Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science TR071

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Iceuil

Hey guys! I know its quite late to ask, but maybe somebody could help me. Is there anybody studying chemistry, genetics, neuroscience or plant science? I would grrrrreeeeatly appreciate any opinions or feedback on these courses. We have to fill out the moderatorship choice form by the end of the week and i still don't know what to choose :(
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Yeah I'm 4th year genetics, what do you want to know?

Hey!

Mainly do you enjoy your course? Is it more interesting and exciting than the genetics module in 2nd year? Is the course difficult and demanding? I was set to do genetics when I applied to college, but I found the genetics module to be very boring and i didnt like the labs either. But it might just be 2nd year...does it get better later on?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Iceuil wrote: »
    Hey!

Mainly do you enjoy your course? Is it more interesting and exciting than the genetics module in 2nd year? Is the course difficult and demanding? I was set to do genetics when I applied to college, but I found the genetics module to be very boring and i didnt like the labs either. But it might just be 2nd year...does it get better later on?

Yeah genetics module in 2nd year isn't fantastic, well labs weren't great at least anyway. I love the course, but it'll depend on each person how they find it. It's as difficult as anything else, long hours in 4th year with labs and lectures and coursework, but rewarding in the end. I'd be more enthusiastic if I hadn't spent the last month writing a thesis, but it really is an excellent course. If you've any specific questions rather than just general i'd be happy to answer them.

Pick based on your interests whatever you do, not what other people say about how they enjoy it.

Thank you for your reply! I dont really have specific questions. I am torn between chemistry, genetics and plant science. Out of all three i prefer chemistry, but I find it difficult in 2nd year, im afraid i wont be able to cope with it in sophister years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

Any JS students have any advice about how to tackle these exams? Starting to worry - metabolism is like studying a dictionary :/

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

For Metabolism (provided it hasn't changed since I was in 2nd year!) the key is to memorise the **** out of all the key diagrams eg Krebs Cycle and know what happens in each stage. If you approach it this way it's not too bad, you're basically just describing the diagram you've drawn

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Did any Chemistry students do internships in the Summer of SF? How did you go about getting one? I know it's a bit late to be trying to organize it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

ciara1052 wrote: »
    Any JS students have any advice about how to tackle these exams? Starting to worry - metabolism is like studying a dictionary :/
    Can't give you too much advice on studying metabolism I'm afraid, whatever I did for it last year did not work very well. I will however say that if they give you a tutorial for the exams, take what they say with a pinch of salt. One lecturer spent his time going on about carbohydrates and nothing else, but carbohydrates never made an appearance on the day.
    Basically don't rely on any 'hints' lecturers might seem to give you, the questions are random and you don't want to get caught out.

Lawliet wrote: »
    Can't give you too much advice on studying metabolism I'm afraid, whatever I did for it last year did not work very well. I will however say that if they give you a tutorial for the exams, take what they say with a pinch of salt. One lecturer spent his time going on about carbohydrates and nothing else, but carbohydrates never made an appearance on the day.
    Basically don't rely on any 'hints' lecturers might seem to give you, the questions are random and you don't want to get caught out.
    Proper dick move that was, cost a lot of people their first choice and the first week of last september.

For metabolism (if looking for just a pass) I'd say to try and learn the main pathways and processes. They can usually be broken into just a few steps so if you know them and the bits about structure etc. and you have a passable answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

Can anyone tell me the finishing date for any of the SS Biochemistry exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Interferon Gamma

JC06 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the finishing date for any of the SS Biochemistry exams?

Exams on the 8th 10th 13th and 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 I Hate Systems

I'm in a JF arts course right now and still hating it since mid-September.
    Was going to transfer into Science earlier on in the year but I was told to give my course (English) a chance -_- fml

Was wondering, what is the marking system in Science like? I know about the 60 credits per year, and I've researched enough on module patterns but how does one earn the credits? Through labs, assignments, or exams?

In English, we have 6 essays (that are close to un-failable) and 6 exams. No form on continuous assessment at all, which I hate. So really the whole year boils down to 6 exams and if you fail one, you're screwed. Is this the case with TR071? Like, does everything hinge on final exams?

Thanks in advance, I'm desperate to transfer and these queries have been polluting my mind for months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I'm in a JF arts course right now and still hating it since mid-September.
    Was going to transfer into Science earlier on in the year but I was told to give my course (English) a chance -_- fml

Was wondering, what is the marking system in Science like? I know about the 60 credits per year, and I've researched enough on module patterns but how does one earn the credits? Through labs, assignments, or exams?

In English, we have 6 essays (that are close to un-failable) and 6 exams. No form on continuous assessment at all, which I hate. So really the whole year boils down to 6 exams and if you fail one, you're screwed. Is this the case with TR071? Like, does everything hinge on final exams?

Thanks in advance, I'm desperate to transfer and these queries have been polluting my mind for months now.

In JF Science, 60-80% of each module is down to the exam.

Most modules have 20% of the marks attainable through continuous assessment/MCQs/labs/assignments etc, some have up to 40%. It's not difficult to get most of the 20-40%, but it's very difficult/near impossible to get all of those marks (unless it's a Maths module).

