Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,274 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    Relatedly, chemist shops in the USA which are owned/managed by religious people have been trying for some years to stop selling condoms, contraceptives, morning-after pills and the like. For much the same reasons. Not sure where that particular fight is at the moment.

Probably still some here. There were quite a few in Dublin less than 20 years ago, a chemist in Rathmines (of all places) turned my gf away when she went in with her pill prescription. Another well known chemist on the SCR didn't sell johnnies :rolleyes: but you could get them semi-illegally in the corner shop a few mins up the road ;)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

That's been going on in the US for several years. Don't have any figures to hand, but I'd say around half are objecting on religious ground ("god says don't get the jab") and the other half are objecting since, if protection against HPV is conferred, they believe that girls will be more likely to have sex -- a common religious trope which sees religious people lie about condoms, causing teens to avoid using them, thereby causing increased STD rates. My elderly female relative, of whom forum regulars will have heard much anon, said two years back that if she was a young mum again, she wouldn't allow her own daughters to be vaccinated since catching a fatal disease might "teach them a lesson".

Relatedly, chemist shops in the USA which are owned/managed by religious people have been trying for some years to stop selling condoms, contraceptives, morning-after pills and the like. For much the same reasons. Not sure where that particular fight is at the moment.

I think you could start a comic strip based on this woman. She's a real character. Much like the father in 'Freddie got Fingered'. I love that movie.

Sarky wrote: »
    From that it reads like those schools believe that somehow abstinence prevents cervical cancer. But that would be stupid.

Would it not work as well as the vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Would it not work as well as the vaccine?
    No, as there are non-sexual ways of contracting HPV. Which is why these people are dangerous morons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

national trust to review decision on creationist display at the giant's causeway:
    http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2012/07/national-trust-to-review-creationist-friendly-exhibit-at-giants-causeway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

national trust to review decision on creationist display at the giant's causeway:
    http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2012/07/national-trust-to-review-creationist-friendly-exhibit-at-giants-causeway
    That's the best news I've heard all day.

Maybe someone in there stumbled upon our own thread amongst others when assessing the public response. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

ninja900 wrote: »
    Probably still some here. There were quite a few in Dublin less than 20 years ago...........
    Yes, around 1995 I think the last time I attempted to purchase some from "a chemist shop" a dark and dingy place near the Merrion St. gate of TCD, the old fart behind the counter started up his lecture on morality.... Around that time Tesco and Boots arrived, supermarkets started stocking them, so no need to ever go back to such places. He's probably still there, moaning away to anyone willing to listen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

recedite wrote: »
    [...] the old fart behind the counter started up his lecture on morality [...]
    Reminds me of the Skibbereen supermarket I dropped into on Good Friday this year, and getting a morality lecture from the elderly lady at the till when I forgetfully asked her why the drinks section was still closed off at lunchtime.

In return, she got a lecture on secularism :)

Yes, around 1995 I think the last time I attempted to purchase some from "a chemist shop" a dark and dingy place near the Merrion St. gate of TCD, the old fart behind the counter started up his lecture on morality...

Sweny's? Maybe you should've asked for a bar of lemon soap...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

In return, she got a lecture on secularism :)

OK but it's not her fault the laws are stupid.

Very disappointing to hear the usual post-Swedish House Mafia* stuff about alcohol being too cheap, too widely available, etc. etc. and the 'solution' is of course to ignore the lawbreakers and punish the responsible. As usual.

Never mind that in many other European countries, drink is both a lot cheaper and a lot more widely available... and even in Scandinavian countries where it's expensive and not easy to get, they still have heavy alcohol consumption. Hmmm....

* I thought IKEA were the Swedish house mafia :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm too young to remember :pac: but apparently if you wanted illicit contraception in the 70s and 80s, Hayes Cunningham Robinson chemists were the place to go, because they were 'Protestant'.

I remember, at about 7 or 8 years old, being in a bus with my mother and going past what must have been the Well Woman Centre, seeing a large sign saying 'Contraceptives Unlimited', and asking my mam what that meant :confused: ...because all the other shops and businesses said Limited!!!

I was in the christianity forum and there was an old thread unearthed about the catholic rag 'Alive'.

So, I went onto their site.
    Clash looming

The Catholic Church in Ireland has taken a radical stand against the view that she must “move with the times”, that she must adapt to the modern world. She has decided, rather, that she will be true to her own identity.
    By following the path of “communion with Christ and with one another”, as the Eucharistic Congress put it, the Church has firmly set herself against today’s liberalism.
    She has rejected the individualism and the distorted notion of freedom that are tearing today’s society apart.
    This is nothing less than revolutionary, and will inevitably lead to deep clashes between the Church and the powers that be.
    For the modern world, the individual is primary. Individuals may come together to advance their own interests, but they carry an underlying resentment against society and its limits on their “freedom” and their “rights”.
    For the Catholic Church, on the other hand, society comes first. We are born into a society, the family, and we first come to know ourselves as members of the family, and then of the wider community.
    From these two views come radically different notions of love, justice, happiness, freedom, independence.
    They lead, in turn, to radically different views about human dignity, education, law, politics, economics, the role of the media, and so on.
    We are seriously mistaken, for example, if we think that the major issues in Irish education are about control of schools. Something far deeper is at stake.
    Having reaffirmed her identity as ‘communion in the body of Christ’, the Church must now vigorously and confidently proclaim her vision on each issue, to her own members first, and then to the wider society.

http://www.alive.ie/comment.html

Freedom and rights. Who needs em eh? :confused:

I wouldn't mind if one of these was dropped in my letterbox, just for curiosity. Their website isn't great.

You can have the copy we regularly get :mad: thinking of putting a sticker on the front door

NO JUNK MAIL

P.S. WE LOVE SATAN

Wow, my dim and distant memory was right...

http://dublinopinion.com/2010/09/29/banshee-journal-of-irish-women-united-looking-left-dctv/
    In the summer of 1976, Irish Women United joined forces with other groups to launch a national campaign for legislation on contraception: the Contraception Action Programme (CAP).

In 1978 CAP opened up a shop, Contraceptives Unlimited.

The success of the CAP campaign led to the Family Planning Act of 1978. Sponsored by Charles J. Haughey. This led to contraceptives available on prescription for ‘bona fide’ family planning purposes. Haughey’s now infamous line: ‘An Irish solution to an Irish problem.’

Has Irish politics really changed at all since though... wait until demand for social change becomes irresistible, then do the absolute minimum possible...

OK but it's not her fault the laws are stupid.
    Agreed, but when she defended them and delivered her morality lecture, she stepped over the line and got a lecture in reply -- at least I tried to make mine funny; whereas she sounded like she was recycling something Witters had scribbled down on an off-day.

I didn't get my booze of course, so I suppose she won.

You militant secularist you :pac:

^^^

213795.jpg

Why did I kill the boy? It was god's plan! (Zimmerman)

god does indeed work in mysterious ways.

When I say 'god' I mean crazy nut jobs.
    When I say 'mysterious' I mean retarded and criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

My elderly female relative, of whom forum regulars will have heard much anon, said two years back that if she was a young mum again, she wouldn't allow her own daughters to be vaccinated since catching a fatal disease might "teach them a lesson".

Not much point learning a lesson when you're dead (and already condemned to eternity in hell).

• Moderators Posts: 51,733 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Zimmerman: Shooting 'God's plan'
    It was "God's plan" that brought together George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin in a fatal confrontation in February, Zimmerman told Fox News host Sean Hannity Wednesday in his first television interview.

Zimmerman, 28, has been charged with second-degree murder for shooting Martin in what he says was self-defense. Martin was unarmed when he was killed while walking back to his father's girlfriend's house in a gated residential area of Sanford, Florida. Zimmerman has pleaded not guilty and has been free on $1 million bail since early July.

Video clip on the linked page.

Nice to know that God wanted him to shoot an unarmed teenager :rolleyes:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The actual feck is wrong with some people.

http://www.alive.ie/comment.html
    For the modern world, the individual is primary. Individuals may come together to advance their own interests, but they carry an underlying resentment against society and its limits on their “freedom” and their “rights”.
    For the Catholic Church, on the other hand, society comes first. We are born into a society, the family, and we first come to know ourselves as members of the family, and then of the wider community.

Freedom and rights. Who needs em eh? :confused:
    Its interesting to look at their use/abuse of the words society and community there.
    Surely when individuals band together, that is "a community" and the wider "society" itself is made up of individuals and communities?

So, rephrasing the quote to make it more realistic;
    For the modern world Throughout history, the individual is primary. Individuals may come together to advance their own interests, but they carry an underlying resentment against society authority and its limits on their “freedom” and their “rights”.
    For the Catholic Church, on the other hand, society the authority of the Church comes first. We are born into a society Church, the family, and we first come to know ourselves as members of the family, and then of the wider communitysociety

Bible-Basher swindles his brothers and sisters of the faith; "Good, God- fearing people" they were, although more than a bit gullible......
    Elvin told the investors he could make millions through his company, Pear Shaped Resources. But the scheme collapsed, leaving investors out of pocket. He was found guilty at an earlier trial of illegally operating an investment scheme on various dates between 2003 and 2005.
    During his trial, Elvin, whose Pear Shaped Resources was based in the British Virgin Islands, claimed he was a penniless bible-believer who wanted to raise millions for benevolent causes.
    I do like his statement to the court though;
    Mr Murphy read a short statement from Elvin in which he asked to be allowed get their money back, saying: “Please allow me to be a giver.”
    After all, "tis better to give than to receive" or so the men of the cloth keep telling us :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Wiggles88

Pear Shaped Resources

Love the name :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm too young to remember :pac: but apparently if you wanted illicit contraception in the 70s and 80s, Hayes Cunningham Robinson chemists were the place to go, because they were 'Protestant'.

My parents got married at the end of the 60's and apparently it was the norm that engaged women would loan their engagement rings to their friends so they could buy contraceptives.

After all, "tis better to give than to receive" or so the men of the cloth keep telling us

I can't help but think of that phrase in an entirely different context to that originaly intended... there were many men of the cloth giving what was not wished to be received.

After all, "tis better to give than to receive" or so the men of the cloth keep telling us :pac:

Collection baskets will be passed around in a moment. Give generously. €€€€€€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

This is sort of applicable....
    At least 21 people have been treated for burns after attendees of an event in California for US motivational speaker Tony Robbins tried to walk on hot coals, fire officials said.

The San Jose Mercury News reported that at least three people were taken to hospital, with most suffering second- or third-degree burns.

Robbins was hosting a four-day gathering called "Unleash the Power Within" at the San Jose Convention Centre. Witnesses said that a crowd went to a park where 12 lanes of hot coals were set up on the grass.

Robbins' website promotes "The Firewalk Experience" in which people walk on super-heated coals.
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/world-news/21-suffer-burns-at-firewalk-event-3175198.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

Nodin wrote: »

I suppose you could say...

Their soles weren't saved.

YEEEEAAAAHHHHH!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yer man Tim Robbins used have big long informericals on some channel or other. Thousands of eejits jumping round the place feeling "empowered"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Robbins

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement