Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

mikemac1 wrote: »

CoachTO, I expect you have this in your playbook? :cool:

I did and never used it. No longer coaching in the IAFL as I head to the US in the middle of the 2013 IAFL season. Might join another team to help them out until I shoot off.

Only on NFL Network I think.

Will have to find a stream so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

CoachTO wrote: »
    Will have to find a stream so.

Stream 8 on here at 1am . This site has most games I find.

http://www.coolsport.tv/schedule.php

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Will this game tonight be any way competitive at all or just played at a Pro Bowl/All-Star Weekend pace?

Paully D wrote: »
    Will this game tonight be any way competitive at all or just played at a Pro Bowl/All-Star Weekend pace?

Full pace but with the backups more so than the starters.

• Advertisement

Theres guys on these teams fighting for a place on the roster so yeah it'll be competitive, maybe not the best standard ! But the guys in the second half will be putting an effort in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Can't say I'm bothered staying up, I'll just wait until next Sunday when it's a 6:30 game, and I get to see Luck/Bradford in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Can't wait for tonight. Football is back bitches!

Full pace but with the backups more so than the starters.
    Theres guys on these teams fighting for a place on the roster so yeah it'll be competitive, maybe not the best standard ! But the guys in the second half will be putting an effort in :)

Lovely stuff, cheers lads. Looking forward to it now, bought Gamepass as well so it's my first chance to test it out watching a live game :)

@jeff_morrett: @ochocinco hows the play book with the dolphins compared to Cincy and NE?

@ochocinco: @jeff_morrett Cincy = #'s system NE= Arabic Mia= West Coast

NE playbook = Arabic :pac:

• Advertisement

@jeff_morrett: @ochocinco hows the play book with the dolphins compared to Cincy and NE?

@ochocinco: @jeff_morrett Cincy = #'s system NE= Arabic Mia= West Coast

NE playbook = Arabic :pac:

Have to say Ocho did well to keep his mouth shut while at the Pats. But now he is just coming off as a bitter arsehole. Making it out as if it was the Pats fault he couldn't learn the system and was useless. Ocho has been in the game since his mid teens and he can't learn a playbook that most of us on Boards would learn fairly handy.

As for him saying Miami is West Coast it must be a rubber head format of the west coast and dumbed down just for him as the original West Coast Offense playbooks and in fact some of the modern ones are fairly robust and complicated also. I have never wanted a team and a player to fail more nowadays than I have the Dolphins and especially Ocho. Joke of an an organisation and a joke of a man.

I thought it was a joke to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,741 ✭✭✭nerd69

i duno coach ochos always been loud but hes never really disrupted any team for the most part hes been no harm and he gave the bengals fans something to smile at when they had nothing else to smile about

matthew8 wrote: »
    I thought it was a joke to be honest.

That is Ocho's problem though always joking. And it isn't the first time he has joked about it. And the fact he failed at the Pats due to the playbook thing there is some truth and bitterness to his jokes. He seems to deflect everything with "jokes".

To add if he spent less time on Twitter and joking and actually tried to sit down and learn the game he would have been a better player.

condolences to coach reid he seems to be one of the few guys who is liked and respected league wide i can only imagine how hard it is to bury a son

That is Ocho's problem though always joking. And it isn't the first time he has joked about it. And the fact he failed at the Pats due to the playbook thing there is some truth and bitterness to his jokes. He seems to deflect everything with "jokes".

To add if he spent less time on Twitter and joking and actually tried to sit down and learn the game he would have been a better player.

I think when you've had a career like he's had with over 11,000 receiving yards you've earned the right to fool around. You also have to bear in mind it's not in his interest to come out and say he was bad with the Patriots because he is a shadow of his former self.

matthew8 wrote: »
    I think when you've had a career like he's had with over 11,000 receiving yards you've earned the right to fool around. You also have to bear in mind it's not in his interest to come out and say he was bad with the Patriots because he is a shadow of his former self.

He was bad with the Pats because he was running the wrong routes and didn't know what he was doing. In fact his athletic ability was never in question while with the Pats.

As for earning the right to joke around? They are pro players and the joking around should never affect your gameplay and in this case his lack of effort with the playbooks made him fail with the Pats. He got away with it at the Bengals because their offense worked around him and even Palmer admitted that at times he got used to Ocho running the wrong routes and said he got used to Ocho being in the wrong spot. The Pats were not going to do that especially not Brady as the Pats strive for perfection. And a guy like Ocho gets found out.

