Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Maybe some British politicians should watch that and ensure their 'heroes' get the treatment that their sacrifices deserve instead of these people being forced to beg by selling poppies.

Why don't their Government look after them
    Properly?

Interesting point. One of Britain's biggest exports is weapons. It generates a staggering income for this country - the sellers really do profit from wars and it's an industry that we don't see enough protests about. The most comic episode was when you had an expo coming up just before the last Iraq war and Prince Andrew and his business chums were milling about and almost bumped into the Iraqu delegation! A phenomenal amount of money swirls around the industry and yet when it comes to the grunts - well, we see that they are badly equipped and often treated with contempt by the Govt.It's a big, bad business - and one that I feel deserves more scrutiny than the poppy situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

All depends if you can use it as a front for drug dealing and fuel smuggling I guess.

Give me the names of IRA men with convictions for drug dealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Up until the second world war, most countries were run for the benefit of a few. Lets face it, the seven main founding fathers of the US, who signed a deceleration stating that "all men were equal under god" all owned farms and plantations worked by slaves.

Obviously "All Men" only applied to the white christian ones.

Yep, it was only around the turn of the last century that the idea of the state looking after its people began to take shape. And it took a long time to do so.

Prior to that, the idea of aiding people that were sick or destitute was abhorrent as it was believed by the elite that these problems were caused by idleness of the peasants.
    Politics was for the elite not the masses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

We don't know what Germany and Russia 'might' have done.
    Time you at least read up on it so, and educated yourself. In living memory of many people in this country, the Nazis cared precious little for small country or millions of innocent people of a different ethnic group / sexual deviation / whatever. If you saw a concentation camp or read about the Gulags you would at least know a bit about what they did do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Hidalgo wrote: »

Yep, it was only around the turn of the last century that the idea of the state looking after its people began to take shape. And it took a long time to do so.

Prior to that, the idea of aiding people that were sick or destitute was abhorrent as it was believed by the elite that these problems were caused by idleness of the peasants.
    Politics was for the elite not the masses.
    Thomas Paine ... French revolution ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

This year will be President Michael D Higgins 1st year at the Remembrance day service in St Patrick's Cathedral Dublin, and it will be interesting to see if he bucks the trend of previous ROI Presidents and actually wears a poppy on the big day! Previous years have seen Irish Government ministers, foreign dignitaries, commonwealth leaders, embassy officials + nearly everybody else in the cathedral wearing poppies as a mark of respect on Remembrance Sunday, but the President of the ROI has always abstained, which is of course his/her choice . . . .

Might he actually wear a Poppy & buck the trend?

I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

LordSutch wrote: »
    This year will be President Michael D Higgins 1st year at the Remembrance day service in St Patrick's Cathedral Dublin, and it will be interesting to see if he bucks the trend of previous ROI Presidents and actually wears a poppy on the big day! Previous years have seen Irish Government ministers, foreign dignitaries, commonwealth leaders, embassy officials + nearly everybody else in the cathedral wearing poppies as a mark of respect on Remembrance Sunday, but the President of the ROI has always abstained, which is of course his/her choice . . . .

Might he actually wear a Poppy & buck the trend?

I doubt it.
    Would be surprised if he does considering the soldiers that that poppy glorifies and remembers came very close to murdering his Da.

Is it not enough that he goes to the remembrance day event or are all those who want o attend to have a poppy forced on them?

GRMA wrote: »
    Would be surprised if he does considering the soldiers that that poppy glorifies and remembers came very close to murdering his Da.

Wow, I didn't know that!
    GRMA wrote: »
    Is it not enough that he goes to the remembrance day event or are all those who want o attend to have a poppy forced on them?

As I said in my previous post "Its his/her choice as president" but given what you have just disclosed about his Dad, It really would be a bloody miricle if he wore one, although after the Queen's now famous 'bow' to the Irish Republican fallen, then I guess anything is possible?

Its a personal choice.

Wow, I didn't know that!

As I said in my previous post "Its his/her choice as president" but given what you have just disclosed about his Dad, It really would be a bloody miricle if he wore one, although after the Queen's now famous 'bow' to the Irish Republican fallen, then I guess anything is possible?

