Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The little things that cost too much

Options

Comments

maninasia wrote: »
    Just thought I'd make you feel better and let you know decent smokes are 1.20 where I live. That's the good ones mind you!

80c for Marlboro Reds where I live :-p Or 40c for the cheap ones.

Can't get over the prices in this thread.. Makes me realize it'll be a long time before I go home. Like I pay about 10c for a glass bottle of coke in the corner shop next door.

Edit: 208 bottles of coke for an hour's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

ArtSmart wrote: »
    For a while now, I've taken pleasure in taking an item to a counter, asking the price, then saying 'nah, too expensive' and leaving it there.

it's the little things....

More people should do this if the price is a piss take. Staff relay to management that people are price sensitive that way.
    I would nt take pleasure in it. I'd be rightly pissed off to have to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Smokes!! 8.90 for my beloved superking blacks!
    It's made me start rolling my own although I'd say they'll hike up the price of rolling tobacco soon too :rolleyes:

Lung surgery and medical bills for smoking related I'll health in years to come ......

Give the coffin nails up FFS.

/ awaits backlash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

No you are right, making smokes and junk food too cheap is a false economy. It's well known ratcheting up the price is the best way to make people quit. I don't smoke so I can't even take advantage of the cheap prices...which wouldn't be so cheap as soon as I got lung cancer.
    50 Euro to see a doctor is ridiculous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭dodzy

Joe Duffy motors service dept. Anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

80c for Marlboro Reds where I live :-p Or 40c for the cheap ones.

Can't get over the prices in this thread.......

Where do you live, South Armagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

M three wrote: »
    Yorkie chocolate bars. Or any chocolate bars.
    Was charged €1.15 for a yorkie a month ago in the applegreen in ashbourne.
    Robbing baxtards. The bar itself is also getting smaller

Everything chocolatey seems to be reducing in size or getting more expensive. I'm looking at tins of Cadbury Roses sweets and they're reducing in size every year. The price has reduced but per volume, I'm sure it's more expensive.

2006 - 1.46kg net (1.5kg with wraps)
    2007 - 1.26kg net (1.3kg with wraps)
    2008 - 1.018kg net (1.05kg with wraps)
    2010 - 943g net (975g with wraps)
    2011 - 826g net (850g with wraps)
    2012 - Haven't checked the tins yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Remember the prices we paid for printer USB cables 10 years ago? What idiots we were!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

E500 to Western Union to release $10,000,000. shocking...

9959 wrote: »
    Where do you live, South Armagh?

He's in Asia. South Armagh prices are €3 for branded cigarettes or €2.20-2.50 for chinese ones.

• Advertisement

longshanks wrote: »
    Broadband.

Broadband is essentially free up North if you get it in a bundle with TV (assuming you would pay for TV anyway). Once fibre optic comes about in the Republic prices will drop to match.

Shaving cream/foam

LIDL shaving foam (not the gel) is better than the branded foam, and much kinder to dry skin... pity the same can't be said for their disposable razors.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I am staying in a lovely, modern four star hotel on the Dutch coast.

My room is huge, it has wi-fi (the reason I'm on here now), an indoor pool, a full bar and restaurant with a good selection of grub and a night's stay including breakfast is €75. Dinner in the restaurant is €20 for three courses and a glass of wine.

Now how much would I be paying for equivalent service in Ireland?

Let's face it - Ireland, despite 5 full years of a crippling recession, is still a total rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

maninasia wrote: »

Just thought I'd make you feel better and let you know decent smokes are 1.20 where I live. That's the good ones mind you!

Asia? Im moving there so :L

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

kneemos wrote: »
    80c for a packet of crisps

*air

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

Choc Dips. €1.40-1.60 each in most centra's.

All your really paying for is a plastic tub.

The chocolate dip and sticks must cost 15 cents to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Pint bottles of bulmers. I do like it on a warm day, but can't justify paying so much for a class of apple juice. It's about €1.50 more than a normal pint of beer.
    Motor tax is a painful one to pay too. Old big cars are almost worthless cos the motor tax is so high. Even if you're retired and want a nice car for the odd trip, you need about €1,500 a year just to have it sitting outside your house.

Boards :(

I know Boards is great but a €75 deposit to join and then €50 a month is expensive. The annual newsletter helps, I suppose...
    Worth it to get a custom avatar. And to join the sex partys that El Weirdo organises on the Sex and Sexuality forum.
    but you pay for the signal, not the channel. its just a shame the government gived the money to RTE
    They can have the poxy signal. I wish it was optional, it was scrambled and you get a card when you get your tv licence that unscrambled it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    The NCT.
    Air. €1 in a Topaz in Dublin. :eek:
    Guess who found out that 15 minutes before the NCT :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

eth0 wrote: »
    Anything in Maplin
    65e for a battery that should only cost 20.
    Which battery ? (just to see if we can find it for even less :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

And the invigilators work for free, there's no cost for providing / heating a venue, or for corrections or externing or uploading marks etc. etc.?

