Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Breaking night by Liz Murray

Gave "when god were a rabbit" a go. Nice book. Just...nice :) worth the easy read.

Right. Going to try Under the Dome one last time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Gave "when god were a rabbit" a go. Nice book. Just...nice :) worth the easy read.

Right. Going to try Under the Dome one last time!

Im struggling with under the dome myself.....

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Im struggling with under the dome myself.....

I don't know why I haven't been able to get into it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I dont know either, Im switching between that and Scarpetta, and I dread picking it up....really disappointed. Hopefully it picks up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

syndeyfife wrote: »

I dont know either, Im switching between that and Scarpetta, and I dread picking it up....really disappointed. Hopefully it picks up!

Didn't like under the dome it was boring, I didn't like scarpetta either it was to in-depth in technical detail, too much detail not enough of a story line. I've sworn never ever to read another of her books again. Karin slaughter is better...

The passage is good by Justin Cronin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Reading Galapogos by Kurt Vonnegut. Enjoying it as I do all of his...he has a unique style (telling you plot in advance of it happening:))

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

I'm currently reading Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay. Love his books, always keep your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Right now I'm reading 'I Left My Tent in San Francisco' by Emma Kennedy. Great travel book, second only to Bill Bryson's inimitable writing style when detailing his travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Expect a few Maeve Binchy titles to appear here over the next days!

R.I.P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

I've picked up Pure by Andrew Miller (again)

Set in Paris in 1785. It's about a young engineer asked by the king to demolish an old cemetery which is overflowing and causing health problems to locals.

It should be gripping, it's just not gripping me., but I've bought it so I sure as heck am going to read it!.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

FRANK - The making of a legend, by James Kaplan.

Good start, going well so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

New Karin Slaughter - Criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Fight Club - Chuck Paluhniuk

Enjoying this immensely, unsurprising as it's one of my favourite films. Picked it up last night and was half way through before I knew it (sure sign of a great book)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Mila 18 - Leon Uris

This wouldn't be the type of book i'd normally read but it was recommended by a friend and i'm really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

'The Manual of Detection' by Jedediah Berry

It's been described as aptly as 'the kind of mannered fantasy that might result of Wes Anderson were to adapt Kafka'.
    I think of it as the surreal, noir detective story that I wish Terry Gilliam would make his next movie project as it's part dystopian 'Brazil', part Raymond Chandler novel and part Christopher Nolan's 'Inception'.

The novel is also steeped German expressionist film references which makes the novel fun for movie buffs, it particularly references 'The Cabinet of Dr. Calligari' (who's carnival has mysteriously arrived back in town at the same time the detective disappeared.)

Plot description from Amazon:
    For Charles Unwin, the reluctant hero in Jedediah Berry's eloquent and surreal first novel, The Manual of Detection, time is curiously stretched beyond recognition and dreams are labyrinthine and vulnerable to devious invasion. Mysterious femme fatales, surly criminals and singing somnambulants lurk around every corner, each offering more bizarre clues for Unwin who is trying to solve the murder of a famous detective so he can clear his own name and get his job back as a lowly and fastidious clerk at The Agency, a Kafka-esque organization that tracks down villains and protects the city's nocturnal secrets, for better or for worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

ruthloss wrote: »
    I've picked up Pure by Andrew Miller (again)

Set in Paris in 1785. It's about a young engineer asked by the king to demolish an old cemetery which is overflowing and causing health problems to locals.

It should be gripping, it's just not gripping me., but I've bought it so I sure as heck am going to read it!.
    I hadn't heard of this but I really like the premise and setting. Seems to get good enough reviews on amazon. Now I'm intrigued, despite your struggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Started on I, Partridge and so far it's fairly entertaining. Before that was reading Metro 2033 which was an interesting read and worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Kill Decision - Daniel Suarez

Great book so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

A song of ice and fire 4: A feast for crows. Only started these books about three weeks ago. They are excellent, I'd easily rate them better than Lord of the Rings. Love the show too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I hadn't heard of this but I really like the premise and setting. Seems to get good enough reviews on amazon. Now I'm intrigued, despite your struggles!

I absolutely loved Pure, would highly recommend it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

gutenberg wrote: »
    I absolutely loved Pure, would highly recommend it! :)

Im re-reading it for my second time, very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Started on I, Partridge and so far it's fairly entertaining. Before that was reading Metro 2033 which was an interesting read and worth a look.

I listened to the audiobook, as read by Alan himself. BACK OF THE NET.

Myself I'm reading The North Face of Soho by Clive James. Great stuff, but then anything by James usually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Terry Pratchett - Pyramids

Love him at the moment. I think he's ruined other authors for me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Life by Keith Richards

It is a miracle that the man is still alive....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Under the Dome was typical King, great for the first 600 pages, then he realises he has no way to end it so just lashes in the first thing that comes into his head, and fires it off to the publisher.

It was a decent enough read but the ending was laughable, even by his standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the cleaveland steamer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

the cleaveland steamer

Is that about some queer from Ohio?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Last book was 'A Life Too Short' about the German goalkeeper Robert Enke who committed suicide a few years back, great read, very sad story.

About 3/4 way through the Steve Jobs biography. He was a crazy character who managed to bring together great people to create great things. Its funny because Apple products never really appealed to me but now when I think about buying a macbook or ipad it doesn't seem so stupid as it used to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The Buttress of Windsor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement