Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C+H Thread of Olympic-y Goodness

• 28-07-2012 12:07am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So now that the Opening Ceremony is over, what events are everyone looking forward to? Ireland's best medal hopes?

Will be watching the boxing as much as possible, Billy Walsh and the other coaches are some legends for getting our team to the standard they're at at the moment. Reckon Katie Taylor is our best shot at a Gold, although her draw is fairly difficult, with the likelihood being that if she's going to win, she'll have beaten all of the best boxers in the world.

Other than that I'm mainly going for random stuff like Archery and Shooting and the like. Probably watch a bit of the Swimming and Marathon as well.

Links:
    Full Schedule: http://www.london2012.com/schedule-and-results/day=28-july/all-day.html
    24 BBC Olympic Channels on Sky/FreeSat (HD and SD options): http://www.tvtrade.ie/blog/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Ooh, excellent thread idea! :D

I think Katie Taylor is our best hope for a medal. I would really love if she did well, her achievements have made her one of the best sportspeople Ireland has ever had, but I don't think she gets the recognition she should. She won't have an easy time of it but I'm really looking forward to her matches, I like watching boxing, even more so if there's an Irish boxer in there!

Eoin Rheinisch is in the canoeing slalom again this year. I watched him when he came 4th in 2008, the canoeing and rowing are some of my favourite ones to watch, the slalom especially is really good!

Ireland have an entrant in the Mens Gymnastics this year too, Kieran Behan. I tend to watch most of the gymnastics anyway, having an Irish entrant will make it all a bit more exciting.

Not sure about medal hopes, we have quite a few in cycling and the equestrian events that could come up with something. Wouldn't hold out much hope for athletics/swimming, but I'll probably watch anything with an Irish competitor in it anyway!

I'd love to watch as much of the Olympics as possible, but when I'm over in London if we don't go to anything I'll just end up watching whatever they show on the big screens and catch up on the other stuff later on. The ones I usually watch are swimming, diving, artistic gymnastics, boxing, canoeing, rowing and all types of cycling, and then watch whatever highlights of the rest are shown. I rarely watch the Athletics, never really had an interest in it.

Have I mentioned...I love the Olympics? :D

Men's 400m Medley (Swimming) heats just finished up. Seriously close race...in the final heat, 5 swimmers finished within 1 second of eachother, putting them all through to the final, leaving Michael Phelps as the last qualifier :eek: Hoping Phelps can pull it out of the bag later on, I don't think he was pushing himself too hard there.

Irish competitors today: Daniel Martin, David McCann and Nicholas Roche in the road race (currently on), Kieran Behan in Gymnastics at 11, Lisa Kearney in Judo at 11, Barry Murphy in swimming at 12, Sunita Puspure in Rowing at 1.30, John Joe Nevin (2.15) and Darren O'Neill (5.15) in Boxing, and the Irish Dressage Team on at 10.32, 12.54 and 4.04.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Great thread idea :)

I'm really looking forward to all the events now! When the Olympics are on I always wish I was an athlete there. They're all just so impressive! Wish I'd trained for one of these events since I was a kid. I'm 19 now and I do make the starting team in Junior B Hurling. Is it definitely too late? :P But anyway, I guess that's what they mean when they call the Olympics inspiring... It's true! They make you want to do some kick-ass stuff!

I'm not sure about our medal hopes because to be honest I don't know many of the athletes! Katie Taylor stands out, of course. The long distance walker (whose wife is a short distance runner - don't know their names) apparently came 6th and 8th in the last two Olympics, which isn't bad! It'll be interesting to see how they all get on! There are 65 of them after all!

(I think..!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm not going to watch any of the events, I'll just wait on updates from QoL, they seem consistent and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

That nice pool is seriously giving me an urge to go swimming... Must pop into the UL olympic-sized pool sometime soon. :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm not going to watch any of the events, I'll just wait on updates from QoL, they seem consistent and reliable.

I moved off in search of other Olympic threads since C&H seemed to be asleep :pac:

But here's a quick summary of the morning:

Barry Murphy - 100m Breaststroke, finished with a 1:01:57, putting him last in his heat, and not a good enough time to qualify.

Kieran Behan - Gymnastics, had a good floor routine up to the final 2 jumps where he stumbled and then fell. Currently on the vault...no results as yet, any gymnastics coverage just focuses on 1 event of the 5 at any time so I doubt we'll see him live. Apparently he qualified for all 5 events but due to injury he is only competing in floor and vault.

Lisa Kearney - Judo, got beaten in the first round by a Chinese lady.

Equestrian - We have 5 in the team event, only Michael Ryan has gone so far in the Dressage with a score of 60.20 (lowest is currently 46.10) but since only 3 of the 5 scores count towards the team, there's hope yet! Next 2 today are at 12.54 and 16.04.

Cycling - We have 3 in the road race which has been on since 10 this morning. Currently in 60th, 64th and 115th place, at around the 90km mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Is it just me or does this judo look really like a fight between children, with one afraid to actually punch the other so they resort to just grabbing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Katie Taylor boxes in the same club as my boyfriend's brother. I've seen her boxing at tiny little charity nights that he was fighting at. For the town she's from I hope she wins, there's so much fuss being made, it'd be nice for someone from Bray to be in the headlines for something good!

/random thoughts.

I'm not going to be home until the 8th of august so unfortunately I'm going to miss most of the games.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Is it just me or does this judo look really like a fight between children, with one afraid to actually punch the other so they resort to just grabbing?

I used to do Judo, but yes, I agree wholeheartedly. It all looks rather silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AvAv

Great thread!

Excited for the Equestrian events, cant find anywhere showing them though :mad:

When are they showing the diving?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Anyone else watching the cycling?

AvAv wrote: »
    Great thread!

When are they showing the diving?

If you have BBC on Sky, press the red button and you get access to all the events that are on now. Diving doesn't start til tomorrow, and then its on until the 11th of August.

Aoife Clarke (Dressage) had an excellent score of 48.90, putting her in 7th place individually at the minute. As a team, Ireland aren't really anywhere at the moment due to the earlier score but we still have 3 to go.
    decisions wrote: »
    Anyone else watching the cycling?

Yup! A few people are lucky they aren't getting their toes run over, you'd think they'd have the cop on to get out of the way!! Early days yet, just over half way through.

Great thread!

Excited for the Equestrian events, cant find anywhere showing them though

Bbc red button? Or a sat dish of any kind?

If you have a sat dish you can pick up the olympic channels.

Anyone else think the opening ceremony was crap?

Bbc red button? Or a sat dish of any kind?

If you have a sat dish you can pick up the olympic channels.

Anyone else think the opening ceremony was crap?
    If you have BBC on Sky, press the red button and you get access to all the events that are on now. Diving doesn't start til tomorrow, and then its on until the 11th of August.

Aoife Clarke (Dressage) had an excellent score of 48.90, putting her in 7th place individually at the minute. As a team, Ireland aren't really anywhere at the moment due to the earlier score but we still have 3 to go.

Yup! A few people are lucky they aren't getting their toes run over, you'd think they'd have the cop on to get out of the way!! Early days yet, just over half way through.

Thanks guys! UPC unfortunately, so ill be relying on ye! :)

Yup! A few people are lucky they aren't getting their toes run over, you'd think they'd have the cop on to get out of the way!! Early days yet, just over half way through.[/Quote]

I'm worried about Nico, it's not like him to ride at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

Great thread!

This any help? I can't find much either :(
    http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/olympics2012/7630/313442.html

Joey. wrote: »
    This any help? I can't find much either :(
    http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/olympics2012/7630/313442.html

At least they definitely show the show jumping and such.

Thanks again!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

jumpguy wrote: »

Haha, I had just logged on to comment about the Judo. Found it oddly entertaining, but yeah, it reminded me of my fighting "style" from National School when we used to have organised fights... :P
    Great thread!

I'm pretty sure BBC are streaming everything on their site as well. You may have to use nefarious means to bypass the fact they only let UK viewers watch, but it's easily done if you're that way inclined.

Watched a bit of the Equestrian this morning. Hadn't a clue what was going on! It just seemed to be a horse walking around in circles in a pen, and then the judges put up a score... :P

Also watched a good bit of the Fencing. Have to say, the BBC commentators are fairly decent. When there was a lull in the action they broke down all the rules while simultaneously commentating on the fight.

My picks for the rest of the day:
    Boxing - Now on BBCO7, and at 8:25 on BBCO9.
    Shooting - 3:25 on BBCO10
    Archery - 2:55 on BBC011

Sanita Puspore (Women's Single Sculls) started off well, was in the first/second place position for the first half, but fell back to third by the end of the race. As far as I can tell, since there were 28 boats in this section, the top 4 from each heat go through to the quarter finals which are on Tuesday.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Watched a bit of the Equestrian this morning. Hadn't a clue what was going on! It just seemed to be a horse walking around in circles in a pen, and then the judges put up a score... :P

My picks for the rest of the day:
    Archery - 2:55 on BBC011

Not gonna lie...thats pretty much it. :D

Do we have anybody in the Archery?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Not gonna lie...thats pretty much it. :D

Do we have anybody in the Archery?

I don't think so. Just a sport which fascinates me.

John Joe Nevin just stepping into the ring now. BBCO7 or RTE.

Nevin eases into the Round of Last 16 of the Men's Bantamweights. Outclassed his Danish opponent throughout.

Final Score: 21 - 6

Woo John Joe Nevin! Trying to catch bits at work, internet connection was so slow I was getting glimpses of the game every so often, then it sorted itself out just in time to watch the agonising couple of minutes waiting for the results. There's also no sound on this computer, which makes watching things kinda weird. Good scoreline though :)

Hopefully I'll get to see some of the action in the 3.15 match, not just the result! I'd like to see the finish of the road race too.

Handball is a wired sport!

Handball is a wired sport!

The handball in the Olympics is way different to real handball AFAIK. If it were proper handball we'd probably have a decent shot at medals in it.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The handball in the Olympics is way different to real handball AFAIK. If it were proper handball we'd probably have a decent shot at medals in it.

Its basically soccer using just your hands, as opposed to the Irish game of handball which is squash without a racket.

Just a few km left in the Men's Cycling Road race. They're grouped quite closely together but I can't see any of the Irish coming forward at this stage unfortunately.

Also, RTE coverage has just switched to Darren O'Neill (boxing) coming out.

Darren O'Neill in the ring now for his bout against his Nigerian opponent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Anyone know when Katie Taylors first fight is actually? I only have mobile access and the website is pretty much impossible on it!

Advertisement