Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

C+H Thread of Olympic-y Goodness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

Strange sport. This is my first time seeing it. Does the rider have much control over the horse or is it all up to the horse?

It's an acquired taste :pac: How much control the rider has depends on how cooperative the horse is I suppose, a few minutes ago the Canadian horse completely sold out on its rider. Horses are unpredictable gits sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AvAv

You could have the quietest horse in the world, be the best rider ever seen and still have no control because a pigeon has flown by.

Dressage involves having your horses attention as much as possible and proving that to judges by doing certain things at certain speeds.

(Im pretty sure that if the horse was left to do its own thing it would find something to eat or go for a roll :P )

You have to give it to Olympians though, they make sports look amazing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The horse has absolutely no say in the performance. This led to a bust up in the 2004 olympics when a North Korean Rider wanted to Piaffe when the horse wanted to do a half pass. Neither wanted to perform when it came to their turn and both were sent to the glue factory.

Jeee-sus. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Hannah Craig just put in a great performance. Only one penalty. Needs 4 other people to do crap and she'll be through. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Only 3 more people needed to make a mess of it for Hannah to go into an Olympic final.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

2 more....

• Advertisement

2 more :P

RTE cut coverage to talk to some lad in studio. Stellar work as usual. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

They're reviewing the penalty, RTE's TV coverage isn't good at all, I find the commentators boring. Their internet coverage is half decent though.

Using BBC on the TV to watch everything, HD streams and good commentary!

They're reviewing the penalty, RTE's TV coverage isn't good at all, I find the commentators boring. Their internet coverage is half decent though.

Using BBC on the TV to watch everything, HD streams and good commentary!

Only have Saorview where I'm using the internet so no BBC unfortunately. :(

Darren O'Neill will be stepping into the ring in a few minutes for his bout. 2:45 is the scheduled time.

12th in the Olympics is a very good result for her.

Now it's boxing time.

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Only have Saorview where I'm using the internet so no BBC unfortunately. :(

Darren O'Neill will be stepping into the ring in a few minutes for his bout. 2:45 is the scheduled time.

The bbc are showing their stuff online I think, if you can get around the fact that you need to be in the uk.

We've qualified! :D

decisions wrote: »
    The bbc are showing their stuff online I think, if you can get around the fact that you need to be in the uk.

I could get around it (;)) but our internet is capped, and HD streams (in the event that they actually work) eat data.

Would've switched to the boxing myself anyway, but just would've been nice if they showed the last few canoe-ers instead of analysing Hannah's run (which could've been done later since there aren't any more Irish competitors today.

HON THE DARREN!

decisions wrote: »
    12th in the Olympics is a very good result for her.

Now it's boxing time.

I have no faith :P well done Hannah Craig!

O'Neill in serious trouble... :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

What even happened, why don't they show the score anymore?

Namlub wrote: »
    What even happened, why don't they show the score anymore?

They show it to the crowd after each round. Don't know why they changed it.

German a well deserved winner here. O'Neill boxed poorly in both fights. Fair play to him for coming back in the last round.

Every time I hear about Anthony Ogogo I just want Subway

Two Mexicans against eachother in the archery and they both have the same coach.

Craig about to go.

• Advertisement

Wasn't very fast but she still did amazing to make it to the final!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Anyone have a video of the Dressage horse throwing a hissy fit?
    Just to convince me that my bbz isnt the worst/doesnt have the worst timing for them..

deise_girl wrote: »
    Anyone have a video of the Dressage horse throwing a hissy fit?
    Just to convince me that my bbz isnt the worst/doesnt have the worst timing for them..

Joey. wrote: »

Hmm maybe a bit worse than anything herself does :pac:

Ah god, such a different world to have such a highly strung competition horse.. Possibly a stallion too?

deise_girl wrote: »
    Hmm maybe a bit worse than anything herself does :pac:

Ah god, such a different world to have such a highly strung competition horse.. Possibly a stallion too?

That's not even all of it! He reared a bit as well, David looked so disappointed after :( Nah I'm fairly sure it's a gelding, but there's nothing quite like a highly strung warmblood :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I actually can't watch dressage, it looks sort of cruel to the horses, I can't blame that one for acting out

Lawliet wrote: »
    I actually can't watch dressage, it looks sort of cruel to the horses, I can't blame that one for acting out

I've heard so many horror stories about how horses doing show events like Dressage and Jumping are treated that it always makes me kind of sad to watch them.

I'm sure the vast majority of horses are treated excellently, but whenever I'm watching it on TV I can't help but imagine the horse's inner monologue going:

"FFS, why can't I just eat some hay and go to sleep? Why do they insist on making me jump over this bloody red and white wall every day, and just when I get comfortable with it the make it higher? Bastards."

Bad enough that Lochte only came third in the backstroke, but Tyler Clary got gold?! Ugh.

Lawliet wrote: »
    On what basis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Mild obsession with women's weightlifting :o

Advertisement