Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally for The Quinn-were you there?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

As a Solicitor and member of the GAA i do not know how a judge can use "involvement with the GAA" as a mitigating factor in an action for contempt of court. Absolutely batsh1t crazy in my opinion and symptomatic of the need for the next generation in this country to cop on and stop the parochialism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

gurramok wrote: »
    Any reports of civil unrest as a reaction to the jailing as predicted by that Quinn supporter in the Indo yesterday? :)http://www.independent.ie/national-news/warning-of-civil-unrest-if-quinn-is-sent-to-prison-3279522.html

At lunchtime I saw a guy on Farnham street cross where there was no pedestrian crossing... total rebel :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Pity they abolished hanging.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

I love that he gets the option of starting the jailtime now, or postpone it until he decides whether he wants to appeal it or not. Somehow I doubt many others are afforded that luxury!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He might have to share a cell too according to a prison officer on Joe Duffy.

It's a pity it's not with Drumm, Seanie, the Regulator and a few Politicians so that we could all see proper justice being done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

thats the whole point quinns say they are working with the bank but all their actions point other wise. It we ( the people) were to drop court cases on cost then there would be no need for prisons (thats a place for people who have committed a crime )

I'm a little confused.
    U-turn as Sean Quinn Snr says he will now help Anglo over €500m ...
    You +1'd this publicly. Undo
    Irish Independent-19 Oct 2012

I wonder can someone that knows more about this whole debacle than me, explain to me why, if quinn, through a lawyer, offered to help anglo, in order to purge his contempt, was refused, as it was seemingly more important to put him in jail, which brings me to my next question, is the decision to jail him the judges decision or is it the decision of the lawyers representing anglo.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

THe judge probably wasn't convinced of his efforts over the last 2 weeks and that article outlines the lengths they went to breach the order. Really, he has been given so many chances at this stage, I don't understand how people would side with him.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    When the Quinns say they'll work with the courts or IRBC its worth about as much as Anglo stock these days. BBC Spotlight showed how much their word is worth.

I cant contradict ya on this, as I dont watch any BBC.

Sure he gave some jobs to people in Fermanagh and Cavan ya know :rolleyes:

Yeah, I suppose 8,000 jobs is some jobs.:rolleyes:

darkhorse wrote: »

Read the articles about the judgement then, the BBC just followed the trail to the Ukraine, a pretty long and convoluted trail that involved Central America.

Maybe its all a conspiracy, the Quinns would know one when they see it. Think of all the jobs, a big suspect in the whole child abuse scandal in England provided 100's of thouands of jobs, its a dumb point. Anglo provided 100's of thousands of jobs. It's a stupid appeal to emotion.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Read the articles about the judgement then, the BBC just followed the trail to the Ukraine, a pretty long and convoluted trail that involved Central America.

Maybe its all a conspiracy, the Quinns would know one when they see it. Think of all the jobs, a big suspect in the whole child abuse scandal in England provided 100's of thouands of jobs, its a dumb point. Anglo provided 100's of thousands of jobs. It's a stupid appeal to emotion.

If you limit your judgement to his actions before the attempted seizure of his money and business he fairs much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Quinns actions will affect every driver in this country for years to come as we all have had to bail out Quinn Insurance.

It's easy for people north of the border to harp on about how unfair the court was to him as it's not them footing the bill.

If you limit your judgement to his actions before the attempted seizure of his money and business he fairs much better.

Yeah, but he was the head of the biggest cement company in Ireland, his insurance company had a massive bias with huge investments in the Irish property sector.

A massive player in the property sector and he chose to invest in the biggest bank pumping up the Irish property market. I do think he wasn't on his own but the victim card doesn't wash on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Quinns actions will affect every driver in this country for years to come as we all have had to bail out Quinn Insurance.

It's easy for people north of the border to harp on about how unfair the court was to him as it's not them footing the bill.
    Not everyone north of the border shares that sentiment.:rolleyes: Self made man creates thousands of jobs, trusted a bank and got duped by them over how stable the bank was and goes to jail? yet nobody at AIB, or any crooked bankers or politicians who also helped throw the country into a recession gets the same ridicule/fate? whys that? Sean Quinn may deserve his jail sentence, but why is he punished when many walking free are just as guilty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Why ever not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Sean Quinn was Aesop's greedy lion that let his kill away to chase a bigger one and lost them both, his "loyal" (mon€y hungry) supporters the hyenas, jackals and vultures hanging around in the wings to pick up the crumbs and stuff their faces.

I think it's finally dawning on him that he was wrong. It's all very well parading around Cavan in his chariot with the fickle mob cheering him on, but it's a different story heading off to prison in a van ALONE while the rest of the vultures head off home to a nice warm bed at home in Cavan.

Certainly a sad story, a deluded elderly man heading off to prison. Why did he have to hide billions on us all?

All because of greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

guttenberg wrote: »
    Not everyone north of the border shares that sentiment.:rolleyes: Self made man creates thousands of jobs, trusted a bank and got duped by them over how stable the bank was and goes to jail? yet nobody at AIB, or any crooked bankers or politicians who also helped throw the country into a recession gets the same ridicule/fate? whys that? Sean Quinn may deserve his jail sentence, but why is he punished when many walking free are just as guilty?

I never said everyone, but listening to the people on BBC Newsline you would think the guy was a living saint, sure he created jobs but he wasn't a charity he made lots of money as well.

As for getting duped by the bank, he took a chance to make a Sh*tload of money and the gamble didn't pay off for him, noone put a gun to his head and forced him to sign the dotted line.

As for your last point I would like nothing better than to see Seany and Fingers locked up, I don't see anyone on here defending the banks, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Yeah, I suppose 8,000 jobs is some jobs.:rolleyes:
    its easy to create jobs in the insurance industry if you dont provide adequate cover agsinst losses and all your competitors do.

Not everyone north of the border shares that sentiment.:rolbleyes: Self made man creates thousands of jobs, trusted a bank and got duped by them over how stable the bank was and goes to jail? yet nobody at AIB, or any crooked bankers or politicians who also helped throw the country into a recession gets the same ridicule/fate? whys that? Sean Quinn may deserve his jail sentence, but why is he punished when many walking free are just as guilty?

its very common to hear this been said. he got jail but what about.... this guy and that guy look what they done as if this some how makes the punished less culpable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

He is guilty of contempt of court. He took a stupid risk,lost and then tried to hide his money from the Irish state when he had to repay. Thats why he is in jail. No one else has faced trial yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Yeah, but he was the head of the biggest cement company in Ireland, his insurance company had a massive bias with huge investments in the Irish property sector.

A massive player in the property sector and he chose to invest in the biggest bank pumping up the Irish property market. I do think he wasn't on his own but the victim card doesn't wash on me.

Do CEOs invest in their own company? They influence the company performance more than anyone else but are free to and usually do buy shares within some regulation.
    Sean Quinn invested heavily in a market of which he influenced the performance, the difference was lack of regulation.

9959 wrote: »
    Why ever not?

Do ya want to know why I cant contradict it, or why do I not watch BBC.

He is guilty of contempt of court. He took a stupid risk,lost and then tried to hide his money from the Irish state when he had to repay. Thats why he is in jail. No one else has faced trial yet.

I do understand all that, but would it not have been better for the taxpayers, if Quinn received a hefty fine instead. What does it really achieve putting him in prison, where its going to cost the taxpayer €13,000 for nine weeks, thats accordings to 2010 figures.

I do understand all that, but would it not have been better for the taxpayers, if Quinn received a hefty fine instead

He believed he was one of the untouchables. I don't think it would be a good idea to cement that idea by letting him pay his way out of gaol time with ill gotten gains.

It's a sad situation, on a human level you can't but feel sorry for him, but he is to blame, what he did was dreadfully wrong.

I think his supporters have to sit back and take a long look at the bigger picture. They are all heading home to warm beds after cheering on their rainmaker as he heads to cell. He's got to pay his bills, he's cost us enough at this stage.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    He believed he was one of the untouchables. I don't think it would be a good idea to cement that idea by letting him pay his way out of gaol time with ill gotten gains.

It's a sad situation, on a human level you can't but feel sorry for him, but he is to blame, what he did was dreadfully wrong.

I think his supporters have to sit back and take a long look at the bigger picture. They are all heading home to warm beds after cheering on their rainmaker as he heads to cell. He's got to pay his bills, he's cost us enough at this stage.

Thus me advocating a hefty fine. Who is gaining from having him in prison, certainly not taxpayers.

Do CEOs invest in their own company? They influence the company performance more than anyone else but are free to and usually do buy shares within some regulation.
    Sean Quinn invested heavily in a market of which he influenced the performance, the difference was lack of regulation.

That's true but Quinn didn't seem a big fan of regulation with Quinn insurance either so again it doesn't wash with me. However it happened, the man lost the biggest ever single amount in CFD's in world history, quite spectacular when you consider it was a jumped up Irish property bank.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Pity they abolished hanging.

Why?

Thus me advocating a hefty fine. Who is gaining from having him in prison, certainly not taxpayers.

No way.

Rich people pay their way out o gaol, poor people do time? That sort of happens already, we don't want to see it happening more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Rich people pay their way out o gaol, poor people do time? That sort of happens already, we don't want to see it happening more.

Or we could go back to the days where rich people could pay someone else to do their jail time for them. He'd be able to foot the bill for that out of his hidden, stolen money. :rolleyes: It would also serve to take some desperate creature off the live register. Double win.

• Advertisement

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/quinn-workers-block-factory-entrances-16234100.html

"We demand, however, a resolution that will save our jobs, our communities and our future livelihoods."

thats a great quote... good way to go about it stopping work... the customers will wait !!!

Advertisement