Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken & Amlin Cup 2012/13 General Discussion

Options
  • 07-10-2012 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Surprised there is not a thread already with it kicking off next weekend.

Heineken Cup Pools
    • Pool One: Munster, Edinburgh, Saracens, Racing Metro 92
    • Pool Two: Toulouse, Leicester, Ospreys, Benetton Treviso
    • Pool Three: Biarritz, Harlequins, Connacht, Zebre
    • Pool Four: Northampton, Ulster, Glasgow Warriors, Castres
    • Pool Five: Leinster, Clermont Auvergne, Scarlets, Exeter
    • Pool Six: Cardiff Blues, Toulon, Sale, Montpellier

Who will win? 285 votes

Harlequins
    0%
    Leicester Tigers
    2%
    puntosportingapplehunterpappyodanielleedsladpetebricquettedropping_bombs 6 votes
    Saracens
    0%
    jack01986supra300 2 votes
    Northampton Saints
    0%
    Silver-TigerBeardySi 2 votes
    Exeter Chiefs
    0%
    Sale Sharks
    0%
    Toulouse
    0%
    Toulon
    0%
    TskTskvienne86 2 votes
    Clermont Auvergne
    7%
    FeederjprenderAmiranitbmconormccarthy92thomond2006danthefanjohn kinsellaBoarHunterray jayroyconGambasliammurdebarra156totallegendjamiedav2011cgpg5eire_ladnudgerDazzler0911 20 votes
    Castre
    42%
    TrojanRobboSerbian[Deleted User]SuprSiBig Nellyrrpc68 lost soulsmelekalikimakarebevemsmx5Dave_The_Sheepfguinanfrankie2shoeseyeball kidB0Xrazorbluntartvandelay48P_1Riskymove 120 votes
    Biarritz
    0%
    Montpellier
    0%
    Racing Métro
    0%
    Leinster
    0%
    BobbyPropane 1 vote
    Munster
    14%
    [Jackass]tolosencMorfchris85dmapreludeironingboredBlairmaddnessirishbucsfanCIARAN_BOYLEcircosiDaveLEINHoney-ecNU8rockbeastslippy wicketerrlloyddecisionsUriel. 42 votes
    Ulster
    9%
    murphym7omega666DDC1990TockmanCZ 453Judgement DayMicky DolenzwillitMikeCork2009clint_eastmanTomtom364LandoflemonDerTierarztbennyl10Rebelkelld1980ormond ladTimfyhoodwinkedRoutineBites 28 votes
    Connacht
    16%
    dreginefbThetaBrian017PhoneheadManAboutCouchcee_jayconnemara mannordydanniallonBrewstersiochainduckysaucearodabombsydthebeatfingerbobawecsiltirockermfceilingIron Hide 48 votes
    Ospreys
    2%
    [Deleted User]shortys94HankScorpio1985freynersMadworldcityman 18Hears6MichaelGUFC 8 votes
    Scarlets
    1%
    John_CDunder Mifflinthebull09 3 votes
    Cardiff Blues
    0%
    Treviso
    0%
    Atari Zebre
    0%
    Glasgow Warriors
    1%
    blackdog2Duckworth_LuasFishooks12 3 votes
    Edinburgh
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Glasgow Warriors
    decisions wrote: »
    Surprised there is not a thread already with it kicking off next weekend.

Heineken Cup Pools
    • Pool One: Munster, Edinburgh, Saracens, Racing Metro 92
    • Pool Two: Toulouse, Leicester, Ospreys, Benetton Treviso
    • Pool Three: Biarritz, Harlequins, Connacht, Zebre
    • Pool Four: Northampton, Ulster, Glasgow Warriors, Castres
    • Pool Five: Leinster, Clermont Auvergne, Scarlets, Exeter
    • Pool Six: Cardiff Blues, Toulon, Sale, Montpellier

Predictions

Pool 1: Munster and Saracens
    Pool 2: Toulouse and Leicester
    Pool 3: Quins
    Pool 4: Ulster
    Pool 5: Clermont :eek::eek:
    Pool 6: Toulon (Sale might pull a surprise)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Hard to imagine a team going for 3 in 4 not even getting out of their group, but it's a very real possibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Glasgow Warriors
    Tox56 wrote: »
    Hard to imagine a team going for 3 in 4 not even getting out of their group, but it's a very real possibility

I think they'd get out of any other group with ease. Just a bad draw especially considering Leinster's injuries

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Clermont Auvergne
    Tox56 wrote: »

Leinster have won 3 in 4. They're going for 4 in 5.

The group will hinge on the Leinster injuries. The squad as it is will be beaten out the gate by Clermont. If the majority of the squad can be fit by December then who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Kinda snook up on us. Excited/nervous now.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

danthefan wrote: »
    Leinster have won 3 in 4. They're going for 4 in 5.

Wow, that would be something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I think they'd get out of any other group with ease. Just a bad draw especially considering Leinster's injuries

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong

I think the crucial game for Leinster will be in Llanelli. Win there and I think they'll win the group. The injuries clear up significantly over November and they'll be primed for the showdown with Clermont. They should come out of that double header in better shape over the two matches. Clermont are pretty awful on the road in Europe.

Win in Llanelli and we're in good shape (if we beat Exeter obviously). It's going to be tricky to get through that game with all the injury problems. The back line is fairly decimated and their back line is fairly lethal. If they manage to get some decent ball to the backs, we could be in real trouble.

