Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

postitnote wrote: »

Apologies not needed at all Sarky, no offence was taken. I know I live in a land of dinosaurs.

I'm assuming the Giants Causeway sh*tstorm has something to do with this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mervyn_Storey

and:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/may/26/northern-ireland-ulster-museum-creationism
    I used to vote DUP!!
    The belief that the Earth was divinely created in 4004 BC originates with the writings of another Ulster-based Protestant, Archbishop of Armagh James Ussher, in 1654. Ussher calculated the date based on textual clues in the Old Testament, even settling on a date and time for the moment of creation: in the early hours of 23 October.

Give this man a nobel prize for God sake!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Apologies not needed at all Sarky, no offence was taken. I know I live in a land of dinosaurs.

I'm assuming the Giants Causeway sh*tstorm has something to do with this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mervyn_Storey

and:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/may/26/northern-ireland-ulster-museum-creationism
    I used to vote DUP!!

Heh, he brought this fella to mind.

41781_107902882606390_6105_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

...(PS As i'm new i'll let you know, just don't tell any of our politicians up here: There is no god)
    Ah, but are ye a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Proxima Centauri

[MOD EDIT - Moved this from a new thread as it was already discussed here]

You may have already seen!!

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2012/07/national-trust-promotes-creationism-at-new-visitor-centre

SAD! I really dread to think this nonsense is making it's way over here. :mad:

There is also a facebook page setup if you're interested:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/263351503764526/263524477080562/?notif_t=group_activity

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

mikhail wrote: »
    Ah, but are ye a Mumbo Jumbo atheist or a Mumbo Jumbo atheist? ;)

Fixed that for you :p

I'm trying to work out the difference here, bear with me.

Protestant Atheist, no wait... Ex protestant Atheist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Dades wrote: »
    Well that's just infuriated me.

Let them know what you think!
    https://www.facebook.com/GiantsCausewayNationalTrust

• Moderators Posts: 51,752 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Pakistan mob burns man to death for 'blasphemy'
    A Pakistani mob has taken a man accused of blasphemy from a police station and burnt him to death, police say.

The man was being held for allegedly burning a copy of the Koran in public. The incident took place on the outskirts of Bahawalpur, in Punjab province.

Witnesses said hundreds of people looked on as he screamed for help.

Pakistan's controversial blasphemy law imposes the death penalty for insulting Islam, but it is rarely carried out.

The area where the lynching took place is home to hundreds of madrassas - religious schools - run by radical Islamist or sectarian groups.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I know I live in a land of dinosaurs.

Take me with you :)

I heard Brian cox tweeted about the Giant's Causeway issue today. He's so dreamy....

*ahem*

In other news, pro-lifers spoil movies now:
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Theater-Employee-Spoils-Prometheus-Political-Reasons-31731.html

koth wrote: »

I wonder does that IIV guy who was posting here thinks the guy had it coming.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Galvasean wrote: »
    I heard Brian cox tweeted about the Giant's Causeway issue today. He's so dreamy....
    If by dreamy you mean creepy, then I agree. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,752 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

what a hero, protecting the public from fictional abortions. :pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

Dades wrote: »
    If by dreamy you mean creepy, then I agree. :pac:

There is something a bit creepy about him alright, he's always made me think of salad fingers.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/07/05/louisiana-republican-when-i-voted-for-state-funds-to-go-to-religious-schools-i-didnt-mean-muslim-ones/
    Louisiana Republican: When I Voted for State Funds to go to Religious Schools, I Didn’t Mean Muslim Ones
    July 5, 2012 By Hemant Mehta

In Louisiana, Republican Governor Bobby Jindal pushed for a voucher program that would allow state funds to be used to pay for religious schools. It’s unconstitutional, it’s a way to use taxpayer money to fund someone’s faith, and it was a bad idea to begin with.
    But it passed.
    Now, one of the state legislators, Rep. Valarie Hodges (R-Watson), just made a shocking discovery, though: Christianity isn’t the only religion!

Rep. Valarie Hodges, R-Watson, says she had no idea that Gov. Bobby Jindal’s overhaul of the state’s educational system might mean taxpayer support of Muslim schools.

“I actually support funding for teaching the fundamentals of America’s Founding Fathers’ religion, which is Christianity, in public schools or private schools,” the District 64 Representative said Monday.

“Unfortunately it will not be limited to the Founders’ religion,” Hodges said. “We need to insure that it does not open the door to fund radical Islam schools. There are a thousand Muslim schools that have sprung up recently. I do not support using public funds for teaching Islam anywhere here in Louisiana.”