Besides 11059 yards over 11 seasons is nothing special really. He had 6 solid seasons out of the 11 and the rest were nothing to be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Joke of an an organisation and a joke of a man.

Fins may be a joke now but at least their legacy aint tainted by cheating.

TaosHum wrote: »

ah here not this **** again, season is starting again tonight, can't we all just be friends ? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

ah here not this **** again, season is starting again tonight, can't we all just be friends ? :P

Its only banter. Couldnt let a pats fan take a swipe at the fins and get away with it.

• Advertisement

Its only banter. Couldnt let a pats fan take a swipe at the fins and get away with it.

3p3wbn.jpg

Devin Thomas retires at age 25. Not a bad way to go out I suppose, Super Bowl champion and he recovered two vital fumbles for the Giants against the 49ers in the NFC Championship game, one which set up the winning FG.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/08/former-giant-devin-thomas-hangs-em-up
    In one season with the Giants, Devin Thomas achieved a dream and nearly experienced a nightmare. And that was enough to prompt the 25-year-old wide receiver and return man to step away from football.

The fifth-year receiver, who signed with the Chicago Bears in the offseason after playing a key role during the Giants’ run to Super Bowl XLVI, announced his retirement on Sunday on Twitter, saying simply, “I have decided to retire from the NFL.”

He leaves the game satisfied, he said. Thomas was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the second round in 2008, but he never cared for stats, and only wanted a title, he told the News.

“That’s the whole purpose of me playing the game anyway,” he told the News. “I accomplished my childhood dream. I couldn’t care less about personal goals as far as Pro Bowls and receiving yards.”

Thomas said he felt his "spirit going other ways," and "felt it was a good time to let the game go." And a near-nightmare incident in December also helped prompt him to walk away.

During the Giants’ 23-10 loss to the Redskins, Thomas collided with a Washington player’s knee. He lay motionless on the New Meadowlands turf before he was carted off with an apparent neck injury.

The injury didn’t prove to be serious, and Thomas was healthy by the playoffs, making two critical fumble recoveries in the NFC championship game victory over the San Francisco 49ers. But the moment left an impression on him.

"What am I risking when I step onto the field?" he said. "Do I want to be in a position where I can't play with my kids? Do I want to end up leaving the game with all kinds of brain damage where I can't remember things. It's a good time for me to step away.

“I’m at a good age where I’m still healthy,” he added. “I had my own injuries that I can account to, when I almost thought I broke my neck, concussions. Everybody glorifies this game, says it’s so great. It’s definitely something people put you on a plateau. But they don’t understand the sacrifices you make personally. As a young man that understands the bigger picture, I know this game doesn’t define me.”

Now, Thomas said, he can focus on the things that sometimes took a backseat to football. He'll spend time planning his upcoming wedding with fiancé Porshia, hang out with their four-year-old son, Devin Jr., and "give some of my time and effort back to my hometown” of Ann Arbor, Michigan. He talked of "mentoring and coaching kids," and plans to return to Michigan State. Mostly, he said, he will "bounce around."

"I also kinda want to take a little hiatus and just adventure and enjoy life," he said. "Do things that I always dreamed to do. I'm really excited. It's a great time for my family. I finally have some stability. It's time for me to settle down. It's pretty much just a widespread scenario."

Devin Thomas retires at age 25. Not a bad way to go out I suppose, Super Bowl champion and he recovered two vital fumbles for the Giants against the 49ers in the NFC Championship game, one which set up the winning FG.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/08/former-giant-devin-thomas-hangs-em-up

Nice story, hopefully he can get a steady job now and enjoy his life :)

wooooooooooo the hof game nfls back baby.......kind of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

If you've got half an hour to kill, you could do worse than listen to Curtis Martin's Hall of Fame induction speech last night.

Incredibly touching and brutally honest.

cedb5699_Popcorn.gif

Nice little stat before tonights HoF game:

Cardinals Larry Fitzgerald has more receptions (693) in 124 games than 15 of the 21 modern era HoF WR's had in their career.

Nice little stat before tonights HoF game:

Cardinals Larry Fitzgerald has more receptions (693) in 124 games than 15 of the 21 modern era HoF WR's had in their career.
    Wow and bar Warner he's had no qb imagine what he could be doing with a Brady or Rodgers

Not a good start for Kolb. INT on his first throw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Not a good start for Kolb. INT on his first throw!

I just laughed when it happened,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement