Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C+H Thread of Olympic-y Goodness

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Tough fight. Second round was decisive, with O'Neill going 6 points up. The Nigerian a tricky opponent, but Darren a worthy winner here. Progresses to the Last 16 of the Middleweights.

Final Score: 15 - 6

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Anyone know when Katie Taylors first fight is actually? I only have mobile access and the website is pretty much impossible on it!

She got a bye into the Quarter Finals. Her first fight is the 6th of August at 2:30pm.

We won't know who she's facing until the day before, when USA's Underwood takes on GB's Jonas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

No joy for Ireland in the Road Race. Joseph Murphy scored a 55.60 in the Dressage, which isn't bad. Hopefully one or both of the competitors tomorrow do well to add to Aoife Clark's good score.

Nothing left for the Irish today but I'll be watching the Men's 400M Medley Final in swimming later on, cmon Phelps!

The Archery is actually deadly. If you can, watch it on BBC Red Button or BBCO11. USA just knocked out Korea in a dramatic and tense match. On to the second semi final now between Italy and Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Pity about the cycling, thought GB or Germany would have put up a bigger fight to pull back the break to the péloton than they did for Cav and Greipel, and that someone would have pushed on from the breakaway to catch Vinokourov and Urán in the last 5k. Realistically the Irish men never had a hope without getting in a break. Pity about Cancellaro falling as well, he was one of the strongest in the leading group and would have had a crack at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Watched a bit of handball there, a lot better than the Irish version, sorry lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Gutted for Cancellara, I thought out of the group in the break he had the best chance to take it. The Irish lads were very disappointing just sat at the back all race.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

So close in the mens archery :eek:

So close in the mens archery :eek:

Some finale! Feel sorry for the US, they worked so hard to close the gap.

Happy S. Korea at least got the bronze.

Come on Phelps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Phelps outside the medals in 4th. Lochte wins gold.

Great swim from Lochte

The Brit faded in the 100 fly, another Brit in the 2nd semi.

Gandy has made the final from the 2nd semi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I find gymnastics fascinating! And my God, the male gymnasts are ridiculously built! :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I find gymnastics fascinating! And my God, the male gymnasts are ridiculously built! :O
    One of the Brazilians is insaaane, guess you need serious upper body strength for stuff like the rings though. I find it unattractive yet strangely mesmerising >_>

All in all, Day 1's been pretty good for the Irish team. John Joe Nevin looked convincing in his bout, and Darren O'Neill has plenty of potential.
    The Equestrian team put in a pretty decent performance, and hopefully can power on from it.
    Pity about the swimming and the road race.

Highlight of the day was the Archery for me. Some sport to watch. It's the one thing I've seen that I've thought "Y'know... I'd love to do that... maybe I'll give it a go!"

But moving on to Day 2...

All credit to Dan man over in the Sports Forum for putting together this list of Irish competitors tomorrow.

Dan man wrote: »
    SWIMMING:

Heat times subject to change:

c10:02 Women's 100m Backstroke, Heat 2/6 - Melanie Nocher

c10:50 Women's 100m Breastroke, Heat 4/6 - Sycerika McMahon

c11:46 Women's 400m Freestyle, Heat 4/5 - Grainne Murphy

EQUESTRIAN:
    11:52 Individual/Team Eventing, Dressage - Camilla Speirs/Portersize Just A Jiff

SAILING:
    13:30 Men's Star, Race 1 - Peter O'Leary/David Burrows

15:10 Men's Star, Race 2 -Peter O'Leary/David Burrows

CANOE SLALOM:
    14:49 Men's K1 Slalom, Qualification, Run 1 - Eoin Rheinisch

EQUESTRIAN:
    15:10 Individual/Team Eventing, Dressage - Mark Kyle/Coolio

CANOE SLALOM:
    17:06 Men's K1 Slalom, Qualification, Run 2 - Eoin Rheinisch

BADMINTON:
    20:17 Women's Singles, Preliminary Group Stage - Chloe Magee v Hadia Hosny (Egypt)

BOXING:
    22:15 Men's Welterweight, Round of 32 - Adam Nolan v Carlos Sanchez Esatcio (Ecuador)

Will be tuning in to the boxing, canoeing and Equestrian for definite to see how they get on. I've high hopes for Rheinisch.