Wait, we’re teaching the “Founders’ religion”? I can’t wait to see those Deistic schools popping up everywhere…

I can’t decide whether the staffers at Americans United are collectively rolling their eyes or shaking their heads in disbelief, but they’re right to suggest “We told you so”:

Where to begin? Hodges’ bigotry is perhaps only rivaled by her ignorance of constitutional and legal principles. Of course Muslim schools will qualify for funding under a voucher plan. When programs like this are set up that dole out benefits to religious schools, the government can’t play favorites. That’s basic.

Some legislators aren’t comfortable funding Muslim schools. What’s to be done? How about not establishing these programs in the first place? Let Muslims fund Muslim schools. Let Catholics fund Catholics ones. Let fundamentalist Protestants pay for the conservative Christian academies and so on.

Rep. Hodges made the mistake of saying out loud what most conservative Christians only say to themselves to private: When they say they want “religious freedom,” they’re only referring to their own faith. Everyone else can fend for themselves.

Message to Rep. Hodges: Your Christian privilege is showing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ Ha ha - suckers in the US with all their religious schools!

Wait... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Richard Dawkins on BBC Radio Ulster discussing the Giant's Causeway Creationist claim: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b01kf6zl (Skip to about the 43 minute mark).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

dlofnep wrote: »
    Richard Dawkins on BBC Radio Ulster discussing the Giant's Causeway Creationist claim: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b01kf6zl (Skip to about the 43 minute mark).

I got to about 46 mins in, when the "opposition" arrived.

Nodin wrote: »
    I got to about 46 mins in, when the "opposition" arrived.

'Aye knowe thars doot in tha dayting methods yoused, Cyarbon daytin'

'Carbon dating has nothing to do with it'

'Aye neyver sayd cyarbon daytin, there are kweschons about the daytin methods'

Being from north of the Boyne, I'm embarrassed. That man was on about Dawkins 'holding back' how there's 'many' scientists who believe in creation. Tin foil hats - on.

Dawkins summed it up with, 'This is nonsense.'

EDIT: He just invoked Ken Ham. His point is invalid.

fitz0 wrote: »

EDIT: He just invoked Ken Ham. His point is invalid.

Good oul Ken, showing that cluelessness should never hold you back from claiming authority.

"OH I'M IGNORANT NOW?" "Yes." hahaha brilliant.

shizz wrote: »
    "OH I'M IGNORANT NOW?" "Yes." hahaha brilliant.

...you tempted me in to hearing the rest of it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I am back in Coleraine for the weekend. I might pop overtly the causeway to deliver my displeasure in person.

MrP

Nodin wrote: »
    ...you tempted me in to hearing the rest of it now.

Well I found it very funny :) Some annoying woman from the Biblical creation society or something rings up as well.

shizz wrote: »
    Well I found it very funny :) Some annoying woman from the Biblical creation society or something rings up as well.

Aye. He's fairly calm with them. I'd tend towards just mocking and scoffing these days - I just lack the patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I got a response from the national trust folks. It's pretty much "yeah, that's overwhelming scientific consensus, but the debate is ongoing... why not visit our new exhibition and make your own mind up?"

Disappointing, tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Sarky wrote: »
    "yeah, that's overwhelming scientific consensus, but the debate is ongoing... why not visit our new exhibition and make your own mind up?"
    I'd write back:
    robindch wrote:
    Why not visit? Well, if you claim that the debate is ongoing amongst the scientific community, when in fact, it was definitively resolved in the 19th century, then I'm afraid that I have no confidence in the accuracy or honesty of anything else that your exhibit claims.

koth wrote: »
    what a hero, protecting the public from fictional abortions. :pac:

In fairness,
    it was a C-section and then she tried (and failed) to kill a squid like alien thing.
    Not exactly what the pro-life & pro=choice people argue over.

In fairness,
    it was a C-section and then she tried (and failed) to kill a squid like alien thing.
    Not exactly what the pro-life & pro=choice people argue over.

True but
    every squid-thing is sacred, every squid thing is great.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I see Mervyn, as a young earth creationist, is the Chairman of NI Education Board :eek:

And his buddy Nelson "believes that Ulster Protestants are one of the lost tribes of Israel"........ :pac:
    Could be possible though; if they had got marooned on Atlantis during a storm, they may have rebuilt their ships there and then sailed for land at Giants Causeway....
    fitz0 wrote: »

41781_107902882606390_6105_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Afternoon all, some Giants Causeway updates for you

Reading through the comments of the Belfast Telegraph
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/richard-dawkins-creationism-at-giants-causeway-is-intellectual-baboonism-16181959.html

Interesting post from a fellow called Dr Stephen Moreton

Here's the gist of what he provided for debunking this tosh once and for all:

On-line: www.habitas.org.uk/es2k/ click “Magazine”, select “Earth Science Ireland Issue 6”. The whole issue will download as a pdf. Scroll to p. 37.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement