Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Might give them a try then, would be handy not having to pause it every 20 minutes to say "Wait, what family is he with again?" :D

Cheat sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

I'm scared to read that...are there spoilers? I'm only up to S02E02!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Hey all,

Lots of talk on here about Stephen King, I've never read any of his stuff and since it gets such glowing reviews I figure I better start. Can anyone recommend a starting point? Was thinking of Cujo as the plot sounds interesting.

xeiramnnax wrote: »
    Under the Dome is a great book. I couldn't put that down when I read it. Recommend to anyone!
    :)

I've started in twice and cannot get into it for some reason. It's exactly the type of thing I should like. I love Stephen King. Might give it one last shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 xeiramnnax

I've started in twice and cannot get into it for some reason. It's exactly the type of thing I should like. I love Stephen King. Might give it one last shot.

It was my first King novel. I have a few more books on the go, and then I'll be back for another of his I think. Any suggestions? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

It doesn't even spoil anything for Season One as far as i can tell

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Lots of talk on here about Stephen King, I've never read any of his stuff and since it gets such glowing reviews I figure I better start. Can anyone recommend a starting point? Was thinking of Cujo as the plot sounds interesting.

Cujo is not regarded as one of his better books, but I really liked it because I found it so scary!

The Stand is his best book IMO, but it might be a bit daunting as it's very long.

I'd actually recommend Different Seasons to start out with. It's a book of 4 novellas (three of which were made into movies - The Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me and Apt Pupil). All really great stories.

It took me a long time to get into that book as well but once I persevered I really started enjoying it, some great characters. It was one of those books which I didn't really look forward to reading every night, and I'd only read a few pages before putting it down, but by a third of the way in I couldn't put it down.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    It doesn't even spoil anything for Season One as far as i can tell

Excellent, I'm going to print that out, my boyfriend will be delighted I won't be annoying him with questions :D Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

It's classic Stephen King, decent read. I was reading Duma Key but gave up half way through. Not much happened in the first half of the book, at all.

I'm reading A Canticle For Leibowitz. Another one of those sci-fi books divided up into distinct eras with different characters every time. Left me feeling kind of cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

xeiramnnax wrote: »
    It was my first King novel. I have a few more books on the go, and then I'll be back for another of his I think. Any suggestions? :)

as others have said, if you liked under the dome, you'll probably like the stand, it's long, but a real page turner. His latest one is great as well, 11/22/63 - similar feeling to under the dome, less horror, more weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I'm about 60% through Gone Girl

I wouldn't be a big reader in any way but I'm really enjoying this, a relatively newly married couple move back to the husbands hometown for him to look after his old parents, the marraige goes south and the wife goes missing one day. Some great twists and relevations throughout with exerpts from the missing wife's diary adding to the insight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm about 60% through Gone Girl

I wouldn't be a big reader in any way but I'm really enjoying this, a relatively newly married couple move back to the husbands hometown for him to look after his old parents, the marraige goes south and the wife goes missing one day. Some great twists and relevations throughout with exerpts from the missing wife's diary adding to the insight
    Sounds very different than the web mini series!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jazzzzy

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold.

Well, what can one say other than it really is about bones, lovely.

A bit gruesome but it's a good read all the same. Going to check out the film afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

tbh wrote: »
    as others have said, if you liked under the dome, you'll probably like the stand, it's long, but a real page turner. His latest one is great as well, 11/22/63 - similar feeling to under the dome, less horror, more weird.

11.23.63 is brilliant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Eyewitness - D-Day ,by John E Lewis

I picked up in a charity shop the other day which is a first edition copy and the story of the battle in the words of those who fought .

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

I picked up Baskerville by John O' Connell last week

A fictional thriller about how Arthur Conan Doyle came about writing The Hounds of the Baskervilles.

Boring enough so far, struggling to get into it despite being a big fan of Sherlock Holmes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Just finished reading "The Reversal" by Michael Connelly. And now I've just started "The Black Echo". It's his first book but I've never read it till now. Love his stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

jazzzzy wrote: »
    The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold.

Well, what can one say other than it really is about bones, lovely.

A bit gruesome but it's a good read all the same. Going to check out the film afterwards.

Terrible terrible film. I done know how Peter Jackson made something so bad.
    I started Chasm City by Reynolds. A kind of sci-fi thriller, the hunt for a killer in a domed city that has been hit by a plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm rereading PG Wodehouse at the moment. I'm currently on Code Of The Woosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

Just finished The Black House by Peter May. Fantastic read, really enjoyed it. Its about a murder mystery on a scottish island. Have the second book The Lewis Man ordered from Amazon its on the way now, cant wait to read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

Reading The Slap at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Taking a break from A Song of Ice and Fire and getting into some Cormac Mc Carthy, starting with No Country For Old Men.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

Dean09 wrote: »
    Just finished reading "The Reversal" by Michael Connelly. And now I've just started "The Black Echo". It's his first book but I've never read it till now. Love his stuff!

Ah brilliant I'm re-reading The Black Echo right now as I saw it for €6 on iBooks. "The Last Juror" by John Grisham is also on my re-reading list, and I really recommend it if you like Michael Connolly.

"The Trial" is my bus-book for the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

boblong wrote: »
    "The Last Juror" by John Grisham is also on my re-reading list, and I really recommend it if you like Michael Connolly.

Think I'll check it out when I finish this one. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Without Fail by Lee Child.

It's one of the Jack Reacher series, very good if you like crime novels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Gave up trying to read '...'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Sky', the biography of Hendrix. I can't stand biographies that tell you what the person was thinking. That and it was overly gushing in every aspect - obviously the author was an uber-fan.

I got The Life of James Brown by Geoff Brown (MOJO staff writer), instead. It's BRILLIANT. Exceptionally well researched, funny and interesting. He has to deal with lots of cliches (kid from poverty goes onto massive success) but he does so very well. And not only that but he had to pick up the book from a Mr. White, who gave up after years of writing it and handed thousands of documents to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Whatever you do don't go to Wikipedia! I did watching season 1 as I got lost with the family names.... :mad:

Or the family lists at the end of the books after book 2.... :mad:

Spoilers abound!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I'm reading Blue Blood, by Edward Conlon. It's his account of life in the NYPD, a compelling read, am enjoying it very much. I hadn't even heard of it before, just found it on the shelf in my local bookshop:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Christopher Farnsworth's "Blood Oath", the first in the President's Vampire series, really enjoying it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 SaveMeBarry

I'm reading "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey. It's pretty great :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement