Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking Bad 5x07 - Say My Name [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

C3s2o.png

Hey!

9a4GH.png

....hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Oh, and with regards fingerprints on guns / cars etc... do we really expect the Hank and the rest of the DEA to catch Walt on f*cking fingerprints? You think Vince Gilligan and the other writers have geared up 5 years of writing and suspense for that? This ain't Eastenders kids!

And Walt's fingerprints wouldn't be on file anyways... he certainly hasn't been arrested to my knowledge.

Hank will either catch Walt in the act or Walt will realise Hank's to close and have to put at end to it... more likely the former!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Walt was arrested back in Season 3 when he got aggro with a cop who stopped him for having a broken windscreen.

I'm absolutely gutted that Mike is gone now,he's been my second favourite character in the show besides Jessie!

Jessie's gonna hit the roof when he finds out!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Another brilliant episode.

Am I the only who was confused at the end as I thought Walt had missed and then we see Mike with gin pointing at his stomach?

Either way sad to see a great character go, but brilliant of the show to do it now not later.

Also, I think Walt screwed up at start with gang by revealing Jesse as an excellent cook. Means that Jesse could work with them and therefore diminish Walt's own value to the gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Jessie's gonna hit the roof when he finds out!
    If.
    There's no reason for anyone to suspect that he didn't just leave town..

Also, has Skyler mentioned considering suicide at any point? She looks like she's heading toward it.. With presumably only the thought of the kids keeping her from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Walt was arrested back in Season 3 when he got aggro with a cop who stopped him for having a broken windscreen.
    Ahh.. I do remember that now.

Regardless - he ain't gonna be found out on leaving fingerprints!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

Sinfonia wrote: »
    If.
    There's no reason for anyone to suspect that he didn't just leave town..

Also, has Skyler mentioned considering suicide at any point? She looks like she's heading toward it.. With presumably only the thought of the kids keeping her from it.

Well she did try to drown herself in the pool..... Hey pool party!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Next week is going to be big :D.
    I'm thinking a cliffhanger along the lines of the break in the last season of BSG. The kind of cliffhanger that has people shouting at the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

With their tendency to throw things into vats, i found it interesting that "Mike Ehrmantraut" is an anagram for "Marinate The Murk"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

A minor complaint but I would have rathered they not shown the gun in the scene where Walt picked up the bag, it kind of made it a bit to obvious what was gonna happen, they could have just shown the part where Mike looks in the bag and sees an empty holster, then all you see is Walt at the window, I think we could have pieced it together without seeing the gun in the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Basq wrote: »
    Oh, and with regards fingerprints on guns / cars etc... do we really expect the Hank and the rest of the DEA to catch Walt on f*cking fingerprints? You think Vince Gilligan and the other writers have geared up 5 years of writing and suspense for that? This ain't Eastenders kids!

And Walt's fingerprints wouldn't be on file anyways... he certainly hasn't been arrested to my knowledge.

Hank will either catch Walt in the act or Walt will realise Hank's to close and have to put at end to it... more likely the former!

I think it will be a series of things that finally convince Hank. Things that by itself he might dismiss, but with everything added together he cant deny it and has to accept it was Walt all along. Fingerprints on the car or something would be something he's dismiss by itself, but it plays a part anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

irish son wrote: »
    A minor complaint but I would have rathered they not shown the gun in the scene where Walt picked up the bag, it kind of made it a bit to obvious what was gonna happen, they could have just shown the part where Mike looks in the bag and sees an empty holster, then all you see is Walt at the window, I think we could have pieced it together without seeing the gun in the bag.

I dunno I think it created just the right amount of tension. I was convinced he'd do it and then when Walt went to walk back to his car I kinda felt relieved, in the same way we all felt relieved when they got away with the train heist. Of course then he turned back and shot him, same technique with the kid. It's very effective!!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭milosh

These discussions over the last few years show the genius behind the show. The characters that we often think of as the good guys are all greedy individuals who put themselves and their families above everyone else, no matter what the consequences. The main protagonists are all to a person evil with the peripheral characters the good guys. Yet at so many different times over the 5 seasons to date, we cheer on the murderers and drug dealers and dislike the innocent wives and cops. I would suggest that no other show has ever made us admire so many genuinely evil characters.

When everyone liked Walt in the first two seasons, we choose to ignore the fact that he was destroying hundreds of lives with his product to provide only for two people in his life.

Everyone likes Jessie, yet we forget that he was the original cook and we have seen what the drugs have done to his friends. He is also a murderer yet we tend to have sympathy with him because we think he is being manipulated.

Most people admired another cold blooded kiler in Gus Fring despite the fact that part of his "legitimate" business seemed to only employ illegals (Something most Americans strongly disapprove of) along with his drug dealing.

The same goes for Mike who is responsible for many lives lost and it is suggested countless others in his past. Again, because he was looking to provide for his granddaughter we see him as a noble character. He was more than happy to kill the mother of a girl around the same age as his granddaughter twice in this series.

All characters we would be expected to despise in real life, yet at different times we have chosen to admire,pity or even like.
    Best show ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I've always thought that Walt's downward journey would see him killing Jessie in the end, and that it would be a real moral low point for him, but now that he's killed Mike, there won't be much impact if he kills Jessie. It would be more surprising if he doesn't kill him at some stage. I now think he's going to do something that's even worse than killing Jessie, like killing Skylar or Hank and Marie. Its the first time that I've felt that its almost too dark for me to keep watching.

Going to watch The Newsroom for a bit now because I can't go to sleep in this mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Was I the only one who Google'd Bacon Banana Cookies to see what they were like? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Just watched it there. I didn't quite understand why Walt shot Mike at the end. I'm gonna put it down to me being tired. It seemed like an entirely emotional response to Mike's hard truths. There will certainly be a second viewing during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭budgemook

Grimebox wrote: »
    Just watched it there. I didn't quite understand why Walt shot Mike at the end. I'm gonna put it down to me being tired. It seemed like an entirely emotional response to Mike's hard truths. There will certainly be a second viewing during the week.

Even without the hard truths I reckon Walt was thinking about getting rid of Mike. Mike was a loose end at this point. When they were in Saul's office Jessie was protesting that Mike wouldn't roll but Walt didn't seem convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Walt got very aggressive when his manipulation of Jesse didnt work and he 'lost it' when Mike wouldn't do what he wanted. His ego couldnt take it and because of that, again, he's made a bad situation even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Great episode, Poor Mike. RIP.

I predict Jesse will take Skylar hostage in the next episode demanding to get his money and it will end with Jesse being shot or Skylar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Can't see Jessie taking Skylar hostage,he seems to be sickened by violence at this stage.I've a feeling that Skylar will end up sleeping with Jessie just to twist the knife in Walt,which will lead to himself and Jessie going to war for the final season next year,with Hank also slowly figuring out that Walt is Heisenberg and having to decide to join him or arrest him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I dont have the foggiest idea how this years portion of episodes will end. But I dont think its going to reveal much, if anything about where the show will be for the final 8 episodes.

Like could anyone see where it would have ended up at this point 6 episodes ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Turpentine wrote: »
    I think it was more a return to bumbling Walt. He didn't care that he'd killed Mike though, it was more that he'd forgotten that there was an easier way to get the info he wanted, and he'd just complicated things.

Each person that Walt kills is a new moral low for him...Crazy 8 and Emilio were going to kill him, and ironically he probably had the worst regrets about killing Crazy 8 even though he found out later that he was a snitch...if he hadn't killed Crazy 8 they would have been busted before they had even begun. With each killing there is a period of justification- Gale had to go so that Gus wouldn't kill them, Gus was threatening him and his family, even the kid was a security risk; but with Mike he's realised that he didn't even need to kill him- he could have let him go and got the information he needed from Lydia who would give it willingly. Realistically he only killed Mike because he insulted him and exposed his pride and ruthlessness. I wonder will Jesse find out- there's no reason why he couldn't have disappeared into the sunset and never make contact again. It will be just one more horrible thing that Walt has done to Jesse and covered up. I feel terrible for Kaylee too thinking her grandad is behind her on the swing and then he disappears never to be seen again. I reckon she'll get to hold on to the money tho- the lawyer wouldn't have been going into her box at the time so fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Madame K wrote: »
    Iwonder if jesse and skylar will have another scene together. That one in the carwash was telling.

They're both trapped by Walt...maybe they will find a way to get past him together?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

I had to wonder about Mike getting on his high horse to Walt near the end of that episode, berating Walt about blowing the 'perfect' situation they had under Gus. Gus couldn't wait to get to get enough info on Walt's cooking method and formula so he could off him. That doesn't sound like a perfect situation for Walt. Maybe for Mike but not for Walt.

Walt killing Mike almost certainly means that he will be on his own. He's lost Jesse and, with killing Mike, Saul's certainly going to have to at least rethink the whole partnership. At this stage Walt probably doesn't think that he needs anyone but he is wholly reliant on various characters to help him operate. Walt's only very rarely had to go and get his hands dirty in the everyday business of making a meth operation go. He's not had to deal the stuff or talk with local kingpins outside of Tuco or Declan. Walt is, physically speaking, the same man he was at the very beginning. He's shaved his head, his posture has become more assured but it's not like he's been lifting weights, scrapping or practicing down at the local gun range. He's playing bad guy but it's still a nerdy former high school teacher who's doing that and that's something that could easily be exposed as he has to deal more and more with the realities of running a meth operation by himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Smarmy

Great episode, tough ending. Always felt it could happen with Walt and Mike butting heads so much but thought Mike would last until at least the next half of the season. Great character and will be a big loss to the show.

I thought the scene with Jesse and Skyler was interesting and it wouldn't surprise me if he helped Skyler get away with the kids, maybe using that guy that Saul knows to disappear people. He definitely knows something is up anyway. Although with this show you can't guess anything

Can't wait for next week but then another fecking year to wait!!!!!

As for Walt this is what I think of him now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ridiculous prediction - Jesse will bang Skyler at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Grimebox wrote: »

It was just pure ego. Throughout this season Mike constantly challenged Walt and blamed him for how things turned out. Walt's in a place now where he needs to be in control. Mike refusing to give up the names of the 9 guys while also blaming Walt for killing Gus and screwing everything up just pushed Walt over the edge. Plus there was probably a little bit of resentment for Mike somewhat turning Jesse against Walt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

briany wrote: »
    Walt killing Mike almost certainly means that he will be on his own. He's lost Jesse and, with killing Mike, Saul's certainly going to have to at least rethink the whole partnership.

I'd say Walt will make Mike disappear. After all, Saul and Jesse knew he was going to meet Mike and give him his money so he could disappear, so if Walt can hide the body or do his vanishing act with the acid (which Todd would probably help with), Saul and Jesse wouldn't find it odd that Mike is missing.

Though given the relationship Jesse and Mike had, Jesse's bound to find out eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I had always thought that Mike knew that Walter had a part to play in the death of Jesse's girlfriend (there was something about the way he looked at the cardboard on the broken window in jesse's house that suggested to me he knew someone else was in the room) and that he'd tell Jesse eventually, pushing him over the edge and killing Walt. There goes that theory!

Sad to see Mike go, but he had served his function in the story by that point (there was nothing left for him to do) and when I saw Walt look at the gun in the bag I knew he was going to kill him.

Really, really good episode. Loved the scene where Jesse walks out on Walt - that was intense

Agree with the theories that Jesse is going to team up with Skylar - maybe both of them killing Walt is the only way they can be free.

Next week is going to be a barn burner. Can't wait.

Advertisement