Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science TR071

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

I'm thinking of doing Chemistry even though I didn't do it for the LC, is anyone heading in to Trinity on Monday to do the Chemistry course for the week? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Knock0ut

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing Chemistry even though I didn't do it for the LC, is anyone heading in to Trinity on Monday to do the Chemistry course for the week? :)

Yep! Same as you, haven't done chemistry before either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Don't worry about not having done Chemistry. I didnt do it for the LC either and the 2 chemistry modules ended up being among my highest marks in 1st year. Its a bit scary at first but just find a book that suits you and go to the lectures and you'll be fine. Plus, a good few people I spoke to that had done chemistry for the LC said that they felt the playing field was level quite quickly into the course.

When I was in 1st year, there were also basic chemistry tutorials every week for people who hadn't done/were struggling with chemistry. I found these absolutely brilliant, so look out for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

I'd agree with Jammy, if anything I actually think it's a little better to have not studied it. Many of the things on the L.C chemistry course are irrelevant, mainly on the organic side of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Irish_wolf

NeuroCat wrote: »
    I'd agree with Jammy, if anything I actually think it's a little better to have not studied it. Many of the things on the L.C chemistry course are irrelevant, mainly on the organic side of things!

Yup got a B2 in chemistry in the LC, barely passed chem 2 in first year. My chemistry teacher in the LC was woeful, taught us completely arseways. Sometimes a fresh view is better for chemistry, and the lecturers are mostly sound and will help you through the course material after the classes if you go up and talk to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jimy1982

Hi Im starting science in Trinity in a few weeks , I was just wondering what books would be helpful, so far I have heard of Campbell and Reece for biology. But any other suggestions , I most likely will be taking biology, geography, maths methods and geology. I understand a lot will be from the lecturers own printed notes but I would really like to have my own books as back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

jimy1982 wrote: »
    Hi Im starting science in Trinity in a few weeks , I was just wondering what books would be helpful, so far I have heard of Campbell and Reece for biology. But any other suggestions , I most likely will be taking biology, geography, maths methods and geology. I understand a lot will be from the lecturers own printed notes but I would really like to have my own books as back up.

Geography: Introduction to Physical Geography was good, worked well for some parts of Geology also. If it's the same lecturers this year again, only 2 had online notes (1 lecturer's slides were mainly pictures) and the main lecturer didn't have any online notes so you'll have to transcribe the lectures

Geology: Earth (the Chernicoff, Fox, Tanner one) was pretty good too, but if you have the same lecturer for this year then his notes will get you a decent grade without the book

Both books can be gotten from the library with no hassle aside from exam times and when essays are due

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Don't bother with a maths method book, the module is only one semester long and the Khan Academy videos are a lot better than a textbook anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Glitter_star94

If i've choosen which modules I want to do, do i have to tell trinity or something like that, or do i wait until freshers? And how do i know what books to get?

If i've choosen which modules I want to do, do i have to tell trinity or something like that, or do i wait until freshers? And how do i know what books to get?

I believe you'll have a module choice meeting with one of the lecturers in the first week, you should receive an email about it when you get your account. They will discuss the choices with you and make sure you know what you want to do then you hand in the form they give you.

You'll be told the books needed in the first lectures of each module.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

On Monday of Freshers week there'll be module registration. You'll have a talk in the morning from all the departments about what each choice is about, what moderatorships you can do with with that choice etc. then afterwards you'll go to the science course office and be given some forms and course booklet. You can chose to fill out the forms, hand them in and leave, or you can talk to a lecturer first. There'll be some students -like myself- around helping out on the day, so you can ask us questions as well.

You don't have to get any books, they're all in the library. Lecturers usually suggest some in the first lecture, if you post your module choices here someone could probably tell you what the recommended textbook is, but again its not necessary to have textbooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

Knock0ut wrote: »
    Yep! Same as you, haven't done chemistry before either.

Cyas there lads! Absolutely bricking it =/

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

How hard is the maths module? Not sure whether to do it or just do maths methods and then do foundation physics... I'm fairly good at maths, got a B in higher level for the LC- but I'm not sure if I'd be willing to put a LOT of work into it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SharpBerry

How hard is the maths module? Not sure whether to do it or just do maths methods and then do foundation physics... I'm fairly good at maths, got a B in higher level for the LC- but I'm not sure if I'd be willing to put a LOT of work into it :/

Not very. At all. I got an A1 at OL. Managed to get ~68 in both modules in first year, and a first in calculus in second year. It's grand. Just keep up with the lectures & go over exam papers. :)

That said, Maths Methods is supposedly meant to be piss for anyone alright at maths & baby physics is essentially the LC course, which'd be a doss if you've already done it. If you're just trying to make up credits then go the methods & foundation route, imo! No point putting yourself through any unnecessary stress!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

First semester Maths is grand (as long as you go to the majority of lectures :D ). You'll be well able for it if you sat HL for the LC

The linear algebra part was well explained and not difficult (we spent weeks on topics which the straight/TSM Maths students spent one lecture on). If the exam papers stay the same then you can get a decent grade from linear algebra and your tutorials without even touching any calculus (some of the calculus is LC stuff, so even that side of the module isn't too hard either)

Do you need to do Maths for both semesters to any specific options in third year? I'm planning on just doing Maths Methods and Geology because I think I'll enjoy those modules more :) However if not doing Maths 1 and 2 will make other options unavailable to me later I might reconsider?

Do you need to do Maths for both semesters to any specific options in third year? I'm planning on just doing Maths Methods and Geology because I think I'll enjoy those modules more :) However if not doing Maths 1 and 2 will make other options unavailable to me later I might reconsider?

You need 1 term of maths/maths methods for most choices in 3rd year. The more difficult maths is only a requirement for Physics/Astrophysics I believe. took Maths Methods and Geology in first year and I didn't feel restricted in my subject choices in 3rd year at all.

You need 1 term of maths/maths methods for most choices in 3rd year. The more difficult maths is only a requirement for Physics/Astrophysics I believe. took Maths Methods and Geology in first year and I didn't feel restricted in my subject choices in 3rd year at all.

Cheers :) How did you find Geology? I don't know much about it but from what I do know it sounds interesting!

Cheers :) How did you find Geology? I don't know much about it but from what I do know it sounds interesting!

It was alright in first year, interesting enough! I took 4 modules of it in second year (Mainly to avoid the very daunting chemistry modules!) and it was a considerable step up from the first year course.

The origin of the universe as covered in the first year geology module is very interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SharpBerry

Hi guys, I'm heading into third year and wouldn't mind getting rid of my old books if anyone's interested in buying them, PM me please. :)

JF:
    Maths
    • Calculus, Late Transcendentals Anton, Bivens, Davis. 9th Edition. This is the same book for Multivariable Calculus in SF
    • Elementary Linear Algebra Anton, Romes. 10th Edition
    Chemistry
    • Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity Kotz, Treichel, Townsend. 7th Edition.
    • Fundamentals of Organic Chemistry McMurry. 7th Edition
    • Maths for Chemistry Monk, Munro. 2nd edition
    Biology
    • Biology Campbell, Reece. 8th Edition

SF:
    Chemistry
    • Atkins' Physical Chemistry Atkins, de Paula. 8th Edition
    • Elements of Physical Chemistry Atkins, de Paula. 5th Edition
    • Organic Chemistry Clayden, Greeves, Warren and Wothers.
    • Inorganic Chemistry Housecroft, Sharpe. 3rd Edition
    • Inorganic Chemistry Instant Notes Cox. 2nd Edition
    Biology
    • BY2201
      Neuroscience BIOS Instant Notes Longstaff. 3rd Edition
    • BY2205
      Microbiology BIOS Instant Notes Baker, Griffiths, Nicklin. 4th Edition
    • BY2208
      Genetics BIOS Instant Notes Fletcher, Hickey, Winter. 3rd Edition
    • BY2202
      Human Physiology Sherwood. 3rd Edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Ehmmm?

Is chemistry in 2nd year really difficult? I really like it and I do well in it but I wanted to pick foundation physics, maths methods, chemistry and biology but would be better picking geology or geography instead of physics?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ehmmm?

Oh and has anyone had a message on mytcd with thier tutor's details? It said we sould have gotten a message about that by now but I haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Ehmmm? wrote: »
    Is chemistry in 2nd year really difficult? I really like it and I do well in it but I wanted to pick foundation physics, maths methods, chemistry and biology but would be better picking geology or geography instead of physics?

Pick geography!

Ehmmm? wrote: »
    Is chemistry in 2nd year really difficult?
    Yes.

Have any of the continuing students from Science not received the invitation to register yet? I'm just a bit apprehensive since I haven't received any correspondence from them since I paid the fees.

Have any of the continuing students from Science not received the invitation to register yet? I'm just a bit apprehensive since I haven't received any correspondence from them since I paid the fees.

Me neither. I figure since the card collection thing isn't for ages they wont be getting their stuff together until they have to. Problem is I need my registration confirmation before I can get my grant acceptance finalised!

Surely they'll have to let us register by October :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

This might be a stupid question but here goes. I'm going to need a dissecting kit for biology, but I have an old one belonging to my sister. Would that be okay to use? I don't really see why not, just making sure :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

leaveiton wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question but here goes. I'm going to need a dissecting kit for biology, but I have an old one belonging to my sister. Would that be okay to use? I don't really see why not, just making sure :o

Yeah, most likely be fine. Hardly a need for everyone to buy one anyway, they have spare tools in the lab and usually the dissections are 1 between 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Old Person

so are the timetables for science out yet?

and if so, is there a way of wirelessly viewing them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 1sparkey

I have been told that I will not need a dissection kit for first year biology, by a student who just completed first year. Also , I have not received my timetable , I presume everyone is in the same situation

Advertisement