Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason Thread 2012-2013

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Rumors that Houston has traded Chase Budinger to Minnesota in return for the 18th overall pick. David Kahn building up a good team in Minny

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

-Ade- wrote: »
    Ray Allen to Miami looking possible. Probably to replace Miller I imagine.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4695557/sources-mutual-interest-between-allen-heat
    The Heat are one of the teams that will test the mechanics of the new collective bargaining agreement, which places a heavy burden on the big spenders in an effort to control competitive balance. This season the Heat will write a check for about $7 million in luxury tax. They are in position to have the third-highest payroll in the league next year at nearly $80 million, and that’s before signing a free agent. That will cost them $10 million in tax in 2013, and they will have to pay millions more in revenue sharing that also will go to their rivals, including the Oklahoma City Thunder. In the '13-14 season, when the new enhanced tax takes effect and the Heat already have in excess of $80 million committed, they are looking at a potential luxury-tax bill between $15-20 million. And just to repeat: That’s without signing any free agents this summer or next summer.

Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SoulGuy

Larry Bird steeping down as president of Pacers. Wow, unexpected. Great career after being a player, not common. Succeeded at every job after playing.

SoulGuy wrote: »
    Larry Bird steeping down as president of Pacers. Wow, unexpected. Great career after being a player, not common. Succeeded at every job after playing.

Didn't see that one coming but all the best to him in the future. The only person in NBA history to be named Most Valuable Player, Coach of the Year, and Executive of the Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

We know Anthony Davis is going #1, still pretty impressed with Chad Ford's assessment of him:
    1. Is Anthony Davis really all that?

Yes. He's all that.

It is rare when a prospect lives up to the hype. Davis has done that and more. Not only does he pass the smell test physically (ideal height, great athlete, huge wingspan), he also was superproductive as a freshman (highest player efficiency rating of any player in college basketball, highest score ever in John Hollinger's Draft Rater, elite rebounder and shot-blocker on the defensive end). Plus, he has all the right intangibles (super motor, tough, humble, hardworking, great attitude).

Physical tools? Check. Production? Check. Intangibles? Check.

Oh, and Davis led his NCAA team to a national title in his freshman year.

Winner? Check.

It is very rare when all four of these items align in a meaningful way.

Davis passes the NBA scout test, too. There isn't an NBA scout or NBA GM in the league who doesn't have him No. 1 on his board. I'll take it a step further. Every GM and scout I spoke with told me he'd take Davis No. 1 in the 2011, 2010, 2009 and 2008 drafts. Yes, ahead of Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, John Wall and Kyrie Irving.

So what are you worried about?

He needs to add weight. Fair enough. He does need to get stronger. So have other top prospects before him.

He reminds me of Marcus Camby. I've heard that one. Camby is probably his floor. Many GMs and scouts believe that players like Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett are his ceiling.

He might not make a major impact in Year 1. Maybe. But many said that about him coming into Kentucky, and he put that to rest by midseason.

In short, Davis is one of the best No. 1 picks to come along in a decade. Barring a Greg Oden-like rash of injuries, he's expected to be a multiyear All-Star.

• Advertisement

He's definitely bang on the money about him. It's good to see Davis continuing to get the hype that he's getting, because his brand of basketball is so different than most of the guys that usually get this kind of love. The fascinating fact about him is that he took the fourth most field goal attempts on his team this year. The National Player of the Year, sure fire #1 pick, and leader of the National Championship winner...and there were 3 other guys on his own team that took more shots than he did. He fits into a team concept and makes everyone around him better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Lots of talk on Twitter that Houston are making a play for Howard. I know he wants to go to Brooklyn but it seems Houston have loaded up on draft picks which will be attractive to an Orlando team that need a massive rebuild. I'd imagine Williams won't stay with the Nets unless Howard joins either.

Houston have a lot of cap space too so this could end up with Howard and Williams at the Rockets!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Paully, who do you follow on twitter for NBA updates?

http://bleacherreport.com/nba

bleacher report has loads of gossip/rumours/articles daily that can be good sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ashdale5

Rumours that the Celtics are looking to move up into the lottery. Could be an interesting night ahead.

Is the draft on tv anywhere?

Looking forward to the draft. Haven't followed college basketball closely, but this is what I've picked up from reading various things...

#1 - Anthony Davis.

#2-#6 - Michael Kidd-Gilchrist 6-8 SF, Bradley Beal 6-5 SG, Harrison Barnes 6-8 SF, Thomas Robinson 6-9 PF, Damian Lillard 6-3 PG.

Each of them are blue-chip players but not a lot of consensus on the order, so teams will draft according to their needs. I don't think there are any big risks here.

#7-#13 - potentially good players with some risk factors.

Interesting ones I've heard of in that range are Andre Drummond...7-footer with reported character issues, problems offensively (apparently shot an astonishing 29% from the free throw line), but on the other hand I've heard someone say he has best big body in the draft since Dwight Howard. Biggest risk-reward player in the draft.

