Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender issues in After Hours - Your feedback requested.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Surely that chloroform comment is aimed against men if anything, since one of the two posts quoted mentions sailors which I would presume are male?

If you take offence to a comment like that it's similar to being offended by a joke that someone like Frankie Boyle would regularly make.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

flyswatter wrote: »
    Surely that chloroform comment is aimed against men if anything, since one of the two posts quoted mentions sailors which I would presume are male?

If you take offence to a comment like that it's similar to being offended by a joke that someone like Frankie Boyle would regularly make.

Is it okay to joke about raping men?

How hard is it to not be a dick to men?

etc etc

Bambi wrote: »
    Is it okay to joke about raping men?

How hard is it to not be a dick to men?

etc etc

No, of course not as I stated in my post about double standards earlier.

Just thought I'd point that out as the thread generally relates to the other sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Don't think there's any major issues involving sexism, some people just overreact and are oversensitive. Don't see what this thread is going to achieve.

Oh btw, there were a few threads about fathers rights, and some female posters objected to equal rights, how the hell would a thread like that work? Anyone who disagrees is clearly sexist :S

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Don't think there's any major issues involving sexism, some people just overreact and are oversensitive. Don't see what this thread is going to achieve.

No they're not. There have been a fair few reasoned posts in here as to why people find certain posts offensive. Calling people oversensitive is needlessly dismissive.
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    Oh btw, there were a few threads about fathers rights, and some female posters objected to equal rights, how the hell would a thread like that work? Anyone who disagrees is clearly sexist :S

Those people are dicktits, and what's more, they're sexist dicktits. Just because it's a woman saying a man doesn't deserve equal rights to his child, doesn't make it not sexist. It is horribly and blatantly so. I have seen a few women on fathers' rights threads with those views. They tend to get, quite rightly, smacked down fairly quickly by male and female posters. It's not acceptable from either gender to malign the opposite sex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If this post got a warning because of a supposed contravention re: gender stereotyping, it is utterly ridiculous:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80451462&postcount=3

And I'm hardly one to condone sexism or misogyny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

anncoates wrote: »
    If this post got a warning because of a supposed contravention re: gender stereotyping, it is utterly ridiculous:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80451462&postcount=3

And I'm hardly one to condone sexism or misogyny.

....to be honest, I don't even get it.....Bit "left field".

Nodin wrote: »

As far as I can see it's a pretty tame joke about a Lion going round humping women before it's caught.

I see the reason given for the yellow card is "N/A", would be interested to actually hear the reason given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Nodin wrote: »

I assume it's a joke about the stereotypical; Essex girls and lads thing: drinking and shagging a lot.

Hardly up there with the Sexism Greatest Hits, especially for AH.

Maybe I'm just old.....old and grey....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Kinda like jokes about Essex girls tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 flirtychat

Why is flirting still allowed happen in threads. One or two posters in particular. Get rid of it or them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

flirtychat wrote: »
    Why is flirting still allowed happen in threads. One or two posters in particular. Get rid of it or them.

Its not.

Who are you a re reg of?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,912 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Examples or gtfo

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

What the hell has that to do with "gender issues in AH"
    Super-Rush wrote: »
    Who are you a re reg of?
    Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Examples or gtfo

I know this is off topic but I've always been confused about whats considered "flirting" on boards (and why the hell anybody would bother too do it!),

Like is this (from thread I was literally just reading, not meaning to use mauzo in all my examples :o ) but is this 'flirting' or just banter?
    mauzo wrote: »
    Worked before :)
    Giselle wrote: »
    And posting that on this forum is a perfect way of going about getting it. ;)
    mauzo wrote: »
    I want sex.
    Your my kind of woman. ;)

edit: mods delete this if its going to make the thread go on a detour

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I think (could be and probably am wrong) the flirting to me is when it carries on.
    I mean if we had a topic about "last time getting hammered with photos!" and some woman posts a photos and a few of us lads say "ah go on ya beaut", that's not really flirting.

But when the banter/off-topic/flirting goes and takes up a whole topic it can be a bit annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I know this is off topic but I've always been confused about whats considered "flirting" on boards (and why the hell anybody would bother too do it!),

Like is this (from thread I was literally just reading, not meaning to use mauzo in all my examples :o ) but is this 'flirting' or just banter?

I don't know why I was quoted in the middle of that (and chronologically the wrong way round), when my post was trying to make the point that saying the like of 'I want sex' in AH is a transparent way of bringing a storm of attention to yourself. Maybe I should have been less oblique.

Some posters are one-trick-ponies in this regard, and it gets old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Giselle wrote: »
    I don't know why I was quoted in the middle of that (and chronologically the wrong way round), when my post was trying to make the point that saying the like of 'I want sex' in AH is a transparent way of bringing a storm of attention to yourself. Maybe I should have been less oblique.

Some posters are one-trick-ponies in this regard, and it gets old.

Apologies for that, in a much less sleep deprived state your post makes perfect sense in that regard. I think I got confused by the smiley, for some reason that wink looks very cheeky too me where as I associate the :rolleyes: with the put downs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

There is nothing wrong with flirting just don't do it in AH. Time and place.

9/10 times it will be pulled up by a mod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Apologies for that, in a much less sleep deprived state your post makes perfect sense in that regard. I think I got confused by the smiley, for some reason that wink looks very cheeky too me where as I associate the :rolleyes: with the put downs etc.

It's rare I can bring myself to use that rolleyes fella. Hate him!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

There is nothing wrong with flirting just don't do it in AH. Time and place.

9/10 times you will be pulled by a mod.

Fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

The thing with thread flirting is that it gets tedious very quickly for anyone not directly involved in said flirting - so, pretty much everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,912 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Quorum wrote: »
    The thing with thread flirting is that it gets tedious very quickly for anyone not directly involved in said flirting - so, pretty much everyone.

OK but that has nothing to do with this thread

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

OK but that has nothing to do with this thread

Just thought I'd add that. It's another good reason for flirting not to happen.

Thread killer. Sorry. :o

Quorum wrote: »
    Thread killer. Sorry. :o

You should have blamed the flirting on the wimminz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

A soon as a pedophile is mentioned, it's presumed to be a male....sexist?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056744592

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Boombastic wrote: »

Not really. Prejudiced, yes, but not bigoted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

This (and the subsequent posts by that individual) is the likes of what should be focused on IMO - not necessarily a reprimand but at least a request that such statements be supported. Oh and if calling the above stuff bitter is misandric... gtfo. It's bitter because it's bitter, not because it's written by a man. If a woman wrote similar stuff about men, it would also be bitter.
    It certainly should not be good-natured "Get back to the kitchen" type comments that get focused on IMO, which are only jokes - and vigilant policing of the likes of them is only going to create more bad feeling and work as ammunition for the "Women have it better derp" brigade.
    Boombastic wrote: »

Usually when a doctor or president is mentioned, it's assumed they're male; nurse, teacher - female (I include myself among those who make such assumptions) - sexist?
    It's just what we're used to - doesn't make it right but it's hardly intended to cause offence. Vast majority of known paedos are male, that's the reason why the default occurs. And you know that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement