Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason Thread 2012-2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Who do you all think are the big winners and losers of the 2012 draft then lads? Also, what do you think of Charlotte refusing numerous trade offers to stay at number 2 and pick Michael Kidd-Gilchrist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Looks like KG is coming back!

Phew.

Apparently a three year deal, $34 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,826 ✭✭✭nerd69

Masked Man wrote: »
    Looks like KG is coming back!

Phew.

Apparently a three year deal, $34 million.
    3 years? Glad he's coming back but how do you go from retiring to a 3 year contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

I personally thought Garnett was finished.

His legs are completely gone and he's no longer a young stud.

I suppose money talks but I only see him tainting his legacy staying on like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

nerd69 wrote: »
    3 years? Glad he's coming back but how do you go from retiring to a 3 year contract

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't last 3 years. KG is one player I could see retiring and leaving money on the table.
    insanity50 wrote: »

I suppose money talks but I only see him tainting his legacy staying on like this.

Yeah, no.

He has career earning of $291,362,398 (second behind Shaq, this deal can put him over). He had interest from other teams but said that he was retiring or staying with the Celtics. There was a lot of stuff that said the only person KG will play for is Doc because of his loyalty to him and the organization.

KG deserves a lot more respect than "money talks".

• Advertisement

insanity50 wrote: »

he was one of the best players in the playoffs i think hel play center this year and unless we pick up a free agent he could end up starting as i dont think melos ready to start yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

So does anyone think Ray Allen will end up at the Heat?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Depends on what he wants next year tbh. If he wants a title then yes. If he wants to get some money to have a more comfortable retirement then he'll stay with the Celtics or go somewhere else. The most the Heat can offer is 3million. Other teams have made it clear they'd be interested.

Speaking of shooting guards, the Suns have declared they'll be making a strong offer for Eric Gordon. The Hornets would be expected to match that though.

Hope not i love ray i dont want to root against him

Depends on what he wants next year tbh. If he wants a title then yes. If he wants to get some money to have a more comfortable retirement then he'll stay with the Celtics or go somewhere else. The most the Heat can offer is 3million. Other teams have made it clear they'd be interested.

Memphis are apparently going to ''go hard after him'' and will offer the full mid-level exception of $5m per season, with some places reporting they'll offer him a 4 year deal to tempt him away from Miami, so that obviously totals $20m in all. If that turns out to be true I'd be amazed if anyone was willing or able to match that.

However, I don't think money will play that much of a part in this and I'm going to guess that he'll commit to the Heat shortly after free agency opens.

• Advertisement

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--brandon-roy-to-meet-with-bulls--pacers--mavericks-and-timberwolves.html
    Former Portland Trail Blazers star Brandon Roy has narrowed his free-agent finalists to the Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks, Indiana Pacers, Minnesota Timberwolves and Golden State Warriors, league sources said. He expects to hold meetings with those teams over the next several days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Masked Man wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't last 3 years. KG is one player I could see retiring and leaving money on the table.

Yeah, no.

He has career earning of $291,362,398 (second behind Shaq, this deal can put him over). He had interest from other teams but said that he was retiring or staying with the Celtics. There was a lot of stuff that said the only person KG will play for is Doc because of his loyalty to him and the organization.

KG deserves a lot more respect than "money talks".

I agree, some people just don't have a clue.
    He is also one of the best conditioned athletes in the NBA, he really takes care of himself.
    He struggled a bit after the knee problems but really showed this year in the playoffs what a great player he is.

Paully D wrote: »
    Who do you all think are the big winners and losers of the 2012 draft then lads? Also, what do you think of Charlotte refusing numerous trade offers to stay at number 2 and pick Michael Kidd-Gilchrist?

It is all a lottery at the end of the day and only time will tell but on the face of it, it looks like New Orleans have done extremely well out of it, could be a quick enough turn around for the franchise.
    I think MKG could well be a bit of a game changer for the Bobcats, don't know what trades were offered but he has the potential to be a great player.

Pretty pleased with my team, The Warriors and their picks, Barnes has bags of talent and potential, could be a steal, they also got a decent big man plus a very solid player in Green. Nothing too fancy but these players could jump straight in and help the team push for a playoff spot I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Borisss

Still shocked that the Thunder could pick up Perry Jones III so late on.

That kid was worth the risk from a much earlier spot.

List of top free agents from Hoopshype, full list here
    http://hoopshype.com/free_agent_rankings.htm

Point Guards - Shooting Guards - Small Forwards - Power Forwards - Centers
    .Deron Williams Latest Rumors
    pic
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-3 / Brooklyn Nets / 21.0 ppg, 8.7 apg, 1.2 spg
    Williams is arguably one of the best guards in the NBA and would be welcomed by any team he covets. His best possible destinations are Dallas and the Los Angeles Lakers, but the best spot for him is right where he is in Brooklyn. The opportunity to play in New York and help the Nets become a winner would validate his career.
    POSSIBLE DESTINATIONS: Dallas, LA Lakers
    Agent

2011/12 Earnings

Career Earnings

Commercials
    Jeff Schwartz

$16,359,805

$59,940,386

9 / 21st
    .Roy Hibbert Latest Rumors
    pic
    Restricted / Center / 7-2 / Indiana Pacers / 12.8 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 2.0 bpg
    Hibbert is the fourth best pure center in the NBA behind Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum and Marc Gasol. He has evolved into a go-to player that commands a double team and would be a major acquisition for any team.
    POSSIBLE DESTINATIONS: Dallas, Portland
    Agent

2011/12 Earnings

Career Earnings

Commercials
    David Falk

$2,588,590

$7,314,590

-
    .Eric Gordon Latest Rumors
    pic
    Restricted / Shooting Guard / 6-3 / New Orleans Hornets / 18.5 ppg, 3.1 apg
    Injuries curtailed what initially looked like the beginning of a solid season last year. Gordon is a physical dynamo who gets to the basket at will. When you back off of him, he shoots the jumper like an All-Star.
    POSSIBLE DESTINATIONS: Indiana, Phoenix, Houston
    Agent

2011/12 Earnings

Career Earnings

Commercials
    Rob Pelinka

$3,831,590

$12,290,944

4 / 45th
    .Steve Nash Latest Rumors
    pic
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-3 / Phoenix Suns / 12.5 ppg, 10.7 apg, 3.0 rpg
    Nash had another tremendous season despite adding on another year in age. He is the best conditioned player in all of the NBA and that is why he will be in big demand this offseason.
    POSSIBLE DESTINATIONS: Chicago, Toronto, New York
    Agent

2011/12 Earnings

Career Earnings

Commercials
    Bill Duffy

$11,689,062

$119,035,120

32 / 4th
    .Kevin Garnett Latest Rumors
    pic
    Unrestricted / Power Forward / 6-11 / Boston Celtics / 15.8 ppg, 8.2 rpg
    KG really showed age is nothing but a number if he is used correctly. He was the sole reason the Celtics had an opportunity to beat the Miami Heat and get to the Finals. His jump shot has gotten better. You could see him staying in Boston, but could also move on to a potential championship team next year.
    POSSIBLE DESTINATIONS: Brooklyn, San Antonio
    Agent

2011/12 Earnings

Career Earnings

Commercials
    Andy Miller

$21,200,000

$291,362,398

12 / 17th
    .Nicolas Batum Latest Rumors
    pic
    Restricted / Small Forward / 6-8 / Portland Trail Blazers / 13.9 ppg, 4.6 rpg
    Batum is a tad overrated, but has the ability to become consistently productive if he lands on a solid veteran team. Not an answer for a team looking for someone to produce double-figures every night, but very valuable in a role.
    POSSIBLE DESTINATIONS: San Antonio, Minnesota
    Agent

