Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCC 'Off-Topic' Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

What's the "MS for the Autumn repeats"? In any case, I don't think it's cheeky or rude at all. Maybe the maths department is different, but I've always found staff extremely easy to deal with and always willing to help. :)

Marking Scheme! Soz, used to shortening things :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Anyone gotten emails from the college about the coming year yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Nope..

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Can anyone tell me where exactly is the conference for the future of Irish media is being held, and any extra info about it? Plus directions would be helpful. The webpage says it's in UCC. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

Quick question, is events.ucc.ie down for everyone or just me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Neodymium wrote: »
    Quick question, is events.ucc.ie down for everyone or just me?

Nope, its down for everyone - great website to check is http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Umail is down. Again. Surprise surprise.

I think ucc recently moved their website to new servers, so maybe that is what is causing the problems.

Could anybody tell me what are the recommended texts for the modules that I will be doing in first year mathematical sciences.
    The modules that I will be doing for the first term are:
    AM1052 - Introduction to Mechanics
    AM1053 - Introduction to Mathematical Modelling
    MA1059 - Calculus
    MA1057 - Introduction to Abstract Algebra
    PY1052 - Introductory Physics 1

I'll be around the campus for 3/4 days before lectures start and I want to have a look at the books that I'll be using.

Umail is down. Again. Surprise surprise.

Its been down all day :rolleyes: It works through the portal though! But the portal is acting up a bit too!

Apparently blackboard is down too... gotta love UCC and it's IT dept :P

Edit...Bb works!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

AM1052 - Introduction to Mechanics

I don't think there is a book for this course.
    AM1053 - Introduction to Mathematical Modelling

There's no official book, but Steven Strogatz's Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos contains material from the course - and it's a great book, anyway.
    MA1059 - Calculus

Last year one had to buy Walter Rudin's The Principles of Mathematical Analysis.
    MA1057 - Introduction to Abstract Algebra

Asfaik the official text is Hungerford's Abstract Algebra: An Introduction. I think the Hungerford book is pretty poor though. I don't really have an interest in algebra, so I can't recommend a replacement. John Stillwell's Elements of Algebra might be worth looking at though, if you're interested in finding motivation for some of it, which is generally lacking from algebra books and courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

Hi,

Could anyone tell me how many places there is for ug med please?

Hi,

About 100/120 afink.

JamJamJamJam would know more :P! If he doesn't, email admissions in UCC and they'll be able to tell you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Hi,

As far as I know there are approximately 130 students per year, of which about 70 are coming from leaving cert.. The rest are international and mature students! Sorry I don't actually know the exact numbers, but they should be about right! :-)

IHC are you in Cork now?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Nervosa

PY1052 - Introductory Physics 1

Understanding Physics - Mansfield & O'Sullivan

There was a new edition out last year that was "required" for the course. Looked the same as the first edition to me BUT some of the problems were numbered differently. In PY1052 & PY1053 the weekly homework is taken from the problem sets at the end of each chapter. So make sure you have the correct questions!
    MA1059- Calculus

Walter Rudin's The Principles of Mathematical Analysis for the analysis part but there is very little calculus in it. Also I found it on pdf online. :) This is a new module number right? Probably split the MA1054/55 into two 10 credit modules.

Did anyone do second year chemistry and/or physics last year? Just looking for the tutorial times because they're not on the timetables yet.

How is everyone? Looking forward to the start of term? Any first year CK406ers feel free to pm me with any questions! I did option 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Izzie11

Any book recommendations for MA1003??

Did anyone get their repeat results back today? Some are out already but Science are tinkling out this week. http://www.ucc.ie/en/exams/results/result-dates/

Nervosa wrote: »
    Did anyone get their repeat results back today? Some are out already but Science are tinkling out this week. http://www.ucc.ie/en/exams/results/result-dates/

Next Tuesday :rolleyes: I'm gonna see if I can convince them this week to give them to me though! :P

That's right, you were sick for you last exam. Well I hope it works out for you! Luckily I did have any repeats this year for the first time ever. I have a few nervous friends waiting this week though.

Nervosa wrote: »
    That's right, you were sick for you last exam. Well I hope it works out for you! Luckily I did have any repeats this year for the first time ever. I have a few nervous friends waiting this week though.

Yea, I was! Might give the lecturer an email and see if he'll let me know, but if they arent out for the week, he might not and I'd feel cheeky! Dunno what to do!

• Advertisement

Izzie11 wrote: »
    Any book recommendations for MA1003??

Here a website from last year. Looks like Ben McKay taught it... Good luck!

The book is J. Stewart, Calculus: Early Transcendentals, it's about £30 used on amazon.

But here are some free books online

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Izzie11

Thanks Nervosa. I just had a look online for that Calculus book by James Stewart and there seems to be loads of different editions. I know on the Lecturers site he says get edition 6 but would it be safe to buy it now? I'd be afraid he might decide to go for edition 7 from now on! Also should I get the international metric edition?? I'm clueless

Izzie11 wrote: »
    Thanks Nervosa. I just had a look online for that Calculus book by James Stewart and there seems to be loads of different editions. I know on the Lecturers site he says get edition 6 but would it be safe to buy it now? I'd be afraid he might decide to go for edition 7 from now on! Also should I get the international metric edition?? I'm clueless

Best to hold off on buying it until the lecturer picks an edition (if at all) unless someone like Screaminmidget offers you a second hand version at a good discount! All the editions are actually all pretty much the same, it's mostly just the exercise numbers scrambled a bit, the chapters moved about (in the "Early Transcendental" case), or the units changed (for the "metric" edition). I'm convinced that the whole series is just a classic money making endeavor, in the spirit of the old leaving cert books having different "editions" every 2 or 3 years. I personally rate the Stewart book as one of the worst mathematics books I've ever come across.

I had a couple of pints of Beamish last night in Callanan's on the quay there. Beamish is my usual drink of choice. Went in with €12 and had 4 pints! €3 each how bad. Everyone in there was drinking Beamish and there was a lovely pull off the tap. Only 3 drinks on tap and two were stout, and no Guiness. A Cork institution! Is it as cheap in the college bars?

Nice find Nervosa! I think Beamish is €3 in the Old Bar. I don't think you can get Beamish in the New Bar, and the other stouts are more expensive. I heard that the Old Bar can charge lower prices because they don't stock any Diageo beers: when a pub stocks Diageo beers they're oblidged to charge a minimum price on other non-Diageo drinks.

It's a grand spot. Maybe my new local, which I've trying to find for years now after I moved back to the "southside". There's no fault with Beamish. Guinness if I'm desperate, which is usual. I went into Souths one Saturday night with some friends and had a couple of brandies. Never mind your "Jager Bombs", brandy is the job.

I PASSED :D:D:D:D

Thanks to everyone here for the help and shizz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Excellent! Well done!

Now me being the impatient fecker that I am, need to get onto the IT dept cos I need to get my modules registered cos they havent opened it in the portal yet :( Cutting it very fine with time here xD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I PASSED :D:D:D:D

Thanks to everyone here for the help and shizz :)

Well done :-D WOO!

Advertisement