Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swedish house mafia stabbings (Updated Mod Warning Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

immersive wrote: »
    Still making great underground music. He does the chart stuff for everybody for the bucks. The GUetta that produces most of the number ones these days is the not the real Guetta. But the real Guetta still exists. He does it all.....because he can.

I've seen him DJ plenty of times over the last 15 years. At one point I would have found his type of house acceptable. He sold out a long time ago and even his so called "underground" stuff is tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

rarnes1 wrote: »
    There should be a mandatory sentence for someone caught carrying a knife - 5 years at least imo.

If you carry a knife you must intend to use it at some stage.

I read somewhere that there is a 5 year mandatory sentence but some judges not giving it still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I'm not fluent in gibberish.

Kneecapping someone is worse than punching them, still isn't attempted murder.

Yes you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

There should be a mandatory sentence for someone caught carrying a knife - 5 years at least imo.

They've become quite severe about carrying knives in the UK since the huge increase in knife crime. I was watching one of those police interceptor shows (something like that anyway) and they found a knife in some young lads car. He ended up in jail for a few years, can't remember exactly what the sentence was though.

Maybe it's time our own laws were looked at if knife crime here is following the same pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I used to work in security at these events and we were grossly untrained and unprepared for the situations demanded of us. Security has been the dayjob for me since I was 18, so I actually had some training, but most people I worked with were lads looking for a handy few bob and got no training or preparation whatsoever. Just told to stand on a random gate, given no particular instructions, then shouted at for not knowing what they were doing.

I'd imagine that the promoters of these events (are we still not allowed say their names?) rake in the cash with the numbers going. So where's that money going? Is it lining their pockets instead of investing it in the safety of those involved? I get that they're running a business, but profit should not come before safety. If you can't provide the people with adequate safety, you shouldn't be allowed to run these events. But these companies are too big, by now, for an Irish government to make such demands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

A few of my friends carry knives. One of them is in the army reserves, another is a scout leader. Neither of them regularly kill people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

A few of my friends carry knives. One of them is in the army reserves, another is a scout leader. Neither of them regularly kill people.

That's all well and good, I'm sure there are many professions that require carrying a knife, a stanley blade comes to mind for a lot of trades, but your friends (like anyone else) would have no need to carry a knife when out doing their shopping, going to the pub for a drink or to a gig unless they had some intention to use it. Obviously if people are in possession of knives in the course of their work, there would be a level of understanding applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Kneecapping someone is worse than punching them, still isn't attempted murder.

More chance of dying from a stab wound. And it's still very blase to describe it as "being an arsehole".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

I brought a big knife and a birthday cake to my friend's house for her birthday once.

To be fair though, I did stab a few lads that night.
    RichieD wrote: »
    Scumbags tend to like ****e music, especially ****e dance music & ****e rap/hip hop.

Combine that with it being a lovely sunny day, during the summer when they are off from school/fas courses and being a saturday after they have colelcted their dole or childrens allowance on the thursday.

Its a perfect storm

Now now, this is just an absurd generalisation. I, for one, get my dole on a Tuesday :pac:

leggo wrote: »
    I'd imagine that the promoters of these events (are we still not allowed say their names?) rake in the cash with the numbers going.

Get with the times man. We've been allowed say MCD here for years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You must have some fairly sh*tty nights if a night where you got punched and kicked at random by strangers counts as one of the best in your life.

I already said two seconds of my night is hardly going to ruin the whole thing, some people here are idiots.

The show put on by swedish house mafia was absolutely unbelievable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Prop Joe wrote: »
    If you buy pills the weekend or occasionally or whenever do you not know that the few quid you throw the dealer indirectly ends up in the pockets of the biggest scummers in Ireland who cause so much pain in this county.

I try my best not to break the law in all aspects of life especially not aiding criminals.

Just can't see how someone can justify giving money to these scum in exchange for a bit of a buzz for a few hours.