Other than that, there's more Archery tomorrow, and I doubt I'll be the only one that has that earmarked to watch following today's fun and games. It's the Women's Team event tomorrow, starting at 9:00am.

In cycling, the Women's Road Race kicks off at noon, so definitely worth a watch.

Our swimmers tomorrow will have tough runs, the qualifying times of some of their opponents are well below theirs. Eoin Rheinisch could have a good shot at the Slalom. I'm looking forward to seeing Chloe Magee in the badminton later on in the evening as I've met her and seen her play, but the Asian countries dominate the game, I can't see either of our players advancing too far. Her opponent tomorrow is ranked below her in the world rankings, but after the group stages it won't be easy.

Besides all the Irish competitors I'll be watching the Gymnastics, there's some synchronised diving on tomorrow (Women's 3M), Rowing and Water Polo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Even though I used to do it and I know how impressive they all are, I still find rowing really boring to watch. Yay for more gymnastics though!

I'm a bit confused about the swimming today, a few reports, including one on the official Olympics page, have said that Phelps is swimming today in the 4x100m Freestyle Relay. This race isn't included on Phelps schedule, and he's not on the team list on the Olympics site for the heats this morning, so I think they're mixing it up with the 4x100m Medley Relay on Friday. Either way I'll try to tune in, being at work is not really facilitating my Olympics obsession :(

In better news, this time tomorrow I'll be in the airport on the way to London!!

Gráinne Murphy's swim was rather disappointing, even taking into consideration the 400m isn't her forte.

Nothing really interesting going on this morning bar the road race. Will be waiting for Eoin Rheinisch before I flick back over.

• Advertisement

No luck for swimmers this morning. None of them were anywhere near the qualifying times.

Camilla Speirs did very well in the Dressage with 47.60 penalty points. If Michael Ryan scores in the 40's later on, the team will have a very good score going into the cross country tomorrow. Will definitely be keeping an eye on them.

Canoeing has begun on RTÉ. Onto the 3rd competitor, Rheinisch competes sixth.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Canoeing has begun on RTÉ. Onto the 3rd competitor, Rheinisch competes sixth.

I think this is one of the most entertaining sports to watch, I'm just fascinated by it! I want a go! :P

I think this is one of the most entertaining sports to watch, I'm just fascinated by it! I want a go! :P

I've been terrified of canoes ever since we went to UL on our 6th class school tour and we went canoeing on the Shannon and my canoe flipped and I got trapped in it... :(

I like watching other though! :P

Solid performance by Rheinisch. Real shame about the penalty. Would have been a really fast time if not for that. :(

Nice one Eoin. He's currently leading, I think the top 15 qualify so hopefully he can hang in there!

I've been terrified of canoes ever since we went to UL on our 6th class school tour and we went canoeing on the Shannon and my canoe flipped and I got trapped in it... :(

I like watching other though! :P

Solid performance by Rheinisch. Real shame about the penalty. Would have been a really fast time if not for that. :(

The guy who just got 202 in penalties...what did he do?!?!

The guy who just got 202 in penalties...what did he do?!?!

:eek:

I step outside for one minute and miss that? :(

GAH! RTÉ cutting coverage to go back to studio and talk to Tracey Piggott and some old guy. Why?

:eek:

I step outside for one minute and miss that? :(

GAH! RTÉ cutting coverage to go back to studio and talk to Tracey Piggott and some old guy. Why?

I saw him with 50 penalties almost at the start. Then customers arrived so I didn't see any of the rest of it. I suppose after 100 points or so you'd be tempted to give up and just plough through the rest of the course!

Our sailors just finished 2nd in Race 1. Excellent result, they were almost at the back for the first half of the race.

RTE's online coverage have shocked me by showing every event! Thought I'd be stuck with all this studio nonsense all day too.

Rheinisch knocked off top spot by a 39 year old? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

this year's olympic logo looks like Lisa Simpson giving head. Just thought I should throw that out there.

Advertisement