Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

An update on the Crusheen stop. Apparently the developer looked for extra money after planning was granted. So they are redrawing at the moment and hope to submit new plans at a new site, just down from the original site, in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

glineli wrote: »
    An update on the Crusheen stop. Apparently the developer looked for extra money after planning was granted. So they are redrawing at the moment and hope to submit new plans at a new site, just down from the original site, in the next few months.

Ah yes the Crusheen stop - does anyone remember that rather quaint programme RTE did on the WRC with the green warrior cycling through crusheen, looking at all the traffic - which I guess is now a minor trickle of local traffic with the bypass built. Eco-eye was the programme it was done in the halcyon days of the latter end of C Tiger, and the locals talked about commuter services hither and tither. Anyway take a look at this sleepy hollow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusheen

According to the lastest Census results, Crusheen had a population growth of 20% in the period 2006-2011. In numbers, the population went up from 720 to 864.[3] this is the quote on Wiki taken from CSO.

Wow new commuter station for a population of 864 folk - man woman child and pensioners included - so I wonder how many of those souls will be rushing down each morning for the commuter train into the metropolis of Limerick or even Galway....

Another 3 to 4 minutes added to the total journey time of the "inter-city WRC express" chuck in the same again for the new stop at Oranmore, glory be it will soon be up to 2 and half hours journey time.

Could someone please tell me what's gone wrong with transport policy in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Instead of lashing out money on Crusheen (when the developer asked for more money the answer should have been to get up from the table) how about automating the crossing gates between Ennis and Limerick and putting in at least one passing loop? Hmmm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

How long do you reckon an express Galway - Ennis - Limerick train would take? (if one existed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

dowlingm wrote: »
    If the Oranmore station has been combined with a passing loop (not necessarily with a second platform) then the time savings from being able to release trains from Galway sooner in the face of incoming trains from Athenry would have made up for the time lost in stopping at the station, taken over the whole of the timetable. Now the block time just gets longer with no counterbenefit. Yes this will mean some uplift in Oranmore but we don't know how much of this will simply be cannibalising Renmoreites who would normally use Galway station.

So... yay. But only with a small y and no exclamation marks.
    There's more than enough space for a passing loop at the site, they might put one in, :p, doubtful, but at least it can't not be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

yer man! wrote: »
    How long do you reckon an express Galway - Ennis - Limerick train would take? (if one existed)

With increase in speeds and less stops, you'd probably do it in 1.5 hours.

Wishful thinking! :rolleyes:

I wonder did the service do well with the Volvo Ocean Race?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i believe it should have gone limerick ennis athenry maybe oranmore galway. that combined with a decent speed might have made it maybe not a massive success but maybe it would be doing a lot better?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

With increase in speeds and less stops, you'd probably do it in 1.5 hours.

Wishful thinking! :rolleyes:

I wonder did the service do well with the Volvo Ocean Race?

compared with one hour ten minutes on the X51 and how many services a day, 10 maybe 12? cheaper and run by the public bus service company running in direct competition with the errrr Public train service company. Now thats what I call joined up thinking in Transport planning. Brilliant.

On a train line that cost what €135 million to restore for what 6 trains a day up and down, and is costing what to be subvented every year €? million and how much to finance the capital funding (cos the money was borrowed from the Germans). These are the harsh realities when transport planning is guided by the whims of pressure groups that make false claims. The harsh realities have cost us dear, and for some reason there is still talk in some circles about actually going ahead with the northern branch line to Tuam and Claremorris. Will someone let me out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Off topic - but has bearing on WRC - or "Western Greenway Corridor"

http://www.galwaynews.ie/26811-gort-tuam-motorway-gets-go-ahead-stimulus-package

AND
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0717/breaking2.html?via=mr

Once Motorway is being built from North of Tuam to the existing M18 motorway at Gort - then greenway is the only viable option for the proposed WRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is only a matter of time before Ennis-Athenry is closed down again. As for the Tuam branch, it will never get beyond the do gooders talking.

• Advertisement

Off topic - but has bearing on WRC - or "Western Greenway Corridor"

http://www.galwaynews.ie/26811-gort-tuam-motorway-gets-go-ahead-stimulus-package

AND
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0717/breaking2.html?via=mr

Once Motorway is being built from North of Tuam to the existing M18 motorway at Gort - then greenway is the only viable option for the proposed WRC.

http://www.rte.ie/

indeed the announcement today about the N17/18 is absolutely fabulous news for the west, the kind of infrastucture we really need with the reliable journey times this will bring between the north west and south west this is really fantastic news. Re the WRC the motorway from north of Tuam - presumably to tie in with the good quality claremorris and Knock bypasses will effectively kill off anymore talk about "Rail corridors" from Athentry to Tuam and beyond. Bus journey time Limerick - Galway could come down to less than an hour! And whats more it makes Shannon Airport far more accessible.

This really is great news for the greenway campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I can't see Athenry-Tuam going ahead after today's announcement of the N17/N18 in the stimulus package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It is only a matter of time before Ennis-Athenry is closed down again. As for the Tuam branch, it will never get beyond the do gooders talking.

I dont think the WRC should vbe shut , but the station at Crusheen should not be built and the others bar Ennis should be shut to give a faster service

Are there any freight workings on the Ennis-Athenry section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Are there any freight workings on the Ennis-Athenry section?

No.

No.

Exactly - a branch line built at a cost of what was it 135 million for six up trains and six down trains a day - each of them running to a minimal % of their capacity with a handful of passengers on - it will never happen again , todays announcement re the N17/18 is the absolute end of this nonsense called the western rail corridor. We all now know it is not going to happen - not ever and quite rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

westtip wrote: »
    Exactly - a branch line built at a cost of what was it 135 million for six up trains and six down trains a day - each of them running to a minimal % of their capacity with a handful of passengers on - it will never happen again , todays announcement re the N17/18 is the absolute end of this nonsense called the western rail corridor. We all now know it is not going to happen - not ever and quite rightly so.

a handfull of passengers?!

good luck! iv been caught about 4/5 times at level crossings outside gort and Ardrahan and the most ive ever counted was 4!
    On one occassion i didnt see anyone.

Iv never seen a car parked at the very new looking car park in Ardrahan either.
    The lighting for which is on all night!

The whole exercise should be used in textbooks and shown up as how not to do intercity train services.

An epic disaster.

flynnlives wrote: »
    a handfull of passengers?!

good luck! iv been caught about 4/5 times at level crossings outside gort and Ardrahan and the most ive ever counted was 4!
    On one occassion i didnt see anyone.

Iv never seen a car parked at the very new looking car park in Ardrahan either.
    The lighting for which is on all night!

The whole exercise should be used in textbooks and shown up as how not to do intercity train services.

An epic disaster.

How not to do infrastructure planning - this is a textbook case of weak governance, the pressure group West on Track should have been told from day one. no no no. They still won't go away and no doubt we will hear soon about how the new motorway is good news but the "strategic importance of the Western Rail corridor must not be overlooked" What has happened to date has been an epic disaster - for sure there will be no extension north of Athenry certainly not for 20 years if ever.

No point in closing Gort given the passing loop.

dowlingm wrote: »
    No point in closing Gort given the passing loop.
    It can be closed as a station whilst maintaining the loop.

• Advertisement

westtip wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/
    And whats more it makes Shannon Airport far more accessible.

This really is great news for the greenway campaign.

Whats more is it makes Knock Airport, which has as many routes as Shannon except cheaper even more accessible to people living in South Galway Limerick and beyond;). Complete the road to Sligo and it will truly be the airport of choice for the West and Northwest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Could Irish Rail not rip up the Western Rail Corridor and sell the sleepers and rail to some local garden centre or on Ebay?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Could Irish Rail not rip up the Western Rail Corridor and sell the sleepers and rail to some local garden centre or on Ebay?
    after spending millions on putting them down in the first place? doubt it. i'd say its concrete sleepers being used for it and not wooden ones? remember this is a vital piece of infrastructure for the west, one which your a massive supporter of, its your favourite rail line. <mwehh>

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I think he means the Northern sections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

after spending millions on putting them down in the first place? doubt it. i'd say its concrete sleepers being used for it and not wooden ones? remember this is a vital piece of infrastructure for the west, one which your a massive supporter of, its your favourite rail line. <mwehh>
    I get the bus! The sleepers would make good gate posts:D and ripping it up would be far cheaper than maintaining it and running empty trains on it for years, lets face it, bar selling the tickets at a huge loss during the summer the train will never be used and will always lose buckets of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,129 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whats more is it makes Knock Airport, which has as many routes as Shannon except cheaper even more accessible to people living in South Galway Limerick and beyond;). Complete the road to Sligo and it will truly be the airport of choice for the West and Northwest.

We should just sell Shannon to the USAF and be done with it (seriously, and I'm not making a political point here, it makes a great military airbase but it's not viable as a civil airport and in truth never was.)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

ninja900 wrote: »
    We should just sell Shannon to the USAF and be done with it (seriously, and I'm not making a political point here, it makes a great military airbase but it's not viable as a civil airport and in truth never was.)

That's the reason it was on the Soviet Nuclear target map after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

ninja900 wrote: »

That would have been viable 40 years ago, but you would now be at the stage where the USAF would have pulled and you would have a local economy that was dependant on the base.
    The USAF are closing bases now, not opening new ones.

I would suggest moving the Air Corps down there and closing Baldonnel down, or selling Baldonnel to O'Leary if he is still interested.

Indeed the announcement and hopefully the actual enactment of the M17/18 extension will make a big difference to Knock. Turning the WRC into a Greenway would also help Knock airport, although WOT see Charlestown station as an interconnector station for Knock Airport, of course what they fail to point out is the station is about 6km from the airport, that to have a meaningful rail connector to an airport a 20 minute frequency is needed and finally the new road and the fact that Knock airport is now a regular stop for buses on the N17 means the airport is now pretty well served for public transport and the new road will mean a bus from Knock airport to Galway will take about an hour.

• Advertisement

It can be closed as a station whilst maintaining the loop.
    Yes, it can, but why bother? It could be discontinued as a stop in one direction I suppose so that the rolling train could barrel on and the waiting train could set down/pick up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement