Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Just read kill Alex cross, have the accident and the criminal left to read,

Haven't read any other James Pattersons books and I did enjoy.kill Alex cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

Anyone got any good reccomenfations for a good esy holiday read. Something not very taxing on the brain, maybe autobiography or crime/thriller type book
    anything by peter james gripping and a good holiday read after 1 book youl want to read them all good reading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Plumpynutt wrote: »
    Mr. Nice

A while since I read, amazing the stuff he got away with, must read it again sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

About a third of the way into 11/22/63 by Stephen King. It's my first King novel and I must say I can't put it down at the moment. I haven't enjoyed a fictional novel as much since I read Blue Horizon by Wilbur Smith. Brilliant read

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

American Psycho, It's fcuking terrifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

go tell it on the mountain by james baldwin its good

• Registered Users Posts: 27 conorkeating

Gulag by Anne Applebaum

I want to visit the Kolyma region

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Reading No logo by Naomi Klein and Mein Kamp at the min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

I'm reading The Sun In Splendour by Jean Plaidy for the second time.

It's about the marriage of Elizabeth Woodville and Edward the Fourth (the last of the Plantagenet Kings of England. Great read (if you are 'into' that period of time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aquila wrote: »
    Plato The Republic
    Heavy going but bloody hell the sheer power of thought that guy had.
    Collie D wrote: »
    How are you finding that? I was thinking of buying Macchiavelli's "The Prince" but was wondering if I'd struggle with something translated from 15th century Italian.
    It's OK, again can be heavy going in places, but defo worth a read. The two translations I read back in the day were well done.

In a bit of a WW2 mode the last week. All Hell Let Loose by max hastings. Basically the whole conflict in each theatre in one volume. He gets away with it too. From "the other side" Stuka Pilot by Hans Ulrich Rudel. Highest decorated serviceman on any side in WW2. They had to start inventing medals to give him after a while. Unrepentant Nazi, but fcuk me talk about having serious fcuking balls. Interesting to read about their interactions with the locals in Russia and how they saw it.

Also re-reading China Road by Rob Gifford. A journey along China's route 66 and through the various cultures and all that. Interesting insight. Also Celts by Frank Delaney and a book on cabinet making.

Usually have a couple of titles going at once. Never read fiction though. Never could get into it even as a kid. I think I've read only 3 fiction books in my life and they were for school. I'm wired funny or something.:confused:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

i've just bought part 2 of book 5 of the 'song of ice and fire' series (game of thrones). it's been my commuting read for the last couple of months. i'm actually not really looking forward to finishing it seeing as i know it could be years until the 6th book is out :(

dont know what i'll do with my time now - what an excellent read though! brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

This Child's Gonna Live - Sarah E Wright

Autobiography of a Geisha - Sayo Matsuda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Hypnotisören by Lars Kepler. An intriguing murder thriller and easy reading set in and around Stockholm.

It's been translated into English as "The Hypnotist":)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Ann and Barry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. Normally I love Murakami but I'm having to slog my way through this one. The plot is as far fetched as an M.Night Shamylan movie. Still I shall soldier on to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson.

Laugh out loud funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

''Why does E=mc2 (and why should we care)'' By Brian Cox and Jeff Foreshaw. Good book so far, only got it this morning though so can't say much but man Brian Cox has a great ability to explain things easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

chakotha wrote: »
    Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson.

Laugh out loud funny.

It's a great book - in fact I would recommend everything Bryson has written - Down Under and Walk In the Woods being his funniest. I really love his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Googled by David Auletta. Funilly enough its about google but im about to chuck it in the bin. Started off a decent read about how google ws founded and products but turns into how newspapers n tvs are ****ed by what google does

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭crfcaio

Finished Fahrenheit 451 last week, what a wonderful read!
    Picked up 1984, by George Orwell, this Monday - so far, so good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭crfcaio

Finished Fahrenheit 451 last week, what a wonderful read!
    Picked up 1984, by George Orwell, this Monday - so far, so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Atomised by Michel Houellebecq

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Real Life wrote: »
    Atomised by Michel Houellebecq

Brilliant. One of my favourite books. In fact I love everything by him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Has anyone read Wicked Girls by Alex Marwood? Read it in one day, totally compelling. I highly recommend, very well written and so disturbing. If anyone fancies a holiday read, or just a good book, read it. Very well written & a joy to read

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm reading all of the Sherlock Holmes novels and short stories. They're quite entertaining, although the quality does vary a lot. Hound of the Baskervilles is far and away the best so far.

Have just been given a gift of "when god was a rabbit", never heard of it. Worth a read? Doesn't sound like my usual choice.

triggs the autobiography of roy keanes dog.

just started, ok so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Downloaded 'Skag Boys' by Irvine Welsh earlier on,pretty good so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nomonlyadics

Been on and off reading "The Serial Killers: A Study in the Psychology of Violence" for the past year. Good book, I like it xD.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. A sci-fi epic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement