Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Recently updated my S3 using Odin and everything was working perfectly but only in the last week anytime I lose 3g coverage and am put on Three's 2g/Edge network it fails to switch back to 3g coverage when I return to an area where 3g is strong and available. It is strange as it was switching me between both networks for a good few days after I upgraded.

This happening to anyone else or anyone know a solution for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

s_carnage wrote: »
    Recently updated my S3 using Odin and everything was working perfectly but only in the last week anytime I lose 3g coverage and am put on Three's 2g/Edge network it fails to switch back to 3g coverage when I return to an area where 3g is strong and available. It is strange as it was switching me between both networks for a good few days after I upgraded.

This happening to anyone else or anyone know a solution for this?

This is a known issue with the 3 network, they don't have a 2G network, you are moving from the 3 network to Vodafone for 2G and don't move back automatically
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056669102

PogMoThoin wrote: »

This is a known issue with the 3 network, they don't have a 2G network, you are moving from the 3 network to Vodafone for 2G and don't move back automatically
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056669102

Ya knew about switching to the Vodafone when out of 3g but it's only in the last week it's stopped switching back to the 3 network automatically. Serious pain having to manually switch back to 3g.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yep my last few updates via Odin have left my phone in the same shape. Love the fact I can update but hate the after affects I'm left with when it stops jumping back to 3G cells.

Holding on to my Three firmware a little bit longer I think.

Only think it will be sorted out after the Three-Voda cell merge is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

god's toy wrote: »
    Holding on to my Three firmware a little bit longer I think.

Only think it will be sorted out after the Three-Voda cell merge is sorted.

It's not a 'cell merge'' it's a sharing of physical network. Radio spectrum will still be seperate.

• Advertisement

to me it's the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Eh, no. They're just sharing masts. They will each have their own backhaul, network and equipment

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Eh, no. They're just sharing masts. They will each have their own backhaul, network and equipment

And as I said to me that's the same thing.
    You can call it what you want and that's your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Lads would an s2 battery work in a s3?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Bit of a newbie to smartphones but what can the new galaxy do that the iPhone 4s can't ?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

god's toy wrote: »
    And as I said to me that's the same thing.
    You can call it what you want and that's your choice.

It still isn't going to solve the fundamental problem of the phone not transitioning smoothly between the two networks. It may mean better infilling of 3G so the phone doesn't need to rely on 2G as much. Won't be an overnight change though, will take months if not years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Kensington wrote: »
    It still isn't going to solve the fundamental problem of the phone not transitioning smoothly between the two networks. It may mean better infilling of 3G so the phone doesn't need to rely on 2G as much. Won't be an overnight change though, will take months if not years.

This is probably the only potential benefit to 3 (or Vodafone) customers.

The shared infra-structure should mean that it is substantially cheaper for both operators to expand their services.

So , in theory all those areas where Three users are pushed over to a 2G Vodafone mast - Three can now fairly cheaply add their own 3G aerial to that mast rather then having to source,licence,install and run their own mast.

Doesn't mean that they will and it certainly won't happen over-night...But it's possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Bit of a newbie to smartphones but what can the new galaxy do that the iPhone 4s can't ?

Cheers

the main differential is the screen size and a different more open and customisable software (android v IOS)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Faster processor, expandable memory, bigger battery, lighter weight, not apple.

Kensington wrote: »

Every little helps I suppose. We will have to wait and see.

Would one of those NFC chips work with this problem? With my particular situation it is always when I go to the far side of my work building it switches from 3g. So if I had a NFC tag at my desk to transfer the network back to 3g it might be quicker than having to do it manually.

Could this be done as I'm not too sure what exactly these NFC tags can be programmed to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

yes its possible, check this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jwsoft.nfcactionlauncher&hl=en

it will show what you can do with the NFC tags

I have them all over the house, car and work. Handy and good to have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

does anybody know how to turn the volume up for incoming text messages, i have my notifications volume up full and i have picked a nitification sound but when i get a message in comes in sliently

does anybody know how to turn the volume up for incoming text messages, i have my notifications volume up full and i have picked a nitification sound but when i get a message in comes in sliently

Did you set the sound from within the text settings? If not just open your text and hlt menu and then settings. From there your scrolling down and setting your sounds. Think the default is silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

For some reason notification ringtones for one of my contacts is that ridiculous whistling. But when I go into contacts and that persons profile, under ringtones it says default. But the default is a different sound.

Anyone know how to fix this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

For some reason notification ringtones for one of my contacts is that ridiculous whistling. But when I go into contacts and that persons profile, under ringtones it says default. But the default is a different sound.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Is the contact part of a group and does the group have a ringtone setting? If not maybe try setting it to something else then back to default.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I seem to have an odd problem with mine. Even if I have the contacts number, and their number is unblocked no matter who is calling it just shows up on my phone as "unknown". Has anyone else had this problem or figured out a way to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

I can't get my s3 to vibrate for incoming calls and texts. I have the settings on and for it to vibrate but it still isn't happening. It works at other times just not calls or texts. Anyone know how to fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

I can't get my s3 to vibrate for incoming calls and texts. I have the settings on and for it to vibrate but it still isn't happening. It works at other times just not calls or texts. Anyone know how to fix this?

This happened mine aswell. Had to do a factory reset to get it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I still can't get any volume on my incoming texts, I've done as a previous poster suggested, think I might have to do a factory reset, if I do a reset what will this mean for my phone, ie will I lose my apps

coach22 wrote: »
    This happened mine aswell. Had to do a factory reset to get it to work.

Will my phone not be unlocked if I do a factory reset?

Will my phone not be unlocked if I do a factory reset?

no

akamossie wrote: »
    no

So it will just be all the apps and music and stuff that will be lost? It will still be available to any network?

So it will just be all the apps and music and stuff that will be lost? It will still be available to any network?

factory reset, is restore the phone to default settings like bought in day 1.

so if phone is locked to a network it will be still locked and if its unlocked then its unlocked :)

all apps installed will be removed.

all Music will be there as they are saved in the memory phone.

• Advertisement

akamossie wrote: »
    factory reset, is restore the phone to default settings like bought in day 1.

so if phone is locked to a network it will be still locked and if its unlocked then its unlocked :)

all apps installed will be removed.

all Music will be there as they are saved in the memory phone.

Okay thanks, had the phone unlocked after I bought it so I might just leave it for now.

Advertisement