Austin Rivers is another interesting one in that range. I liked what I saw of him at Duke (though could see he wasn't a complete player). Chad Ford is down on him, says he has Kobe's attitude but not his talent level (undersized and not as athletic), and he'd just be an inefficient ball-hog on an NBA team. He definitely goes top-15 but interesting to see how high he goes.

Apart from that, it's a deep draft and there are potential gems down to #30, so picks in the #20-#30 range can still be valuable.

I'm interested to see if a good team makes a big move into the top-6 (and teams like the Kings at #5 and Bobcats at #2 are reportedly open to trades).

The Hornets will be looking really good next year, Anthony Davis, the #10 pick, Eric Gordon, and I think Monty Williams is an excellent coach.

I don't think the Bulls will do the Deng trade. I think they'd want a top-5 pick to consider it, but I don't think they'll get that. If you have the #5 pick like the Kings, you could probably get Harrison Barnes, who's projected to be a similar player to Deng. So hard to see why they'd trade that pick for Deng, when Deng's expected miss the start of next season. And I don't think the Bulls would make the trade for an #8-#10 pick.

ashdale5 wrote: »
    Rumours that the Celtics are looking to move up into the lottery. Could be an interesting night ahead.

Is the draft on tv anywhere?

Looks like ESPN US have it, starting around midnight.

and NBA.tv have some preview programmes beforehand.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Interesting ones I've heard of in that range are Andre Drummond...7-footer with reported character issues, problems offensively (apparently shot an astonishing 29% from the free throw line), but on the other hand I've heard someone say he has best big body in the draft since Dwight Howard. Biggest risk-reward player in the draft.

Austin Rivers is another interesting one in that range. I liked what I saw of him at Duke (though could see he wasn't a complete player). Chad Ford is down on him, says he has Kobe's attitude but not his talent level (undersized and not as athletic), and he'd just be an inefficient ball-hog on an NBA team. He definitely goes top-15 but interesting to see how high he goes.

Chad Ford basically said that Drummond's ceiling is Dwight Howard, and his floor is Kwame Brown, and I agree. It's quite a terrifying or enticing range depending on how you look at it.

I think Rivers will be a solid player. He reminds me a bit of OJ Mayo, but I think he's a bit smarter. Probably a year or two away from contributing in any significant way though.

Looking forward to tonight.

Should be interesting to see what MJ does with the Bobcats. Apparently they have 5 offers for no.2. OKC has offered Harden for the pick. Should be a great night !

Just came across this now. The video scouting reports on Draft Express are really good, they have them for most of the first round players.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Wade is out of the Olympics. Requires knee surgery. Just got the notification on my phone.

http://www.coolsport.tv/schedule.php

Stream for the draft. Its not televised here.

The Bulls have made it pretty clear that they will draft Tyshawn Taylor at no.29 if he's available to be Derrick Roses backup next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

leggo wrote: »
    Wade is out of the Olympics. Requires knee surgery. Just got the notification on my phone.

Did he sound upset when he text you?

• Advertisement

5 minutes isn't a long time to make your pick, I get a minute and 30 seconds to make my fantasy-team picks and I'm sweating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

killwill wrote: »
    Did he sound upset when he text you?

Haha, no, not at all actually. Hang on, I have the text here:

"Fuk dat bro im out. If Dwite dont have to do dis then y d fuk shud i? Did u kno dey dont pay u 4 dis??! Ima buy sum cul glasses instead. PS: I got 2 rings now biatch :p"

Will post any further texts as they come in.

Cavs really wanted an SG, Waiters was projected to go lower.
    Really liked what I saw of Thomas Robinson, could've gone #2, Kings got a great pick.

Absolutely hate the pistons taking Drummond here. They have a great center already in Greg Monroe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

hornets could be very very good in 2-3 years davis and rivers are excellent picks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

nerd69 wrote: »
    hornets could be very very good in 2-3 years davis and rivers are excellent picks

Rivers too? Nice.

I see Odom is off to the Clippers. Interesting to say the least.

Absolutely hate the pistons taking Drummond here. They have a great center already in Greg Monroe.

They really needed more size, think Monroe's true position is more PF, great player alright though. If Drummond works out, it'll be a hell of a front-court.

Bulls pick Marquis Teague from Kentucky, brother of Atlanta's Jeff Teague. Athletic PG, I like it, wasn't happy with our backup PG play last season.

John Hollinger says: "Tremendous value pick for Bulls."

Chad Ford had him going at #19 to the Magic in his mock draft (Bulls got him at #29), and said:
    "I love this pick for the Bulls. If Teague had stayed in school one more year, he might have been a top-10 pick. He is super quick, can get to the basket and is emerging as a floor leader. With Derrick Rose out due to injury, this is a nice choice."

Has some things to work on but still only 19, and as a freshman played 30+ mins/game for the NCAA champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Kid's reaction when the Nets picked Karaman.

netskid_medium.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

what do our more educated college basketball fans think of the celts hall of sullinger and melo.

i only said it a few posts back but hornets had a huge draft and with rivers and davis on rookie contracts they can go after a big free agent next year they could be attractive new orleans is not a huge city compared to new york but its pretty big and people love the atmosphere there. 2 potential stars and tons of cap mean they could be an interesting team

Advertisement