Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Garda Sergeant can't afford food

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

MagicSean wrote: »
    I see you left this part out op

"By the Mabs analysis, however, the weekly household budget was running a deficit of nearly €300 and there appeared to be no means of reducing it."

I would have thought that was important.

Also when looking at an public service workers wages it's important to note that the pension levy was a pay cut which is still included in the gross figure so that should be taken into account when passing judgement.

A €65k Gardai Sargeants wage would equate to around €3.5k per month in the hand. €1.4k to the mortgage, leaving over €2k to run a 4 bedroom house and feed the family......What are we not being told?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

kneemos wrote: »
    It could be a civil service can't afford pay cuts pre budget whinge

+1 on this....

Welcome to the world of union spin doctors. Creating a story out of nothing all for the benefit of its paid up members at the expense of everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I'll swap with him.

Mind you, his missus sounds like a a bit of a whinger. Is she good looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 12vdc

I see you left this part out op

"By the Mabs analysis, however, the weekly household budget was running a deficit of nearly €300 and there appeared to be no means of reducing it."

I would have thought that was important.

Also when looking at an public service workers wages it's important to note that the pension levy was a pay cut which is still included in the gross figure so that should be taken into account when passing judgement.

Ah somebody with a balanced approach at last

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I feel sorry for the poor Guard.............have ya seen the price of Doughnuts these days :eek:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

floggg wrote: »
    Not to mention I've never seen ESB deducted from a payslip.

BTW is the sergeant's wife working?
    maybe she should.

smash wrote: »
    There is no way in hell this guy should be given special media treatment. Everything is relative and there's thousands of families struggling, a lot of them more than this guy.

He's a Garda? Who gives a fùck?

Can you read?... Seriously?
    It was his WIFE! For Fuchs sake

I feel sorry for the poor Guard.............have ya seen the price of Doughnuts these days :eek:

dunnes those a good deal on them. four for a euro or something like that. they proabably have their own donut maker at the station

A €65k Gardai Sargeants wage would equate to around €3.5k per month in the hand. €1.4k to the mortgage, leaving over €2k to run a 4 bedroom house and feed the family......What are we not being told?

Duh I dunno ? Another genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

12vdc wrote: »

Can you read?... Seriously?
    It was his WIFE! For Fuchs sake
    But if he wasn't a guard the story wouldn't have run!

• Advertisement

Tazz T wrote: »
    I'll swap with him.

Mind you, his missus sounds like a a bit of a whinger. Is she good looking?

a kept woman by the sounds of things.

was the story in all the papers? i can across it in the times and 65 K for many of its readers would be minimum wage.

The letter – unsigned to protect her husband’s identity – was written after a Mabs (Money Advice and Budgeting Service) adviser had offered to refer the couple to the St Vincent de Paul Society for assistance.

Her husband has gross earnings of more than €65,000 – including allowances and unsocial hours coverage. After tax, Universal Social Charge, pension, health insurance, mortgage and utility deductions, a typical weekly payslip shows a net payment of €109.

By the Mabs analysis, however, the weekly household budget was running a deficit of nearly €300 and there appeared to be no means of reducing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,271 ✭✭✭✭K-9

They should still have a net income of over 40k a year after all tax and levy deductions, mortgage leaves 25k, must be some bills to only have 5k a year to spend.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭blue note

hope the criminals take note, garda openly admits financial problems, if the movies i watch are anything to go by they should be getting this guy to work for them on the side for extra money. :cool:

If the movies I watch are anything to go by things are about to get very sexy!

On the case itself, there's obviously high costs we're not being told about. They could be medical bills or something in which case they have my sympathies. If they are holidays or car loans or golf and gym membership they need to cop the fuc on!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,467 ✭✭✭✭unkel

the garda is clearly spending his money on hookers and drugs.

Hookers and drugs are expensive!

Gerry Ryan couldn't cope on €30,000 net per month. How can the poor Sergeant cope on €65,000 gross per year? :(

K-9 wrote: »
    They should still have a net income of over 40k a year after all tax and levy deductions, mortgage leaves 25k, must be some bills to only have 5k a year to spend.

The average Garda has to work away from home usually 40 miles
    Diesel costs 100 a week multiply that by 52 and there's ur 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Priorities all wrong as usual. If you can't put food on the table for your kids then it's your mortgage you can't afford, not food

unkel wrote: »
    Hookers and drugs are expensive!

Gerry Ryan couldn't cope on €30,000 net per month. How can the poor Sergeant cope on €65,000 gross per year? :(

Slandering the dead nice!
    Handy reporting mechanism here though

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

The average Garda has to work away from home usually 40 miles
    Diesel costs 100 a week multiply that by 52 and there's ur 5k

According to the radio wages were upto 75k due to overtime so that difference would cover diesel. There is obviously more to this story than is being publised, they must have personal debt excluding their mortgage that is not being reported.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

marketty wrote: »
    Priorities all wrong as usual. If you can't put food on the table for your kids then it's your mortgage you can't afford, not food

They have health insurance get rid of that first, that's what most people have done. If they are that stuck take in students, I have a friend with 4 kids this is what they have done to supplement husbands wages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

giftgrub wrote: »
    It doesnt make sense to me...my mortgage is tipping 1400 now thanks to rate hikes...and we bought AFTER things went wallop.

I dont make anywhere near 65K a year and right now we're down to one salary and maternity benefit.

never missed a payment but we recently went interest only because there was a delay in getting the maternity and we were down a big chunk every month but we'll be back to normal payments in January.

If i had a 65K salary I'd be delighted.....

It says in the IT article that their gross income is actually €75k - not sure if it includes child allowance or not.

Wondering how much was the house if they paid €36k stamp duty in 2005?

pc7 wrote: »
    According to the radio wages were upto 75k due to overtime so that difference would cover diesel. There is obviously more to this story than is being publised, they must have personal debt excluding their mortgage that is not being reported.

If any one here has gone through mabs they will know how forensically competent they are in sifting through the bs
    EVERY cent you get in and every red cent you owe is accounted for
    A mabs spokesperson has confirmed that this family are broke
    What's the difficulty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

The 65k includes all allowances and I presume overtime too. After the pension levy that leaves 60k. After taxes that leaves about 36k, which is about 3000 per month. Less the mortgage that's 1600k per month. Electricity and gas for a family of four about 250 a month. That's 1150 he now takes in per month or just under 300 per week. Another factor to consider is that newly promoted sergeants are often sent to stations far away so travel costs would be high. He's probably looking at fuel costs of up to 80 a week. Which leaves 200 a week for all the other household bills and costs. Take away the cost of medical aid which is a necessity in his line of work and he is bringing in less money per week than he would be on the dole.

It's not really hard to see where the money goes to be honest.

A mabs spokesperson has confirmed that this family are broke
    What's the difficulty?

My difficulty is that I don't believe we are getting the full picture, there has to be personal debts or expenses outside of what we are being told (that MABs know). So the poor mouth is very hard to take. I don't know if you are a guard and that is why you seem to be taking this so personnally. I don't care if the guy is a guard or a lollypop lady, a family with a mortgage of 1400 a month on approx 75k a year (including ot) plus childrens allowance should not be in such a poor position if that is their only outgoing.

The 65k includes all allowances and I presume overtime too. After the pension levy that leaves 60k. After taxes that leaves about 36k, which is about 3000 per month. Less the mortgage that's 1600k per month. Electricity and gas for a family of four about 250 a month. That's 1150 he now takes in per month or just under 300 per week. Another factor to consider is that newly promoted sergeants are often sent to stations far away so travel costs would be high. He's probably looking at fuel costs of up to 80 a week. Which leaves 200 a week for all the other household bills and costs. Take away the cost of medical aid which is a necessity in his line of work and he is bringing in less money per week than he would be on the dole.

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 23,131 ✭✭✭✭ted1

your fogettinn to allow for 250 Mortgage ineterst relief

pc7 wrote: »
    My difficulty is that I don't believe we are getting the full picture, there has to be personal debts or expenses outside of what we are being told (that MABs know). So the poor mouth is very hard to take. I don't know if you are a guard and that is why you seem to be taking this so personnally. I don't care if the guy is a guard or a lollypop lady, a family with a mortgage of 1400 a month on approx 75k a year (including ot) plus childrens allowance should not be in such a poor position if that is their only outgoing.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.
    Take it for wha it is
    It's happening

ted1 wrote: »

Wherein article does it say they get mortage relief?

ted1 wrote: »

They are also forgetting the 10k overtime that is on top of the 65k according to the radio reports this morning, add on childrens allowance too for 4 kids. I would bet my cornflakes this morning that there is personal debt outside of the mortgage. Mabs have the full picture we dont.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1017/1224325338822.html?via=rel
    Now, after computing the household figures, the Mabs adviser was focusing on the mortgage of nearly €1,400 a month. Unless Colm started selling impounded drugs, she joked, they would have to seek help from St Vincent de Paul. She would be happy to refer them. In her long, neat columns of income and outgoings, the family’s “available income” per week came to minus €286.36. The mortgage is over the next 25 years and her husband is over 50, Jean wrote.
    After six years’ service as a sergeant, the basic salary before allowances is €51,084 but clearly, their day-to-day living expenses have come to depend on the allowances and child benefit. Not featured in the payslip is a payment of €500 a month, after tax, to cover unsocial hours. For Colm, this is compensation for six consecutive nights a month of 10-hour duty, plus Saturday and Sunday work.

After all deductions, he is left with about €109.22 net on his weekly payslip to cover all other costs. Their great fear now is of losing any of those allowances, which Jean describes as a lifeline. If the rent allowance was cut, for example, he would be left with about €30 on his payslip in an average week to cover essential outgoings.

The picture painted by the Mabs adviser is not quite as cheerful. She calculated the family’s net pay and child benefit total at €807.37. After totting up the mortgage payment and items such as fuel, food, clothing and footwear, education/medical/ transport, bin charges etc, she saw no way of getting their outgoings below €1,100 a week.
    I find it hard to believe that a Mabs adviser would simply lie about their financial state, so I guess they really are in trouble.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement