Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Coming back from honeymoon, the OH is tired and cranky and she doesn't like flying under normal circumstances and our flight to Toronto was pretty rough so when we were told of the problems with the planes I could see her getting more and more stressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Coming back from honeymoon, the OH is tired and cranky and she doesn't like flying under normal circumstances and our flight to Toronto was pretty rough so when we were told of the problems with the planes I could see her getting more and more stressed!

Congrats man. Wish you a safe journey and all that.

Off to bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Why are you travelling by plane? Take the helimachoptor...
    Oh no...you didn't go there with that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

TO working out with the Seahawks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Paully D wrote: »
    TO working out with the Seahawks.

He's getting on a bit now isn't he? Regardless of playing some indoor league games, he hasn't played since 2010. Then throw his left ACL into the mix and it all smacks of desperation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

He's getting on a bit now isn't he? Regardless of playing some indoor league games, he hasn't played since 2010. Then throw his left ACL into the mix and it all smacks of desperation.

Well the guy is broke in the wallet and mentally. Sad to say I wouldn't be surprised to see him dead in a few years ala Seau. Football is his life and it's all but over.

TO update:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/06/report-t-o-runs-sub-4-5-forty-at-seahawks-tryout/
    The Seattle Seahawks are pursuing free agent wide receiver Terrell Owens after his “very impressive” Monday tryout, but Owens might be smart to shop his wares a bit in light of the following news.

Mike Sando of ESPN.com, who covers the entire NFC West, reports that Owens ran a forty-yard dash in the 4.4s during the workout. Owens turns 39 in a few months, but he can still run really, really fast in a straight line.

Plenty of teams around the league could use a big, fast receiver. The Vikings, Dolphins, Jets, Ravens, Texans, and Owens’ old team, the Cowboys, all come to mind.

For now, though, Owens is in the Seahawks’ crosshairs and it sounds like they don’t want to let him get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Plenty of teams around the league could use a big, fast receiver. The Vikings, Dolphins, Jets, Ravens, Texans, and Owens’ old team, the Cowboys, all come to mind.

He ain't coming to Baltimore

Tired of this franchise bringing in ageing receivers.

Let the young players play. Ravens have lots of bright young players and they need a chance

But it certainly would be good to see him back in the league and Seattle is a good a home as any

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Garrard listed #1 QB on Dolphins current depth chart. Weeden announced as starter for the Browns. Blackmon finally signs his deal with Jaguars. Jets have a 20 man brawl in practice.

Just another day in the NFL :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

Bears resign Rashied Davis on a one year contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,622 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

2012-depth-chart-rosters-1.png

I find the pronunciation guide funny at the bottom.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Massive KO return chopping hit in CFl followed by an int, I love football*

Even Canadian!

Reid Family Statement
    On behalf of Tammy and our family, I would like to thank everybody for their tremendous support, love, kind words and prayers during this time of great sadness. Words cannot express our sense of loss.

We loved Garrett so much. He was a wonderful son and brother. He made us laugh, he was a pleasure to be around, he always had a smile on his face, and we will miss him dearly. We will never forget him, and we will remember him with love.

Garrett’s road through life was not always an easy one. He faced tremendous personal challenges with bravery and spirit. As a family, we stood by him and were inspired as he worked to overcome those challenges. Even though he lost the battle that has been ongoing for the last eight years, we will always remember him as a fighter who had a huge, loving heart.

I spoke with the team yesterday and thanked them for their thoughts and prayers. I asked them to continue with their preparations for the upcoming season until I am ready to rejoin the team.

It is in times like these that we lean on our faith, our family, our friends, and our Eagles family. We will do so in the difficult times ahead.

Thank you again for your continued support,
    Andy Reid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Thought this website is pretty cool. Links twitter feeds from players, writers and blogs for each team.

Here is the link for the Chargers, just select your team on top.

NFL Twitter Link

The first episode of Hard Knocks starts in 20 minutes :cool: It's on HBO so it may be difficult to get a link to watch it live but there will be loads of links to it available in the morning.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-miami-dolphins-0807-20120806,0,6072871.story
    They blend into training camp scenery like skilled chameleons hunting for that next juicy sound bite.

Their goal is to capture the sights, sounds and – they hope – the true characters of a Miami Dolphins football team that in many ways continues to search for its own identity.

On Tuesday night, the world will be offered a deep probe of an NFL franchise in this latest version of HBO's "Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Miami Dolphins."

The show airs 10 p.m. on Tuesdays through Sept. 4 on HBO.

"Am I scared? I'm scared of me on TV, yeah," Dolphins coach Joe Philbin quipped. " I'm scared of me, but I'm not scared of the information or leakage or any of that kind of stuff."

Perhaps some of that concern is generated when Philbin reminds himself a mounted robotic camera is watching him behind the closed doors of his office. Two men sitting in a dark trailer capture his most intimate moments at the Dolphins' complex.

Philbin is seven months into his first NFL head coaching job. Not only is he trying to turn the Dolphins back into a winning franchise after three straight losing seasons, he also must settle a three-way quarterback battle while he continues to make sense of the death of his son, Michael, who drowned a week before he took the job.

Rob Gehring, Senior Producer with NFL Films, and the director of Hard Knocks, said the stories and characters are bound to change on a weekly basis.

Gehring, 35, was a member of the Hard Knocks crews that covered the Kansas City Chiefs and the Dallas Cowboys. Those experiences have helped him come to understand what appeals to viewers.

"We're giving you extraordinary access to the team," Gehring said. "I don't know if those are centered around surprising characters. I think it's more you'll get to see how the coaches talk behind closed doors. You'll see the very beginnings of the decision making process when it comes to determining the (53-man roster). ...Obviously, the quarterback battle will be a big component of the show. You'll get to see the seeds of that."

They also hope to capture all of the significant moments as well.

The crew was scrambling on a Saturday night when first-round draft pick Ryan Tannehill arrived at the training facility to end a two-day holdout to sign his four-year deal.

Tannehill revealed to reporters he had eluded NFL Films' cameras unintentionally when he entered the building, but that they soon found him in the locker room in time to capture the deal.

And yes, Tannehill's wife, who has attracted national attention for her good looks, is in the show.

"She'll be in the beginning of the show when we're setting up the quarterbacks with their families," Gehring said. "I'm sure she will appear in future shows. All kidding aside, wives and families are an important part of this. They are the support system that allows these guys to be entrenched here, and we certainly will spend time with them."

One question when the Dolphins announced they would do Hard Knocks was about boundaries. So far, Gehring said, the Dolphins have been "great" and have not put up any fences and barbed wire.

"We have been very sensitive that we will not violate any of that," Gehring said, "not even go near it."

Dolphins players have offered different opinions about Hard Knocks presence, and its potential impact on the season.

"I've seen the show a few times and I think they do a pretty good job at just showing what we go through as football players, as athletes and they do a good job of showing the business side of things," Dolphins running back Reggie Bush said. "I think they will do a good job of just kind of capturing what we're all about."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Not on until tomorrow Paully!

Not on until tomorrow Paully!

Bollocks anyway, I was looking forward to watching that. Oh well, one more day won't hurt :)

The first ever female official in NFL history will be one the crew that officiates the chargers- packers game on thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,184 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Can't wait to watch Hard Knocks tonight! Think I might stay up for the first episode :o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 nfltweeter.com

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Thought this website is pretty cool. Links twitter feeds from players, writers and blogs for each team.

Here is the link for the Chargers, just select your team on top.

NFL Twitter Link

Thanks for the mention Rochey. Just noticed quite an uptick in visit from this site via analytics.

Appreciate you sharing the site and hope you will continue to use and enjoy it. I was trying to "thank you" or give rep, but wasn't able to find it.

We're in the middle of a site makeover and will be adding much more relevant and convenient content in the next month. I'll keep you posted!

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Can't wait to watch Hard Knocks tonight! Think I might stay up for the first episode :o.

632664586.png?key=467114&Expires=1344372883&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=d4iLBf0vmXFQfyiwgl0ZTAP7N55lf3qwIzG-2otHxPgnHhoQ0a3rsJHvGLTK06N5R56n3IVP7UCLyWKJTt5Nck0YHy4L0I7xi-OpvDX~r62Ro7SSTtEmQFte2m-36lD4Jz1J~mbcZpe9GdXtIMLlTq5sil5KFyxw1YSQWzoz1iE_

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

How would one go about watching Hard Knocks tonight?

Incase it's in breach of charter any kind gent out there could pm me!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

How would one go about watching Hard Knocks tonight?

Incase it's in breach of charter any kind gent out there could pm me!!

If posting streams here is illegal then I should have been banned a long time ago :P

I'm looking for a stream for it atm. If I can't find one in 5minz then I'll just wait for tomorrow !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,184 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Very good episode, delighted to have it back after the year off!

I would have posted a link but I was watching on a private pay site, sorry lads. I hope ye managed to find a stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

didnt realise we could post streams, here ya go

http://videopremium.net/3mgveh815hw2

Pre-season games this week:

Thursday Night/Friday Morning

Redskins @ Bills (12am)

Steelers @ Eagles (12:30am)
    Saints @ Patriots (12:30am)
    Ravens @ Falcons (12:30am)

Packers @ Chargers (1am)

Broncos @ Bears (1:30am)

Friday Night/Saturday Morning

Giants @ Jaguars (12:30am)
    Buccaneers @ Dolphins (12:30am)
    Browns @ Lions (12:30am)
    Jets @ Bengals (12:30am)

Cardinals @ Chiefs (1am)

Vikings @ 49ers (2am)

Saturday Night/Sunday Morning

Texans @ Panthers (12am)

Titans @ Seahawks (3am)

Sunday

Rams @ Colts (6:30pm)

Monday Night/Tuesday Morning

Cowboys @ Raiders (1am)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Not at home so can't check the tv guide but are any of these been shown on sky sports or espn?

Can't check at the moment, but Im sure ESPN showed the Sunday Night games last year. I vaguely remember watching a Ravens game on it late one Sunday night last preseason.

• Advertisement

Joe Haden failed a drug test and looks like he'll be suspended for 4 games.

Matt Barkley, I hope you like Cleveland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement