Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Anyone who believes they can "cure cancer" clearly doesn't know what cancer is.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 33,449 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Burly Mr Bentley, 36, said in one YouTube clip: ‘And I’m thinking why is the power of God not moving? And He said, “Because you haven’t kicked that woman in the face.” ‘And there is this older lady worshipping right in front of the platform and the Holy Spirit spoke to me. The gift of faith comes on me. He said, “Kick her in the face with your biker boot.” I inched closer and I went bam! And just as my boot made contact with her nose, she fell under the power of God.’

F*ck me that's one of the funniest f*cking things I've ever read.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

robindch wrote: »
    From the drawer marked WTF?! comes this one about a tattooed preacher who 'cures' cancer by kicking people in the face.

Ah now. **** you, seriously.

I just spat hot tea out my nose and onto my screen.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The pope canonised facekicker. It's the only possible explanation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

You mean there was no need for me to have all that chemo induced vomiting and boob burning radiotherapy???? All I needed was a kick in the face by someone wearing biker boots?

Barstard so called medical experts with their fancy loafers and kick backs from someone or other are hiding the truth from us all. All that is needed is a pair of biker boots and faith...!!! I already have the bloody biker boots like!!!

I am so pissed off about this that I could win a round against Katie Taylor!!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

Is that treatment covered by your medical insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Underground Muslims.....
    Four members of a Muslim sect in the Russian region of Tatarstan have been charged with cruelty against children for allegedly keeping them underground.

The sect's elderly leader, Faizrakhman Sattarov, who had declared himself a Muslim prophet, was charged with the crime of "arbitrariness".

Police found 27 children and 38 adults living in catacomb-like cells, dug on
    eight levels under his home.
    According to the Russian website Islam News, Mr Sattarov, 83, declared himself an Islamic prophet in the mid-1960s after interpreting sparks from a trolleybus cable as a divine light from God.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19180554

• Registered Users Posts: 34,523 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

declared himself an Islamic prophet in the mid-1960s after interpreting sparks from a trolleybus cable as a divine light from God.

As nutty religious signs go, that's really reaching...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

ninja900 wrote: »
    Yes but voices in your head telling you to kick old ladies in the face is totally legit in comparison:). I wish those who hear voices from gods could for a moment see how stupid/deranged they look to the outside world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Nodin wrote: »
    The sect's elderly leader, Faizrakhman Sattarov, who had declared himself a Muslim prophet, was charged with the crime of "arbitrariness"

Wondering what the punishment for "arbitrariness" is and how this made it into law, particularly in Russia ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

growler wrote: »
    Wondering what the punishment for "arbitrariness" is and how this made it into law, particularly in Russia ?

"In some countries, a prohibition of arbitrariness is enshrined into the constitution. Article 9 of the Swiss Federal Constitution theoretically overrides even democratic decisions in prohibiting arbitrary government action.[5] The US Supreme Court has overturned laws for having "no rational basis." A recent study of the U.S. asylum system suggests that arbitrariness in decision-making might be the cause of large disparities in outcomes between different adjudicators, a phenomenon described as refugee roulette"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitrariness

"Acting irrationaly" perhaps?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

it's the new and modern age version of a burning bush

bluewolf wrote: »
    it's the new and modern age version of a burning bush

"It's a sign! A sign!"

"No, mate. It's the 23a to Brunswick."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

growler wrote: »
    Wondering what the punishment for "arbitrariness" is
    I hear its pretty arbitrary...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Quatermain wrote: »

Just spotted this now:
    "They have found large chambers in certain dinosaur skulls…The large skull chambers could have contained special chemical-producing glands. When the animal forced the chemicals out of its mouth or nose, these substances may have combined and produced fire and smoke."

OR, now this might be crazy.... but perhaps the chambers is where the dinosaur's brains were kept...

Also, notice how point 8 says fetuses were treated like slaves, but point 5 says slaves were treated well. Problem?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Also, notice how point 8 says fetuses were treated like slaves, but point 5 says slaves were treated well. Problem?

Back in my day, lazy was the fetus that couldn't turn out a perfect Chanel wallet!

Back in my day, lazy was the fetus that couldn't turn out a perfect Chanel wallet!

Now if they can't make 3 ipads an hour...well, you can guess the rest....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,523 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It used to be only dem forrin' religions* dat were crazy. Now even Christianity has gone nuts....

* because Catholicism is IRISH!!!11!!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

To be fair, when you compare it to a "burning bush" it's considerably more sophisticated.

just saying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

He needs a good kick in the face.

In fact maybe we should start up our own Face Kicking Ministry. Do you have to ask people first or is "getting a sign from god" enough? (Looks for trolleybus...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

That burning bush could have been a cotinus behind a cotoneaster with some other flowering shrubs giving a flamboyant display,with some messer speaking the word.

Well y'know, bush fires aren't exactly uncommon in arid landscapes. Neither are hallucinations brought on by dehydration.

Given that the Oracle at Delphi gave her predictions sitting on a tripod stool with smoke billowing from beneath her skirt, the idea of speaking to a burning bush is a pretty common one...

Given that the Oracle at Delphi gave her predictions sitting on a tripod stool with smoke billowing from beneath her skirt, the idea of speaking to a burning bush is a pretty common one...

Burning Bushes seem very common or garden...
    A study prepared by Monash University reveals that 90 Victorians went to hospital last year with waxing injuries, the Herald Sun reports.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Burning Bushes seem very common or garden...

"But this is Horace Mapplethorn's Patent Loin Linament!"

"Genuine snake oil, is all! Now hush while we lock you into this nearby asylum!"

Gotta love the Victorians. Particularly their genuine believe that blowing tobacco smoke into the rectum was an effective means of resuscitating the drowned. Utter hilarity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    [...] 90 Victorians went to hospital last year with waxing injuries [...]
    What's the opposite of a caption competition? ...when you have the caption and you're looking for a cartoon to go with it?

Gotta love the Victorians. Particularly their genuine believe that blowing tobacco smoke into the rectum was an effective means of resuscitating the drowned. Utter hilarity.

It makes you wonder just what kind of mind decided to first try that...
    "I know what we should do!!!"

Swiftly followed by: "Which concludes the case for the defence, m'lud".

Also, obligatory awesomeness.

A Simple Explanation

It does take scientific enquiry to a whole different level

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

There's varieties of plants which spontaneously combust in high temperatures due to their oil content

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement