Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking Bad 5x07 - Say My Name [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I'm not that shocked by Walt killing Mike. The tension between them has been building since the start of this season and there were a few earlier episodes where I thought Walt would kill Mike.

What was the noticeboard in Hank's office about?

218686.png
    The pictures show the numbers of the safety deposit boxes that the lawyer was dropping money for. The people in the pics are those coming to collect their legacy money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I think this episode shows why Walt is one of the best fictional TV personalities in recent years. The guy is a coward and an idiot and an all round detestable guy. Pretty much the antithesis of what you'd expect from an american tv show, none of this tough guy emotionally detatched Tony Soprano sociopath crap, just an idiot with an inferiority complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

2rZTq.gif

Hehe, it took me a few seconds while watching it to play "Spot the Mike" because I saw Mike but thought it was Walt, so I was looking for Mike to his left.

Show has a lot of baldies. Even Jesse's hair is fairly skinned

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

The pictures show the numbers of the safety deposit boxes that the lawyer was dropping money for. The people in the pics are those coming to collect their legacy money.

Does this give hope that Kaylee's safe deposit hasn't been raided? If that's the case Mike didn't die in vain anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Does this give hope that Kaylee's safe deposit hasn't been raided? If that's the case Mike didn't die in vain anyway.

Yeah the granddaughters should be safe and sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Did anyone else notice the look on Walt's face when Todd said "We'll talk money when I learn how to do this". Walt looked very content, as if he knew he'd be easily able to manipulate Todd, something he struggled to do with Jesse at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That could also be interpreted as the teacher coming out in Walter... He was impressed by Todd's attitude and application to his work, as distinct from Jesse who could never apply himself and who showed no such enthusiasm for learning in the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I thought Walt realised he might be able to rob him and give him less than his fair share. Todd doesnt seem the brightest guy and would likely agree to whatever Walt offered. We know how much Walt wants money nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Mike's demise near broke me heart... :(

Can't say I didn't see it coming though. His exit was just too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

5194695_700b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I love BrBa comics, but my favourites are those horribly drawn ones.

tumblr_ltn6hyBaZO1r5wexuo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Paully D wrote: »
    Yeah the granddaughters should be safe and sound.

I may be wrong but I could have sworn someone said something about it being the second time they took Mike's money for his granddaughter.

I know I've given a lot of details there which proves my point :D, but that's the impression I got. Going to rewatch tonight anyway and see if I can pick it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

qwabercd wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice the look on Walt's face when Todd said "We'll talk money when I learn how to do this". Walt looked very content, as if he knew he'd be easily able to manipulate Todd, something he struggled to do with Jesse at times.

I took that as meaning Todd means to teach Walt how to calculate 100% of sweet **** all once he learns the cook. What exactly would Walt do with a qualified cook / sociopath who means to make him redundant - send him to the principal's office ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Dave! wrote: »
    That could also be interpreted as the teacher coming out in Walter... He was impressed by Todd's attitude and application to his work, as distinct from Jesse who could never apply himself and who showed no such enthusiasm for learning in the beginning.

I also took it that way. Though I'm pretty sure he'll come to regret appointing Todd his assistant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I think Todd is playing Walter, i would be very wary of him if i was Walt as i think he could be his downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

Here's my question about this 2 parter series that we're looking at here; in S05E01, we see this flash forward to a grizzled looking Walter with hair. It's his 52nd birthday and it looks as though the preceding year has been less than kind to him. He looks depressed and he is eating his traditional birthday breakfast in an unfamiliar looking diner. On top of that he looks like is about to attend to some business involving high powered automatic rifles/machine guns. Not good.

My question is this : what kind of cliffhanger ending would allow an intervening year to go by before picking back up? Will we be shown what happened in that year? Why are the writers suddenly monkeying with the timeline? The first 4 and a half seasons have had a one year time line. Finally, is it possible that the flash forward was something of a red herring? That little scenario maybe is set some time after the series ends and we're not actually meant to see the events before or after it. It is simply there to make us believe that we will see them because viewers are conditioned to believe that a flash forward will generally be explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

krudler wrote: »
    what was with all the subliminal image flashes throughout the episode? there's a couple of single frame shots, one right after the opening credits end.

They were ads, I screencapped two of them. One was for Volkswagen and the other was for vodka. I think they were just the last little bit of ad that remained after they were cut from the episode.

EDIT: Actually no, the other was for Bud Light.

EDIT2: though maybe it WAS subliminal messaging. Just check out the background on this one. http://imgur.com/mi6Ky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I took it that Walt was a little wary of Todd's comment regarding money - Todd is a new face, and a loose cannon, and Walt can't necessarily predict his behaviour. Putting off the discussion of money was obviously supposed to point to a dedication to the work first and foremost - whether it's true or not is the question.

I think Walter's insistence to work with Jesse all the way through has - as much as any other good reason - been due to the fact that he always knew where Jesse stood, thanks to Jesse's natural combativeness. I'm not sure that Walt can immediately trust - or even warm to - someone who seems so earnest and eager; I'm not sure that I can either!

Also, Todd looks a bit like, and acts a lot like, Matt Damon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

I was thinking it could be that bank alright, but I wonder what is the significance of showing us that Walt sees it? Maybe there is nothing more to it than just another piece of info for Walt when he is warning Mike about the cops coming after him.

I think the significance of Walt seeing this was so we could see it, so we could assume that Mikes granddaughters money is safe. I know Saul said Mikes money was taking twice I think he was only guessing, I dont know how he could know, he probably just heard money was taking and assumed Kaylees was some of it. Maybe as well as that the writers might have thought it a bit of a coincidence Walt just happened to be there at the exact same time Gomez tells Hank about the lawyer flipping on Mike, the board makes it look less coincidently because it shows that Hank was working on the case not long beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I'm not sure that Walt can immediately trust - or even warm to - someone who seems so earnest and eager; I'm not sure that I can either!

Kinda like Gale?

• Advertisement

CMpunked wrote: »
    Kinda like Gale?

I don't know why your quote is attributed to LionelNashe(! :P ), but yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭qwabercd

A lot thinking Todd could prove to be Walt's downfall. Personally I think it has to come down to Walt vs Jesse as that has been the arc from season1. Todd has played a very minor role thus far and I'd feel a bit cheated if he ultimately proved to be the one who overcomes Walt/

Personally I think it has to come down to Walt vs Jesse as that has been the arc from season1.

I dunno - I just don't see either one being capable of killing the other (if that's what you're suggesting - many people seem to be).

I'm a little concerned about how they're gonna deal with the Skyler situation in a decent (in terms of storyline) way. She's become a nothing character to most I think, and a hated character to many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Sinfonia wrote: »
    I don't know why your quote is attributed to LionelNashe(! :P ), but yeah!

Neither do I, because when I go to edit it your name is there.

Odd. But you got me anyway, :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The Gnome wrote: »
    There was one part that struck me as interesting. Just after Walt removes the bugs from Hanks office, there's a high shot of the room that seemed, to me anyway, to imply it was the view from a security camera [see below].
    [/IMG]

Am I mad?

Nice catch. The angle did stand out at the time, but there might only be a camera there if they think there's a leak and there hasn't been a suggestion of that, unless I missed something.

Walt's a man who test people's resolve without mercy. Just utterly...even before killing Mike, that scene with Jesse earlier on 'if you're so pure', horrendous.

Poor Mike. Awful. I guess it could have blind sided me a bit more if they hadn't shown Walt checking the bag. Should have guessed Mike's demise given how clearly they showed the vault box with his granddaughter's name on it and that he was getting a reasonable amount of screen time. :( I don't think Mike would have flipped unless they threatened to put his granddaughter in a group home or something.

A tad convenient that Walt was in Hank's office when he heard the news about the lawyer. Hank's always going to keep his nose in the field no matter what. He'll catch some heat for it, but he'll get the job done.

When Mike was dumping all his gear in that hole in the ground I couldn't help but think of the scene in the first episode of this season - where Walt's in the diner and gets the big gun just after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Walt is giving away his only leverage by teaching Todd how to cook. Todd shouldn't care about the money, he's getting the most valuable asset Walt has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

What did Hank notice when he was looking at the pics of Mike sitting in the park?
    He looked visibly shaken when he noticed something before his boss interrupted him through the conference call.

Regarding this question from earlier, the most popular opinion on this reddit thread is
    Basically, before Hank got called out for being too involved with the Fring case, I thought that his reason for intensely focusing on the pictures of Mike gave him a realization. Hank noticed that Mike always had a laptop and this, combined with him having stopped throwing DEA tails right when they got the warrant for him made Hank realize he must have been listening in somehow.

This is complete and utter bull**** right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Lets see how Walt reacts if Todd has expectations of being a 50-50 partner. And then how will Todd take it if Walt just tells him to get stuffed. Todd's contacts may have been of no concern to Mike but maybe they will be a problem for Walt.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I think Todd is going to be a major factor in Walt's fate. Walt is teaching him to cook, we already know he'll get blood on his hands at the drop of a hat, he's playing dumber than he looks. He has Walt's recipe for 99% pure meth in a notebook, he's basically got Walt by the balls should push come to shove and Walt tries to either push him away in favour of Jessie should he change his mind about wanting out, or he'll try sell it to the competitors or the cartel.

He's like the anti Jessie, not afraid to kill without feeling any remorse, he can apply himself, he's not showing himself to be greedy even though Walt was offering him a cut immediately. Walt's look after he turned down the offer of money was either one of respect for this guy or one of delight that he can manipulate him. You know the fcukers are going to end next week on a cliffhanger too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Grimebox wrote: »
    Regarding this question from earlier, the most popular opinion on this reddit thread is

This is complete and utter bull**** right?

I think that kind of occurred to me at the time actually but I forgot about it because of the ending/Gomez's smile :D

Advertisement