Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

gerryo777 wrote: »
    That was down to 650,000 at the beginning of this month.

I stand corrected.
    That's still a hell of a lot of people though.
    Even if it was down to 100,000 people, that's a hell of a lot of court cases etc.

When the real annual cost is announced next year I reckon more people won't pay, they'll know who they are but sure as the saying goes ' you can't get blood out of a stone'.

There's nothing left.

Ten or twenty court cases would do it me thinks then there would be an almighty stampede of people looking to pay up penalties and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Hijpo

every cut the make seems to steer people into renting rather than trying to own there own home, i wonder how many politicians have a lucrative number houses available to rent... i wonder how many politicians owe money to developers who own a multitude of houses for rent.

just a thought....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Hijpo wrote: »
    just a thought....
    ... a deeply paranoid thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

I heard on the news today that Phil is sending out letters from tomorrow to anyone who did'nt pay. Yis'll be all caught now.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I waiting to see if I get one of these letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Seriously, though, I was just thinking last night, you know that it is said that various people are exempt. Well, one class of people that is exempt are people living in social housing, ie, council tenants, rental etc. Now, the way I see it, I am paying a mortgage. So, technically speaking, I don't own the house until I am finished paying for it. Simple analysis is, I am paying a lot more money to a lender than my good friend around the corner is paying to the council, so why is my friend exempt and I have to pay. Incidently, my friend's income is three times higher than mine, although thats neither here nor there.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

hondasam wrote: »
    I waiting to see if I get one of these letters.

I hope I do, I was just running out of toilet paper ;):D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Sorry Darkhorse, apparently, having a mortgage makes you wealthy and so, deserving of a wealth tax.
    Foolish were we, that didnt just stick our name on a list and wait for the government to house us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I see that Enda has let "big phil" back out of his box to play again.

Big Phil blows 12 grand of tax payers money on a luxury trip to Brazil,and he thinks hes in a position to lord it over us over the 100 euro household charge.

He claims that 60% have paid the 100 euro charge.

He doesnt even know how many houses are in Ireland,so he shouild shut the fcuk up with these silly false figures and stop trying to scare/threaten people.

No one is scared of him or even cares what he says anymore.
    Everyone sees through him now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

darkhorse wrote: »
    I heard on the news today that Phil is sending out letters from tomorrow to anyone who did'nt pay. Yis'll be all caught now.:D

If I get one those letters in the morning, Il be uploading it on here tomorrow afternoon, of course Il have my name blackened out, with a march and protest to the dail in two weeks, maybe a good old fashioned mass letter burning exercise outside the dail gates might happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Am Chile wrote: »
    If I get one those letters in the morning, Il be uploading it on here tomorrow afternoon, of course Il have my name blackened out, with a march and protest to the dail in two weeks, maybe a good old fashioned mass letter burning exercise outside the dail gates might happen.

Fcuk burning letters.......Can we burn politicians??:D:D

Seen as we cant (or wont) burn bondholders.:rolleyes::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I can guarantee you that with rental properties the reminders will go to the property address rather than the address of the owner.
    tenants who are renting will bin these straight away, another huge waste of money by the Hulkster.

Am Chile wrote: »
    [...], with a march and protest to the dail in two weeks, maybe a good old fashioned mass letter burning exercise outside the dail gates might happen.
    The tax evasion campaign has consistently failed to organise mass protests - the idea that they'll organise one now that the campaign has fizzled out is laughable.

I can guarantee you that with rental properties the reminders will go to the property address rather than the address of the owner.
    tenants who are renting will bin these straight away, another huge waste of money by the Hulkster.
    Tenants will bin mail addressed to the landlord? That doesn't make sense. Why?

dvpower wrote: »
    The tax evasion campaign has consistently failed to organise mass protests - the idea that they'll organise one now that the campaign has fizzled out is laughable.
    For most, just not registering and not paying the original €100 will be as far as their protest goes.

When the letter arrives, they'll just get a cheque for €10 each month until it's paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

donalg1 wrote: »
    Ten or twenty court cases would do it me thinks then there would be an almighty stampede of people looking to pay up penalties and all.

instead they are still pursuing the softly softly approach. some folk though three months to pay actually claimed they were not given enough time.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    instead they are still pursuing the softly softly approach. some folk though three months to pay actually claimed they were not given enough time.

I know the softly softly approach was never going to work, people should've been told you have til the 31st March to pay after which the registration fee will increase by €20 per month thereafter, and refusal to pay will result in you being brought to court. Forget this stupid €10 late fee with the 1% interest, that is hardly a deterrant not to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

dvpower wrote: »
    Tenants will bin mail addressed to the landlord? That doesn't make sense. Why?

Because surely the landlord will have aranged for appropriate mail to be sent to his / her address - in my case mortgage corrspondence, management company letters etc all come to my own address. I certainly wouldn't expect my tenants to watch out for mail to me, and forward it on....they probably get mail for previous tenants that they just throw in the bin, and I am sure anything addressed to me goes with it - likely just mailshots, junk mail and the like. I wouldn't have faith in my tenants to watch out for brown envelopes with harps on the back.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

I know the softly softly approach was never going to work, people should've been told you have til the 31st March to pay after which the registration fee will increase by €20 per month thereafter, and refusal to pay will result in you being brought to court. Forget this stupid €10 late fee with the 1% interest, that is hardly a deterrant not to pay.

Good man donal.

Hope your still saying that a year from now.

Broken record much.

Can't believe your still on here cheerleading this tax and encouraging bigger fines.

• Advertisement

Good man donal.

Why wouldnt I be saying it, I have paid it so the late fees and penalties dont apply to me, the book should be thrown at anyone refusing to pay their taxes. And silly small late fees and penalties are never going to work. If peoples charges were building up at €20 per month a lot more would have paid by now especially considering that today the amount owed would be €180 and not €114, although I would think the Govt are happy enough for people to pay now and over the next few months as it just means more money for them.

True, I wonder what Joe Duffy will have to say about it today. there will surely be string of callers claiming not to be able afford two euro a week.

Good man donal.

Broken record much.

Can't believe your still on here cheerleading this tax and encouraging bigger fines.

Well I cant believe you are still here cheerleading non payment of taxes.

And I dont think I am cheerleading this tax I am simply saying people would need more of an incentive to pay it as the softly softly approach obviously was never going to work.

steve9859 wrote: »
    Because surely the landlord will have aranged for appropriate mail to be sent to his / her address - in my case mortgage corrspondence, management company letters etc all come to my own address. I certainly wouldn't expect my tenants to watch out for mail to me, and forward it on....they probably get mail for previous tenants that they just throw in the bin, and I am sure anything addressed to me goes with it - likely just mailshots, junk mail and the like. I wouldn't have faith in my tenants to watch out for brown envelopes with harps on the back.....
    You're saying that tenants wouldn't recognise their landlords name on official correspondence and would throw in the bin rather than even returning it to sender?
    I occasionally get mail misdirected to be and I wouldn't dream of simply throwing it in the bin - I'd always return it or redirect it.

Strange.

Good man donal.

Broken record much.

every citizen has a responsibility to help get this country get back on track. bitching about the poor state of economy and making no financial contribution does not help. unless I ma mistaken the Irish worker pays the least amount of tax in the EU. The EU is not going o continue giving us handouts indefinitely. where is the money going to come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

He cant believe it himself....
    Good god the same handful of people here still banging on about the household charge aren't you bored yet?
    Broken record much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

every citizen has a responsibility to help get this country get back on track. bitching about the poor state of economy and making no financial contribution does not help. unless I ma mistaken the Irish worker pays the least amount of tax in the EU. The EU is not going o continue giving us handouts indefinitely. where is the money going to come from?

He could try asking the people in the council/social housing with access to libraries and parks to cough up for their amenities maybe? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

every citizen has a responsibility to help get this country get back on track.

Yet there's so many that contribute nothing. Not only to the country, but also to society.

/gets popcorn.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    He cant believe it himself....

Well lets see Robbie, I have 49 posts here (50 now) you have 199 and Gerry has 300, bit of a difference really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Some citizens should help more than others dont you mean? As in, people who saved the government the cost of housing them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement