Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C+H Thread of Olympic-y Goodness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

Camilla Speirs did very well in the Dressage with 47.60 penalty points. If Michael Ryan scores in the 40's later on, the team will have a very good score going into the cross country tomorrow. Will definitely be keeping an eye on them.

Score of 58.70 for Mark, currently lying in 55th. Never really expected a sub-50 score though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Ireland leading the sailing at the minute :D

Rheinisch did really well too, finishing 6th, ahead of the four top ranked!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

this year's olympic logo looks like Lisa Simpson giving head. Just thought I should throw that out there.

If I was the London Olympics organizer I'd have changed the logo years ago. Its embarrassingly bad and has been the constant but of jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Really enjoyed watching the womens team gymnastics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Luno wrote: »

giggity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Luno wrote: »

giggity

Volleyball.. My God..

Volleyball.. My God..

I would watch it but the remote is too far away. I'm not keen on the canoing :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Eoin Rheinsich qualifies for the semi-final. His first run was pretty decent. Would be great to see him improve on it in the semis midweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Do you guys follow stuff properly? Like knowing a bit of background info and kinda hoping one person in particular wins or anything...? 'Cos all I do is watch sports that I think look vaguely interesting and then flick when I get bored e.g. I am now watching water polo. Obviously I'd support an Irish person if I had actually watched any of them compete yet but that's it really. I don't know anyone's names or anything like that, I'd probably follow some males if they were easy on the eyes though. But yerra like I wouldn't be able to discuss anything really, except maybe the odd comment such as 'Wow Usain Bolt is really fast' or 'water polo looks like fun'. Oh well.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Slow Show wrote: »
    Do you guys follow stuff properly? Like knowing a bit of background info and kinda hoping one person in particular wins or anything...? 'Cos all I do is watch sports that I think look vaguely interesting and then flick when I get bored e.g. I am now watching water polo. Obviously I'd support an Irish person if I had actually watched any of them compete yet but that's it really. I don't know anyone's names or anything like that, I'd probably follow some males if they were easy on the eyes though. But yerra like I wouldn't be able to discuss anything really, except maybe the odd comment such as 'Wow Usain Bolt is really fast' or 'water polo looks like fun'. Oh well.

In general I tend to do the same, just watch random crap. But I've found in the Archery, which is the sport I've watched most of, I tend to support teams like Korea and Taipei. IIRC there's a guy doing archery that is legally blind, so I'll be rooting for him in the singles if he's still around. (or if he even exists, must look into that :P)

And of course the boxing. Been following some of the Irish lads for years now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

New WR in the women's 100 fly, set by Dana Vollmer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Missed it all today, stupid family gatherings.

Chloe Magee in the badminton on RTÉ now. Just taken the first set 21-17.

:)

EDIT: And takes the 2nd set and the match. Excellent performance, even though her opponent wasn't exactly up to her standard. Has a decent shot of getting out of the group now. Next game on Tuesday I believe.

Bill O'Herilihy: "When I was growing up, badminton was a considered a Protestant game." #thisiswhyiwatchrte

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Bill O'Herilihy: "When I was growing up, badminton was a considered a Protestant game." #thisiswhyiwatchrte

+1 on this, they are so bad its funny.

Great boxing from Nolan in the 1st round and it's 11 - 6 after the 2nd.

Nolan faded a lot in the final round but holds out to win 14 - 8. Not too sure about the scoring in the last round I think it should have been closed imo.

Adam Nolan becomes the third Irish boxer to proceed into the Last 16. Good first two rounds, but he got sloppy in the third and took some heavy shots. Will need to work on that since he seemed very close to knockout territory if the Ecuadorian got a few more in.

Final Score: 14-8

decisions wrote: »
    Nolan faded a lot in the final round but holds out to win 14 - 8. Not too sure about the scoring in the last round I think it should have been closed imo.

Scoring was definitely dodgy in that last round. Thought the Ecuadorian got at least 3 or 4 shots in...

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Scoring was definitely dodgy in that last round. Thought the Ecuadorian got at least 3 or 4 shots in...

Should have been more like 14-11 ish.

I thought the scoring as peculiar for the last round but I suppose I'm not complaining, enjoyed watching Nolan :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Giving the Ecuador guy two points for the last round was scandalous in fairness. That means he only got points for his clean uppercut and the left clean to Nolan's face. I counted at least 5 punches by him that were worthy of points. Still not complaining good results. Nolan is a talented lad. Could be the dark horse for us.

So Day 2 draws to a close.

All in all, a pretty good day for the Irish team:
    • Our sailors put in a strong performance in the first two races and are in a strong position to power on over the next few days.
    • Rheinisch had a decent run, and while I don't think he's quite up there at the medal end of things, I reckon he has a good shot of getting to the final.
    • Nolan boxed well, if not outstandingly. Reckon we got away with one here, but we've been screwed over by referees in the Olympics before so we'll just call it even!
    • Chloe Magee started off the group with a win, although her opponent was nowhere near good enough to pose a realistic challenge.

With only a few negatives:
    • Our swim team were some way off the pace. Most disappointing was Gráinne Murphy, but we can at least hold out hope that she'll perform better in the 800M which is her preferred event.
    • The eventing team performed as expected in the Dressage. Would have hoped for a little better, but at least we're moving onto segments that we can realistically do well in.

On to Day 3, and major good vibes to Dodge in the Sports Forum for this post.
    Dodge wrote: »
    Swimming
    10:43 – 200 Individual Medley – Heat 2, Lane 7 – Sycerika McMahon
    (Semi at 20:43 if she qualifies)

Sailing
    12:00 Men’s 49er, Race 1 – Ryan Seaton/Matt McGovern
    12:00 Men’s Laser, Race 1 – James Espey
    12:10 Women’s Laser Radial, Race 1 - Annalise Murphy

Eventing – Cross Country
    12:46 Michael Ryan with Ballylynch Adventure

Sailing
    13:00 Men’s 49er, Race 2 – Ryan Seaton/Matt McGovern
    13:30 Men’s Laser, Race 2 – James Espey
    13:40 Women’s Laser Radial, Race 2 - Annalise Murphy

Eventing – Cross Country
    13:42 Aoife Clarke with Master Crusoe

Sailing
    14:10 Men’s Star, Race 3 – Peter O’Leary/David Burrows

Badminton
    14:15 - Mens Group Match - Scott Evans v Dan Lin (China)

Canoe Slalom
    14.40 – Women’s K1 – Qualifier Run 1 – Hannah Craig

Eventing – Cross Country
    14:42 Joseph Murphy with Electric Cruise
    15:46 Camilla Speirs with Portersize Just A Jiff

Sailing
    15:50 Men’s Star, Race 4 – Peter O’Leary/David Burrows

Eventing – Cross Country
    16:40 Mark Kyle with Coolio

Canoe Slalom
    16:45 – Women’s K1 – Qualifier Run 2 – Hannah Craig

I think the only other thing I'm interested in watching tomorrow apart from the Irish competitors is the Archery Individual competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Gonna miss all the best stuff during the week (swimming!) because I'm working from 6 to 10. Sky Plus would be reeealllly handy right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Namlub wrote: »
    Gonna miss all the best stuff during the week (swimming!) because I'm working from 6 to 10. Sky Plus would be reeealllly handy right now...

If it makes you feel any better, you can't record anything with Sky Plus unless it's on one of the normal BBC channels. I remember watching the swimming at some point today and the two commentators had a tiff of some sort and not being able to rewind was devastating. :( But yeah, working loads this week so I feel your pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Some of the athletes are really hot..

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AvAv

Michael Ryan was just eliminated for falling at one of the very last fences :(

Some of the athletes are really hot..

Yeah, it's in the mid-20's over there at the moment I believe so no wonder they're hot...
    AvAv wrote: »
    Michael Ryan was just eliminated for falling at one of the very last fences :(

Sickening. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Olympic Handball actually looks like an incredibly fun game to play.

Hannah Craig qualifies for the a K1 semi final in two days time.

• Advertisement

The Brits just got a silver in the men's gymnastics team event!!

Stunning performance, was shouting for them on the last event and I'm not one to support the Brits.

Edit: there is an appeal from the Japanese which could put GB down to bronze and put Ukraine out of the medals.

Oh and China won

Advertisement