Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Just started the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. Got a great deal on the first four of the Game of Thrones books. Can't wait! Winter Summer is coming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

Just staring Bear Grylls autobiography, it's the first autobio I've got. So will have to see, I was intrigued to leard he climbed Mt. Everest after recovering from breaking his back in 3 places.

Also picked up 50 shades of grey to make up my own mind about all the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I read bear grills a few weeks back, it was a good read.

I've just read Abraham Lincoln vampire hunter, that too was good, not great but good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Truley wrote: »
    FanadMan wrote: »
    Lot of hype bout them - def not as brilliant as all the media say. Awful lot of txts/emails and they are really boring. Know it's supposed to be erotic literature but in my tiny opinion, it's a bit of mild sex and bondage with some poorly structured plot lines.

But hope you enjoy it more than me :)

I haven't read fifty shades but I was really intrigued when I first heard about it. However, I found I had reservations when I saw how massive it became, with people openly talking about it on facebook etc. The final straw was when I heard my mum talking about it! Turns out some of the Amazon reviews are as famous as the book.
    Thanks to the many other perturbed readers who have shared their own choices of the most annoyingly overused phrases in this masterpiece. Following up on their suggestions with my ever-useful Kindle search function, I have discovered that Ana says "Jeez" 81 times and "oh my" 72 times. She "blushes" or "flushes" 125 times, including 13 that are "scarlet," 6 that are "crimson," and one that is "stars and stripes red." (I can't even imagine.) Ana "peeks up" at Christian 13 times, and there are 9 references to Christian's "hooded eyes," 7 to his "long index finger," and 25 to how "hot" he is (including four recurrences of the epic declarative sentence "He's so freaking hot."). Christian's "mouth presses into a hard line" 10 times. Characters "murmur" 199 times, "mutter" 49 times, and "whisper" 195 times (doesn't anyone just talk?), "clamber" on/in/out of things 21 times, and "smirk" 34 times. Christian and Ana also "gasp" 46 times and experience 18 "breath hitches," suggesting a need for prompt intervention by paramedics. Finally, in a remarkable bit of symmetry, our hero and heroine exchange 124 "grins" and 124 "frowns"... which, by the way, seems an awful lot of frowning for a woman who experiences "intense," "body-shattering," "delicious," "violent," "all-consuming," "turbulent," "agonizing" and "exhausting" orgasms on just about every page.

I wonder how many times she bites her lip ?

That's got to be one if the highest recurring sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm reading The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett.

I've taken it upon myself to read his whole Discworld collection in order. It'll take me to the end of the year to do so I think.

Well worth the effort, they are very funny! Most TPs books are. Once you get into them you'll just keep picking them up as you go along. Soooo many recommendations, but Monstrous Regiment is my favourite one of them all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

I'm reading A Life Too Short, The Tragedy of Robert Enke.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Just downloaded 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Reviews are great, looking forward to getting stuck into a good page-turner after the disaster that was 50 Shades :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭MAR86

North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell (though i find her writing very similar to that of Jane Austen)

Just finished "A song of Ice and Fire" series - brilliant, can't wait for the next one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters

Have previously read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Dawn of the Dreadfuls and Dreadfully Ever After :D

I'm reading Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters at the moment too!

I find the Austen language a bit hard going (never liked her stuff) but I'm persevering because I like the gory bits!

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was excellent.

I have Jane Slayre lined up next. :D Jane Eyre is one of my favourite 19th century novels, so I'm looking forward to the gory take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

The Catcher in the Rye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Finished The Family by Mario Puzzo. Not a Mafia story but a fictional history of the Borgia Pope and his children. Very good, actually preferred it to the Godfather which I have also only recently finished and which is one of my favourite films.

Currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo and enjoying it. Have never really been into "classic literature" but will be picking up one or two more after finishing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

allydylan wrote: »
    Reading The Secret Scripture-Sebastian Barry. Finding it to be a bit of a struggle

We had this book in our book club last month. It got one of the highest scores of all. Personally I loved it, took a bit to get into it but, you need to pay attention to it as in the end when things are revealed you need to be able to relate to the earlier stuff. Enjoy it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 davidgrn

py2006 wrote: »
    Is it a difficult read?

No, it flies by.

I'm sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bookywook

Fifty Shades of Gray:

Terrible, terrible book! The grammar, spelling and editing are just appalling. I'm surprised Ana had any bottom lip left after all the biting she did!! I read somewhere that the author is really raking it in - a million dollars a week. Ah, the power of word of mouth marketing!

Oops, I really shouldn't have included so many exclamation marks in my post!!! Wow...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Finished reading the following in last couple of months.

Steve Jobs - Not sure what to think of him after reading the book. I was never into Apple, but according to the book, I would have hated to work with him. He is everything I wouldnt' want to be - yet he's the media's darling, rich and obviously brilliantly talented and amazingly clever! I don't know, I just really don't know! Worth reading as we would be talking about him for rest of our lives. 3.5/5

Born to Run - Chistopher McDougall (http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Christopher-McDougall/dp/0739383728)

An excellent book, if you are not into running. Goes in detail to show what you need to be able to be an ultra runner - and it's not latest nike's or energy bars either. I loved reading this. Author is genuinely into endurance sports and the people he introduces thru the book is nothing short of amazing. Great read. 4/5

Currently reading "Quantum theory can not hurt you" (not so sure - what the heck is 'decoherence'? I am lost already..!) and just started 'Nama-mia' (full of cliches, but I am trying to get past that mental block).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Coriander

Just finished 'A walk across the sun' by Corban Addison and have mixed opinions of it. I was hoping for some of the magic of books such as 'the Kite', 'the bookseller of Kabul' and 'a thousand splendid suns' but didn't quite find it. Otherwise it was a pretty good story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Bookywook wrote: »
    Fifty Shades of Gray:

Terrible, terrible book! The grammar, spelling and editing are just appalling. I'm surprised Ana had any bottom lip left after all the biting she did!! I read somewhere that the author is really raking it in - a million dollars a week. Ah, the power of word of mouth marketing!

Oops, I really shouldn't have included so many exclamation marks in my post!!! Wow...

+1! It's the worst piece of drivel I've ever read. I suspect Ana may be feeble minded what with her uttering oh my twenty million times throughout the book. It is also seriously unerotic and the author's description of a female orgasm (which happens every time incidentally after Christian's two fingers are inserted in the vagina for five seconds and swivelled) is more like an instruction pamphlet for a bread making machine than anything remotely passionate or hot. In fact I finished the book and came to the conclusion that the author knows a. nothing about decent sex and b. evidently isn't getting any!!!!

Merkin wrote: »
    +1! It's the worst piece of drivel I've ever read. I suspect Ana may be feeble minded what with her uttering oh my twenty million times throughout the book. It is also seriously unerotic and the author's description of a female orgasm (which happens every time incidentally after Christian's two fingers are inserted in the vagina for five seconds and swivelled) is more like an instruction pamphlet for a bread making machine than anything remotely passionate or hot. In fact I finished the book and came to the conclusion that the author knows a. nothing about decent sex and b. evidently isn't getting any!!!!

The book is so erotic that she can't refer to their genitals as anything more than "down there", "his length" or "my sex".

Also lol at the bit in bold :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Decoded by Jay Z. A lot of typical bullsh*t in there but still a very very good book.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

magztar wrote: »
    Bought 50 shades today..Gonna start it now :) Bought the trilogy today in Easons,Had a deal going.

50 shades of Sh1te is what I heard about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭8mv

We Need To Talk About Kevin I avoided this one for a long time as there was a lot of talk on daytime radio about it that put me off. I was wrong. This is a (so far, anyway) great book. I love the writing style and the langauge.

8mv wrote: »
    We Need To Talk About Kevin I avoided this one for a long time as there was a lot of talk on daytime radio about it that put me off. I was wrong. This is a (so far, anyway) great book. I love the writing style and the langauge.

I read that recently. It took me a while to get into, I actually got bored of it and stopped reading it for a couple of weeks when I was only about a quarter of the way in. But then when I got back into it again I couldn't put it down. The writing style can be a little pretentious for what the book is IMO, but the concept is very good, leading up to a great ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Started "Freedom" by Jonathan Franzen. Immediately gripped by the opening section. Looks like one that'll be hard to put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

8mv wrote: »

Great book but whatever you do, do not watch the movie !!!

Slattsy wrote: »

I've been meaning to download it since I finished the book. Is it crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Im reading "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick deWitt. Very good so far, an enjoyable western.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

"Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman.

It reveals so much about the way we think, how we process information, how we make mistakes and bad judgments without realising it - it's a real eye-opener, written by a psychologist who won the Nobel prize for Economics.

The basic premise is that human beings are much less rational that we believe, and the human mind is much less reliable than we believe. Essentially, our minds need to save energy - they can't expend energy thinking rationally about everything, and so have to make quick, energy-saving decisions. The book gives innumerable examples of the biases and errors which this thinking gives rise to - many of which are illuminating and throw a great deal of light on our behaviour. You will never think of yourself as a rational person ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Picked 'Ruinair' by Paul Kilduff in the second hand bookshop and all I can say is, thank God I didn't pay full price for it. It has to be the worst travel book of all time, full of laboured 'jokes' (Lootin Airport, get it, lootin!), the usual borderline racism about humourless Eastern European staff and who the hell calls the Euro 'yoyos'? As for the analysis of Ryanair's business model you'd find better in a quick read of wikipedia
    Awful book!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I've been meaning to download it since I finished the book. Is it crap?

It's terrible.

• Advertisement

It's terrible.

The reviews on IMDB are very positive (7.6 average rating). I'll have to see for myself :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement