here up untill 2058, so i think we are prety damn good without it. I am still getting only Edge at work and a glimpse of 3G at home.

I wouldn't be surprised if LTE starts rolling out here towards the end of next year.

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

Advertisement