Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The little things that cost too much

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭skeptik

benwavner wrote: »
    Bottled water..........tap is just as good.

not if you live where I do, the tap water is poison

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ya tap water in laois is horrendous stuff. I cant stand it but the old chap loves it.

Each to their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Repeat exam papers in colleges.

Yeah I'm sure it really costs €70 in admin fees for some fat aul wan in the department office to press her sausage fingers on a mouse click no more than five times when she's supposed to be there working anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

euroshop again, 10 for €2

are people afraid to shop there?

I think they are alright,same with Lidl/Aldi.Fajita kits for example are €1.99 and are the exact same things that people are saying are near a fiver in other shops

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

dgt wrote: »
    Those cfl bulbs that cost nearly €10 a bulb :mad:

Here in Galway, Woodies DIY had 11W CFL bulbs for eur0.59 recently, and may still have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Bog Rolls, € 3.25 + for 4 rolls of Andrex, etc....

Andrex 24 pack for e7.99 in Buylo, Royal Liver Retail Park, Bluebell, Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Local county councillers.
    They are only allowed to ask one question per month at council meetings.

Ffs.
    Why have them at all.

45k + costs + expenses each + pension for life, per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Koka noodles! Paying €3.80 for five packets of curry-flavoured nostalgia nearly kills me. The Aldi alternative only cost 20c a pack but aren't the same. Koka were 25p per packet when they first came out :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

spankysue wrote: »
    500ml bottles of Coke, €1.65 in my local shop yet you can buy a 1 litre share size bottle for €1.50... fcuking ridiculous.

You can get 1000 litres of coke for 250 euro..fcuking ridiculous remember the overheads and if you can beat it get in there and do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

MaxSteele wrote: »

Yeah I'm sure it really costs €70 in admin fees for some fat aul wan in the department office to press her sausage fingers on a mouse click no more than five times when she's supposed to be there working anyway.

It's more than that. They have to then organise and set up the repeat exams, have people invigilate the exams and then have people correct the exams and see to any appeals there after.

I'm sure the hefty fee is also meant to work as a deterrent.

No repeat fees in Trinners though! :pac:

• Advertisement

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Here in Galway, Woodies DIY had 11W CFL bulbs for eur0.59 recently, and may still have.

I bought them for 20p sterling in belfast but i guess they are being sold below cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

skeptik wrote: »
    not if you live where I do, the tap water is poison

It's ok where I am anyway. Bottled water for you so.

Delis who offer 3 to € 3.50 lunchtime offers for chicken fillet rolls with any filling of your choosing......

50c extra for cheese :mad:

Fu*ck off you're alright.

Have you bought cheddar cheese and do you realise how much it is. I think thats very reasonible. A breast of chicken is 1 euro, a baguette 50 cent..before you pay for the oven,electricity,staff,rent, rates ,napkins, tinfoil, vat, taxes, :rolleyes:

Larianne wrote: »
    It's more than that. They have to then organise and set up the repeat exams, have people invigilate the exams and then have people correct the exams and see to any appeals there after.

I'm sure the hefty fee is also meant to work as a deterrent.

No repeat fees in Trinners though! :pac:

Ya whoores :p

All they have to do is type up names, a timetable and send a few emails. The lecturers are the ones who write them up and supervise. I'm talking about different departments for different faculties too.

Using money as a deterrent doesn't work either. Some people genuinely struggle with certain subjects. Heathens the lot of them !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Sam Kade wrote: »
    For the price of the two haircuts you could buy a hair clippers and give them several haircuts for €20. Number 4 all over is simple to do.
    We've already started doing that. My fella's the hairdresser now. They can't waste €10 of electricity in 5 minutes surely?

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Have you bought cheddar cheese and do you realise how much it is. I think thats very reasonible. A breast of chicken is 1 euro, a baguette 50 cent..before you pay for the oven,electricity,staff,rent, rates ,napkins, tinfoil, vat, taxes, :rolleyes:

Have you ever seen a deli at lunchtime on a working weekday ? mobbed to the gills, well the one I use does be.

I don't think they need a minority of cheese eaters to cover the costs you mentioned.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

All you people moaning about the price of haircuts for kids, and doing it yourselves with some nasty LIDL/ADLI shearer, please rethink.

We rely on tourism now so we don't want the whole country's kids running around looking like they have lice or mange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Any of the coffee or tea in delis or the likes. Same with coke etc. Like a previous poster said its an outrageous mark up. I can see cost prices where I work.

Coffee - 0.07c
    Disposable Cup 0.10c
    Selling price 2.20

Most stuff has a very healthy mark up but tea and coffee is where the money is made. Some of the bigger chains may even get it cheaper than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Shaving cream/foam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

TheUsual wrote: »
    We rely on tourism now so we don't want the whole country's kids running around looking like they have lice or mange.

What kind of tourism are you hoping for? The Gary Glitter type?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

What kind of tourism are you hoping for? The Gary Glitter type?

Now then, now then.
    Hows about that then.

*rattle rattle jewelry jewelry*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

KKkitty wrote: »
    We've already started doing that. My fella's the hairdresser now. They can't waste €10 of electricity in 5 minutes surely?
    They have rent, rates, esb, insurance etc. to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Prescription and non-prescription meds. Doctors visits too, €50 for a couple of minutes - you barely get to sit down before you're ushered back out to pay.

This !! And no matter what is wrong with me the doc almost always prescribes Augmentin !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

jsd1004 wrote: »
    You can get 1000 litres of coke for 250 euro..fcuking ridiculous remember the overheads and if you can beat it get in there and do it.

you can buy a keg as well but you also need the soda water and gas and mixers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

I cant believe it hasn't been mentioned yet!

Printer Ink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Duff wrote: »
    Razor blades. Condoms.
    If your condoms are 'little things' then you're not just wasting your money, you're wasting your time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

The price of repeats is so high so to encourage people not just casually fail exams... Hardly rocket science there tbh. I think it's a great system, the decent students who aren't just wasting Government resources don't pay.

As for whoever said drinks in restaurants are expensive. They are pricey relative to the meal that you buy, but as someone who works in a hotel, there's nearly no money in the sale of food. The only money is in the drinks, and this has to cover all costs that a hotel has and leave a small margin in it for them. When you look at it that way, it's not as ludicrous as it might seem.

In my opinion, McDonalds is ludicrously expensive for what you get. You pay near €8 and get a miserable burger, some skinny fries and watered down coke. You could nearly get a main course in some places these days for that.

Clamping is one thing that makes me want to die inside, the sheer cost to get someone to take something off your own car drives me insane especially when the clamp is a close call too. Bastads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Siuin wrote: »
    If your condoms are 'little things' then you're not just wasting your money, you're wasting your time :P

He'd be wasting his time using them on you anyway. Unless he had a roll of carpet in beside it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Sam Kade wrote: »
    They have rent, rates, esb, insurance etc. to pay.
    Per client in any given 5 minute period does it really cost that much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

The bus! It's €2.65 to get into town from where I live. And the service is ****e as well, buses every half hour. They should be coming every 15 minutes at least and there should be a flat fare of €2

Advertisement