Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

C+H Thread of Olympic-y Goodness

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

http://www.london2012.com/country/ireland/

London 2012 website is actually really good! You can get info on all the events, athlete profiles, the schedules and stuff like that! :)

Thank youuuu :)
    Nearly all sailing, jaysus I might stick with my beach volleyball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

deise_girl wrote: »
    Where does one find what Irish olympians are competing today?

There's a sticky post each night in the Sports forum that lists them all.

Annalaise Murphy seems to have finished 8th in race 5.

Rowing on RTE2 right now, Eoin Rheinisch bidding for a final place.

John Joe Nevin will be stepping into the ring at ~2pm looking for a QF place in the bantamweight division.

Rheinish just made a balls of it.

Do they only have 1 run?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

decisions wrote: »
    Rheinish just made a balls of it.

Do they only have 1 run?

1 run in the semis I believe.

Gutted for him. :(

• Advertisement

Not the best day for us so far, hope John Joe will improve our fortunes.

Not the best day for us so far, hope John Joe will improve our fortunes.

Annalaise's result wasn't disastrous. Not great, but not the worst thing that could of happened considering wind speeds were down compared to the past few days.

C'mon John Joe! He was the most impressive of our boxers so far, so hopefully he can put in a strong showing here.

Nevin up now!

'mon John Joe!

After round one of the ballroom dancingboxing match, Nevin leads 5-2.

• Advertisement

Close round, but the score is 5 - 2 to JJ Nevin.

Great boxing match, some great punches from John Joe.

10 - 5 after the second

John Joe pretty much in control here. Bit of a crap match, but we'll take it. 10-5 after R2.

EDIT: ^ha! guess I just prefer a punch fest to a dancing competition. :pac:

Fantastic boxing from Nevin, won by 15-10

Hon the Nevin. :)

Nice to have a bit of good news today.

Annalaise seems to be in trouble in race 6, the word seems to be that she's down to 30th in the early stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Major controversy at the refereeing here in the boxing with Cuba vs Iran - one contestant has been disqualified and has left the ring without having his hand lifted by the ref...

jumpguy wrote: »
    Major controversy at the refereeing here in the boxing with Cuba vs Iran - one contestant has been disqualified and has left the ring without having his hand lifted by the ref...
    ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

..?
    If you want me to answer something I'll need more than that. :rolleyes:

jumpguy wrote: »

Didn't see this particular fight, but the judging in the final few heavyweight matches and the opening few superheavys is what I would call questionable. Overall the judging in these games has been pretty poor IMO.

One of the superheavys was 6'9" and was fighting a dude that was 6'3"(I think). That's just unfair! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Didn't see this particular fight, but the judging in the final few heavyweight matches and the opening few superheavys is what I would call questionable. Overall the judging in these games has been pretty poor IMO.

One of the superheavys was 6'9" and was fighting a dude that was 6'3"(I think). That's just unfair! :P

The height superiority of fighters in comparison to others isn't anything to do with the judging.

Haye - Valuev in pro boxing for example. Valuev is what 9 inches taller? Perfectly legitimate to be fighting each other.

• Advertisement

flyswatter wrote: »
    The height superiority of fighters in comparison to others isn't anything to do with the judging.

Haye - Valuev in pro boxing for example. Valuev is what 9 inches taller? Perfectly legitimate to be fighting each other.

You're right, I should have separated those two points in my post better. I meant the one about the height to sound like a child in a school yard saying "THAT'S NOT FAIR! YOU CHEATED!". Whereas my general ill-feeling about the judging throughout the games was a genuine point.

My bad. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I just glanced at the front page of the local newspaper and apparently there was some outcry about Bill O'Herlihy's comment about badminton being considered a Protestant game back in the day? And that some people took offence? FFS. :D

I just glanced at the front page of the local newspaper and apparently there was some outcry about Bill O'Herlihy's comment about badminton being considered a Protestant game back in the day? And that some people took offence? FFS. :D

What Bill said: "When I was a young lad a long time ago, Badminton was considered a Protestant sport" (i.e. wasn't particularly thriving in a fiercely republican Ireland of the 1940's and 50's.)

What People Heard: "Isn't badminton only an 'aul Protestant sport and aren't Protestants stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Nathan Adrian when he won the gold medal, d'awww.

Started watching swimming on BBC because Ian Thorpe is unexpectedly camp, and they actually get interviews with the swimmers...

Nocher finished second last in her heat, and she won't qualify.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Wonder how accurate this page is
    http://www.london2012.com/country/ireland/athletescomptoday.html
    Coz theyre after leaving out that Anna Merveldt is competing in the Dressage Grand Prix at 1:25..
    Like they could have been leaving other things out :/

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

Coz theyre after leaving out that Anna Merveldt is competing in the Dressage Grand Prix at 1:25..

After glancing through a few other countries pages it looks like they've left the dressage out altogether. Not exactly surprising though, is it? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Joey. wrote: »

After glancing through a few other countries pages it looks like they've left the dressage out altogether. Not exactly surprising though, is it? :/

Strange sport. This is my first time seeing it. Does the rider have much control over the horse or is it all up to the horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

It's like horse dancing or something :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Strange sport. This is my first time seeing it. Does the rider have much control over the horse or is it all up to the horse?

The horse has absolutely no say in the performance. This led to a bust up in the 2004 olympics when a North Korean Rider wanted to Piaffe when the horse wanted to do a half pass. Neither wanted to perform when it came to their turn and both were sent to the glue factory.

Advertisement