2011/12 Earnings

Career Earnings

Commercials
    Bouna Ndiaye

$2,155,364

$5,511,525

-
    .Tim Duncan Latest Rumors
    pic
    Unrestricted / Power Forward / 6-11 / San Antonio Spurs / 15.4 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 1.5 bpg
    He is the best leader in basketball and will keep leading in San Antonio. It would be a waste of time to call Duncan during free agency.
    POSSIBLE DESTINATIONS: -
    Agent

2011/12 Earnings

Career Earnings

Commercials
    Jim Tanner

$21,300,000

$204,709,155

25 / 8th
    .Andrei Kirilenko Latest Rumors
    Andrei Kirilenko
    Unrestricted / Small Forward / 6-9 / CSKA / 14.1 ppg, 7.5 rpg (Euroleague)
    AK47 played some of the best basketball in his career last season, leading CSKA Moscow to the Euroleague final and earning MVP accolades in the process. Wouldn't mind being a high-class role player in the NBA again. Prokhorov's Nets have long been rumored to be a possible destination for him.
    POSSIBLE DESTINATIONS: Brooklyn
    Agent

2011/12 Earnings

Career Earnings

Commercials
    Marc Fleisher

-

$91,447,414

-
    .Lou Williams Latest Rumors
    pic
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-1 / Philadelphia 76ers / 14.9 ppg, 3.5 apg
    Williams can score and will win the Sixth Man of the Year one of these seasons. Hard to imagine Philadelphia allowing him to leave for another team, but stranger things have happened.
    POSSIBLE DESTINATIONS: -
    Agent

2011/12 Earnings

Career Earnings

Commercials
    Leon Rose

$5,917,500

$21,533,319

-
    .OJ Mayo Latest Rumors
    pic
    Unrestricted / Shooting Guard / 6-4 / Memphis Grizzlies / 12.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg
    Mayo is underappreciated. He has shown that with the right team and opportunity he could become a starter with solid numbers every night. Might leave Memphis because he knows he will not start and they have tried to trade him in the past, which should irritate him
    POSSIBLE DESTINATIONS: Indiana, Boston, Brooklyn, Phoenix
    Agent

2011/12 Earnings

Career Earnings

Commercials
    Rob Pelinka

$5,632,636

$18,129,437

Anywhere giving odds on what teams players will join during the offseason? I've had a quick look but can't find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Raptors have offered Steve Nash a 3-year, $36 million deal apparently.

Houston Rockets have reached a verbal agreement with Bulls centre Omer Asik. $25.2m, 3 year deal. The deal is looking like this:

Year 1: $5m, Year 2: $5.2m, Year 3: $15m

To put that into perspective, only 19 players in the entire league will currently make $15m or more in a season.

Whilst I'd have liked to keep him as he's excellent defensively, he's very limited offensively and I was worried that because the Bulls were sending out lots of signals about keeping him that they'd match even a relatively big offer, there's no chance they match that as it's a cap killer with the contract being back loaded.

All the best to him in the future but that contract is crazy IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Really hope the Pacers can hold onto Roy Hibbert. The Trail Blazers have made a max offer which the Pacers have to match if they want to keep him.

Rockets seem desperate to make some moves, could all go horribly wrong for them i feel.

Fair enough if Nash wants to go to Canada but can't really see the Raptors offering too much in basketball terms.

Pacers will surely match the offer for Hibbert, hard to let a big men like him go.

I can't wait to see where Turiaf ends up, poor guy is only ranked 99 in that list of free agents even after winning a ring, I love the useless oaf :D.

Ray Allen at Miami would be scary, imagine all the open shots he would get...

• Advertisement

Ray Allen at Miami would be scary, imagine all the open shots he would get...

Agreed. It would basically be like having someone performing like Battier did in the finals, but every single night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Paully D wrote: »
    Houston Rockets have reached a verbal agreement with Bulls centre Omer Asik. $25.2m, 3 year deal. The deal is looking like this:

Year 1: $5m, Year 2: $5.2m, Year 3: $15m

Kind of a bad side-effect of the new CBA. The harder cap was supposed to prevent the formation of super-teams, but for teams who do things the right way, draft and develop talent well, it makes it hard for them to keep the team together.

If the Bulls lose Asik, kind of feel like we've been short-changed. He was fairly raw in his rookie year, he's developed under the Bulls (at least defensively where he's a monster), but the Bulls aren't going to see the fruits of that.

Not to blame Asik, part of the reason he's developed is because he's smart and a quick learner (reads the court well, has good positioning, and doesn't commit nearly as many fouls as he used to). He didn't develop offensively last year as much as I'd like, but there was no real pre-season, and very limited practice time with the condensed schedule. I was interested to see if he could develop some more offense with a full pre-season going into next year.

Also normally with a rookie, you'd have 4 years with the player before they became a restricted free agent. But because Asik spent 2 years after being drafted playing in Turkey, the Bulls only had him 2 years...1 rookie year where you don't get much production, and last year, before he's a restricted free agent, and the Rockets can come in and poach him.

I guess the Bulls knew this in advance when they drafted him, but doesn't seem exactly fair.

In general I think the harder cap is a good thing, with more distribution of talent, but this is an unfortunate side-effect. Sure the Bulls can match, but with the luxury-tax situation, it would probably mean losing Gibson/Deng/Noah further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭The Uninvited Guest

Can see Ray Ray re-signing with the C's with KG coming back. Miami can only offer $3m annually while Boston are reportedly going to offer 2 year $12m contract.

Can see Ray Ray re-signing with the C's with KG coming back. Miami can only offer $3m annually while Boston are reportedly going to offer 2 year $12m contract.

they could actually do pretty well this year again sullinger can start pretty quick and kg can teach him kg can come off the bench with bradley playing most of the mins and we have cap room to sign another decent free agent i would like another center on the roster but you cant have it all

my big concern is i fear where losing our flexibility for free agency next year

edit:
    aparently were close to resigning jeff green

Joe Johnson almost certainly gone to Brooklyn at this stage. Would mean DH12 is stuck in a hole. He's stupidly declared the Nets are the only team he's interested in. If Johnson goes to Brooklyn and Williams resigns along with Lopez then the Nets would only have 9million in cap left.

nerd69 wrote: »
    they could actually do pretty well this year again sullinger can start pretty quick and kg can teach him kg can come off the bench with bradley playing most of the mins and we have cap room to sign another decent free agent i would like another center on the roster but you cant have it all

my big concern is i fear where losing our flexibility for free agency next year

edit:
    aparently were close to resigning jeff green

I think they'll be a playoff team, probably a lower seed though. Ray Allen could move and Brandon Bass will more then likely go also (he has 6 teams interested). Thats 2 starters gone from the team. Sullinger is good but will take a season or 2 to adjust to the NBA. That's if he stays healthy which is a big if.

Wow Atlanta is really cutting loose. They're sending Marvin Williams to utah for Devin Harris. Harris has a cheaper contract. Josh Smith expected to be traded in the next few days also.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭The Uninvited Guest

Billy King is an idiot, can't believe the Nets are going to take on the league's worst contract on a player the wrong side of 30. $90m with 4 yearls left on his contract.

No doubt the Nets will be a playoff team next year if they re-sign Deron, trade for JJ, Crash, Kris Kardashian & Brook as a strating 5 but they are ****ing up their future cap flexibility with the JJ trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Joe Johnson almost certainly gone to Brooklyn at this stage. Would mean DH12 is stuck in a hole. He's stupidly declared the Nets are the only team he's interested in. If Johnson goes to Brooklyn and Williams resigns along with Lopez then the Nets would only have 9million in cap left.
    Aren't they re-signing Gerald Wallace? That would leave them pennies to pay for a PF and a whole bench.
    I really don't understand the JJ trade, can't see any way that it makes sense to take on his contract after his standard of play over the last few years.

• Advertisement

Lafortezza wrote: »
    Aren't they re-signing Gerald Wallace? That would leave them pennies to pay for a PF and a whole bench.
    I really don't understand the JJ trade, can't see any way that it makes sense to take on his contract after his standard of play over the last few years.
    The nets need wins mext year more importantly they need more than the Knicks

Advertisement