You're right they don't work for free.

That's what that tiny sum of 2,250 euro I paid is for. "Admin costs". The same sum which pays for the aul biddies wages whether they sit in the office or sit in in front of exam students.

No difference really, same job they do everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

166man wrote: »
    The price of repeats is so high so to encourage people not just casually fail exams... Hardly rocket science there tbh. I think it's a great system, the decent students who aren't just wasting Government resources don't pay.

Sorry, I know what you mean and all, but the highlighted bold part is complete and utter bollox.

You've never struggled with a certain subject/module academically or needed extra assistance ?

Using the, "you're too lazy and slow, that'll be 100 euro" approach doesn't change a thing. We're not all on grants just passing the time.

And that tiny sum of 2,250 euro I pay states it covers "admin costs".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

dodzy wrote: »
    Joe Duffy motors service dept. Anything.

Tis' terrible, Joe.

but you pay for the signal, not the channel. its just a shame the government gived the money to RTE
    You don't pay for the signal, you pay for the privilege of possessing a piece of equipment that could potentially receive any one of a number of signal types, even if said equipment is in need of repair and even if the signal is of a type that will only be transmitted in Donegal for the next fifty odd days.

Gillington wrote: »
    I think they are alright,same with Lidl/Aldi.Fajita kits for example are €1.99 and are the exact same things that people are saying are near a fiver in other shops
    no they aen't the same. Tesco kits are vile too salty and exactly teh same as either lidl/aldi (can't remember which one)

M three wrote: »
    Cheaper veg in a fruit & veg shop or at your local market. Or better still if you can grow your own.
    Fruit & veg is cheaper in a fruit & veg shop than any of the supermarkets. And more chance of it coming from Ireland so you're supporting more irish jobs
    TBH I haven't seen anything in a fruit and veg shop cheaper than the stuff in the super six thread in bargain alerts

and a lot if not most of the fruit and veg sold here in supermarkets is bought in local markets

Remember the prices we paid for printer USB cables 10 years ago? What idiots we were!
    I can remember £30 for a parallel printer cable :mad:

twirlagig wrote: »
    Tampax, Sanitary towels etc. A bit cheaper than they used to be, but still too dear for what are 'essential' items... :mad:
    And they can't blame the VAT rate either

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

JupiterKid wrote: »
    My room is huge, it has wi-fi (the reason I'm on here now), an indoor pool, a full bar and restaurant with a good selection of grub and a night's stay including breakfast is €75. Dinner in the restaurant is €20 for three courses and a glass of wine.

That is one amazing room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Empty promises.

Would it be too much to stick to your words. It's foul in the early days of dating. There's usually a meaning left unsaid. Why say things if you don't mean it and stay the fcuk away from dating if you don't know how to communicate honestly.

He's in Asia. South Armagh prices are €3 for branded cigarettes or €2.20-2.50 for chinese ones.

Sorry, what??
    Smokes are that cheap up north? :eek:

uberalles wrote: »
    Lung surgery and medical bills for smoking related I'll health in years to come ......

Give the coffin nails up FFS.

/ awaits backlash

If only it was that easy :L

F***ing Eircom F***ing €25.78 per F***ing month Line F***ing Rental :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm paying UPC €33.49 for phone line, a few analog TV channels and internet.
    So my broadband is costing me €7.71 (and that's only because they hiked prices recently) for speeds up to 40 times faster than some Eircom customers I know.

And the reason it costs that much is because UPC don't have to worry about eircom offering any realistic competition on speed or cost.

and eircom don't have to worry because half the population has no choice at all and the government are paying for several hundred thousand lines at €22 per month :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sorry, what??
    Smokes are that cheap up north? :eek:

The under the counter ones... Country of Origin "South Armagh".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

As already said to the folks (rightfully) giving out about the price of razor blades, you're doing it all wrong.

Invest in a decent double edged safety razor (got mine for €35, should last a lifetime) and never look back. Not only is it a cleaner, more satisfying shave, the blades are ridiculously cheap. The ones in the link are what i use, and yes, that's €14 for 100 blades. Over 2 years worth of shaving for that money.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/100-Astra-Superior-Platinum-DE-Blades-Carton.html

Advertisement