Its a personal choice.
    I'm not entirely sure but I think his dad was sentenced to death at one point. He was definitely in the IRA though.

He ended up in the poorhouse in later years... to die. Michael D Higgins had a very poor childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭drumaneen

platinums wrote: »
    If however, there were, lets say a *shamrock* that went to support the 3,600 Irish people and their relatives that were affected by those wars then yes I would support that. [/URL]

There is ... See http://rbl-limerick.webs.com. Support away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The President should wear the poppy imo. We've established the Republic as a country and we should forget about past indiscretions and push forward. I'm not this 'West Brit' character which is often thrown at people like me, My Great grandfather's house was burnt down by the black and tans. He was a doctor who aided injured IRA men. They showed up at the door one night and politely ordered everybody out of the house including my grandmother in her pram.

In the here and now 2012, Ireland and Britain are as close as they've ever been since the 26 counties left the empire. We should strive to continue a strong relationship with our neighbours and remember the Irish who died on the battlefields.

32 counties is not possible at this time, remember that Westminster doesn't want to keep NI just like the majority in the Republic doesn't want to take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Give me the names of IRA men with convictions for drug dealing.

Yeah, I want these too. Let's be specific here.

Otherwise you're just blowing smoke up our holes, as always.

BTW I voted that Yes, we should wear poppies.

A gunshot in Sarajevo was heard in Dublin, two years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rantandrave

Do they even sell em over here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

heres a thought.... if the 30,000 who fought with the british in WW1, had fought instead with the easter 1916 rebels, we could be living in a very different country

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

nice_very wrote: »
    heres a thought.... if the 30,000 who fought with the british in WW1, had fought instead with the easter 1916 rebels, we could be living in a very different country

There are actually a good few examples of guys who fought in WW1, came back and fought in the War of Independence.

People can change their minds, not have fixed opinions, I know its a revelation in threads like this. Buying a Poppy and a Lily can actually work.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Do they even sell em over here

Yes - See post#331 (page 23) last paragraph.

. . . Dunno for how much longer though, as the elderly ladies who sell them in Dublin and countrywide are getting fewer and fewer as the years pass by. Obviously you can get a poppy at this time of year in any Church of Ireland/ Methodist or Preysbyterian Church (small contribution always welcome), but Poppy sellers on the streets are slowly becoming a thing of the past in the ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I wear a poppy in memory of a grandfather who was killed at the Somme. Many young Irishmen joined up due to the poverty and deprivation here at the time and the lack of jobs. Their wage meant that their family could eat. I'm sure some of them joined up to stop the Nazis taking over Europe but who knows what motivated them. I'm sure some joined for the adventure but soon discovered the dirty reality of war in the trenches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

I always break into fits when I see em.. I think they look like like a bloody bullethole garnished with some cress

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Yes - See post#331 (page 23) last paragraph.

. . . Dunno for how much longer though, as the elderly ladies who sell them in Dublin and countrywide are getting fewer and fewer as the years pass by. Obviously you can get a poppy at this time of year in any Church of Ireland/ Methodist or Preysbyterian Church (small contribution always welcome), but Poppy sellers on the streets are slowly becoming a thing of the past in the ROI.

Certainly never seen them been sold in public in the south never mind the six counties. And even in the north, somehow I cann't see them been sold in nationalist areas of Belfast, Tyrone etc Can you imagine trying to sell poppies outside of a GAA ground in say, South Armagh or Dundalk or clubs with names like Na Piarsaigh in Cork !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Certainly never seen them been sold in public in the south never mind the six counties. And even in the north, somehow I cann't see them been sold in nationalist areas of Belfast, Tyrone etc Can you imagine trying to sell poppies outside of a GAA ground in say, South Armagh or Dundalk or clubs with names like Na Piarsaigh in Cork !!!!!!

