Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Fantasy Football Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

With all the talk of Noble from WH, i'm thinking that Nolan is a better option. He may be 1m more but has a good goalscoring record in recent years, most notably the season before last with Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

jcunning wrote: »
    de Gea should play but you never know with Fergie.

Bar injury, De Gea is Utd's #1 'keeper for this season. That's how he is viewed internally at the club right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

We've got a Silva thread, a midfielder "dilemma", an Aguero "conundrum", and now a striker "situation". Add that to the "predict a bandwagon" thread, "start of season star man" thread and several others, and we really are letting the number of threads about the same things get out of hand.

I don't see why any of these need to be outside the "Rate My Team", "Bargain Players", "Pre-Season", or General Chat threads.

I know we don't get many other sports in here, but we need to remember it's a fantasy sports forum, not a fantasy football forum. All these similar threads will stop people from posting about other things.

The mods either need to have a word and sort out the mess, or we're going to be faced with the following over the next 3 weeks...
    • The Tevez Quandry
    • The United Midfield Contingency
    • The Liverpool Incident
    • The Hazard Enigma
    • The 'keeper Stickler
    • The Pogrebnyak Perplexity
    • The Dunne Identity
    • The Dunne Supremacy
    • The Dunne Ultimatum

Etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Bar injury, De Gea is Utd's #1 'keeper for this season. That's how he is viewed internally at the club right now.

i gaurntee you lindergard will start a good few games though. He's a great gk to be fair, he wont sit on the bench and play 2nd fiddle too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

i gaurntee you lindergard will start a good few games though. He's a great gk to be fair, he wont sit on the bench and play 2nd fiddle too long.

I'm sure he'll start a few cup/europe games and a few Premier League ones over the Christmas period. Nothing close to last season though.

• Advertisement

OctavarIan wrote: »

I'm sure he'll start a few cup/europe games and a few Premier League ones over the Christmas period. Nothing close to last season though.

Ye your probaly right but tbh it depends on de gea's form. IMO he hasn't proved he can be fully trusted yet , yes he improved bucket loads since the start of last season but it's still heart in your mouth stuff when he comes for corners etc !.

Lindergard has proved he can be reliable and he had a good record going last season for not conceeding. ATM there's not much between the 2 of them, obviously de gea is very young with serious potential to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Nozebleed wrote: »
    is lampard a starter for chelsea these days? same with nani for utd? are they likely to start the season as first choice?

I would think Chelsea will have Mata and Hazard supporting Torres up front, with Ramires, Lampard and either Mikel, Romeu or Essien in midfield. Marin will be mainly a sub. Oscar to be phased in over the course of the season, depending how quickly he settles.

Nani is a tough one to call. United will rotate wingers a lot. Nani won't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

carlcon wrote: »
    The mods either need to have a word and sort out the mess, or we're going to be faced with the following over the next 3 weeks...

Storm off in a huff again, see if that works.

Storm off in a huff again, see if that works.

So you've just set your mind on trolling then? Fair enough.

I'll keep to my constructive criticism and carry on being a contributing member here.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

To be honest, I used to prefer the old 1 thread for all FF; I didn't think there were too many posts, log in every so often and read up on everything in 1 go. Now it's from here to there to the other place... FF scout is kinda 1 continuous thread, albeit under different articles, the conversation just rolls on and on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

We've got a Silva thread, a midfielder "dilemma", an Aguero "conundrum", and now a striker "situation". Add that to the "predict a bandwagon" thread, "start of season star man" thread and several others, and we really are letting the number of threads about the same things get out of hand.

I don't see why any of these need to be outside the "Rate My Team", "Bargain Players", "Pre-Season", or General Chat threads.

I know we don't get many other sports in here, but we need to remember it's a fantasy sports forum, not a fantasy football forum. All these similar threads will stop people from posting about other things.

• The Tevez Quandry
    • The United Midfield Contingency
    • The Liverpool Incident
    • The Hazard Enigma
    • The 'keeper Stickler
    • The Pogrebnyak Perplexity

• The Dunne Identity
    • The Dunne Supremacy
    • The Dunne Ultimatum

Etc...

I disagree here,i think threads to discuss the Keeper,Defender,mid and striker postions are worthwhile.
    Sure aren't they the most important part of the game????
    Some players may have issues with just choosing a defender so he can go directly to where he may find an answer rather than piling through thread after thread for tips/advice.........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

So when we had a single thread in Soccer it wasn't good enough, we needed our own forum to allow more scope in the area..... now, there are too many threads?

I personally agree with there being too many threads but seriously, you can't have it every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

dahat wrote: »
    I disagree here,i think threads to discuss the Keeper,Defender,mid and striker postions are worthwhile.
    Some players may have issues with just choosing a defender so he can go directly to where he may find an answer rather than piling through thread after thread for tips/advice.........

I agree, if you have an issue with reading different threads, or dont find them interesting or helpful dont read them! Nobody is holding a gun to your head saying you must read and leave an opinion! Personally i like the different threads...

That's a fair point I don't necessarily disagree with. If we had threads for each position, that's no bother. Having several threads for individual players, on the other hand, is another thing altogether. Especially since the players chosen have just been who the OP's deem to be relevant to them. Why not Tevez? Why not Gerrard? Why not Terry? Why not Nani, Valenica, and Young?

All big players in big teams, with tons to talk about, but where do we stop?

This is by no means a big deal, I was just offering constructive criticism on something I feel got out of hand.

