Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Garda Sergeant can't afford food

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Plazaman wrote: »

Yes, it's a well known fact that all Gardai do not pay tax :rolleyes:

Although I do call bullshít on this :

A Garda Sergeant would not be paid weekly, it's either fortnightly or monthly. You Madam, are a liar!

Afaik .... Guards are paid weekly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

It seems slightly odd to me as well. I understand that they could have a lot of bills and the fact that they don't have benefits like a medical card etc. but surely there's no way that a most of his take home pay would be gone to this. :confused:

I thought it was unusual as well that she mentioned they have no savings. What person would not put money aside for a rainy day? I'm sure when the boom was going they definitely could have afforded to put away money for their children's education. It mentions nothing of her working either and she makes no mention of whether she's looking for work and simply can't get it or anything like that. It said in the article this related article here http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1017/1224325338822.html?via=rel
    that the mabs adviser couldn't see how they could get they outgoings below 1,100 euro a week. If this has been calculated by a professional adviser maybe they really are having problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 12vdc

Ya ha ha , wasters do f##k all n anyways,
    This is a great site
    Us dirt bags need to all band together and slate the pigs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'd wager the family have at least some of the following -

- A post 2008 car
    - Gym membership
    - iPhone / A N other smart phone
    - Games consoles
    - Flat screen tv 36"+

If they don't have any of them then *maybe* I'll muster up an ounce of sympathy but even then, it's 65k a year ffs.

Is she working?

Also, she says they couldn't afford fees for a 'prestigious' college. What's wrong with a slightly lesser college and the kid working part time to pay the fees?

Another spoofer.
    You must adhere to personnel austerity when you're broke. You do it to avoid falling into debt; or deepening your current debt, hardly rocket science.

As I'm a poor student midway through a college degree I'm doing it myself.

iPhone? Not a chance, I've the same €30 Nokia for the past 3 years, I count myself lucky to have a phone.
    Annual vacation is the over to London for the October bank holiday weekend spent on my cousins couch.
    Clothes: Not quite X-Works jeans and fila hoodies, but far from this season Hilfiger collection. I'll start being part of the latest skinny jeans look in about ~2017.
    Gym membership; my dads garden is my gym.
    The new car I have is a 13 year ago 1 litre polo, its predecessor, a 12 year old Hiace van got the road as she was to heavy on fuel.
    Consumer electronics? I've a fairly decent Tamagotchi, I hope to get a new battery for it next birthday.
    Christmas? Christmas is cancelled. Its a bullsh!t modern phenomena anyway promoted by cash hungry business suits for rich frivolous ****.

I'm pretty much a modern day Oliver; now wheres my fcuking medal.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

According to the radio this morning with his O/T his earnings were over 75K, there has to be personal debt payments if they can't afford 1400 a month mortgage. It stinks of bullsh*t to me.
    As for the kid can't go to college, get a part time job/student loan, don't believe a bar of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Basic maths.... i dont know if gardai pay tax but i'll throw it in for the laugh anways.

65K a year minus 20% tax

52000 / 12

4333.3333333333 per month net pay

1083.33333333 per week pay
    Very very basic. When you factor in tax credits, PAYE, PRSI, USC, Public Sector Pension Levy and pension contributions you're probably looking at €65k turning into approx. €750-800 per week net. I'm not sure what pension contribution he'd be making and what taxation agreements exist for particular Garda allowances so I could be out by a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Sure for half the price of a box of cornflakes you can get some lovely noodles and veg in Aldi and do a stir fry

Obviously this bunch don't know how to do a proper weekly shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

firstly - repeated pay cuts? since when did gardai get repeated pay cuts? she fails to mention the 'repeated' pay increments.

Mortgage of 1400PM she fails to mention the Mortgage interest relief they are receiving.

Cant afford to send the eldest kid to college...this would indicate they are at least 18 years a family...go back 18 years if you bought a house you'd have got it for a snip and the mortgage would have 2 years remaining...sounds like they sold up or extended the equity to buy a newer fancier house or bought rental property(properties)

65k gross should net to about 3700-3800 PM assuming she's not working. lets say 3700 to be prudent, knock off mortgage of 1400 add back mortgage interest relief of 140, add back children's allowance (3 kids by 140) 420 so after mortgage commitment they're left with circa €2,860PM to feed themselves...Boohoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Wonder what the real figures are? I'm guessing its 65k basic + overtime + children's allowance + mortgage interest relief + I'd say he has all his wife's tax credits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Good to see that at least one thing is still alive and well and thriving in Ireland - an beal bocht!:):):)

• Advertisement

65k is gross not nett

Gob****es

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Dan133269 wrote: »
    All the tales from people suffering from the recession have evoked different reactions from me, but this story really tugged at my heart strings. A working Garda sergeant is unable to feed his family.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/1017/1224325341332.html

According to his wife:

Where's a secret millionaire when you need them? Obviously I'm being sarcastic. This kind of whingeing really sickens me. There are people who are genuinely struggling, and this family making at least 65k a year gross (no mention on whether she's working or not) are moaning that they can't put food on the table. How in the name of god are they managing their finances?

eastern europeans in this country snigger when they listen to the like of this and liveline. if you have a problem got off your hole and solve it. dont go bitching.

12vdc wrote: »
    65k is gross not nett
    No shít. I fail to see your point though.

Padraig Flynn should come back and say how hard he has it these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Padraig Flynn should come back and say how hard he has it these days.

But he had TWO houses! :D

What a burden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

It doesnt make sense to me...my mortgage is tipping 1400 now thanks to rate hikes...and we bought AFTER things went wallop.

I dont make anywhere near 65K a year and right now we're down to one salary and maternity benefit.

never missed a payment but we recently went interest only because there was a delay in getting the maternity and we were down a big chunk every month but we'll be back to normal payments in January.

If i had a 65K salary I'd be delighted.....

Tax? USC ? Pension levy? Prsi? Health insurance ?mortage? Food?
    65k? Get the fuc
    And do the maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

12vdc wrote: »
    Gob****es

Relax, this is not a Gardai bashing thread! This is a winging moaner thread. Most people respect the Gardai..........

Chill

The fact that someone with a €65k wage can be under financial pressuer is undeniable but its usual down to keeping up with the Jones and bad financial planning, people here are just calling them out.

PS, we have €75k gross between myself and the missus(and a young kid in creche), yet to survive in the last few years I quit smoking,drinking, gave up the gym membership(not too hard)-havent had sky for 3 years. Our only luxury is decent broadband, a holiday every now and again and paying our own way (bills) without expecting handouts or moaning!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Yes, it's a well known fact that all Gardai do not pay tax :rolleyes:

Although I do call bullshít on this :

A Garda Sergeant would not be paid weekly, it's either fortnightly or monthly. You Madam, are a liar!

Not to mention I've never seen ESB deducted from a payslip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

What a burden.

Two house and an Apartment in Brussels (If I remember correctly).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

hawkelady wrote: »

Are they? I thought only Public/Civil Servants on the lowest grade get paid weekly and once you're promoted it's fortnightly or monthly pay. Well ya learn something new everyday.

Although the Gubberment in their "infinite wisdom" want to move all Public/Civil Servants to monthly pay. A month a hell ahead if you had weekly/fortnightly direct debits etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Are they? I thought only Public/Civil Servants on the lowest grade get paid weekly and once you're promoted it's fortnightly or monthly pay. Well ya learn something new everyday.

Although the Gubberment in their "infinite wisdom" want to move all Public/Civil Servants to monthly pay. A month a hell ahead if you had weekly/fortnightly direct debits etc.

Im sure the unions would negotiate a extra bonus months pay to offset the sheer pain of this type of change, and the gubberment would likely agree, Unions + Gubberment = taxpayer bleeding dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Two house and an Apartment in Brussels (If I remember correctly).

you forgot the housekeepers lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I see you left this part out op

"By the Mabs analysis, however, the weekly household budget was running a deficit of nearly €300 and there appeared to be no means of reducing it."

I would have thought that was important.

Also when looking at an public service workers wages it's important to note that the pension levy was a pay cut which is still included in the gross figure so that should be taken into account when passing judgement.

What a burden.

and a flat in Brussels, employing several staff. now you try and do that on only, how much was again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8T0Q03oJSc

things have gotten so bad in this country that a lot of middle class people can no longer afford any coke.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

hawkelady wrote: »

Is their mortgage taken directly out of their pay though?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bumpitybump

There are weeks I can't put food on the table

Eat in front of the TV so...

Relax, this is not a Gardai bashing thread! This is a winging moaner thread. Most people respect the Gardai..........

Chill

The fact that someone with a €65k wage can be under financial pressuer is undeniable but its usual down to keeping up with the Jones and bad financial planning, people here are just calling them out.

PS, we have €75k gross between myself and the missus(and a young kid in creche), yet to survive in the last few years I quit smoking,drinking, gave up the gym membership(not too hard)-havent had sky for 3 years. Our only luxury is decent broadband, a holiday every now and again and paying our own way (bills) without expecting handouts or moaning!
    Cmere,
    It's ps bashing again
    65k?..?
    Wtf
    Diesel is 100 a week
    Food s 50
    I wish people on this site would stop trying to be liked and go along with the Rest of the sheep and see the what's really happening out there, 65k a year may sound lovely on paper but when the bank of Ireland machine keeps says insufficient funds when you just got paid, it's stinks of more ps bashing from the usual heroes,

• Advertisement

There is no way in hell this guy should be given special media treatment. Everything is relative and there's thousands of families struggling, a lot of them more than this guy.

He's a Garda? Who gives a fùck?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement