Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Have just been given a gift of "when god was a rabbit", never heard of it. Worth a read? Doesn't sound like my usual choice.

Not bad at all IMO ... probably would give it about a 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Engage, by Paul Kimmage. The story of an English rugby player who breaks his neck in a scrum. Compelling stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

mattjack wrote: »
    The Rape of Nanking, thank Jebus I,m not Chinese or Japanese

Made into a recent film!!

"Beware of Small States - Lebanon , Battleground of the Middle East" by David Hirst

Just read about the slaughter in the refugee camps of Sabra and Shatila organised by the Israelis. Fairly sickening stuff.

Always been interested in Lebanon and its somewhere I'ld love to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

Almost done with: "The Perfect Storm" - Sebastian Junger

Just started: "Quench the moon" - Walter Macken

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

crfcaio wrote: »
    1984, by George Orwell, this Monday - so far, so good!
    This. Very interesting read, indeed.

And 'The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Nighttime'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Just about to get started on An Idiot Abroad by Karl Plinkington in prepartion for a 2 hour coach trip down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The Lord Of The Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein. Needless to say I am enjoying it immensely!

I've always wanted to read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Catch 22
    It's funny and all and very cleverly written in places but I doubt it'll make my top 10 list at this rate (one third of the way through)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 xeiramnnax

'The Better Angels of Our Nature - The Decline of Violence in History and it's Causes' by Steven Pinker. I only started it a few days ago, but very interesting look back at different Societies in history so far.

A beautiful book I just finished a few weeks ago, is 'The God of Small Things' by Arundahti Roy.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, in order. (Re-reading) Loving them all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter -- it's a really interesting and unique story so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Lisey's Story by Stephen King

Was on the point of giving up on it for most of the first 150 pages but I soldiered on and now can hardly put it down. Gripping and chilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I've got two books on the go at the moment, A tale of two cities, also reading a book on international law. I've got A storm of swords ready to read next.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

'Hollywood' by Charles Bukowski.

Each of his novels a treasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Blue Blood by Edward Conlon. Its an autobiography about his life as an NYC cop for the last 20 or so years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

The Hunger Games trilogy - I'm on Book 2 "Catching Fire" at the moment. Easy Reading and lots of paradoxes in it. Would definitely recommed.

"On The Road" by Jack Keraouc (sp?) is next on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

The Night Eternal by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan, it's the third book in a series the first two being The Strain and The Fall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Under the dome- Stephen king
    A cold day in paradise-Steve Hamilton

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Blue Blood by Edward Conlon. Its an autobiography about his like as an NYC cop for the last 20 or so years.

What do you think of it? I couldn't get into it and ended up giving up on it despite it being highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm reading Karl Marx again, inspired mostly from my recent read of Hitch-22, Christopher Hitchens autobiography. It's the best biography I've read - beautifully written, informative and entertaining.

Then into some sci-fi with Alastair Reynolds novel Chasm City or something historical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    What do you think of it? I couldn't get into it and ended up giving up on it despite it being highly recommended.

I'm about 2/3rds of the way into it atm. Overall I like it and I wouldn't normally be a fan of biogs. I like the police procedural aspects of it his portrayal of what the projects were like during and after the crack wars was interesting, when its him and the team out making arrests or dealing with informants the book rattles along.

However I don't particularly like the parts where he interrupts his own narrative to talk about his uncles or grandfather or whatever, or to tell the real story of the cops that the French Connection film is based on. I guess he's trying to give some context as to why being a policeman in NYC is difficult but I felt it dragged down the pace of the book, he could have easily trimmed out 10-20% and made it a better read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Manchester's Finest by David Hall.

Very well written and a touching emotional memoir by the author.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭Ficheall

"So Long and Thanks for all the Fish" again.
    Possibly the greatest love story ever told.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

Just finished reading berserk in the antartic by david mercy. Good read bout a guy who hitches a ride to antartica on a 27 foot sailboat owned by a mad norweigan. Just started read Racing through the dark by david millar

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

keano_afc wrote: »
    Engage, by Paul Kimmage. The story of an English rugby player who breaks his neck in a scrum. Compelling stuff.

I read that over the course of the weekend about a month back. Brilliantly written by Kimmage, and unbelievable courage by Hampson to share pretty much every thought which went through his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 xeiramnnax

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Under the dome- Stephen king
    A cold day in paradise-Steve Hamilton

Under the Dome is a great book. I couldn't put that down when I read it. Recommend to anyone!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

The game of thrones series.

Really quite brilliant.

For season 1/2 i was behind the series, but now there's a pause before season 3, i have a chance to get ahead.

Having read the books, its amazing how much they are keeping to the books. Very little has been changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King the other day. Very good, definitely the best of his "recent" novels that I've read. Wasn't ready for SK withdrawal so reading Just After Sunset now (book of short stories).

Not sure what to go for next. I'm thinking The Hunger Games books. I started watching Game of Thrones recently and love it, so might give the books a try. Although I struggle with the complex family trees and names in the TV show so might be the same story with the book :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Not sure what to go for next. I'm thinking The Hunger Games books. I started watching Game of Thrones recently and love it, so might give the books a try. Although I struggle with the complex family trees and names in the TV show so might be the same story with the book :o

The books are much easier to understand, much better as well (not saying the TV series is bad, it just can't compare to the books in terms of plotting and characterisation)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    The books are much easier to understand, much better as well (not saying the TV series is bad, it just can't compare to the books in terms of plotting and characterisation)

Might give them a try then, would be handy not having to pause it every 20 minutes to say "Wait, what family is he with again?" :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement