Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Wed July 11th - Kinnegad 5km

Signed up for this in the race buzz of last week and boy did I regret it this afternoon. I just wasn't in the mood for this and couldn't decide what I was doing for it. Advice was a slow run and not to race it to save the shin but devil in me was saying race it, go on you know you want to :rolleyes:

Warmed up with Mr Slow and decided I felt good on that so I'd give it a blast. Sub 25 or die (or possibly both). Met Digijem before the start also but no other secretive boardsies!
    I lined up all wrong at the start and got caught up behind 8 year old kids and lots of walkers. However by 1km marker I was 10 secs up on target. Lovely, I love it when a plan is going well :). By 2nd km we turned on to a boreen which was not a favourite of mine with the grass, potholes etc. 2km marker and again 10 secs up on target. All good. Tbh boreen was boring as hell and the kids stopping and sprinting annoyed the hell out of me but sure whatever!!. 3km mark, still 10 secs up, happy days.
    After 3km we started hitting the drag on the course and to be fair I had been warned about this. 4km marker and looked at watch to check time. 20:08. You've got to be kidding, I lost 18 seconds on that km :eek:. I was so annoyed and cursed that marker. I slowed to a crawl literally as a young fella sprinted by laughing <insert another expletive>. Started back up again but was just a comfortable run at this stage as I thought I couldn't make the time up. Over the line feeling fine unlike last week and looked at watch 25:20**.

Faster than last week but not good enough and I was gutted. Mr Slow had the water waiting which I was very grateful for and met up with DJ again as well. Stroll back to clubhouse for the sarnies and coffee.

**Now to add insult to injury I checked the times online. I know I'm blind but I'm also an eejit. Glancing at the watch at the end I thought it said 25:20. Results said 25:29 so I checked the watch again and it did indeed say 25:29...a 9 you muppet not a 0 so I did worse again than I thought :o Chocolate is now being consumed in bulk.

I know I was expecting too much to take a minute off last week but all I improved by was 21 secs. Thanks to Ro, Nules and Younganne for the texts and putting things in perspective :D.
    No more 5kms for a while until I get back to full fitness and some hill and speed work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done this evening Shaz, that's a very solid run for only your 2nd race back - so enjoy the chocs.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

DigiJem wrote: »
    Well done this evening Shaz, that's a very solid run for only your 2nd race back - so enjoy the chocs.

As DJ said...only your second race back and you knocked time off already. Be happy with that. Pick something in a month or two and see how the training is going for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Good going shaz, you're certainly getting stuck into racing again :)

I've yet to dip my toe into the world of 5K pain :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

You're going in the right direction time wise. 5ks can go any way really, there is so little time to play around with.
    Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I only managed to take 4 seconds off my time, and I'm well-happy! If I had managed 21 seconds, I would have been doing cart-wheels after the race. :) It's damn near impossible to improve over a week, all you can do is try harder than you did the previous week, so fair play to you for getting a faster time. Some solid (non-injured) training and you'll be flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

You were comfortable enough in the last 120m to tell me to f**k off, more time to come off of that methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Well done Shaz- I think you done brilliant but I also know what its like to not be happy with a run so hopefully next time you'll be buzzing, chocolate solves everything, beer is slightly better:D

Mr Slow wrote: »
    You were comfortable enough in the last 120m to tell me to f**k off, more time to come off of that methinks.

:o:D for the record I was cursing the race not you...sorry if it appeared that way. But your right if I could talk, there was plenty left in tank at end.
    Bit of a change from last week when I couldn't talk for about 5 mins afterwards.

shazkea wrote: »
    Bit of a change from last week when I couldn't talk for about 5 mins afterwards.

Yeah 'twas great ;)

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »
    Yeah 'twas great ;)

:eek:...I assume you're in the Anger stage of race withdrawal symptoms right now so I'll let that go :p.

Yeah 'twas great ;)

:eek:...I assume you're in the Anger stage of race withdrawal symptoms right now so I'll let that go :p.

Actually it's the honesty stage....

:o:D for the record I was cursing the race not you...sorry if it appeared that way. But your right if I could talk, there was plenty left in tank at end.

I missed out on those 5 mins of splendid peace? Damn it!

Yeah 'twas great ;)
    Actually it's the honesty stage....
    I missed out on those 5 mins of splendid peace? Damn it!

gtfo128583969030606726.jpg

Anyway back to all things running....

Thur July 12th

Recovery Run - 3 miles

Deja vu as I took to the grass for a recovery run this eve. Nice and easy but looked a state by the time I had finished with muck splashed all over me. Fun times!

Anyway back to all things running....

Thur July 12th

Recovery Run - 3 miles

Deja vu as I took to the grass for a recovery run this eve. Nice and easy but looked a state by the time I had finished with muck splashed all over me. Fun times!

Not the pretty runners though? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done on the race last night Shaz...21 secs is a great time to take off any race in a week, especially a 5k!!..Well done..chin up Mrs you did gud!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

+1 on the congrats. 21 seconds in a week is fantastic. Mind yourself now mrs.

Not the pretty runners though? :(

No I was running in the bricks :D. The pretty runners are back in the press for another few weeks.

Sat July 14th

Cycle

Signed up for my first cycling sportive in a couple of weeks. Just the short 50km route to dip my toes in the water and see if I like it. I can't wait for it :).
    But I've been neglecting the bike recently so figured I'd better get out this morn. Decided to take the mountain bike to make it a tougher workout, bad idea as chain kept slipping.
    A nice 35km around the roads of NCD.

• Advertisement

Sat July 14th

Cycle

Signed up for my first cycling sportive in a couple of weeks. Just the short 50km route to dip my toes in the water and see if I like it. I can't wait for it :).
    But I've been neglecting the bike recently so figured I'd better get out this morn. Decided to take the mountain bike to make it a tougher workout, bad idea as chain kept slipping.
    A nice 35km around the roads of NCD.

Good stuff, you legs will be nice and refreshed for your LSR tomorrow:D

Younganne wrote: »
    Good stuff, you legs will be nice and refreshed for your LSR tomorrow:D
    Yeah I thought of that as I hit the last hill :rolleyes:. Let's just say it will slow me down anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Look Shaz, if you are not able to maintain a 6 min/mile pace for the LSR tmrw I'd suggest not showing up...

Sun July 15th

Run LSR

Met up with group in the park for this run and set off nice n easy. Legs a wee bit tired for the first few miles - bloody hills are murder on the quads on the bike. We were a very colour co-ordinated group, first 2 (anne and aimman) in red, middle 2 in purple (Ro and lizzy) and the stars of the group in blue (myself and Nules in case anyone needed clarification on that :D). Fashionistas or wha :cool:

Nice run and so much easier when you're chatting.

Total: 9.5 miles

Cycle

Easy 20km on the bike to loosen the legs and work off the ice-cream I had in skerries (yummy).

Over and out for a week now but hopefully I can at least get on the turbo for a few kms. Superman vision here I come :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good Luck with the eye thing Shaz!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Best of luck with the eyes shaz. It will be so worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

I can't believe you went for ice cream without me :mad: Thank god for the group run i would have not made it otherwise :) we were pretty cool in our blue though ;)

i'd say we look "Cool"in our coordinated running format:D
    Best of luck shaz tomorrow, a few days out will give you a rest and will be so worth in in the end!!!

Good luck with the super vision. Hope it all goes well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

G
    o o d
    l u c k
    w i t h
    t h e
    l a s e r
    e y c s

And if you can spot the mistake, it was a success :D

Advertisement