Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swedish house mafia stabbings (Updated Mod Warning Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭giggle84

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The hypocrisy and ignorance in your above post is astounding, and the scary thing is, I think you actually believe it and you're not trolling.
    You said you had no sympathy for people who die doing something when they know is taking a risk.

Ok well if you're going to turn my point about drugs and only drugs into a gross generalisation and refer it to everything from driving a car to making chips, let me clarify my personal opinion.

Drugs are dangerous and illegal. Driving a car is not. There is absolutely no sensible, rational argument for putting illegal drugs into your body. So in my opinion, if you make the selfish, conscious decision to take illegal drugs and are injured or die as a result, it is your own fault and no one else's, and I have no sympathy for you. My deepest sympathies will be with your family and anyone else affected, but not with you.

That opinion does not extend to victims of uncontrollable accidents, which are not the same thing in any way.

If you don't like my opinion, I don't really care. If you think I'm harsh, I'll take that as a compliment because I think a harsher attitude towards drugs is needed in this country. Drugs are for idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Yes of course I do from time to time.

But do I drink to excess? No
    Is it illegal to buy alcohol? No
    Am I contributing to crime? No
    Does it change the way I behave? No, because I know my limit. (I tend to only have one or two glasses of wine anyways)

Now substitute alcohol for drugs and ask yourself those questions. The answers will be yes

It's gas the way you can even argue this, almost every murder case in Ireland is drug related and you can be sure that this lad was off his face too. And please don't give me the lame excuse "because he combined alcohol with the drugs!" it's nonsense

Have to say you're way out of touch with reality.

Ireland's glut of drug-related murders are better described as gang-related murders, the vast majority are members of drug-dealing gangs killing each other over territory or perceived slights or wrongdoings, or tragic cases of mistaken identity in attempted gangland hits. The situation is not people smoking a joint and deciding they want to kill someone.

This young man was most certainly not drunk and high when he caused damage at a shopping centre trying to chase down someone who bumped into his car, he couldn't have turned himself into a Garda station if he was. If he had caught the person it's fair to say he wasn't about to calmly ask him for his insurance details.

He more than likely has serious anger issues and he hails from an estate where social problems of all kinds are rife. That in no way can justify his actions, and he deserves stern punishment for them, his actions are his responsibitlity at 23. Millions of other people were at that concert and lots of other concerts and lots of other parties around the world and indulged in drink and recreational drugs over this weekend and every other that have never slapped anyone never mind stabbed anyone.

You're entitled to your opinion that taking recreational drugs (and I include alcohol in that category) is wrong and it's certainly not the healthiest way to spend your life, but your idea that it's the sole cause of this stabbing incident is reminiscent of those cult "Beware the Reefer Monster!" posters from 1930's America.

Just because drink is legal doesn't make it safer, don't be so naive. It's involved in more deaths than any other drug apart from tobacco which, you guessed it, is also legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

giggle84 wrote: »
    ...gross generalisation...

...Drugs are dangerous...
    Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Ok well if you're going to turn my point about drugs and only drugs into a gross generalisation and refer it to everything from driving a car to making chips, let me clarify my personal opinion.

Drugs are dangerous and illegal. Driving a car is not. There is absolutely no sensible, rational argument for putting illegal drugs into your body. So in my opinion, if you make the selfish, conscious decision to take illegal drugs and are injured or die as a result, it is your own fault and no one else's, and I have no sympathy for you. My deepest sympathies will be with your family and anyone else affected, but not with you.

That opinion does not extend to victims of uncontrollable accidents, which are not the same thing in any way.

If you don't like my opinion, I don't really care. If you think I'm harsh, I'll take that as a compliment because I think a harsher attitude towards drugs is needed in this country. Drugs are for idiots.

There is, for some certain illegal substances

But that's a tin of worms not destined for this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

So much for their Save The World song - I guess they didn't have their dog army with them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Drugs are for idiots.

Carl Sagan , Richard Branson, Winston Churchill, Michal Phelps, and Barack Obama say hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Higher wrote: »
    There were thousands of people publicly drinking yesterday in Phoenix Park. Why weren't they challenged by Garda?

People should be allowed to drink publicly. The vast, vast majority of people can have a few cans and NOT stab somebody.

-Nobody should be allowed to bring weapons of any kind to a public event.
    -We need something like an ASBO system here whereby if you get too many hits for violent disorder, you are banned for a certain amount of time from attending events like these.
    -I need hardly mention the shocking failure of our legal system. How many of the perpetrators here will be revealed as being "known to the Gardai"?

Point #3 is the most important one IMO. The fact is that in this country known thugs can walk freely and the Gardai can't do a damn thing about it because either the law isn't strong enough when it comes to thuggery, or the judges continue to let people off with suspended sentences.