Yes but you are viewing this problem linearly when it is one that is actually tied up in an unnecessary loop. Nobody wants to give their money to scumbags but that is the situation that legislation has created. In Prohibition America you would have been giving your money to scumbags as that is the only place alcohol could be purchased. An issue legislation created and then reversed by legalising alcohol. Same argument could be made for marijuana, ecstasy etc. Regulate the selling and purify the output and you reduce the risk of taking but, more importantly, you remove the criminal element. Hence the reason we all saw Head Shops burning. They were (at the time) legally cornering drug dealers out of the market.

You share the same opinion on this as my parents would (i'm 30 btw) but it is this attitude, while good-hearted, which is ignorantly exacerbating the problem

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Did he take much or just have an odd reaction to it?
    He used to tell me at how "safe" these drugs were, and used them regularly enough. I don't know how many he had taken, but I'm sure he had enough. I don't know him that well but was chatting to him after the incident for a bit. Not a "scumbag" either.
    Alcohol poisoning isn't the same as choking on one's own vomit.
    Alcohol poisioning can bring on vomiting, the most common way to die from alcohol I think is choking in your own vomit, not overdosing from the actual substance.

Nick

More chance of dying from a stab wound. And it's still very blase to describe it as "being an arsehole".
    It's still not a particularly high chance. And someone who slashes people is an arsehole, I could maybe call them other names, work myself up about it, maybe have a **** but that's just not how I roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,313 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I read somewhere that there is a 5 year mandatory sentence but some judges not giving it still.

I'd well believe that. Some sob stories about broken families or whatever no doubt.

We're too fúcking leniant in this country. Carrying a lethal weapon should be a clear cut case.

I already said two seconds of my night is hardly going to ruin the whole thing, some people here are idiots.

I've got way better night out memories than you apparently.

I hope your life improves dramatically.

yoyo wrote: »
    He used to tell me at how "safe" these drugs were, and used them regularly enough. I don't know how many he had taken, but I'm sure he had enough. I don't know him that well but was chatting to him after the incident for a bit. Not a "scumbag" either.
    One bad experience, sounds safe enough :pac: I know tonnes of people who did it more than regularly without any close calls.
    Alcohol poisioning can bring on vomiting, the most common way to die from alcohol I think is choking in your own vomit, not overdosing from the actual substance.

Nick
    Exactly, the choking on vomit is more common so it doesn't even take getting to the point of alcohol poisoning for most direct alcohol-related deaths.

It's still not a particularly high chance.

That really depends where they're stabbed doesn't it?
    I could maybe call them other names, work myself up about it, maybe have a **** but that's just not how I roll.

Wow, you don't **** about stabbings? How hip, alternative and unusual are you? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

leggo wrote: »
    I used to work in security at these events and we were grossly untrained and unprepared for the situations demanded of us. Security has been the dayjob for me since I was 18, so I actually had some training, but most people I worked with were lads looking for a handy few bob and got no training or preparation whatsoever. Just told to stand on a random gate, given no particular instructions, then shouted at for not knowing what they were doing.

I'd imagine that the promoters of these events (are we still not allowed say their names?) rake in the cash with the numbers going. So where's that money going? Is it lining their pockets instead of investing it in the safety of those involved? I get that they're running a business, but profit should not come before safety. If you can't provide the people with adequate safety, you shouldn't be allowed to run these events. But these companies are too big, by now, for an Irish government to make such demands.

Agreed but in commercial practice it is considerations like licensing laws and insurance implications that keep most companies engaging in these events in line

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

The druggies on this thread trying to justify their purchasing of their coke and yokes is gas.

They dont want to be lumped in with the heroin zombies you see zonked out on Marlborough Street but your only one step away from them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Yes but you are viewing this problem linearly when it one that is actually tied up in an unnecessary loop. Nobody wants to give their money to scumbags but that is the situation that legislation has created. In Prohibition America you would have been giving your money to scumbags as that is the only place alcohol could be purchased. An issue legislation created and then reversed by legalising alcohol. Same argument could be made for marijuana, ecstasy etc. Regulate the selling and purify the output and you reduce the risk of taking but, more importantly, you remove the criminal element. Hence the reason we all saw Head Shops burning. They were (at the time) legally cornering drug dealers out of the market.

You share the same opinion on this as my parents would (i'm 30 btw) but it is this attitude, while good-hearted, is ignorantly exacerbating the problem

This is a cop out. Recreational drugs are not a necessity being kept for you. You hand your money to criminals completely of your own free will in exchange for drugs. If you are unhappy with the law you can campaign for it to be changed or move to a jurisdiction which allows drugs. But don't try and relieve your guilty conscience by saying the government made you do it. You make the choice to use the drugs and to buy them from dealers. It's all on you.

:rolleyes:
    Do they bring them to gigs?

Obviously, people like your mates have reason to carry knives and possibly have a licence to carry one at times?*

*Not sure if such a licence exists

That really depends where they're stabbed doesn't it?
    Running from person to person, unless you're grabbing them and slicing their necks, it's pretty unlikely. Given the numbers and how quickly they were released I don't think it's Jack The Ripper-type slashings that happened.
    Wow, you don't **** about stabbings? How hip, alternative and unusual are you? :pac:
    Almost enough to have gone to the gig ironically.

The druggies on this thread trying to justify their purchasing of their coke and yokes is gas.

They dont want to be lumped in with the heroin zombies you see zonked out on Marlborough Street but there only one step away from them

http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/images/1310480585093.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LeftFull

Solution: Ban this generic, bass-heavy, synth-squealing, cheesy-vocal, hands-in-the-air-like-you-just-don't-care happy crappy fake house music from being made along with their pre-recorded ''DJ'' ''concerts'' and please god, natural selection will take care of the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

I've got way better night out memories than you apparently.

I hope your life improves dramatically.

ok so your having an unbelievable night out, having a great time with your friends listening and watching some fantastic music. You get kicked in the stomach and are slightly winded for a about 2 seconds and then you forget about it and thus this night automatically becomes the worst night out ever?

Hope my life improves dramatically? Why does my life need to improve? Im not going to run home crying in the middle of concert and start whinging about something so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Junoesque

They are essential in the process of preparing food for cooking, and subsequent eating of that food.

Its clear from this that there are some people who should be sentenced to a life time eating alone using fingers only. Tragic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭amacca

Funny thing is I would've thought it'd gone up in the last 5 years but in my own experience it doesn't seem to have. My dad has loads of war stories from 40-25 years ago that makes several towns come across like warzones.

funny, my dad has stories too..but none of them involved stabbings, hiv infected needles, unprovoked attacks etc

maybe he just lived a very sheltered life??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

immersive wrote: »
    Lumbo wrote: »
    Yeah, his music's terrible.

Still making great underground music. He does the chart stuff for everybody for the bucks. The GUetta that produces most of the number ones these days is the not the real Guetta. But the real Guetta still exists. He does it all.....because he can.

ah.. see. the real guetta exists, somewhere.. underground. just he chooses to go public with embarrassing sell-out David. Where dem girls at?!

When scandinavian nurds up on a podium behind their apple logo are the new rockstars, making a fortune from a veritable prerecording of blips n bleeps it's no wonder the worlds awash with automated music; idiots.. digital air whoosing out of cones. Whooosh.. Can you literally feel it? hardly about the music now, is it.. speaker physics. how low can you go. Low as the sub-bass levels, undiminished. 5miles away.

Why us rave basically a metronome, micmicking a heartbeat? apart from permeating peoples heads with machinery from a great distance like it was downstairs.. it's to try stimulate em back to life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭amacca

its not a mandatory sentence then is it?....gotta love either the justice system or judges failure to understand the word mandatory

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement