Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender issues in After Hours - Your feedback requested.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It would seem that an assault on a woman is worse than an assault on a man, according to some posts.

I think that is a sexist view that hasn't really been challenged, just thought I'd highlight it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It would seem that an assault on a woman is worse than an assault on a man, according to some posts.

I think that is a sexist view that hasn't really been challenged, just thought I'd highlight it

Can you show us some of these posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,912 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Have you any examples?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

In what way? If you're on about sexual assault then I'd wager it's more common towards women and I can understand why it would been seen as "worse". If you mean violent thing like a beaten then I've seen people disgusted at the attacker, regardless of gender.
    Other than that, I'm not sure what you mean.

But yes, as asked, examples would be nice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Great to see nonsense like this quickly dealt with:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056757835

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

yup. a 5 minute trunaround from train wreck initiation to meltdown avoidance is a great response time for any forum on boards and better than any other forum I've been a member of in the past.

just wait until were perfect the KINOIP* system. that'll put an end to it once and for all.

*kinoip (kick in nads over IP) patent pending....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Quorum wrote: »
    Great to see nonsense like this quickly dealt with:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056757835

Good call there but I have to say it bugs the shit out of me the way whoopsadaisydoodles locks threads she sees as casting women in a negative light without explanation.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056758267

Pretty benign stuff from a user that's been around a fair while. It happened before but I've no way to search for thread locked by a certain mod.

EDIT: I'm not saying it was the wrong call but it just shows a little respect for the posters to give an explanation.

humbert wrote: »
    Good call there but I have to say it bugs the shit out of me the way whoopsadaisydoodles locks threads she sees as casting women in a negative light without explanation.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056758267

Pretty benign stuff from a user that's been around a fair while. It happened before but I've no way to search for thread locked by a certain mod.

EDIT: I'm not saying it was the wrong call but it just shows a little respect for the posters to give an explanation.

You don't need to give an explanation. And I can tell you why it was locked, because it was another "women are stupid" bull from someone acting like a dicktit (I like that one, thanks Millie).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Respect posters right to be misogynists???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

omeone acting like a dicktit (I like that one, thanks Millie).
    *ahem* Dicktit(c) Wibbs (tm)
    :mad::D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Wibbs wrote: »

A new suggestion for websters perhaps? :D

Wibbs wrote: »

I thought it was Millie that said it...
    Well look who's the dicktit now! (me) :pac:

why do I have a Peter Gabriel song in my head now?

might as well face it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Surely a Dicktit song would be more appropriate?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You don't need to give an explanation. And I can tell you why it was locked, because it was another "women are stupid" bull from someone acting like a dicktit (I like that one, thanks Millie).

The whole idea behind this, was to make AH approachable for new users. Wasn't it?

Granted this is mainly happening with people who have posted more regularly on AH, but how is a new user meant to know what "Infractions will follow" or "Sigh" refer to?

Regular users may tire of those threads. Mods may even be exhausted from seeing them a lot. A new user is not going to know of that history.

The whole idea behind this, was to make AH approachable for new users. Wasn't it?

Granted this is mainly happening with people who have posted more regularly on AH, but how is a new user meant to know what "Infractions will follow" or "Sigh" refer to?

Regular users may tire of those threads. Mods may even be exhausted from seeing them a lot. A new user is not going to know of that history.

He's been here since 2006.
    Sigh is an obvious one for people who speak English.
    And infractions are explained in the FAQ/newbie forum you got told about when you registered, no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

He's been here since 2006.

That guy isn't relevant. It's the person who hasn't or will just of registered that is relevant.
    Sigh is an obvious one for people who speak English.

Yes, it means 1 of 2 things:

- I'm tired of this
    - I'm not bothered to deal with this

Neither are final comments that deal with the matter with any clarity.
    And infractions are explained in the FAQ/newbie forum you got told about when you registered, no?
    That doesn't really excuse the lack of detail when closing a thread. If there's going to be final commentary, it's little or no use without clarity. Particularly when this whole thing is on the back of an issue driven by making AH more approachable. The mods then will also need to be seen to act in somewhat of a responsible and clear manner.

Oh, sorry. I thought you meant the OP was a new user. In that case a newbie is confused they just PM a mod or ask on the newbie forum. Plenty of off topic questions on the newbie forum and they get told where to go to get help.
    I'm sure something as simple as "oh it's against the rules, read the charter; but if you're unsure just PM the mod" isn't that hard to understand.

It's not even about a lack of detail. Let's say I just signed up. I know that sexism is against the rules in AH (and site wide, I think).
    I see a thread about how women's logic is wrong and it's locked.
    I think it's safe to say that with the exception of someone very new to forums that it's obvious it was breaking the rules.

It can also mean "sigh, you should know not to do this".
    There doesn't need to be a great detailed explanation. At least not if you realize you're actually mean to read the charters and have the common sense to understand that moaning about women's logic isn't really a good idea.

If they use nonsense remarks as closing comments for an issue they thought was serious, they aren't really showing it to be as serious as it's considered. If the mods want to change the perception, they need to carry it as well. That's all I'm saying and I recon it's the same for the other guy who questioned the closing comments earlier.

Fair point Drav.

• Advertisement

If they use nonsense remarks as closing comments for an issue they thought was serious, they aren't really showing it to be as serious as it's considered. If the mods want to change the perception, they need to carry it as well. That's all I'm saying and I recon it's the same for the other guy who questioned the closing comments earlier.

Okay, look at it from this point of view: yore ma.
    I say that once, not annoying.
    It gets said repeatedly. We're sick of it so it gets added to the "don't say list".

It's the same with idiotic comments about women having different logic and other stuff. It's not as if a user can't see it and PM the mod in question

Nah, he is right BD.

If someone (other than the OP) doesn't know why it's closed, they won't understand why the can't start a similar thread. We can use it to educate newer users.

It's a good point and I'll take it on board.

Nah, he is right BD.

If someone (other than the OP) doesn't know why it's closed, they won't understand why the can't start a similar thread. We can use it to educate newer users.

It's a good point and I'll take it on board.

Yeah but surely the point of reading the charter comes into question?
    I get that I (and a good few others) know off hand from the whole debacle and debate that it's being clamped on more regularly but wasn't it added to the charter?

Yeh so at very least we can refer them to the charter where relevant :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd just like to point out that Robert Palmer sang Addicted to Love.

I wouldnt mind but I actually initially thought "peter gabriel" and then looked it up to make sure, saw it was Robert Palmer and then went and typed peter gabriel anyway....

Sexism against men is ‘fun’, and ‘light-hearted’ …whilst sexism against women is considered misogynistic and politically incorrect.

It is perfectly acceptable to make general slurs about men that could never be made about an ethnic group and certainly not about women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Sexism against men is ‘fun’, and ‘light-hearted’ …whilst sexism against women is considered misogynistic and politically incorrect.

It is perfectly acceptable to make general slurs about men that could never be made about an ethnic group and certainly not about women.

Have you any examples on boards? Did you report them?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,912 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Daveysil15 wrote: »

What are you talking about? links maybe?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    Have you any examples on boards? Did you report them?

I don’t think it would make much difference. Unlike sexist comments about women, misandrous comments seem to be applauded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement