Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The little things that cost too much

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Lukebray wrote: »
    The bus! It's €2.65 to get into town from where I live. And the service is ****e as well, buses every half hour. They should be coming every 15 minutes at least and there should be a flat fare of €2

Try driving/taking a taxi/walking/cycling into town for that little and come back to us. I doubt you're going to find a cheaper route somehow. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Smokes!! 8.90 for my beloved superking blacks!
    It's made me start rolling my own although I'd say they'll hike up the price of rolling tobacco soon too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

It's made me start rolling my own although I'd say they'll hike up the price of rolling tobacco soon too :rolleyes:
    John Player does cigarettes you make yourself. Around €15.50 for 60 cigarettes in dosette form and the shells are around a euro for 100 of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

Fresh fruit and vegetables, I don't live near an aldi or lidl :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

totally agress with the Irish rail tickets......
    Shampoo/conditioner and other comestic products
    magazines are totally marked up here also
    mobile phone network charges
    fuel
    parking in some cities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

For a while now, I've taken pleasure in taking an item to a counter, asking the price, then saying 'nah, too expensive' and leaving it there.

it's the little things....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Newspapers.

Isn't it now €2.20 for the Irish Times? Buy that and, say, another paper or so at the weekend and it's pretty steep. You'd think the marketeers would try and curry favour with lapsed readers to lure them away from online reading.

In NI, the Irish Times actually works out cheaper at £1.20, although any sales there are regarded as a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Fresh fruit and vegetables, I don't live near an aldi or lidl :(

Cheaper veg in a fruit & veg shop or at your local market. Or better still if you can grow your own.
    Fruit & veg is cheaper in a fruit & veg shop than any of the supermarkets. And more chance of it coming from Ireland so you're supporting more irish jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

166man wrote: »
    Try driving/taking a taxi/walking/cycling into town for that little and come back to us. I doubt you're going to find a cheaper route somehow. :)

How exactly would walking or cycling be more expensive? :confused:

I agree that bus fares are too expensive. Taxis or driving costs are too expensive as well, so the bus costing less doesn't mean an awful lot really.

Yorkie chocolate bars. Or any chocolate bars.
    Was charged €1.15 for a yorkie a month ago in the applegreen in ashbourne.
    Robbing baxtards. The bar itself is also getting smaller

• Advertisement

KKkitty wrote: »
    John Player does cigarettes you make yourself. Around €15.50 for 60 cigarettes in dosette form and the shells are around a euro for 100 of them.

I get around 30 smokes from a 12.5g pack of amber leaf for €4.75. I dont like having to make my own anyway. Id rather just take one out if a packet :o

I get around 30 smokes from a 12.5g pack of amber leaf for €4.75. I dont like having to make my own anyway. Id rather just take one out if a packet :o
    I hate rolling my own but these cigarettes are easy to make up. My fella smokes them and they are strong enough.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    For a while now, I've taken pleasure in taking an item to a counter, asking the price, then saying 'nah, too expensive' and leaving it there.

Some poor minimum wage joe has to take that and put it back on the shelf.
    You're not making any statement there, as they person at the checkout in the vast majority of cases is not involved in setting the prices.

Why dont you ask to speak to the owner or email their customer service if you think something is too expensive?

leaveiton wrote: »
    How exactly would walking or cycling be more expensive? :confused:

I agree that bus fares are too expensive. Taxis or driving costs are too expensive as well, so the bus costing less doesn't mean an awful lot really.

Walking from Bray to town would be far too expensive in terms of the labour cost. It would take hours therefore not feasible. Cycling is much the same, unless the poster is super-fit and has a very decent bicycle.

It means quite an awful lot that the bus is the cheapest actually... Taxi or driving your own car would be costing far more and with the bus you just pay the fare and it brings you there without any worries of parking or anything like that. You can buy a 7 days ticket for the bus or a leap card too which saves quite a bit on each fare too. :)

As someone else mentioned above, mobile phone charges are another thing that's a joke in this country. 13c to send one text is just plain ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Larianne wrote: »

It's yellow in some parts of Mayo... :(

That's not a tap!

KKkitty wrote: »
    I hate rolling my own but these cigarettes are easy to make up. My fella smokes them and they are strong enough.

I'll give them a go and see what the Craic is. 15 quid is still expensive though :L

I'll give them a go and see what the Craic is. 15 quid is still expensive though :L
    It's about €5 per 20 cigarettes if my maths are correct? Give them a try anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

166man wrote: »
    Walking from Bray to town would be far too expensive in terms of the labour cost. It would take hours therefore not feasible. Cycling is much the same, unless the poster is super-fit and has a very decent bicycle.

It means quite an awful lot that the bus is the cheapest actually... Taxi or driving your own car would be costing far more and with the bus you just pay the fare and it brings you there without any worries of parking or anything like that. You can buy a 7 days ticket for the bus or a leap card too which saves quite a bit on each fare too. :)

As someone else mentioned above, mobile phone charges are another thing that's a joke in this country. 13c to send one text is just plain ridiculous.

Inconvenient is not the same as expensive, though. With somewhere like Bray then yeah, the bus would be the best option, I'm not disputing that. Simply saying that just because it's cheaper than taking the car, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's cheap.

leaveiton wrote: »
    Inconvenient is not the same as expensive, though. With somewhere like Bray then yeah, the bus would be the best option, I'm not disputing that. Simply saying that just because it's cheaper than taking the car, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's cheap.

Of course, but relative to the other options, it's the best choice he can make if saving money is a priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Tampax, Sanitary towels etc. A bit cheaper than they used to be, but still too dear for what are 'essential' items... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

You really need a girlfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

The staff don't set the prices. Bit of a cuntish thing to do TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

The last half inch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Blow Jobs with no condoms.

They're looking for mad money these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

wyndham wrote: »
    Garlic sauce in takeaways. €1.50-€2 in some places. For 10c worth of sauce.
    Ditto bacon on your burger.
    Just bring your own in a small bottle.... sorted.

Same with cheese slices for your burger. :)

One well known truckers restaurant at Three Ways Australia use to charge 50c for a sachet of vinegar and 10c for salt. :eek:

They could get away with it because the nearest supermarket was several hundred miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Broadband.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Repeat exam papers in colleges.

Yeah I'm sure it really costs €70 in admin fees for some fat aul wan in the department office to press her sausage fingers on a mouse click no more than five times when she's supposed to be there working anyway.
    And the invigilators work for free, there's no cost for providing / heating a venue, or for corrections or externing or uploading marks etc. etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

longshanks wrote: »
    Broadband.

Not as bad as it used to in Dial Up 56K days, it was charged by the minute, service was sh*te and people didnt stay on line for long. There was one Net Cafe in Ennis that use to charge about 5 old money for half an hour,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Just thought I'd make you feel better and let you know decent smokes are 1.20 where I live. That's the good ones mind you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

80c for a packet of crisps

Advertisement