Continue to delude yourself if it makes you happy but if I can buy one outside a local supermarket - in Enniscorthy - every year....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Continue to delude yourself if it makes you happy but if I can buy one outside a local supermarket - in Enniscorthy - every year....:rolleyes:

Interesting, maybe you could post a pic to prove me wrong ....... :) I'm sure their are lots of Brit army fans in the town where the Battle of Vinegar Hill happened and subsequent massacres, burnings and transportation of the local population.
    Continue to delude yourself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Interesting, maybe you could post a pic to prove me wrong ....... :) I'm sure their are lots of Brit army fans in the town where the Battle of Vinegar Hill happened and subsequent massacres, burnings and transportation of the local population.
    Continue to delude yourself :D

I don't need a history lesson about Vinegar Hill and 1798 - I had relatives on both sides - and if you care to come down sometime I'll buy you a pint and introduce you to some poppy wearers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

maringo wrote: »
    I wear a poppy in memory of a grandfather who was killed at the Somme. Many young Irishmen joined up due to the poverty and deprivation here at the time and the lack of jobs. Their wage meant that their family could eat. I'm sure some of them joined up to stop the Nazis taking over Europe but who knows what motivated them. I'm sure some joined for the adventure but soon discovered the dirty reality of war in the trenches.

But you're also wearing it commemorating murderers who shot dead and murdered children on the streets of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

I find it bemusing how the people of the UK don't demand that their forces be taken out of that hell hole.

We understand how the world works. It must be lovely to bury your head in the sand, believe that the Americans are the real fascists and that the world would operate just wonderfully without them.

It wouldn't.
    Indeed this poppy fascism is the antithesis of what the people laid down their lives for on the beaches of Normandy and plains of Europe in WWII. For the above reason and the slaughter of my kin-folk on the streets of the north by the British Army I will never wear a poppy.

Look at you pathetically trying to use WW2 as an excuse to not wear the Poppy. You won't wear the poppy because of the troubles. It has nothing to do with WW2 you worm.

It's just a struggle for you to balance your beliefs knowing that the army you hate did everybody a great service in WW2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Yes, as Brittas Bay gets more common the West Brits are moving south :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

....................................................................................

Look at you pathetically trying to use WW2 as an excuse to not wear the Poppy. You won't wear the poppy because of the troubles. It has nothing to do with WW2 you worm.

It's just a struggle for you to balance your beliefs knowing that the army you hate did everybody a great service in WW2.

Admittedly they moved at Dunkirk. Now if the British runers could emulate their forefathers ......... they might win some sprints in the Olympics.
    Good morning Fred!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

My grandfather fought in the first world war and he was a Leitrim man, I wouldnt begrudge him if he wore a poppy to remember the people he fought with.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

We owe a bigger debt to the Russians for destroying Nazism. If this was really about the debt we owe to people who stopped Nazism people wouldn't wear a British nationalist symbol which only remembers British soldiers - of all generations, from WW1 till now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

We understand how the world works.

You do? Is that why the empire collapsed? Is that why ye left Iraq with your tail between your legs? Is that why ye'r getting picked off by the Taliban and will inevitably leave there with your tail between the legs again and have wasted all those young lives for SFA?
    It must be lovely to bury your head in the sand, believe that the Americans are the real fascists and that the world would operate just wonderfully without them. It wouldn't.

It must be nice to have the keys to alternate realities. While you're there could you tell me what Britain would have looked like if Hitler didn't attack Russia and instead invaded Britain?
    Look at you pathetically trying to use WW2 as an excuse to not wear the Poppy. You won't wear the poppy because of the troubles. It has nothing to do with WW2.

The troubles is one reason of many. I wouldn't wear a Easter Lilly either fwiw. There's too much glorification of conflict and death associated with these symbols imo. Also, I'm not the only one who thinks that poppy fascism has gotten out of hand:
    'When you wish to wear yours is your business. Compelling people to wear poppies because YOU think they OUGHT to is precisely the Poppy fascism, or intolerance, that I have complained of in the past.

'On yer bike Stan, with or without a poppy, it’s all your own free choice..Hitler lost the war!'

Jon Snow.
    you worm.

Careful now.

Ah yes. Let's forget all the nasty things the BA has done down through the years and focus on WWII. Cherry picking nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 MatthewWC

BX 19 wrote: »
    Because an estimated 30,000 people died in WW1 from Ireland. Simple as. It's a symbol remembering those who died, and nothing more.

This man speaks the truth, some **** stirring on here

Yea i'd wear one

Advertisement