The breakdown depends on the module itself. Some have all 20% going for one essay, some have 15% going for labs, the Maths ones have about 20% for weekly tutorials.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 I Hate Systems

Does this mean that failing the course is more improbable than probable? For example, if one is guaranteed at least 20% on mods through CA, you'd really only need the other 20% from exams (a passing percent being 40%?) to pass the whole module?

Im really just concerned about finding a course that I 1) don't hate, 2) wont fail provided the upper half of required work is done by me. I'm not afraid of some hard work. I am afraid of falling out of my depth, though.

Do you recommend the course? :o

Does this mean that failing the course is more improbable than probable? For example, if one is guaranteed at least 20% on mods through CA, you'd really only need the other 20% from exams (a passing percent being 40%?) to pass the whole module?

Im really just concerned about finding a course that I 1) don't hate, 2) wont fail provided the upper half of required work is done by me. I'm not afraid of some hard work. I am afraid of falling out of my depth, though.

Do you recommend the course? :o

Failing the entire course would be hard, if you put the effort in. Each module is separate, so failing one does not mean you fail all of them. Compensation exists in the course too.

Yes, you only need to scrape enough marks in the exam to bump your CA mark to a pass mark (but keep in mind, it is near impossible to achieve all of the CA marks, most people get an average of 7/10 or 8/10, it's the Maths modules where you would have a better shot at getting all 20%)

Do I recommend the course? JF material was ok, it's not impossible but there were a few dropouts from people I knew, and a lot of people sitting supplementals who I thought had gotten firsts/II.1's. Science is slightly a vocation in some areas, you have to have an interest in your key module(s) or else you'll probably end up not enjoying the course. As one of our lecturers said "scientists tend to be the most curious, always thirsty for knowledge".

If you are genuinely interested in one or more of the areas (Chemistry, Physics, Geology, Geography, Biology) then I do recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Lawliet wrote: »

I'll keep that in mind! Thanks!

Don't think it'll be as much of a disaster as chemistry will be though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

To any third years that did ch2201 last year. Did mike lyons pre-exam tutorial topic come up in the actual exam i.e. zero-order kinetics?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29 1sparkey

i

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Hi everyone!

I'm in sixth year now and this course sounds ideal for me. Particularly 'molecular medicine'! Just wondering if anyone here is studying molecular medicine through this course?

Plmko :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Lads Geology or Chemistry for SF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    Lads Geology or Chemistry for SF?

Geology if you really want to know the nitty gritty of the JF course. It's way way harder than JF and having an interest snails and bivalves is recommended. The course tells you excellent holiday destinations though.

Chemistry if you want to enter a field related to chemistry. It's apparently much harder than geology. If you're doing physics do chemistry but if you're doing astrophysics do geology. If you're doing anything biology related chemistry might be of more benefit. Not doing chemistry closes off a lot of doors also.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Interferon Gamma

Sparticle wrote: »
    If you're doing anything biology related chemistry might be of more benefit. Not doing chemistry closes off a lot of doors also.

I did SF chemistry and found it of no benefit to me when I went on to do a biology/biochemistry moderatorship (Immunology). Only do chemistry in SF if you would do it as your moderatorship. It's much more abstract and difficult than JF. I'd recommend geography if you can get into it, it's entirely CA based after christmas and on average, the scores are much better in SF making it easier to get your moderatorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

SF chemistry is also such a mess. You'll be stuck with BC for half a year, trying to meet up with people and mentors at awkward times to find out nothing of benefit. I'm pretty sure for the lab reports they pull a random grade out of the hat and a lot depends on the demonstrator you get. Exam is dodgy and it's difficult to know what to expect when they mark it. As much as I complained about physics in JF, it was organised much better in SF than chemistry and would recommend doing it over chemistry to anyone.

The most people I know who did SF chemistry and planned to go into a biology mod regretted it. You have to do this big group project/presentation that takes up a lot of time and is worth very little (it was 2.5% of each chemistry module when I did it). First semester chemistry was tough but doable, however second semester was a big jump up in difficulty. If you weren't doing physics and/or maths there was no point in even going to some of the lectures, which of course limits what you answer on the exam. I'd say a lot of people who failed SF did so because of chemistry, and plenty of people -myself included- site chemistry for dragging their overall grade down.

I'd only advise someone to do chemistry if they love it and are considering specializing in it or something related.

Thanks for the response guys. I'm certainly leaning towards doing geology now. Just don't see any benefit in me doing chemistry especially when I have minimal interest in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 irule

Does anyone know when the first round offers of places for JS moderatorships is???

irule wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the first round offers of places for JS moderatorships is???
    Best to email and ask if they haven't told you yet.
    Last year they came out on the 12th of July, it was less than a month after results

irule wrote: »

End of July according to the handbook, but Watson said that they try and get them out as soon as they're ready

• Advertisement

I have 2 chemistry books suitable for JF and probably SF for sale. Drop me a pm if anyone is interested.

I have the following..
    1) chemistry and chemical reactivity by Kotz

2)maths for chemistry by monks

Want about €75 for the two, so drop me a message if you're interested with an offer.

Cheers

Advertisement