Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The little things that cost too much

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Rigol wrote: »
    Thats them. The fruit better have been manually pressed between the breasts and flaps of the Hawaiian tropics girls for that price.

With the video thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

jessiejam wrote: »
    Surprised no-one has mentioned coke and hookers yet:D

Nobody has mentioned it because we have all moved on. Except you of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Chips. Over 2 quid for no more than 2 large potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Paid 80c for a Capri Sun the other day.

200ml, they need to make bigger sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Apple Products. (Iphone, macs, ipad etc..)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Tayto Park

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

MadYaker wrote: »
    Razor blades for shaving, 12 quid for 4!

Aldi's three blade razors 3.50 for ten,much better razors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

benwavner wrote: »
    Bottled water..........tap is just as good.

Not if you live in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Soft drinks at restaurants....

It's absurd and the main reason why I don't go out more often. 3-4 euro a coke; then I see them open a can and pour it into a glass. I can get the same can at retail prices and pay .50

Drives me crazy. No reason for it other than people seem to accept it as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

UCDVet wrote: »
    Soft drinks at restaurants....

It's absurd and the main reason why I don't go out more often. 3-4 euro a coke; then I see them open a can and pour it into a glass. I can get the same can at retail prices and pay .50

Drives me crazy. No reason for it other than people seem to accept it as normal.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

Paid 80c for a Capri Sun the other day.

200ml, they need to make bigger sizes.

They do make bigger ones. http://www.capri-sun.co.uk/our-drinks/330ml-juice
    And they also charge a bigger price.

You'd be better off buying the ten pack of 200ml. They are always on sale in dunnes, 1.79 for ten was the last i seen them i think.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

UCDVet wrote: »
    :confused:

In fairness do you expect them to charge what they paid for it? And let you enjoy their seating, electricity, waiters and experienced chefs for nothing? Maybe they should sell you the food what they paid for it too?

In fairness do you expect them to charge what they paid for it? And let you enjoy their seating, electricity, waiters and experienced chefs for nothing? Maybe they should sell you the food what they paid for it too?

Of course not.

I'm saying the mark up is *outrageous* compared to similar menu items and that it's only accepted because people think it's normal. Remember, the .50 can I purchase from Tesco also includes things like shelf-space, staff, electricity, etc....and you can hardly credit the chief with having anything to do with a soft-drink.

In other countries, you can walk into a restaurant and pay ~1 euro and get a large glass (larger than a single 330ml can) and all the refills you want. And *that* price still includes overhead costs.

To support my claim: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/09/08/top-5-food-mark-ups-where-restaurants-make-huge-profits/
    1. Non-Alcoholic Beverages
    This would include all soft drinks, coffee, and tea. The cost for restaurants in this area is literally pennies on the dollar. This is why many restaurants and chains switched to "free refills" without worrying one bit about their bottom line. These items cost the restaurant between 5 cents and 20 cents per serving. Keep that in mind the next time you want to order a $2.50 Coke. Soda is so cheap that paper cups, when used, represent a bigger expense than the soda itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

I had a few hours to kill last week so I went into Dundrum town centre and I decided to have a cup of tea at one of the places in there. I seen on the sign that a cup of tea was €2.20 and when I was in the queue I seen some butternut squash quiche so I decided to have a slice, I went up to pay and the guy at the till said "That'll be €10.05 please". €7.85 for a tiny slice of quiche :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

A haircut. I pay €10 every month for 10 minutes use of a scissors and a clippers.

Also, anything to do with dentistry is a rip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Coffee in restaurants. Got a large and medium latte in starbucks last week €7.20:eek:

Although I agree it's expensive and I don't order coffee when I'm out, what you're paying for is the whole process it takes to make that coffee. It's not as simple as adding boiling water, sugar and milk. The coffee is ground, pressed, the water is filtered through it, the milk is steamed etc.. If you don't want to pay through the nose then just order an Americano and stay away from starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

A haircut. I pay €10 every month for 10 minutes use of a scissors and a clippers.

Could you cut your hair better yourself?

And have you went to college for the amount of time it takes to become a dentist? You're paying for the experience and the fact that the person has invested a lot of money and years of their life to get into this profession. It's not nice to pay but you have to understand where its coming from. Why would they bother if they were receiving the same pay as a job that doesn't require years in college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Thread only endorses why whenever I travel city to city ,I take my own home made sandwiches ,snacks and beverages ie, tap water , diluted blackcurrant / orange and flask of coffee .The effort is so much cheaper and healthier .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Coffee in restaurants. Got a large and medium latte in starbucks last week €7.20:eek:
    Well at least Starbucks pay their taxes.
    Ghandee wrote: »
    Packet of old el paso fajitas.

Nearly a fiver for.
    wait until they are on special for €2 and stock up

Place in Thomas Street up past Lidl does hair cuts for a fiver

The price of soft drinks in a pub really does my head in :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Getting tea in a restaurant or café. Costs around 1.70 (where I go in university) when a whole box of teabags costs 2/3 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Chips. Over 2 quid for no more than 2 large potatoes.

Bargain. Can't beat a nice bag of chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

juan.kerr wrote: »
    You mean 50,000%.

It's ok. It's magic popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Duff wrote: »
    Razor blades.

Doing it wrong tbh. Come over to the Facial Hair and Hats forum for some edumacation.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

500ml bottles of Coke, €1.65 in my local shop yet you can buy a 1 litre share size bottle for €1.50... fcuking ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

For my 2 boys who are both under 7 years old to get a haircut in a salon it's €10 each. It barely takes 5 minutes each to cut both their hair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Boards.ie subscription.

The sex forum is a huge let down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Anything in Maplin

9.99e for a few meters of shrink tube.

65e for a battery that should only cost 20.

and everything else in there as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

A fanny?!!

100% with the razor blades.

Advertisement