Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Saorview reception reports:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Rick_

Just checked there, Clermont is roaring in to Armagh! All TV's now set up and channels re-ordered to suit. Ahh... that's better! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Paddy C wrote: »
    Just checked there, Clermont is roaring in to Armagh! All TV's now set up and channels re-ordered to suit. Ahh... that's better! :D

Get back to work! yer late! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Badwolf35

I am in mid/north Antrim and in the early hours of the morning after the Limavady mux on C53 turned off I found I was able to get the Clermont Carn C53 mux with stable pictures even though the signal level was 25% and quality was low. I have to admit I was very surprised. I took some screen shots and will post later with some more details.
    I am not at home to try the high power C52 mux yet but it has to be good.

Screen shots from C53 last night added.
    Checked C52 now, full scale on signal and quality. Reception good obviously.

Put my meter on each.
    C52 72 dBuV
    C53 44 dBuV
    Aerial is Televes X43 with Fringe supreme C/D amp only about 15ft agl (much less would do now)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

dbcool wrote: »
    well on the ni rte mux - home and away is currently blocked!

Bureaucratic stupidity!

1) Over 55% can get actual Saorview.
    2) Near 100% can get Saorsat.

What ever UK channel or whoever is behind the Blocking is a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭buggane

Not a peep from Clermont on the west coast of the IOM.

I was getting the analogue signal but removed the aerial a few weeks ago however the signal on Ch 53 was coming in with a reading since and occassionally strong enough to scan in (depending on weather). Today both Ch53 and 52 are barely showing a reading.

I did pick up somewhere that the signal may still be nulled towards the IOM - anyone any firm info on this? - before I try rerigging the outside aerial. (Ps the upside is the NIMM at Black Mountain is belting in 100%).

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    Bureaucratic stupidity!

1) Over 55% can get actual Saorview.
    2) Near 100% can get Saorsat.

What ever UK channel or whoever is behind the Blocking is a moron.
    Channel 5 I think have the rights, was unblocked on SKY for a while (maybe still is?) but they are probably kicking ass again.
    However from reports here Clermont E52 is belting into Belfast so no desperate need of NIMM! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

buggane wrote: »
    I did pick up somewhere that the signal may still be nulled towards the IOM - anyone any firm info on this?

Latest comreg technical parameters here would seem to show fairly hefty restrictions on ch. 52 towards IOM.

I'm not 100% sure how to interpret the data, but certainly there is an arc from 60-150 degrees that shows (presumably) dB restrictions from max. power ranging to 21 dB between 90-110 degrees. As I say, I don't know how exactly this relates to the radiation pattern of the transmitting aerials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭fionnsda

north west region

anybody know anything about moville?

i was getting moville in about 20% up untill today,now its gone :eek:

fionnsda wrote: »
    north west region

anybody know anything about moville?

i was getting moville in about 20% up untill today,now its gone :eek:

Due a power up today. I would try a rescan later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JamesyBelfast

Just tried my indoor loft aerial here in East Belfast city and it's picking up the full range of Saorview channels perfectly (received very poor analogue RTE with that previously).

Am quite amazed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭buggane

To techy for me but I guess the null towards us (IOM) us is quite severe or something would have registered at switchover.

Cheers anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

buggane wrote: »
    Not a peep from Clermont on the west coast of the IOM.

I was getting the analogue signal but removed the aerial a few weeks ago however the signal on Ch 53 was coming in with a reading since and occassionally strong enough to scan in (depending on weather). Today both Ch53 and 52 are barely showing a reading.

I did pick up somewhere that the signal may still be nulled towards the IOM - anyone any firm info on this? - before I try rerigging the outside aerial. (Ps the upside is the NIMM at Black Mountain is belting in 100%).

reslfj estimated the the possible ERP in kilowatts output allowing for the restrictions in this thread. Seems ch 52 from CC wont be great for the IoM then? Ch 53 shuts down on 7 November.

reslfj estimated the the possible dB output allowing for the restrictions

He used the quoted restrictions to work out the ERP in kilowatts & also mentioned tilting of the antenna's main beam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Latest comreg technical parameters here would seem to show fairly hefty restrictions on ch. 52 towards IOM.

I'm not 100% sure how to interpret the data, but certainly there is an arc from 60-150 degrees that shows (presumably) dB restrictions from max. power ranging to 21 dB between 90-110 degrees. As I say, I don't know how exactly this relates to the radiation pattern of the transmitting aerials.
    What this means is that apart from the arc from 060 to 150 degrees at the transmission site there is clearance for full power to be used at Clermont Carn. This is the "internationally agreed" restriction and doesn't necessarily reflect the actual performance of the transmitting aerial. However considering the restriction is over a 90 degree arc centred roughly ESE, the transmitting aerial can simply be done over a 270 degree arc with three tiers of 90 degree panels with no panels facing out towards the Irish Sea.

The db values are the restrictions imposed internationally (sometimes these are imposed domestically to prevent internal co-channel interference) whereby 0db is no restriction from the maximum ERP allocated. 3db would represent a restriction of half the maximum ERP allocated in a certain direction. Using a rough calculation, a 21db restriction limit in a certain direction would from a maximum ERP of 160kW give a restricted ERP limit of approx 1.3kW in that direction.

Anyone getting Moville? I saw a post a while ago saying it was off ATM. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pharmerboy

Im having no luck with moville. Was able to get a fair analogue signal from there but nothing now!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

For some sports (eg. Champions League football) RTE would only hold the rights for the RoI (ITV for N.I.) and therefore not allowed to broadcast that from platforms (SKY, Freeview) within N.I. but OK on Saorview as that is "only for RoI" viewers ;)

thanks - I see - well shame on all parties concerned - that should have been all thrashed out before going live on the NIMM

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

dmm1000 wrote: »
    thanks - I see - well shame on all parties concerned - that should have been all thrashed out before going live on the NIMM

But this was to be expected: there are blackouts on Virgin cable and Sky in NI as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

dmm1000 wrote: »

It was 'thrashed out' before today. That's why it's blocked. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Any idea when Moville is getting a kick up the backside?

I'm assuming this report below re: Moville is causing the lack of Saorview at my house in Limavady.
    Due a power up today. I would try a rescan later on.

Having had decent Saorview pre DSO I just assumed that I would receive it without bother after all got boosted.

Also, I thought that I read somewhere that RTE1, RTE2 SD + TG4 were coming onto UK freeview also ...... was I doting or is this connected to Moville also?

Ta

• Advertisement

Liamalone wrote: »
    Also, I thought that I read somewhere that RTE1, RTE2 SD + TG4 were coming onto UK freeview also ...... was I doting or is this connected to Moville also?

Nothing to do with Moville. The NIMux, as it's known, is being transmitted from Brougher Mtn., as well as Black Mtn. & Carnmoney Hill in Belfast.

Nothing to do with Moville. The NIMux, as it's known, is being transmitted from Brougher Mtn., as well as Black Mtn. & Carnmoney Hill in Belfast.

Cheers, is this a special thing for Belfast folk lol, Is it coming to the north of the country?

pharmerboy wrote: »
    Im having no luck with moville. Was able to get a fair analogue signal from there but nothing now!

Moville now up!

i used to get 20% strength, now 67% :D

Moville now up!

Yes! Now receiving saorview from here outside broughshane

Liamalone wrote: »
    Cheers, is this a special thing for Belfast folk lol, Is it coming to the north of the country?

Factsheet here: http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/files/2012/07/NIMuxFactsheet4.pdf

Saorview is a superior service, you're not missing anything without the NIMux. It's limited in channel choice & resolution & will also have blacked out programming, due to licencing issues.

pharmerboy wrote: »
    Yes! Now receiving saorview from here outside broughshane

that sounds a fair old distance!

moville fairly pumping it out!

Factsheet here: http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/files/2012/07/NIMuxFactsheet4.pdf

Saorview is a superior service, you're not missing anything without the NIMux. It's limited in channel choice & resolution & will also have blacked out programming, due to licencing issues.

Thinking of my parents Peter, they have a non saorview tv in the kitchen and my father lives there during the day! Was hoping they would get the three RTE channels through UK freeview as he would watch RTE2 a lot for the gaelic - I know its finished but still.

Moville now up!

Sweet, retuned and getting it now :) Thanks for the heads up.

that sounds a fair old distance!

moville fairly pumping it out!

Yeah was quite surprised tbh im using the same aerial as limavady a c/d with mast amp.

According to freeview box the signal is good to very good! Hope it remains

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Poolkas

Interested to see someone in Omagh is OK. I have a DVB T2 tv (2 years old) in the bedroom, getting the usual Freeview and an MPEG4 set (10 months old) with MPEG4 aerial in the kitchen also getting the usual Freeview but never did have RTE. Retuned both, and still no RTE. Took the MPEG4 set to supplier who retuned and lo and behold got 8 RTE channels. He is apparently tuned to Strabane, I am tuned to Brougher. Back home and RTE channels had disappeared - no signal it says. Supplier told me I needed a HD box for the DVB T2 set also. Not what I understood. Any thoughts? I don't really want to have to get in an aerial man - more money. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Excellent rteception here in Jordanstown Co. Antrim.

Previously I had a good analogue signal but nothing at all from Saorview. Clermont Cairn is actually much stronger than the Divis P.S.B multiplexes, which came as a surprise, though not entirely unexpected.

I'm now getting the NI Mux from Carnmoney Hill and Black Mountain as well Saorview from C.C.

It'll be interesting to see if the Champions League match tonight is blocked on the NI Mux.

Advertisement