I'm getting tired of seeing people suggesting "solutions" which will inconvenience decent members of society as much as anyone else. There's no problem with getting drunk for a lot of people, it's what you do afterwards that counts. Blanketly banning things instead of dealing with specifics is a problem endemic in Irish governance and it gets us absolutely nowhere.

I don't think there is ANYONE on Boards who will disagree with me when I say, next time I hear of somebody stabbing somebody else, I don't want to hear "Mr Justice _____ sentenced him to 2 years, suspended for..."

For the love of God start giving people real penalties for crimes involving physical violence. Our legal system and our justice laws are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

V_Moth wrote: »
    Some excellent suggestions there, but there is no need to insult whatever group are causing the problems as it makes you look close-minded.

I wonder if the time limit for arresting somebody for disordrly behaviour (00.00 to 07.00) was to prevent it being used in a corrupt manner (such as at political demonstrations). Maybe a derogation could be brought in for future large gigs?

Maybe the suggestion that liberals should go and shite is a bit far, but it seems that any time there is a suggestion that crime is cracked down on - the law breaker's rights always take precedence.

As I suggested this idea to my boss, he immediately pointed out the related insurance issues with putting drunk people in a room. Bah. This is why nothing gets done in this country <enter more rant words>.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Have to say you're way out of touch with reality.

Ireland's glut of drug-related murders are better described as gang-related murders, the vast majority are members of drug-dealing gangs killing each other over territory or perceived slights or wrongdoings, or tragic cases of mistaken identity in attempted gangland hits. The situation is not people smoking a joint and deciding they want to kill someone.

This young man was most certainly not drunk and high when he caused damage at a shopping centre trying to chase down someone who bumped into his car, he couldn't have turned himself into a Garda station if he was. If he had caught the person it's fair to say he wasn't about to calmly ask him for his insurance details.

He more than likely has serious anger issues and he hails from an estate where social problems of all kinds are rife. That in no way can justify his actions, and he deserves stern punishment for them, his actions are his responsibitlity at 23. Millions of other people were at that concert and lots of other concerts and lots of other parties around the world and indulged in drink and recreational drugs over this weekend and every other that have never slapped anyone never mind stabbed anyone.

You're entitled to your opinion that taking recreational drugs (and I include alcohol in that category) is wrong and it's certainly not the healthiest way to spend your life, but your idea that it's the sole cause of this stabbing incident is reminiscent of those cult "Beware the Reefer Monster!" posters from 1930's America.

Just because drink is legal doesn't make it safer, don't be so naive. It's involved in more deaths than any other drug apart from tobacco which, you guessed it, is also legal.

100% agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 immersive

How terrible he's a fantastic musician.........if case you cant tell Im being sarcastic

Nothing worse than someone slagging off someone else because of their taste in music. It would be pretty boring if we all listened to the same music, wore the same clothes, all played golf, loved chinese etc etc etc. Each to their own,its the diversity that makes the world go round. You don't like Calvin Harris's music. Big deal. Just happens he has hundreds of thousands of fans worldwide. His gigs sell out rapidly. He is one of the most in demand producers in the world along with the house mafia. Wow, even urban acts, popstars and acts such as coldplay are turning to these dance producers now to help them sell some singles/albums! Says a lot. But of course being a producer is so easy. It soesnt take years of practice to hone and develop the skills both technically and musically. A lot of people on this forum make me laugh. Music is about creativity from the mind whether that creativity comes through a computer based synthesizer or instrument or a physical instrument. Plus mastering a computer based DAW can be as tedious and a lot harder than learning a "real instrument"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Being drunk or out of it on whatever drug means nothing if they stab someone
    Anyone could just go and stab someone so blaming drugs on it doesnt justify anything
    If that person is aggressive anyway and someone just annoys them for some reason he doesn have to be drunk or out of it to stab them

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Higher wrote: »
    I have feeling that most of the people involved in the violence on Saturday were very much the losers of the Celtic Tiger years actually.

The problem is they have no respect for our police from a young age because our police are soft and cowardly. Essentially they have no fear for authority and feel they can act however they want.

I have absolutely no doubt that you would be the first to accuse the garda of using too much force if they manhandled a few of these young thugs. I 'd say you are that kind of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

i cant believe people are still blaming drugs for the violence. I know they may be to blame for the od's but that because they took too much, the same will happen if you drink too much alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

immersive wrote: »
    Nothing worse than someone slagging off someone else because of their taste in music. It would be pretty boring if we all listened to the same music, wore the same clothes, all played golf, loved chinese etc etc etc. Each to their own,its the diversity that makes the world go round. You don't like Calvin Harris's music. Big deal. Just happens he has hundreds of thousands of fans worldwide. His gigs sell out rapidly. He is one of the most in demand producers in the world along with the house mafia. Wow, even urban acts, popstars and acts such as coldplay are turning to these dance producers now to help them sell some singles/albums! Says a lot. But of course being a producer is so easy. It soesnt take years of practice to hone and develop the skills both technically and musically. A lot of people on this forum make me laugh. Music is about creativity from the mind whether that creativity comes through a computer based synthesizer or instrument or a physical instrument. Plus mastering a computer based DAW can be as tedious and a lot harder than learning a "real instrument"

There are a lot of things worse, actually, one of which is people bloody whining and crying because somebody else doesn't like what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Being drunk or out of it on whatever drug means nothing if they stab someone
    Anyone could just go and stab someone so blaming drugs on it doesnt justify anything
    If that person is aggressive anyway and someone just annoys them for some reason he doesn have to be drunk or out of it to stab them

Drugs/drink reduce inhibitions so naturally it reveals people's true colours.

The saying goes "A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts". The same could be said about a drunk man's actions.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I've taken a fair few drugs in my youth - if the lad in question was on drugs chances are I've taken the same as him at some point. I've never had the inclination to stab anyone though, in fact I've never been in trouble while on drugs at all.

A very good point and one worth exploring on a separate thread.
    Why do some people act violently on drugs and others on the same drug don't ?
    Is it the drug or the person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

Without trying to go off topic, I reckon it's definately the person.

Why can't coeliacs tolerate gluten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

mikom wrote: »

Bigotry I suppose.

mikom wrote: »

Who did they stab Mikom?

• Advertisement

Who did they stab Mikom?

Old Mr Brennan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Would you see anything like this at a concert in Galway or Cork? I sincerely doubt it.

The scum of Dublin showing their true colours once again, these are the guys we should be packing off to foreign shores, not our talented young professionals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Paracore wrote: »
    Would you see anything like this at a concert in Galway or Cork? I sincerely doubt it.

The scum of Dublin showing their true colours once again, these are the guys we should be packing off to foreign shores, not our talented young professionals.

They'll never leave, they wouldn't get the same rates leeching off the welfare system elsewhere, and they wouldn't get the same soft treatment from the judicial system. Far too often, there is some high profile manslaughter or murder trial where we learn the perpetrator had 50-100 convictions plus.

I think someone has already pointed out in this case, the assailant had 20 previous convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

It would probably be worse in my opinion, they would just get the bus down.

Galway gets alot of stag/hen parties and people seem to think that just because they're not in their own town they can wreck the place.
    The same thing would happen regardless of location so in the end it comes down to security/policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

of course you would

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

oh shut the fúck up with that crap will ye? fúcking idiot... yes no one has ever been stabbed in ireland... especially not in LIMERICK...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

All my points were controllable accidents. Every accident is controllable and can be avoided. Crossing the road in a dangerous place, leaving a chip pan unattended, getting a disease from smoking etc. None of them nessessary either. The person takes a risk and suffers the consequenses which is exactly what you were saying. You've now changed it from "taking a risk, no sympathy", to "it's illegal, no sympathy".
    Your change of stance means that you've at least copped on that you were talking shíte, but you don't even know it.
    And "drugs are for idiots" but you drink. Sums up your argument really.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingK

Far too much ****e being spouted on this thread. Drugs,alcohol??? Doesn't matter the bastard was taking or drinking, for someone to go stabbing people is just an utter scum bag, simple as !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I know the rules about defamation and MCD but ^^^^ seriously, is defaming Dubliners ok? I live in Leitrim (yep, that sleepy county that everyone forgets about) and I am sure that many culchies that went to the concert from here, went there for the messing and not the music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 alisirish

Was at the gig myself sat....had a real great day and never felt in any danger or anything whatsoever....quite the oppoiste it was an amazing day lots of dancing singing drinking and yes some people on drugs ....there was a great atmosphere and great banter were i was....there has been a real over the top reaction to it....it wasn't hell on earth or a bloodbath as people are making out....proberly people who were not even there

Granted some people got stabbed and it should not happen.....but people get stabbed every bloddy weekend in this country why are people so shocked it happened at a concert rather than a street corner.....how many other people around the country were stabbed over the weekend i wonder?....im not saying bad things didn't happen at the concert they did....but alot worse things happen in every city in this country every weekend so i dont understand peoples fuss over this one concert....sat was a great day and im sure most people who went would say the exact same....wish it would stop being protrayed as something it wasn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement