Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Report - MCD blamed for violence at SHM gig

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

davet82 wrote: »
    Does 'electronic music' have to have special consideration because of the people it attracts?
    Guess they'll never have a Stockhausen concert in the Phonenix Park now!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The report also recommends letting the Stone Roses play for 3 nights next year

Finally some sense has come out of it all!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

For me the problem is with the SHM fans rather than the organisation of the gigs

I dont think its the 'fans' either, i'd bet that anybody arrested at the gig couldnt tell you anything about their music

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

I dont think its the 'fans' either, i'd bet that anybody arrested at the gig couldnt tell you anything about their music

Well I'd disagree. I was at the Stone Roses gig, I didn't see one fight, nobody passed out drunk, there was literally no arrests either. You telling me that's just a coincidence? Swedish House Mafia just seems to attract scumbags, that's all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Bollox music is music, Hitler loved Wagner, Stalin Tchaikovsky, music has been blamed for delinquency since Elvis. thought Ska and punk were great but I am not a violent person and neither were my friends.

Scumbags are scumbags and they just ruin any occasion no matter who is playing or what is going on.

• Advertisement

Colmustard wrote: »
    Bollox music is music, Hitler loved Wagner, Stalin Tchaikovsky, music has been blamed for delinquency since Elvis. thought Ska and punk were great but I am not a violent person and neither were my friends.

Scumbags are scumbags and they just ruin any occasion no matter who is playing or what is going on.

Bit strange then that there was all those stabbings and arrests at the SHM gig but literally none at the Stone Roses one, two days previously. Coincidence?

Bit strange then that there was all those stabbings and arrests at the SHM gig but literally none at the Stone Roses one, two days previously. Coincidence?

But I wouldn't blame a music genre for the behaviours of scumbags, but I concede your point. It was a security F/up.

a bunch late 20s to early 40s in a field versus underage drinkers in their teens up to late 20s, of course there is gonna be more trouble from a younger more inexperinced crowd.

But I wouldn't blame a music genre for the behaviours of scumbags, but I concede your point. It was a security F/up.

Nah pal I ain't blaming the genre at all, I love dance music, although not SHM, but unfortunately it does attract bad elements. Was the security bad? I wasn't at the gig but it seemed tight enough at the Roses, but I obviously can't comment at the state of it at the SHM gig.

a bunch late 20s to early 40s in a field versus underage drinkers in their teens up to late 20s, of course there is gonna be more trouble from a younger more inexperinced crowd.

You what? I'm 18 and I was there, and I was far from the youngest!

• Advertisement

I am also sure that this band (whoever they are) have had big gigs elsewhere in Europe without this trouble. There is something about the average Dublin scumbag, they are just berserkers, we can't even have a paddies parade without them kicking off. I went into town after last years Dublin all Ireland win, most us Dubs had big wide love the world grins, but apparently there was murder in parts of town because of this element.

I am also sure that this band (whoever they are) have had big gigs elsewhere in Europe without this trouble. There is something about the average Dublin scumbag, they are just berserkers, we can't even have a paddies parade without them kicking off. I went into town after last years Dublin all Ireland win, most us Dubs had big wide love the world grins, but apparently there was murder in parts of town because of this element.

Actually funny you mention that, three people were stabbed at their gig in England the same month!

Actually funny you mention that, three people were stabbed at their gig in England the same month!

:eek: holy ****. I have to look up this band.

:eek: holy ****. I have to look up this band.

I wouldn't bother man they're rubbish!

You what? I'm 18 and I was there, and I was far from the youngest!

overall majority, not disputing that there where younger people at the stone roses gig

overall majority, not disputing that there where younger people at the stone roses gig

I would say that the overall majority seemed to be mid to late 20s. On a similar vein, the age bracket for the Snow Patrol gig would be similar to the SHM one. Why wasn't there carnage at that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

On a similar vein, the age bracket for the Snow Patrol gig would be similar to the SHM one. Why wasn't there carnage at that?

A catatonic state of boredom isn't conducive to a knifing frenzy.

stovelid wrote: »
    A catatonic state of boredom isn't conducive to a knifing frenzy.

If anything the wounds would be self inflicted for anyone that had to sit through that!

I would say that the overall majority seemed to be mid to late 20s. On a similar vein, the age bracket for the Snow Patrol gig would be similar to the SHM one. Why wasn't there carnage at that?

i think there was alot of underage people at the SHM gig compared to SP.

you have to remember there were 60k and it was still a very small proporation that caused trouble.

i wouldnt blame SHM for a few wánkers causing trouble or their majority of real fans who enjoyed the concert

what do you suggest, that we ban dance music or SHM from playing again?

i think there was alot of underage people at the SHM gig compared to SP.

you have to remember there were 60k and it was still a very small proporation that caused trouble.

i wouldnt blame SHM for a few wánkers causing trouble or their majority of real fans who enjoyed the concert

Were you at both gigs? Because I imagine people would have been drinking at both, but different crowds means different reactions. I'm not too sure how small the proportion was, supposedly there was fights everywhere, I even heard of people leaving the gig early because of the trouble. Nah SHM aren't to blame, its just the sort of fans they attract! Why would I suggest banning dance music? I've already said I love it! However, this sort of outdoor event with this line-up was bound to be trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭professorpete

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mcd-blamed-for-violence-at-swedish-house-mafia-gig-3188748.html

MCD maybe could have been better prepared but what prepares you for knife weilding manaics?

More / better security; if searches were carried out as they're supposed to be, then in theory, weapons will be detected / confiscated and people wielding / concealing them will not be allowed admission.

More / better security at gigs that clearly will have more messers at it than the likes of Snow Patrol.

May have been said already but I think MCD have an obligation for any event that it's holding to protect it's customers from knife wielding arseholes out to case a ruck. They can achieve this by providing adequate security.

I think people saying it's because of drug dealers are missing the point. Weapons shouldn't make it past the front gate.

More / better security; if searches were carried out as they're supposed to be, then in theory, weapons will be detected / confiscated and people wielding / concealing them will not be allowed admission.

More / better security at gigs that clearly will have more messers at it than the likes of Snow Patrol.

May have been said already but I think MCD have an obligation for any event that it's holding to protect it's customers from knife wielding arseholes out to case a ruck. They can achieve this by providing adequate security.

I think people saying it's because of drug dealers are missing the point. Weapons shouldn't make it past the front gate.

The thing is though, I seem to recall having that metal detector wand thing being passed over my body before I went into the Roses gig. Surely that would detect knives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In fairness, I assume the problem is that if you searched every single person throughly at a gig of, what, 45000 people, how long would that take?

Also imagine the rush just before the start of the gig and trying to fully search 1000s of people.

A metal detector rig-out like at airports would be the only way to detect knives more quickly and again, that will still take time due to false alarms, follow-on searches etc.

All the Joe Duffy palaver and blame-slinging about a handful of stabbings at a massive gig just masks the fact that there is probably little way of stopping a small number of people ending up inside with knives at an outdoor gig of that size.

stovelid wrote: »
    In fairness, I assume the problem is that if you searched every single person throughly at a gig of, what, 45000 people, how long would that take?

Also imagine the rush just before the start of the gig and trying to fully search 1000s of people.

A metal detector rig-out like at airports would be the only way to detect knives more quickly and again, that will still take time due to false alarms, follow-on searches etc.

All the Joe Duffy palaver and blame-slinging about a handful of stabbings at a massive gig just masks the fact that there is probably little way of stopping a small number of people ending up inside with knives at an outdoor gig of that size.

Well its not like all 45000 arrived at once to be fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

You can correlate musical tastes to different social behaviour. Dont try to deny it otherwise there wouldnt be the cliche of what kind of people listen to different types of music. I'm not saying its a hard and fast rule but there would be more violent scumbags at a SHM gig that a Daniel O'Donnell one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Put a sterilising agent in dutch gold, it's an investment in the future of the nation.

Were you at both gigs? Because I imagine people would have been drinking at both, but different crowds means different reactions. I'm not too sure how small the proportion was, supposedly there was fights everywhere, I even heard of people leaving the gig early because of the trouble. Nah SHM aren't to blame, its just the sort of fans they attract! Why would I suggest banning dance music? I've already said I love it! However, this sort of outdoor event with this line-up was bound to be trouble.

no just the SHM one, had friends at the others.

Fights everywhere... sounds like your typical saturday night in temple bar.

was there a higher precentage of 'scumbags' at the SHM than the other gigs? - of course there was but of the 50k that went to the gig it would be a small precentage of the overall number that caused trouble.

Like I said these people that caused trouble aren't fans, we shouldnt call them that.

no just the SHM one, had friends at the others.

Fights everywhere... sounds like your typical saturday night in temple bar.

was there a higher precentage of 'scumbags' at the SHM than the other gigs? - of course there was but of the 50k that went to the gig it would be a small precentage of the overall number that caused trouble.

Like I said these people that caused trouble aren't fans, we shouldnt call them that.

Yeah I get that, but what I think you're trying to say is that they only went for the event rather than the artist performing. Why did so many descend en masse to the SHM one rather than the others?

Yeah I get that, but what I think you're trying to say is that they only went for the event rather than the artist performing. Why did so many descend en masse to the SHM one rather than the others?

thats what i ment, you said it better than me :pac:

why... i'm not sure. 10 years ago i went clubbing alot more, big dance events too and there was never trouble like this.

i think the decline in popularity in ecstacy and the increase in popluarity in cocaine (with alcohol) may explain the violence, even the most aggresive scumbags were mellow after taking some tablets. i'm not saying drugs are ok btw before anyone starts! ;)

you have a theroy on it? i really dont know tbh

• Advertisement

thats what i ment, you said it better than me :pac:

why... i'm not sure. 10 years ago i went clubbing alot more, big dance events too and there was never trouble like this.

i think the decline in popularity in ecstacy and the increase in popluarity in cocaine (with alcohol) may explain the violence, even the most aggresive scumbags were mellow after taking some tablets. i'm not saying drugs are ok btw before anyone starts! ;)

you have a theroy on it? i really dont know tbh

I'm not sure myself! Maybe the 2pm start had something to do with it, as some people there seemed hell bent on getting totally f ucked before they went in. Maybe drugs had a part to play too, particularly if mixed with booze. Or maybe its just to do with the nature of SHM fans.

Advertisement