I think Clermont could well lose one of their games in Exeter or Llanelli. In any season, have never won more than 1 game on the road in the pool stages in the Heineken Cup. I can see the teams being very pumped up for their visit and giving them problems. They'll face Exeter in Devon on a Saturday night for Exeter making their HEC home debut in the prime TV slot. Sandy Park will be absolutely heaving that night. Glad we get Exeter at home first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Munster
    I don't think we have 4 in 5 in us tbh but it would be some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Ospreys
    Connacht need to win both games v zebre at minimum this year, couple that with nicking a win v biarritz or quins (like last year) and Ill be a happy bunny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Munster
    I thing Connacht have at the very least 3 wins in them this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Connacht
    I threw €10 on Ulster at 25/1 to win it.

I think that's an outrageously good price for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Castre
    Once again Serge Blanco's Biarritz get the group of death....

really hope Connacht beat them in the sportsground.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Truthfully I'd say pool 4 and 6 are more likely to have 2 go through then pool 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Clermont Auvergne
    Truthfully I'd say pool 4 and 6 are more likely to have 2 go through then pool 1

Who would you fancy from pool 6? As sh*te as Sale are, they will probably win both home games against the French, can't see Cardiff getting any wins in France, Toulon and MP will probably take points off each other. That's a lot of dropped points for two teams to get through...

I would expect the best runners-up to come from the group where teams 1 & 2 are significantly better than 3 & 4. For me, that's pool 3 (Biarritz and Quins to emerge) and 4 (Ulster and Saints).

That means Leinster and Munster will each need to come out on top in their December head-to-head games. I'm cacking it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Castre

I think Glasgow might nick a win against either Ulster or Northampton at home which might rule out the two team theory from Pool 4. As for Castres who knows. I'm just glad Ulster play them away from home in round 6 as they're likely to be dis-interested by that stage.

As for the other Irish sides...Munster should come through Pool 1, Sarries away (is it at Wembley?) Edinburgh will hardly repeat last year, Racing are beatable and if Munster keep their discipline against Saracens then Owen Farrell won't be able to kick Saracens to victory.

Leinster and Clermont will both qualify with 5 wins. The big games come at Parc Y Scarlet. The rest nshould go to form, it's who gets the home Q/F that will be interesting.

I wouldn't be shocked if Connacht finished on 4 wins and got into the Amlin. They'll need a bit of luck but if they do beat Quins and Biarritz at home and get 10 points against Zebre then flip they might even be in contention for the Q/Fs of the HEC.

Who would you fancy from pool 6?

Truthfully none of them but if any teams give it there all they could easily do it so I'd say toulon and sale could come out of it as I don't think Cardiff will be a force this season
    bilston wrote: »
    Edinburgh will hardly repeat last year

I'd say they have at least one or 2 upsets in them though

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Munster
    Truthfully none of them but if any teams give it there all they could easily do it so I'd say toulon and sale could come out of it as I don't think Cardiff will be a force this season

Sale?!

Have you seen what they've been like this season?

Sale?!

ye but I think pool 6 could easily come down to non bad you are as oppose to how good you and so it's the group that could easily provide a wildcard

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Munster
    Sale?!

ye but I think pool 6 could easily come down to non bad you are as oppose to how good you and so it's the group that could easily provide a wildcard
    If it comes down to how bad you are then Sale would be bottom, based on this season so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Clermont Auvergne
    BTW, there was a HEC 'supplement' in the Sunday Times yesterday; Stephen Jones is tipping Leinster to make it three in a row. Kiss of death there so.

Also, there was an interview with James Downey which said he is one of only three people to represent three provinces; that's surely wrong? Off the top of my head, I can name Cronin, Reddan and John Fogarty - any more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Castre
    BTW, there was a HEC 'supplement' in the Sunday Times yesterday; Stephen Jones is tipping Leinster to make it three in a row. Kiss of death there so.

Also, there was an interview with James Downey which said he is one of only three people to represent three provinces; that's surely wrong? Off the top of my head, I can name Cronin, Reddan and John Fogarty - any more?

Cillian Willis for sure and didn't Ronan McCormack spend a year or two at Connacht? I know he was Ulster and obviously Leinster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Castre
    Sean Cronin has played for Munster, Connacht and Leinster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Castre

i read that interview, there was some badly worded line suggesting Downey was the only man sacked by Connacht to go on and play in a HC final

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

And there was a good H Cup magazine in Saturdays Examiner. Lots of Donal Lenihan articles and interviews and a run down on each team.

Has the Irish Times done a H cup supplement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Castre
    Lads anyone know if there's a Heineken Cup Fantasy Rugby site?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,027 ✭✭✭✭phog

Quinny is back on the Irish Times tomorrow looking ahead to the first round of the H/cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Ulster
    phog wrote: »
    Quinny is back on the Irish Times tomorrow looking ahead to the first round of the H/cup
    His article is now up online
    www.irishtimes.com/newspaper......1224325094083

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Castre
    ormond lad wrote: »

This?

Fairly poor article imo. Does anyone else not give a flying **** about what the aviva premiership does? I'll pay attention once they actually pull out. All this talk tires me

• Registered Users Posts: 24,027 ✭✭✭✭phog

Grimebox wrote: »
    This?

Fairly poor article imo. Does anyone else not give a flying **** about what the aviva premiership does? I'll pay attention once they actually pull out. All this talk tires me

Have a look here, over 30k views and nearly 800 posts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

"But if you follow that argument through to the end, it will obviously mean fewer Scottish and Italian clubs playing in the Heineken Cup, which will mean the competitiveness of their international teams will inevitably suffer."

Half of Scotland's RWC squad now play outside Scotland, Italy have had teams in the HEC for years with no real improvement, if anything they regressed for a period. The Rabo has helped a lot I think.

It will be interesting to see what Quinny does. The first season he started as a pundit, while he was still playing, I thought he'd nothing to offer. Last season he had some interesting enough points and could offer insight to his Munster days. That (talking about Munster when he played for them) won't last too long this season though as people will tire of it.

Advertisement