Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you Speak Irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

9959 wrote: »
    In relation to Religion, Politics or Irish Language devotees.
    1 Zealot = 1,000 'I'm just tryin' to get on with my life thanks and couldn't be arsed'.

Don't have a source for the above other than personal experience and common sense, though 'LANA BUS' would be emblematic of this idiocy.

By the way, in these straitened times, it's prudent to keep a 'weather eye' on ideologues, cranks and single-issue bores of every stripe.
    A 'little bit' of zealotry can go a long way, as we on this island know to our cost.
    The bus lane outside UCD says Bus Lana. Better get onto Dublin Bus. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The bus lane outside UCD says Bus Lana. Better get onto Dublin Bus. :rolleyes:

Be in no doubt, they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

Where exactly is that "Bus Lana". Not only are the words reversed, but it's missing a síneadh fada. Could cause confusion to motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Where exactly is that "Bus Lana". Not only are the words reversed, but it's missing a síneadh fada. Could cause confusion to motorists.

It most certainly could. Especially if the signs are taken away becaus some idiot goes on a crusade.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

I can never understand people complaining about the minority of Irish speakers considering the level of horse manure that's spouted by the average English speaker on a daily basis

• Advertisement

Sorcha16 wrote: »
    I can never understand people complaining about the minority of Irish speakers considering the level of horse manure that's spouted by the average English speaker on a daily basis

You not being an English speaker...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Aodh Rua

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The bus lane outside UCD says Bus Lana.

Please do show us this alleged writing, because it's not showing on the bus lane outside UCD, according to the Google Streetview of the Stillorgan Road entrance, where Lána Bus is repeatedly and clearly written.

UCD Streetview

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    You not being an English speaker...?

I'm not referring to English speakers collectively, I'm referring to English speakers who complain exclusively about Irish speakers. Goodness knows why when they most likely haven't even encountered one since Secondary School so the impact is absolutely negligible

Aodh Rua wrote: »
    Please do show us this alleged writing, because it's not showing on the bus lane outside UCD, according to the Google Streetview of the Stillorgan Road entrance, where Lána Bus is repeatedly and clearly written.

He's most probably lying. It was just a quick and easy negative reply he pulled out of his head to further his anti-Irish agenda.

The painted "Lána Bus" on roadways is the responsibility of DLRDCoCo's Roads Department, which strictly follow the Traffic Signs Manual. Not Dublin Bus as he claims.

I'm not referring to English speakers collectively, I'm referring to English speakers who complain exclusively about Irish speakers. Goodness knows why when they most likely haven't even encountered one since Secondary School so the impact is absolutely negligible

Thanks for clarifying. As an "average English speaker" I try to avoid "spoting horse manure", so perhaps you could enlighten me as to whom specifically you are referring to and what passes for horse manure.

I ask because, as an average English speaker, I'm not sure whether I should take this personally and you, presumably not being an average English speaker, have not given us any input into the various points raised on the thread as to the alleged over-empahis on the Irish language in society and the need to impress it on every secondary student in the country.

• Advertisement

Thanks for clarifying. As an "average English speaker" I try to avoid "spoting horse manure", so perhaps you could enlighten me as to whom specifically you are referring to and what passes for horse manure.

I ask because, as an average English speaker, I'm not sure whether I should take this personally and you, presumably not being an average English speaker, have not given us any input into the various points raised on the thread as to the alleged over-empahis on the Irish language in society and the need to impress it on every secondary student in the country.

It's clear that you take the Irish language very personally. ;)

I love all languages, including English and Irish, but there you are, on a silly crusade against some language that so happens to be Irish.

As Irish speakers, we'd rather be speaking both languages happily rather than speaking one bitterly. :D

I love all languages, including English and Irish, but there you are, on a silly crusade against some language that so happens to be Irish.

As Irish speakers, we'd rather be speaking both languages happily rather than speaking one bitterly. :D

Seriously? You wanted the "Bus Lane" signs removed because they were in English?

As an Irish speaker, you personally be happy speaking both langauges happily, but there have been plenty others demanding the removal of monolingual signs and the intorducation of bilingual services, irrespective of the usefulness and cost. I'm not against such things, but the most important thing is the that the information is conveyed, but thats me spouting horse manure apparently.

One person on this thread even complained about being forced - Forced! - to do business in English against her will!!

(God help the poor girl if she ever ventures abroad...)

Seriously? You wanted the "Bus Lane" signs removed because they were in English?

I never said that. Quote me.

Don't get ahead of yourself in the heat of anger. Think before you post next time.

I never said that. Quote me.

Don't get ahead of yourself in the heat of anger. Think before you post next time.

So you didn't.

So we're even - we've both wrongly accused each other of goign on a crusade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Aodh Rua

One person on this thread even complained about being forced - Forced! - to do business in English against her will!!

(God help the poor girl if she ever ventures abroad...)

Because all 7 billion people in the world conduct their business through English, of course.

Because all 7 billion people in the world conduct their business through English, of course.

I would seriously doubt that ALL seven billion do, but if they don't speak each others' native tongue, they're going to need a common language. Which won't be Irish.

Beyond that, you seem to have missed the point.

The poor boy probably hasn't even left Ireland yet. He thinks the World is a Utopian English-speaking paradise.

It raises the all-important question again - Gaelscoils.

Had he been sent to Gaelscoil or learnt Irish properly, he would be better equipped to venture abroad knowing the value of multiculturalism and multilingualism.

Instead, Ikky Poo2 will venture into the world as an English monoglot, more versed in British culture than Irish, and thus perceived by foreigners as British. This is the way of the vast majority of Irish people.

The English monoglot Irish are rarely interested in learning the language or culture of the host country, and have no sense of Irish identity. They are seen as British but can't admit to it, or just don't realise it.

To me, is the great tragedy of Irish people and their identity. What identity? They are seen a Brits because that is what they have become.

We have been an independent state for 90 years, ALL of our public schools should be Gaelscoils by now, but they're not.

Let's work on making it that way. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Absolutely pointless language, wish I could have spent all the classes during the 12 years in school learning a real language that would be of some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I would seriously doubt that ALL seven billion do, but if they don't speak each others' native tongue, they're going to need a common language. Which won't be Irish.

Beyond that, you seem to have missed the point.

Well, you might have a one in one hundred million chance that the common language is Irish, ya never know

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Smellafish

Is féidir liom dul go dtí an leithreas?

It's the only phrase that stuck

• Advertisement

The poor boy probably hasn't even left Ireland yet. He thinks the World is a Utopian English-speaking paradise.

Had he been sent to Gaelscoil or learnt Irish properly, he would be better equipped to venture abroad knowing the value of multiculturalism and multilingualism.

Instead, Ikky Poo2 will venture into the world as an English monoglot, more versed in British culture than Irish, and thus perceived by foreigners as British. This is the way of the vast majority of Irish people.

The English monoglot Irish are rarely interested in learning the language or culture of the host country, and have no sense of Irish identity. They are seen as British but can't admit to it, or just don't realise it.

To me, is the great tragedy of Irish people and their identity. What identity? They are seen a Brits because that is what they have become.

We have been an independent state for 90 years, ALL of our public schools should be Gaelscoils by now, but they're not.

Ha!! Four years of settled living and working in Berlin and speaking German kinda ridicules that argument!! But hey - never let the facts get in the way f an ad homeinem attack.

You seem to confuse the concepts of language and natinoality with identity. I am not my nationality and I am not my langauge. I don't know where Britian comes into it - "British" isn't a langauge.

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Well, you might have a one in one hundred million chance that the common language is Irish, ya never know

Yep. Point was mssed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Goodness knows why when they most likely haven't even encountered one since Secondary School so the impact is absolutely negligible
    Which actually sums the whole debate up on so many levels...

You know you could have just typed "you're all Jackeen West Brits and not as Irish as ME!!" and saved yourself the effort and wear on your keyboard.

TBH this kind of daft attitude is what turned me off the language more than being schooled in Peig ever did. It's very common among the Gaelgoiri. I've met vanishing small numbers where it wasn't the pervading attitude bubbling under the surface(funny enough they were Gaelthacht types whose first language was actually Irish). It's almost a rule they will feel like this and sooner or later it comes out, at first subtly usually ramping up to obvious in short order. I find it ironic the above poster goes on about multiculturalism in the same breath as the rest of his/her post.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Has the fact that we have a vast and rich English speaking cultural identity escaped you? Joyce, Beckett, Yeats all wrote in English.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But they were all west brits VK. A tragic cultural blight on oul Eirinn.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Out of interest do you actually speak Irish? Your location says Adelaide, I don't know if you're joking or not but ir not someone who doesn't even live in Ireland shouldn't be preaching to us about our culture!

You'd want to lay off on the personal attacks, both here and via PM, or I'll start reporting your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Nope.

Have barely anything, Irish in school was always a class I disliked and ranked with Religion as a waste of time. Compounded by the fact I still know **** all. I always felt it shouldnt be an exam subject.

No use in daily life, ZERO use in the business world, unfortunately there is no reason for me to use it.

And considering I've pretty much zero national pride, see no reason to bother either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The British aren't our enemies, get over it. Irish citizenship isn't linked to proficiency in, or appreciation of the language, regardless of how much you might like it to be. Everyone has an identity, even if it doesn't fit into your narrow understanding. Maybe you've lost touch with Irishness?

Answer me this: Why should all public schools be Gaelscoils?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Another question. Do Americans, Canadians, Australians or New Zealanders have no sense of their national identity and are "seen a Brits because that is what they have become"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's very common among the Gaelgoiri.

No, it isn't. Stop attempting to demonise Irish language speakers as if they are some societal evil. Irish language speakers don't determine someone's 'Irishness' by whether they speak Irish or not. To imply that it's a common view in Irish language circles is either wilful ignorance, or intentionally disingenuous.

I know exactly the type of ilk you are referring to who bring up the "who's more Irish than who" argument - and the majority of them only have pigin Irish at best themselves. They are knuckle-draggers, and to try and label Gaelgeoirí as common amongst their ranks is disappointing from you.

Being a Gaelgeoir doesn't imply anything other than you are an Irish language speaker. No more, no less.

Advertisement