And I'll also note that some of the threads I referred to have already had people complaining in them. I just decided to mention in General Discussion, instead of hijacking the thread. Because I DO avoid the threads I don't like, as was suggested by another - but that doesn't mean it's ok to let the forum get out of hand.

I'll leave it at that. Apparently some people are offended that I have a different opinion to them, so no need to wind them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Arsenal complete the signing of Carzola. It'll be interesting to see what price he starts off at.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/02/arsenal-santi-cazorla-robin-van-persie?newsfeed=true

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Captain Bob

Sure aren't they the most important part of the game? ???

Very good point, we definitely should have trend for every position.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

That's a fair point I don't necessarily disagree with. If we had threads for each position, that's no bother. Having several threads for individual players, on the other hand, is another thing altogether. Especially since the players chosen have just been who the OP's deem to be relevant to them. Why not Tevez? Why not Gerrard? Why not Terry? Why not Nani, Valenica, and Young?

All big players in big teams, with tons to talk about, but where do we stop?

This is by no means a big deal, I was just offering constructive criticism on something I feel got out of hand.

And I'll also note that some of the threads I referred to have already had people complaining in them. I just decided to mention in General Discussion, instead of hijacking the thread. Because I DO avoid the threads I don't like, as was suggested by another - but that doesn't mean it's ok to let the forum get out of hand.

I'll leave it at that. Apparently some people are offended that I have a different opinion to them, so no need to wind them up.

Threads on individual players i do not like either and i have made a post or two on this recently.
    If Mods just pout up threads on each position we would be sorted,nice and simple and no need for player threads then........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Arsenal complete the signing of Carzola. It'll be interesting to see what price he starts off at.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/02/arsenal-santi-cazorla-robin-van-persie?newsfeed=true
    8.5m I'm guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭arbitrage

Which is the better choice?

Dempsey + Pogrebnyak

6.5 Midfielder + Bent

Side Note:

Which is the weak link?: Dempsey (at Fulham), Hazard, Bale?

Lindegaard has signed a 4 year deal with United. Which means he's either got no ambition, or has been promised some first team action.

Doesn't tell us too much, but should be an added worry to those going with de Gea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Lindegaard has signed a 4 year deal with United. Which means he's either got no ambition, or has been promised some first team action.

Doesn't tell us too much, but should be an added worry to those going with de Gea.

It's fairly simple to solve though. For those with a for example....... Kaboul and De Gea. Just swap Kaboul for Ferdinand/Jones and De Gea for Friedel. Same with people who have Komapny and De Gea. Or any defender with a goalkeeper of the same price from the same team.

FatRat wrote: »
    It's fairly simple to solve though. For those with a for example....... Kaboul and De Gea. Just swap Kaboul for Ferdinand/Jones and De Gea for Friedel. Same with people who have Komapny and De Gea. Or any defender with a goalkeeper of the same price from the same team.

I don't think it is that simple though. The only reason de Gea is on anyone's radar is because the likes of Ferdinand and Jones are subject to rotation. de Gea is supopsed to be the "safe bet" in United's defence, without spending 7m on Evra. Having any United defender outside Evra is going to give you a headache until after around GW3 or 4 when we see who's getting first team games. And that's not taking into account all the current injuries United have, which will make us all even less unsure who's there on merit, and who's just filling in a spot for an injured player.

(Vidic too, of course, but y'know... still 7m + injury worries)

i see a high % of people have cerny of qpr at 4 million as there 2nd choice keeper, he's hardly going to be number 1 ahead of rob green?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

i see a high % of people have cerny of qpr at 4 million as there 2nd choice keeper, he's hardly going to be number 1 ahead of rob green?

doubt it. but some people are saving money for elsewhere in their team. personally i want two 1st choice keepers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

He's no shane ferguson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I don't think it is that simple though. The only reason de Gea is on anyone's radar is because the likes of Ferdinand and Jones are subject to rotation. de Gea is supopsed to be the "safe bet" in United's defence, without spending 7m on Evra. Having any United defender outside Evra is going to give you a headache until after around GW3 or 4 when we see who's getting first team games. And that's not taking into account all the current injuries United have, which will make us all even less unsure who's there on merit, and who's just filling in a spot for an injured player.

(Vidic too, of course, but y'know... still 7m + injury worries)

Nah, I think Ferdinand will play nearly every game. Similar to last year. He'll definitely start the season and play the first 5-10 games without any worry of rotation. If by then he starts getting rotated or gets injured then I think at that point Fergie will have established his back 4. i.e who the right back will be. I don't think it's wise or even within Fergies weird managerial decisions to rotate defenders constantly. It will be the same 4 all the the time barring injury imo. And when it comes to injury I think people are being very pessimistic when they don't want to put someone in their team incase they get injured. Even with a history of injury, they should be treated the same as every other fully fit player since, afterall, they are fully fit. Fair enough if they weren't. One lad I'll stay away from is Smalling alright, he's never fully fit. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

He won't be starting. But I may spend 6 million on my starting keeper who I expect to keep a lot of clean sheets and start all season and then just throw the 4 million keeper on the bench as a filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    He's no shane ferguson

He had 13/14% ownership at one stage. More than almost everyone else in the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

He had 13/14% ownership at one stage. More than almost everyone else in the game.

I know, a huge amount of ppl had him in as there third sub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    I know, a huge amount of ppl had him in as there third sub

And then they got screwed over when they couldn't get rid of him later in the season. No one expected Newcastle to do so well and then they weren't able to get 3 of the high performing Newcastle players into their team because Ferguson was so cheap and difficult to get rid of.

Oh how I laughed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement